Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148450 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #437: Feb 11, 2019 08:46:31 pm
      Mad the way it's quiet in the player thread of a player who has being doing well when that same player is usually quick to get ripped when he's been sh*te.

Joel is very underrated. As a 3rd/4th option he is a fantastic player to have.

But the lack of responses when he does well is consistent with other threads, because those who love to come in and bi*ch and moan have to generally stay quiet when the team wins or a player they don't like does well. The Bournemouth thread is only at 17 pages, while the West Ham was at 35 and that is no surprise.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #438: Feb 11, 2019 09:22:27 pm
      Reminds me of Sakho somewhat in the sense that you never fully trust him when his on the ball but every now and then he will pull a rabbit out of a hat with a majestical pass.

Just wish he was quicker on the ball and didn't take as long sorting his feet out.

Expect him to get a goal with one of his runs forward by the end of 2019.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #439: Feb 11, 2019 09:48:29 pm
      Let's judge him after Munich and Man U I don't think.he is good enough but for 4th choice and I stick by that
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #440: Feb 11, 2019 10:03:27 pm
      Let's judge him after Munich and Man U I don't think.he is good enough but for 4th choice and I stick by that

In fairness - that’s the exact opposite of what you’re doing dude 😜
      +10
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #441: Feb 11, 2019 10:52:21 pm
      I really don't get this attitude of "he's not that good but he's an okay 4th choice centre back" talk. If a player is not good enough to get into the first eleven then he is not good enough full stop. There is no middle ground, the entire purpose of having a strong squad is that you can absorb injuries and out of form players with players who are worthy of playing in the first team on merit. I agree that a centre back of the ilk of Alderweireld is going to be difficult to acquire because he will not accept the possibility of playing second fiddle to Gomez and van Dijk. There are better central defenders than Lovren or Matip out there who would come to the Club. 

I try not to bother myself with Lovren and Matip anymore but the fact remains that they are not top class defenders. They consistently make mistakes and many of these mistakes are very costly. All joking aside, i would play Hoever ahead of Matip and Lovren. They have had many chances and still they can't take them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #442: Feb 12, 2019 07:35:38 am
      I really don't get this attitude of "he's not that good but he's an okay 4th choice centre back" talk. If a player is not good enough to get into the first eleven then he is not good enough full stop. There is no middle ground, the entire purpose of having a strong squad is that you can absorb injuries and out of form players with players who are worthy of playing in the first team on merit. I agree that a centre back of the ilk of Alderweireld is going to be difficult to acquire because he will not accept the possibility of playing second fiddle to Gomez and van Dijk. There are better central defenders than Lovren or Matip out there who would come to the Club. 

I try not to bother myself with Lovren and Matip anymore but the fact remains that they are not top class defenders. They consistently make mistakes and many of these mistakes are very costly. All joking aside, i would play Hoever ahead of Matip and Lovren. They have had many chances and still they can't take them.

That’s not true though is it, no player who is good enough to potentially be a first choice is going to be happy to sit on the bench to be a 3rd or 4th choice.
      The players of that quality simply won’t sign or hang around, unless it’s an academy player looking to break into the team.

I suppose they could be enticed by huge wages but that’s unrealistic.

And that is the reason why there is a drop off in quality, hence why Matip is ok as a 3/4 choice.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2019 07:40:22 am by HScRed1 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #443: Feb 12, 2019 08:31:39 am

The ONLY team I can think of that has similar quality even at 2nd choice is Citeh and that is mostly just in attacking positions, there is no team on this planet that has the same level at 3rd/4th choice as it does at 1st choice, that would be insane and it would be impossible to keep all the players happy. Matip is an absolutely fine CB for 3rd/4th choice, there aren't many teams who have a better CB as 3rd/4th choice.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #444: Feb 12, 2019 09:23:11 am
      Every team Needs a Matip.

Look at the Utd squad throughout fergies tenure. Loads of players who can do a job but wouldn't get a look in as first choice anywhere else. Butt, P Neville, OShea immediately come to mind
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #445: Feb 12, 2019 11:14:05 am
      In fairness - that’s the exact opposite of what you’re doing dude 😜

No I'm not . I'm saying he hasn't really had a test this season and has played when we have shipped goals. Let's see how good he is when VVD not there and he has to lead the defence . Why have you got 10 likes for that post as well give them out like chocolate these days
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #446: Feb 12, 2019 11:21:58 am
      No I'm not . I'm saying he hasn't really had a test this season and has played when we have shipped goals. Let's see how good he is when VVD not there and he has to lead the defence . Why have you got 10 likes for that post as well give them out like chocolate these days

Jaysus man - I was pulling your leg. I’m guessing a few folks found the inherent contradiction as amusing as me.

What you actually said was that we should judge him after Bayern........before letting us know you’d already judged him.

Hey. Opinions, eh? Enjoy your day.

rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #447: Feb 12, 2019 02:05:44 pm
      Jaysus man - I was pulling your leg. I’m guessing a few folks found the inherent contradiction as amusing as me.

What you actually said was that we should judge him after Bayern........before letting us know you’d already judged him.

Hey. Opinions, eh? Enjoy your day.

Correct I have judged him as I don't particularly rate him  I meant others should judge after bigger tests. I was actually pulling your leg but never mind your post warranted the likes .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #448: Feb 12, 2019 02:08:28 pm
      Correct I have judged him as I don't particularly rate him  I meant others should judge after bigger tests. I was actually pulling your leg but never mind your post warranted the likes .

Ach there you go.

The trouble with text is nuance gets lost sometimes fella.

Have a good ‘un.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #449: Feb 12, 2019 02:21:08 pm
      Not sure what people were watching the other night, he was really good against Bournemouth and if I'm not mistaken, we've never lost a game that he's started this season. Some people aren't happy unless they are griping out one of our players it seems.

I think he's better than Lovren personally and while he's not on VVD's level, he compliments him well with the absence of Gomez.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #450: Feb 24, 2019 07:03:17 pm
      Shout out to Joel. Proves to be not much worse than Gomez/Lovren. Today another solid game and he was the only one who once tried a run deep into United's territory.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #451: Feb 24, 2019 09:04:59 pm
      Outstanding today.

Well in big fella.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #452: Feb 24, 2019 10:33:30 pm
      Just call him Mr. Underrated
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #453: Feb 24, 2019 10:37:51 pm
      Shout out to Joel. Proves to be not much worse than Gomez/Lovren. Today another solid game and he was the only one who once tried a run deep into United's territory.

not sure are you saying he played well or Lovren and Gomez are poor.
      He is a good player who also had some really bad injuries at the wrong time for him.
      He only had to deal with Lukaku and Sanchez so wasn't over stretched today
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #454: Feb 24, 2019 11:22:54 pm
      Like him or not, he’s been performing well of late. Says something when he was also our biggest threat going forward too!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #455: Feb 24, 2019 11:24:07 pm
      Like him or not, he’s been performing well of late. Says something when he was also our biggest threat going forward too!

Yep. One of the best ball playing center backs out there tbh.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #456: Feb 24, 2019 11:25:28 pm

I don’t think we’ve lost a game this season when he’s been playing. That has to stand for something.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #457: Feb 24, 2019 11:29:41 pm
      Yep. One of the best ball playing center backs out there tbh.

I don’t think there’s any doubt about it, if Gomez is fit then he’s first choice alongside Virgil. But for me this season, I don’t know if it’s the same with anyone else, but Lovren and Matip have been a bit of a strange case. When we lost Gomez it seemed a case of who’s the best case scenario of two average defenders based on form and when one has played they’ve done well but as usual, either Matip or Lovren got an injury and it seemed a case of “great, now we have the 4th choice liability playing”... but on the whole, they have both stepped in and proved to be good and reliable cover. Consistency has been the bigger issue for him and Lovren with us, but they’ve both done well this season. Even without Virgil vs Bayern, Matip of last season I think would have been a massive liability playing with essentially an out of position CB partner but he was very composed and had a good game.

Hopefully that makes sense. It makes sense to me but wasn’t easy trying to explain it :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #458: Feb 25, 2019 12:09:59 am
      I don’t think there’s any doubt about it, if Gomez is fit then he’s first choice alongside Virgil. But for me this season, I don’t know if it’s the same with anyone else, but Lovren and Matip have been a bit of a strange case. When we lost Gomez it seemed a case of who’s the best case scenario of two average defenders based on form and when one has played they’ve done well but as usual, either Matip or Lovren got an injury and it seemed a case of “great, now we have the 4th choice liability playing”... but on the whole, they have both stepped in and proved to be good and reliable cover. Consistency has been the bigger issue for him and Lovren with us, but they’ve both done well this season. Even without Virgil vs Bayern, Matip of last season I think would have been a massive liability playing with essentially an out of position CB partner but he was very composed and had a good game.

Hopefully that makes sense. It makes sense to me but wasn’t easy trying to explain it :D

Yep, I have to hand it Matip, he has come in a few times with no momentum and performed this season, and now getting a run of games, he is showing consistency and quality!

I have never doubted Lovren and Matip's defensive ability, but what I have doubt is their durability.... and I still do which is why I consider them a liability. Where we would potentially lose Lovren for weeks, I still have doubts Matip could fill that void long term during an intense period, vice versa with Lovren. Fortunately for us,we have had a lot of rest days between matches which has given enough recovery time for Matip, and if he can stay fit until the end of the season, maybe there is hope!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #459: Feb 25, 2019 05:59:25 am
      Can't see Lovren coming in and displacing him at the moment but if that own goal would have stood, things would deffo have been different. Couldn't understand what he was trying to do with that ball!

Quick Reply