Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148495 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #460: Feb 25, 2019 09:35:09 am
      Glad to see him getting a bit of praise. Has come in and done his thing to a good standard at a time when we were all very worried about RCB. Amazed he's stayed fit, though.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #461: Feb 25, 2019 09:37:12 am
      He kicked the ball into his own net. Could be very different discussion here had that counted.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #462: Feb 25, 2019 10:54:18 am
      He kicked the ball into his own net. Could be very different discussion here had that counted.

Yeah he got lucky there with the offside, those giraffe like legs couldn’t move quick enough with the ball fizzed across.
      Because of that I think he didn’t go for the cross at the end which Smalling thought he would clear, another phew moment.
      Kopite78
      Reply #463: Feb 25, 2019 11:05:04 am
      Played well the last few weeks

Definitely cemented his place as first change option for me behind Virgil and Gomez.

Certainly more reliable than Lovren in terms on the pitch and actually being available to get on it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #464: Feb 25, 2019 07:23:27 pm

Except it was offside so it’s irrelevant and no point discussing it. If you are going to discuss then at least start by saying how the defensive line was disciplined and played them offside instead of making it sound as though Matip was at fault if the goal had stood. To which he wouldn’t have been, it would have been the officials...again. So it wouldn’t have been a different discussion unless you are trying to pick fault for the sake of it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #465: Feb 25, 2019 07:27:28 pm

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #466: Feb 28, 2019 09:32:08 am
      Good man Matip. Solid again.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #467: Feb 28, 2019 09:43:30 am
      Been brilliant since coming in, just what we needed. However I feel as if Gomez must come back in when fit. Matip is still so capable of having that brain fart moment where he might dangle out a leg or turn one into the net.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #468: Feb 28, 2019 10:14:58 am
      I think he enjoys playing alongside VVD but who wouldn't.
      Never the less his good form has been a blessing well in Joel
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #469: Feb 28, 2019 10:26:33 am
      Has played himself into the starting 11 for me, even when Joe is back I would keep Joel in.

Made a couple of great interceptions yesterday, one time where they got in behind and he was the only thing in between the pull back and Deeney slotting it and the second where he put his head on the line to make a header with the risk of a boot to the face.

Mentioned it before when his on the ball I feel nervous but 9/10 he plays a really good pass, reminds me of Sakho when he was in form, also like the fact he isn't afraid to run at players and into space.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #470: Feb 28, 2019 03:06:39 pm
      He has been excellent the last few games, I have bee critical of him but if he can maintain this consistency until the end of the season Gomez & Lovren will have to work very hard for playing time.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #471: Feb 28, 2019 03:10:37 pm
      He has been excellent the last few games, I have bee critical of him but if he can maintain this consistency until the end of the season Gomez & Lovren will have to work very hard for playing time.

He has but I think our CB partnership of VVD & insert name here usually looks good. The acid test will be if he continues to look good on partnership with Gomez or Lovren.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #472: Feb 28, 2019 04:11:55 pm
      Yip Matip been brilliant recently, amazing what an Injury free run in the team can do for players eh. ;D.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #473: Feb 28, 2019 04:25:37 pm
      I would play him until Gomez is really 100% fit. For me, he moved ahead of Lovren in the list.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #474: Feb 28, 2019 07:13:12 pm
      I would play him until Gomez is really 100% fit. For me, he moved ahead of Lovren in the list.

Me too. I wouldn't rush Gomez back in and Dejan's fitness is pretty suspect as well.

I like a settled back four and when we're not conceding I don't see any rush to change.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #475: Feb 28, 2019 08:02:00 pm
      Joe will have to earn his place back because why would you drop Joel he has played really well especially alongside Virgil. Lets be happy this squad is the best equipped to finish of a season  in style we have had for some time.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #476: Mar 01, 2019 12:55:12 am
      Joe will have to earn his place back because why would you drop Joel he has played really well especially alongside Virgil. Lets be happy this squad is the best equipped to finish of a season  in style we have had for some time.

Agreed mate, Joe deffo has to earn his place. Joel has been fantastic.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #477: Mar 01, 2019 03:43:18 pm
      Matip is looking fitter and stronger than I've seen him. It helps playing next to the best CB in the world mind but he's form has been very very impressive.

We will look very strong in the CB positions once Joe and Dejan return.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #478: Mar 01, 2019 09:31:06 pm

Not sure about him. He was half an inch away from costing us all 3 points with his calamitous clearance into his own goal against United last week. 

Not about picking fault for the sake of it because he did it and would have done it if the lad was onside. It was a very close decision and some real poor defending.

That said he has done the job a 4th choice centre half is at best going to do so far. He is important to us now and we need him to keep contributing to clean sheets.

In a similar way to the Origi/Firmino situation, as soon as the first choice player in Gomez is match fit, I'd be looking to get him back in the side.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #479: Mar 02, 2019 12:21:27 am
      Not sure about him. He was half an inch away from costing us all 3 points with his calamitous clearance into his own goal against United last week. 

Not about picking fault for the sake of it because he did it and would have done it if the lad was onside. It was a very close decision and some real poor defending.

That said he has done the job a 4th choice centre half is at best going to do so far. He is important to us now and we need him to keep contributing to clean sheets.

In a similar way to the Origi/Firmino situation, as soon as the first choice player in Gomez is match fit, I'd be looking to get him back in the side.

Agreed mate and I still think Gomez will have to prove himself fit before he comes back in but you are right, that OG would have been disastrous and just reinforces my earlier belief that he has a monumental calamitous moment in him and that scares the sh*t out of me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #480: Mar 02, 2019 10:46:07 am
      Agreed mate and I still think Gomez will have to prove himself fit before he comes back in but you are right, that OG would have been disastrous and just reinforces my earlier belief that he has a monumental calamitous moment in him and that scares the sh*t out of me.

Yep just because it didn't count doesn't mean it didn't happen. If any other club were scouting him in that game they wouldn't ignore it because the crosser was a toe nail offside.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #481: Mar 14, 2019 12:23:05 am
      Aside from the own goal he was absolutely superb tonight. He's done a fine job at the back and has firmly planted Lovren on the subs bench.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #482: Mar 14, 2019 12:38:41 am
      Aside from the own goal he was absolutely superb tonight. He's done a fine job at the back and has firmly planted Lovren on the subs bench.

And Gomez, who will have to earn his job back.

Quick Reply