Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148449 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #483: Mar 14, 2019 01:04:36 am
      Aside from the own goal he was absolutely superb tonight. He's done a fine job at the back and has firmly planted Lovren on the subs bench.

Own goal really wasn’t his fault and not much he could do. Thought he was really good though like you said he’s solidly our number 2 CB right now.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #484: Mar 14, 2019 01:44:54 am
      My MOTM tonight simply because he didn't let his head drop after the OG.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #485: Mar 14, 2019 07:04:38 am
      Thought he had an exceptional game.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #486: Mar 14, 2019 07:58:22 am
      I like Matip, he’s about as good as you’ll get for a backup CB
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #487: Mar 14, 2019 11:17:28 am
      OG should not be held against him, if he didn't make an attempt to get there it would have been an easy tap in for Lewandoski.

The bigger thing to take away from that game was how after scoring an OG his confidence remained the same, his hunger to be on the ball and actually move forward with the ball was really encouraging for me.

Would keep him in until Joe outperforms him in training or his performances wavier quite a bit when starting.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #488: Mar 14, 2019 01:18:19 pm
      Think Joel has nailed down that starting spot for the foreseeable future, which is good because we shouldn't feel the need to rush Joe back until he is ready.

He's got a touch of Sakho too him, but I think we've still not lost this season when he starts for us. That's a heck of a stat.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #489: Mar 14, 2019 01:37:33 pm
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #490: Mar 14, 2019 03:01:22 pm
      Think Joel has nailed down that starting spot for the foreseeable future, which is good because we shouldn't feel the need to rush Joe back until he is ready.

He's got a touch of Sakho too him, but I think we've still not lost this season when he starts for us. That's a heck of a stat.

TBH Sakho looked clumsy like a donkey at times but I think he was deceptively good on the ball and a good passer too. I honestly liked him as a player. Just a bad attitude to go with it.

Anyway, I wouldn't drop Matip. People blaming him for the OG have never a single game played in their lives, or they would know from his body position and where the ball was going there was no way he was putting that over the ba,  apart from pulling some ninja sh*t out of a kung fu movie. You could see it in his face too, he wasn't feeling ashamed, he was angry at Robbo.

Second choice CB for me until Gomez wins his spot back. Healthy competition is always a good thing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #491: Mar 14, 2019 04:20:13 pm
      TBH Sakho looked clumsy like a donkey at times but I think he was deceptively good on the ball and a good passer too. I honestly liked him as a player. Just a bad attitude to go with it.

Anyway, I wouldn't drop Matip. People blaming him for the OG have never a single game played in their lives, or they would know from his body position and where the ball was going there was no way he was putting that over the ba,  apart from pulling some ninja sh*t out of a kung fu movie. You could see it in his face too, he wasn't feeling ashamed, he was angry at Robbo.

Second choice CB for me until Gomez wins his spot back. Healthy competition is always a good thing.

Yea actually didn’t mean the Sakho remark as a bad thing, just that there’s times when he “looks” clumsy even though he isn’t. I always liked Sakho. I’d certainly have him ahead of Lovren but his attitude must have been poor.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #492: Mar 14, 2019 05:33:44 pm
      Matip been very very good of late, Ive said it before its amazing what a proper run of games injury free can do for anyone.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #493: Mar 14, 2019 05:49:05 pm
      Matip been very very good of late, Ive said it before its amazing what a proper run of games injury free can do for anyone.

I agree, thought was a bit of a liability after Gomez and Zlovten went down but his form has steadily improved over the last couple of months. He is still prone to the occasional heart wrenching gaffe but those have become much less frequent and his partnership with VVD has grown plus we have the clean sheets to prove it.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #494: Mar 14, 2019 05:58:39 pm
      Joel Beckenbaur I'll call him from now on
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #495: Mar 14, 2019 10:47:46 pm
      Can't blame him for that OG but having said that, if he hadn't off stuck it in his net, I felt, watching it again that even Lewandowski that sook, might have missed it, as the height of the ball was on the way up, felt if anything Lewandowski might have knocked it in off his stomach or could have missed it altogether.

I may have been severely stoned at the time!  :lmao: :lmao:
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #496: Mar 15, 2019 04:45:18 am
      Matip played very well against Lewandowski. He has been in great form for a while. Part of it is just getting the time to find form and the other part is the man next to him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #497: Mar 15, 2019 08:03:32 am
      Matip played very well against Lewandowski. He has been in great form for a while. Part of it is just getting the time to find form and the other part is the man next to him.

Made Lewandowski look sh*t, Matip has done really well since getting back in the team and deserves his spot full time now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #498: Apr 09, 2019 03:03:01 pm
      https://twitter.com/k8a_naby/status/1115544991936450560?s=21

I actually remember thinking we needed some of this at the time as we weren’t able to pass forward with any momentum. Well in Matip.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #499: Apr 09, 2019 03:13:19 pm
      https://twitter.com/k8a_naby/status/1115544991936450560?s=21

I actually remember thinking we needed some of this at the time as we weren’t able to pass forward with any momentum. Well in Matip.

That play in the video is what led to the Mane header from up close where he hit it too close to Gunn but was basically our best scoring opportunity up to that point in the game. Matip is no stranger to dribbling past midfield which has helped us on a few occasions open up the other team.

He's a very underrated defender who cost nothing and do not believe is on crazy high wages. A definite keeper.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #500: Apr 09, 2019 03:22:54 pm

No he's not, he's a defender.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #501: Apr 09, 2019 04:03:24 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #502: Apr 09, 2019 11:03:29 pm
      Wonder if he comes back in for Chel$ki game?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #503: Apr 09, 2019 11:04:21 pm
      Wonder if he comes back in for Chel$ki game?

I hope so!!!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #504: Apr 21, 2019 08:41:34 pm
      He hasn't half turned things around. If only he can stay fit, would be happy for him to be the third choice centre back.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #505: Apr 21, 2019 10:28:25 pm
      Been absolutely superb since coming in.

Quick Reply