Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148440 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #667: Dec 05, 2020 03:22:38 pm
      He looks very likely to start the match against Wolves it seems

Providing he doesn't break between now and tomorrow :laugh:
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #668: Dec 07, 2020 05:09:26 pm
      Excellent last night, loved his goal celebration.
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #669: Dec 08, 2020 01:28:27 pm
      Excellent last night, loved his goal celebration.
      yeah man ;D, he always seems very delighted after scoring a goal
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #670: Dec 08, 2020 01:29:48 pm
      yeah man ;D, he always seems very delighted after scoring a goal

Bloody hell every time I see this thread pop up I expect hear about a new injury.

I really hope he can stay fit for a while not, we really need him, quality defender.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #671: Dec 08, 2020 02:27:00 pm
      Honestly, if Matip had Gini's availability, I'd have trouble not ranking him as one of the best CB's in the world. When he's fit, he's just phenomenal.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #672: Dec 08, 2020 04:46:17 pm
      Honestly, if Matip had Gini's availability, I'd have trouble not ranking him as one of the best CB's in the world. When he's fit, he's just phenomenal.

Fair shout
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #673: Jan 06, 2021 12:30:07 pm
      Needsba change of role at the club. Well documented that he has his injury problems but if we can give him a role of playing 1 every 2 or 3 games he will be a very valuable asset to have.

For that we would need to buy a defender for the short and long term who is competing to play week in week out with Virgin and Joe.

They will all get games make no mistake. sh*t happens and injuries occur and if you are the third and fourth defender there's every chance you can play 20 games a season.

His role at the moment has exposed him to injuries.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #674: Jan 06, 2021 12:40:40 pm
      Needsba change of role at the club. Well documented that he has his injury problems but if we can give him a role of playing 1 every 2 or 3 games he will be a very valuable asset to have.

For that we would need to buy a defender for the short and long term who is competing to play week in week out with Virgin and Joe.

They will all get games make no mistake. Sh*t happens and injuries occur and if you are the third and fourth defender there's every chance you can play 20 games a season.

His role at the moment has exposed him to injuries.

Id have a very different approach to be honest.

Come the summer Joel, Shaq and Naby would be saying goodbye. 3 good players and 3 I like. But the injury record of all 3 is shocking. None if any are serioys injuries, all muscle..How many times have you heard Matip felt a twinge or felt a pain after a knock?? Its a contact sport youll get a knock and you will feel pains. Does not mean its serious and doesnt mean you miss 3 games over it, come back play a game feel sore and go again for 3 games.

Id wager at least 2 of his recent spells out someone like a Carragher or a Tommy Smith play through feel a bit of pain but know they have a game in them..Not sure Joel has a strong head on him, think hes gone at the first sign of a pain
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #675: Jan 06, 2021 01:52:29 pm
      Id have a very different approach to be honest.

Come the summer Joel, Shaq and Naby would be saying goodbye. 3 good players and 3 I like. But the injury record of all 3 is shocking. None if any are serioys injuries, all muscle..How many times have you heard Matip felt a twinge or felt a pain after a knock?? Its a contact sport youll get a knock and you will feel pains. Does not mean its serious and doesnt mean you miss 3 games over it, come back play a game feel sore and go again for 3 games.

Id wager at least 2 of his recent spells out someone like a Carragher or a Tommy Smith play through feel a bit of pain but know they have a game in them..Not sure Joel has a strong head on him, think hes gone at the first sign of a pain

I'd keep Keita for another season and sell Ox instead.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #676: Jan 06, 2021 02:04:50 pm
      I'd keep Keita for another season and sell Ox instead.

Id sell Ox, Keita, Shaq and Matip, its insane to have so many injury prone players in the squad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #677: Jan 06, 2021 02:35:19 pm
      Id sell Ox, Keita, Shaq and Matip, its insane to have so many injury prone players in the squad.

to be fair to Ox, his injuries have been serious, I wouldnt call him injury prone. The other 3 are always injured. Broken finger nail would rule them boys out for 3 games
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #678: Jan 06, 2021 04:47:27 pm

Use them for a trade-like deal. Just as an (theoretic) example: Keita + Matip for Alaba in January.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #679: Jan 06, 2021 05:25:30 pm
      He will be back for Utd game
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #680: Jan 07, 2021 03:48:00 pm
      great newss, Hendo in defence doesnt work well I feel
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #681: Jan 07, 2021 04:05:07 pm

Great news indeed, but CB actually has been the least of our problems lately. Trent has been shambolic defensively and our offense, particularly Salah, have had their head stuck up their ass.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #682: Jan 07, 2021 07:15:01 pm
      Great news indeed, but CB actually has been the least of our problems lately. Trent has been shambolic defensively and our offense, particularly Salah, have had their head stuck up their ass.

True enough but would feel better if Matip at back
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #683: Jan 07, 2021 08:19:41 pm

Echo has Klopp saying "He is in a good way but if it will be United or a few days later, I don’t know."

Would be great to have him back.

As for Trent, I was moaning about him against Southampton, and he was poor, but he is being asked to sit back (or at least he is sitting back) to cover our right CB. It's not his strength, and it is also affecting our whole attack down the right side, including Mo. Getting Matip back in would let Trent go forward again and really help our attack as well as defence.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #684: Jan 08, 2021 04:50:02 am
      Echo has Klopp saying "He is in a good way but if it will be United or a few days later, I don’t know."

Would be great to have him back.

As for Trent, I was moaning about him against Southampton, and he was poor, but he is being asked to sit back (or at least he is sitting back) to cover our right CB. It's not his strength, and it is also affecting our whole attack down the right side, including Mo. Getting Matip back in would let Trent go forward again and really help our attack as well as defence.

Totally agreed mate re TAA and Mo. Someone keep saying the makeshifts and non-experience young CBs not affect us that much as we not concede many goals, but the problem is up front as we scores very few recently. I'm very surprised, really as anyone surely can see how Klopp's team play. 
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #685: Jan 08, 2021 08:15:19 pm
      Totally agreed mate re TAA and Mo. Someone keep saying the makeshifts and non-experience young CBs not affect us that much as we not concede many goals, but the problem is up front as we scores very few recently. I'm very surprised, really as anyone surely can see how Klopp's team play.
      Quite true, hendo was actually more than decent at centre back, so has Fabinho
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #686: Jan 09, 2021 09:43:06 am
      Do we reckon if he’s fit in time for the United game, he starts? I feel in usual circumstances Klopp wouldn’t risk him but given the lack of options and the opposition, I reckon he starts.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #687: Jan 09, 2021 10:58:24 am
      Do we reckon if he’s fit in time for the United game, he starts? I feel in usual circumstances Klopp wouldn’t risk him but given the lack of options and the opposition, I reckon he starts.

Has to IMO there forwards will have a field day even with him and Fab I am worried due to the lack of pace
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #688: Jan 14, 2021 10:28:46 am
      Any updates? Think if hes not doing full training today forget about him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #689: Jan 14, 2021 01:21:46 pm
      Any updates? Think if hes not doing full training today forget about him

but then the question is who to play in CB and midfield, I think I'd be tempted to go with Hendo and Fabinho and then have a more attacking midfield of Thiago, Shaq and Gini, that could actually work quite nicely allowing Hendo and Fabinho to combine CB with DM work, plus would give us a hell of a counter punch, even if Utd sit deep.

Quick Reply