Trending Topics

Peter Beardsley

Read 2519 times
      Kopite78
      Peter Beardsley
      Feb 19, 2016 06:39:28 pm
      I was listening to the below the other day, second interview down where Hunter interviews Beardo and its made me reminisce about the lad over the last few days, im sure plenty of us have watched him over the years and remember him, if you aren't familiar then id suggest you look back on him.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/big-interview-graham-hunter/id988360681?mt=2

He was a wonderful footballer, brought by Kenny as part of the trio who replaced the outgoing Ian Rush alongside John Barnes and John Aldridge and those three formed the attack of arguably one of the finest Liverpool sides in our history.
      Style wise he was in the Messi/Suarez mould, I used to love watching him play, he was one of those who saw the entire game in his head as it was playing out he was ahead of it, that little shimmy he did which looked so simple but worked so often, little back lift when he hit his shots.. A pure joy, what id do to have a modern Beardsley now.

In 1987 Beardsley had twelve months of his contract to run and the Newcastle manager said unless he signed a new three-year deal the club was ready to let him go. Liverpool had sold Ian Rush to Juventus for £3.2million and wanted to spend more than half of that on the Geordie. "Kenny was the one who told me to ask for more money when I was ­negotiating my move to Liverpool. I was going to ask for less than I eventually got. He told me I was the club's record signing at the time and so I should be asking for wages that reflected that. I would do anything for that man. The man is a genius." Beardsley agreed terms with Liverpool inside an hour and the club paid a British record fee of £1.9million for his services.

He was let go by Souness way too early for me in 1991 and I was gutted when we sold him to the Blues, I was even more gutted when he scored for them against us but they got near on 100 games out of him and 30 odd goals before he went back to Newcastle to be part of Keegan's attack minded side that nearly won the league, setting up so many for Andy Cole, making him IMO.

He tells the below story about coming back to Anfield as an Everton player.

"Just before the game the Kop chanted my name and I don't suppose that's happened too many times, an Everton player getting his name chanted by the Kop. But during the game, with Liverpool winning, the crowd started to chant, 'What a waste of talent!' The Kop were a bit special to me on that day and I won't ever forget it."

He was part of my youth, I was gutted as a young lad when Rush left, shattered but we replaced him with two of my favourite players of all time in Beardsley and Barnes, it didn't work out too badly.

I know things are tough right now, but sit back and watch these videos of Beardsley and I guarantee you will either fall in love for the first time or remember one of the greatest reds sides ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0X6-RsrmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkSDVlXDw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYil_M0F_3s

He was part of this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwWS3FoQ2g

Enjoy.

Any reds my age or older, whats your memories?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Re: Peter Beardsley
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2016 07:13:47 pm
      Fantastic player and as I've said on here a few times the '87/'88 side is the first I really remember properly and used to watch that season video constantly.

Barnes was always my favourite in that team but watching him along with Beardsley, Aldo and the rest was a joy.

Beardo playing today would be worth a fortune and would easily slot into any of the top modern sides.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2016 07:16:46 pm
      he was like Couthino only a much much better goal scoring record. got me thinking about the team now and the team then. In Our successful teams all the players were desperate to be involved during the game everyone keen to leave their mark and Beardo never stopped running always creating space or always using the ball well. Brilliant player who like others have said should never have gone.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2016 07:39:55 pm
      Made OK strikers look good, made good strikers look great, made great strikers look world class.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2016 09:13:16 pm
      Hunter has released another interview with Gary Mac in case any of yous are interested.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2016 12:04:40 am
      One of the things i'll never forgive Souness For , Beardsley was F***ing terrific sure twas him that thought Suarez to nutmeg .
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2016 11:22:22 am
      Without doubt the most unselfish forward I've ever seen in my time watching football. His game intelligence was of the very top drawer, can still remember his run against Forest (the game we did the 2nd best team in the land 5-0 at home) where he hit the bar, I'm sure it's still shaking now!

His partnerships with Aldo, Lineker and Cole proven what a rare talent he was, he was a goal sniffers dream partner. So wished he'd stayed longer as along with Barnesy was a real idol of mine growing up. He looked after himself and played at the very top till well in his late 30's. The game could do with a lot more Beardo's these days.
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016 03:44:57 am by Fowler#23 »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2016 03:23:06 pm
      When we were having a staff reshuffle under Rodgers, he was top of my list to bring in, hes well thought of in Newcastle, not only as a player, but a coach too, he's like Klopp in a way, his enthusiasm is infectious and it makes the youngsters he trains want to play for him.

Quick Reply