Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

How many Scousers should be in the squad?

Read 7145 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: How many Scousers should be in the squad?
      Reply #46: Mar 04, 2016 08:56:06 pm
      Not sure. 11? None?

We were so lucky with this guy because he was Scouse, a Captain and a real leader

Says it all.

Without Stevie and Carra we've lost our DNA ........ Flanno the only flag bearer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Mar 04, 2016 10:35:23 pm
      It's not a case of how many do we need, but i think more should be done on tapping into scouse talent. Fair do's we should be scouting the planet for the most talented youngsters around, but I think theres been too many foreign imports flooding our youth teams in the last decade.

What does annoy me is that players like Flanno will always be overlooked by the footballing hipsters who go out of there way to try and seem intelligent who tell us that he's limited and raw etc... They are trying too hard.

He has something in him that most foreign players do not and that is a a true desire to see us win. It also helps as well with him being full of natural footballing ability.

He shouldn't be overlooked, and nor should any like him because he comes from these parts.

We shouldn't be scared to celebrate our own by these hipster pretenders. He's good and scouse and that is just perfect.

Doesn't mean we choose birthplaces over talent, but I saw it with Carra and Gerrard too. Faint praise and backhanded compliments from a certain few. These players were or are here on merit. Most of the time they have done it the hard way, forcing themselves in front of high profile, highly paid and paid for players. We can't keep beating on them because they aint fashionably foreign.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #48: Mar 04, 2016 10:42:49 pm
      is this a genuine thread?

what next? someone gonna suggest how many blue eyed players? how many with names who start with the letter S?
       :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #49: Mar 04, 2016 11:14:42 pm
      I think we should always aspire to a 'beating Scouse heart' as Ged put it but not at the expense of quality.

Having said that I feel that there probably has been players we could have brought through, even if only as squad options, who were local instead of spending money.

But I also understand why managers gave trusted the transfer market given the pressure to get results.

Not sure we could have mate. Who has left Liverpool and gone on to have a decent career with another prem side?

Most of them fade into the lower divisions or even semi-pro. Maybe some do lose heart and never get it back when they are forced to leave Liverpool, but I am sure the majority give it their all no matter where they go... but just aren't good enough for the top level.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #50: Mar 04, 2016 11:47:25 pm
      Liverpool FC like it or not is a global brand hence why we have members from Aus, Europe and in fact all over the globe.

Why are they fans......because of our history and European exploits so I doubt they look at the number of Scouse players in the team, it's all about winning otherwise our successful history will count for nothing with the younger generation because most of them have never seen us win the League.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #51: Mar 05, 2016 12:26:47 am
      It's not a case of how many do we need, but i think more should be done on tapping into scouse talent. Fair do's we should be scouting the planet for the most talented youngsters around, but I think theres been too many foreign imports flooding our youth teams in the last decade.

What does annoy me is that players like Flanno will always be overlooked by the footballing hipsters who go out of there way to try and seem intelligent who tell us that he's limited and raw etc... They are trying too hard.

He has something in him that most foreign players do not and that is a a true desire to see us win. It also helps as well with him being full of natural footballing ability.

He shouldn't be overlooked, and nor should any like him because he comes from these parts.

We shouldn't be scared to celebrate our own by these hipster pretenders. He's good and scouse and that is just perfect.

Doesn't mean we choose birthplaces over talent, but I saw it with Carra and Gerrard too. Faint praise and backhanded compliments from a certain few. These players were or are here on merit. Most of the time they have done it the hard way, forcing themselves in front of high profile, highly paid and paid for players. We can't keep beating on them because they aint fashionably foreign.

Excellent post - this is what I was trying to get at.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Mar 05, 2016 10:48:35 am
      There are Scousers and then there are Honorary Scousers .

Molby    Sami    Pepe   et al.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #53: Mar 05, 2016 11:34:09 am
      We need minimum one brilliant Scouser in the starting XI to transmit the passion and knowledge of Liverpool. Then we need passionate players that are not afriad to risk their lifes wearing our pride shirt. Foreigners players can be brilliant adopted Scouser (like us foreign passionate fans) example: Suarez, Alonso, Mascherano, Hyypia, Riise, Hamann, Dalglish and many more over the years.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #54: Mar 05, 2016 11:36:01 am
      is this a genuine thread?

what next? someone gonna suggest how many blue eyed players? how many with names who start with the letter S?
       :mad:

Whoa I +1'd you by accident.

I don't get why people have a problem with a club having players from the area that club is based in.
       It's not about catering to everyone around the world. It should be a law that you scout and have players from the area a club is in. Have to have a certain number.
      Imagine Tranmere having a team full of mancs or something. How is that acceptable?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,290 posts | 1664 
      Reply #55: Mar 05, 2016 12:12:11 pm
      Wouldnt bother me if it was 0, 1 or 11 obviously would rather have at least 2 or 3 but tbh I do not care as long as they care and play for the shirt and give 100%  a mixture of nationalitys can work as long as they have the right mentality
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #56: Mar 05, 2016 12:30:06 pm
      However many are required to win titles and trophies.

I'd like to see a minimum of 2-3 in the squad though as local fans (for any team) identify and relate with local players.  They represent the pride and joy of that region and that relationship is part of what keeps clubs and fans connected.  Also, since local fans are usually the ones paying the extortionate ticket prices, I think it's a small request to have a few local lads that they can get excited about.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #57: Mar 05, 2016 03:24:12 pm
      No you haven't - you've just managed to ruin another thread with this tedious bollocks chasing me around looking for an argument - in fact as you admitted to doing a few days ago.

Everyone can see what you're up to. I'm not engaging with you - hopefully the mods will do something about it before you f**k up the entire forum.
      Question:- Is there some sort of Bromance going on between you and eurored ?   >:D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Mar 05, 2016 06:44:33 pm
      Question:- Is there some sort of Bromance going on between you and eurored ?   >:D

Is there f**k    ;D    / 

At least if I'm mixing it with him hes leaving others alone.
      Its called keeping him occupied  ;D
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 670 posts | 87 
      Reply #59: Mar 05, 2016 11:47:05 pm
      What an interesting question.  What if we found 11 Messis from say Wrexham, Preston, Skelmersdale, Afc Fylde. Lancaster, Chester etc etc and we won the league.  How Many Chelsea players were born down the old King Road last season? That said it would be great if we could have a core but absolutely not essential if there are much better players.

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #60: Mar 06, 2016 12:08:40 pm
      I think its important to have local lads in the squad but too many of our supporters over rate our own.

The likes of Warnock, Mellor,  Thompson, Spearing and Kelly in recent years were nowhere near good enough but they were kept on longer than they perhaps should because of their background. Had they been dutch or French they wouldn't have lasted two minutes.

To take the two last examples (don't have good enough memory to remember how well the others did), Kelly was a very decent player who was regularly considered same level as Johnson (if more defensive) here and got largely praised by the press as one of the rare good surprises in Hodgson and Kenny spells, leading to one selection in national team. Less unfortunate with injuries he could certainly have ended a good player for us.
      And even after, I don't think anyone would have complained had we kept him in the squad (by the way he looks like a regular starter in a team we regularly have difficulties to defeat, which is certainly the required level for LFC squad players, if he wasn't going to be first choice here).

Jay Spearing of course was of a more limited ability. But remember how well he did during Kenny's best run of games in his caretaker spell, in some match reports you'd find his performances of those days praised as Mascherano-like. He was a demonstration of the merit to have some local lads in the team, ultra motivated players able to up their game in times of need.
      Of course it can be said he also showed the drawback of betting on them, as his 2010-11 performances were so good they convinced the King we weren't in need of another DM in case of Lucas injury, a choice bitting him in the arse the next season.  And Spearo ultra-motivation can be seen as responsible of the unecessary challenge that got him banned for several games at the worse moment just when Lucas was injured again (then he returned to the team when just everyone was devoid of confidence and playing the worst football seen in Liverpool since Souness era, so if he gave like everyone else some woeful performances it's a bit harsh to judge him on them).  I'd say with a bit of luck (ie : not being banned for 5 games for a challenge where he actually got the ball, and the whole team not underperforming) he certainly could have reproduced his 2011 form and been judged decent enough to stay one or two more years.

Anyway I'm not saying we should still have them in the squad, but in the two cases there were good arguements (ie : their actual performances at least in some spells) to give them at least the chances they got.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #61: Mar 06, 2016 04:17:44 pm
      Anything less than 4 homegrown in a matchday (first XI and bench) squad then that's a failure of the Academy in my opinion.

I'm not saying fill such a quota with any average player, but if we are failing to develop players good enough, then the club has to take a long hard look at itself.

If Man Utd are creating players worthy of a matchday squad even under their joke of a last few years, then there's no excuse. I refuse to believe that any talented player will just automatically get in a squad without the coaching.

That's completely wrong - top quality coaching is essential and the recruitment process for kids has to be greater. It's embarrassing that Everton's youth has given more in the last decade or so - shockingly embarrassing.

This all changes now - scout the talented kids, get them in the Academy, and hopefully, our new Academy coaching infrastructure reaps the rewards and nurtures them to great effect. Because the Academy since the golden generation of McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Carra, Gerrard has produced barely anything of note. Appalling standards.

And then once we produce decent players of our own, we won't have to allow the cretinoius wankers in the committee wreck havoc and waste £10 million on useless squad players from abroad. tw*ts.

Quick Reply