Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (1.9%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      4 (2.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      81 (50.3%)
      Jon Flanagan
      4 (2.5%)
      Emre Can
      32 (19.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.6%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      13 (8.1%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      13 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Mar 10, 2016 03:37:21 pm

Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points

Read 38356 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points
      Reply #736: Mar 06, 2016 10:26:56 pm
      Gonna be honest now, and probably piss a few off.
      For me a penalty is awarded for FOUL PLAY committed inside the 18 yd box.
      It's a contact sport! Contact alone is not a foul !
      I've been calling for replays like they have in every other sport, contact or not, to determine the correct decision, and eliminate the cheating.

The point I have highlighted is indeed correct, however there are exceptions to the rule as I (and The FA themselves) have pointed out below:

Quote from: TheFA.com Website
      A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
      trips or attempts to trip an opponent
      jumps at an opponent
      charges an opponent
      strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
      pushes an opponent
      tackles an opponent

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx#0OkoChlRJg5EDCIU.99

First, the tackle was careless. There was intention to begin with, despite (unsuccessfully) pulling out.

In addition, it tripped Benteke, who was travelling at speed with the ball under his control. Therefore, it is deemed as a careless challenge with every intention to trip an opponent. Why? Because while Benteke was running, his heel was clipped which was deemed enough to bring him down.

It would be given as a free kick outside the box, thus it was given as a penalty.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #737: Mar 06, 2016 10:28:02 pm
      Gonna be honest now, and probably piss a few off.

Sorry, but that contact prevented Benteke from a possible goal scoring opportunity. The defender was in a poor defensive position and tried to make a rash challenge...thought better of it but it was too late....too effing bad.  It's a penalty all day long.

Had it happened anywhere else on the field outside the box, it's called without hesitation or discussion.

Had it been called against us, I'd have had a go at whatever numbnuts, brain dead defender had lunged in (probably would have been Moreno let's be honest).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #738: Mar 06, 2016 10:46:12 pm
      I'm not sure what I enjoyed most after watching the highlights.

Us winning the game or Pardew's post match interview.

What a F***ing bitter bellend. ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #739: Mar 06, 2016 11:58:32 pm
      Sorry, but that contact prevented Benteke from a possible goal scoring opportunity. The defender was in a poor defensive position and tried to make a rash challenge...thought better of it but it was too late....too effing bad.  It's a penalty all day long.

Had it happened anywhere else on the field outside the box, it's called without hesitation or discussion.

Had it been called against us, I'd have had a go at whatever numbnuts, brain dead defender had lunged in (probably would have been Moreno let's be honest).
      Totally agree with Gerns on this.... If the penalty had been given against us you would be spitting venom claiming it was never a penalty, and rightly so.... we stole two goals to day, and one who thinks different needs their head examined..... But the three points,closing the gap on four place and most of all the look on Perdew's face is just gold and I am over the moon with it  ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #740: Mar 07, 2016 12:24:42 am

Get in lads...especially Kolo with his bottle of Heinz Ketchup

:lmao:

Good to see Origi brought his packed lunch.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #741: Mar 07, 2016 12:30:15 am

Football, sadly, stopped being a contact sport a long long time ago.  Look at the number of soft handballs that get given.  Milner's two yellows were hardly dangerous were they?  Do you think in the Souness era they would have even been called free kicks?

I agree with you in what I THINK the sport should be like but the rules are the rules. 

He tripped Benteke up.  Not with his foot but with his sliding knees.  It was a definite penalty. 

If the penalty had been given against us you would be spitting venom claiming it was never a penalty, and rightly so.... we stole two goals to day, and one who thinks different needs their head examined.....

If one of our players had slid in on his knees and tripped someone up I'd be calling them a bellend.  As for stealing two goals? That's football.  Look at the mistake our keeper made in the cup final.  Man City 'stole' that goal - it got them to penalties and they won a trophy at OUR expense.  Just last week.

An opposing goalkeeper making a mistake after all the ones our keeper makes is a long time overdue.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #742: Mar 07, 2016 01:28:30 am
      Get the F**k in.

F**k you Crystal Palace

F**k you Pardew and

F**k you Dwight Gayle...didn't score against us this time you c**t!

Made up with that win, didn't follow the Match Report Live but posted as soon as Tekkers slotted it home

What a win against the odds.

Made F***ing up and can't wait to see that c**t Pardews face in the presser. Stupid slimey F***ing c**t.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #743: Mar 07, 2016 01:51:23 am
      Was ready to come in here and talk about the season petering out like an agonizing death.

F**k, we were lucky, just as lucky as we were against Bournemouth.  :f_whistle:

Klopp got the team wrong today IMO. We didn't muster our first shot until 65 mins into the game with their reserve keeper on the field.

A forward line of Origi, Lallana and Firmino backed up by an average midfield made us look like an anonymous attack.

I was screaming for Klopp to make the double sub of Sturridge and Coutinho straight after their goal. And he waited and waited and and it was painful to watch. We were going nowhere.

In fairness, Coutinho wasn't that good when he came on and then finally, he brought the ineffective Origi off for Benteke who with his first touch had a shot on target, more than Origi managed to muster in 78 mins.

Then, the big Beligian won us a slightly fortuitous penalty and slotted it home with proper calmness.

Migs: Made a great brave save in the first half, and didn't have to much to do but what he did do he did okay. 7

Flanagan: Okay. Poor work in the final third but as ever defensively reliant. 6

Lovren: MoTM Got through his work without any fuss, broke everything up, won his headers and did a great job. 8

Sahko: Did well. 7

Moreno: One of the brain farts better games, too rash in the challenge mind but he escaped his usual calamities. 7

Milner: Poor, he was just as anonymous when he was on the pitch as he was off it after a second yellow. 5

Henderson: Anonymous. Our anonymous captain simply isn't good enough, fed-up watching him in all honesty. 3

Can: Our best midfielder again today 7

Firmino: Mostly anonymous throughout. After his assist for Palace's first goal the only way we ever looked like scoring was if Palace were going to gift us a goal. Thankfully, Firmino tucked the gift away nicely. 6

Lallana: Anonymous. 3

Origi: Anonymous. 3

Benteke: Did the same, if not more than our entire front 3 in the 15 minutes he was on, slotted home the pen under massive pressure. Hardly plays and is our second top score. 7

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #744: Mar 07, 2016 03:01:41 am
      Totally agree with Gerns on this.... If the penalty had been given against us you would be spitting venom claiming it was never a penalty, and rightly so.... we stole two goals to day, and one who thinks different needs their head examined..... But the three points,closing the gap on four place and most of all the look on Perdew's face is just gold and I am over the moon with it  ;D
      Don't tell me what my reaction would be, because you don't know, I however do know what my reaction would be. That is all.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #745: Mar 07, 2016 07:54:40 am
      Emre, Lovren and Moreno played very well. It was a dive or very very soft penalty  in my opinion, however I don't give a F**k about that. We won and that is the most important thing.

Plus, I got my prediction right as well and I'm trying to catch Srs.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #746: Mar 07, 2016 07:59:44 am
      United supporting wankers in the media - that's the answer for your bafflement.

the same people who stayed quiet about golden boy vardy's dive to get the pen v arsenal, in a serious note they are talking about using videos for things like penalties, how the F**k will they decide if ours was or not, tossing a coin ?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #747: Mar 07, 2016 08:05:06 am
      I smashed a coffee cup against the wall when the ref sent Milner off, it's about 9 p.m. and my wife waked up, she came to see and after looked at the monitor she laugh at me and said 'ah, your team playing against Barcelona I know that's the team Messi playing for...' then she went back to sleep again. F**k Barcelona, that CP's shirt look a bit similar too so can't blame her :\

After Benteke score a penalty I shouted like a mad so my wife wake up again but this time she got a hard lesson from me, great night ha ha...

:scarf:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #748: Mar 07, 2016 08:49:39 am
      Fantastico, superb comeback. And yes its a penner.

Whats maybe going unnoticed in recent games, is how much more solid we have become, we are now only letting the odd goal in, we are top of form guide in EPL for last 6 games. Superb.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #749: Mar 07, 2016 09:41:16 am
      How are people still debating if it was a penalty or not.

It doesn't matter how soft it was or how easily Benteke went down, the replay shows there was a contact and the defender was nowhere near the ball, therefore its a penalty.

There is nothing to discuss.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #750: Mar 07, 2016 09:45:16 am
      If one of our players had slid in on his knees and tripped someone up I'd be calling them a bellend.
      So anytime a player comes in contact with another player it is a "Free Kick" or a "Penalty"?..... People holding off players with thier arms are all free kicks?.... How about if they jump to head a ball?.....Funny how the ref did not see it that way, but the lines man did
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #751: Mar 07, 2016 09:45:36 am
      This is the type of thing that all Ardent supporters form all Clubs will always claim if give for them, but will always deny if awarded against them
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #752: Mar 07, 2016 10:01:06 am
      So anytime a player comes in contact with another player it is a "Free Kick" or a "Penalty"?..... People holding off players with thier arms are all free kicks?.... How about if they jump to head a ball?.....Funny how the ref did not see it that way, but the lines man did

If they challenge for the ball, and win the ball, contact is obviously allowed.  If they don't win the ball and contact is used - it is a foul.

There was contact on Benteke, doesn't matter if it was minimal or not there was definite contact, and the defender doesn't win the ball. So its a foul and its a penalty.

How can anybody disagree with that?

Kopite78
      Reply #753: Mar 07, 2016 10:42:08 am

This is the type of thing that all Ardent supporters form all Clubs will always claim if give for them, but will always deny if awarded against them

Nah

If that went against us id be fu**ed off, at the time probably think the world is a c**t but ultimately watching it back id know that was a penalty

It was a foul, the defender went to tackle Benteke, didn't get the ball and made contact sliding in.. Whether trying to pull out or not he made contact

I'd accept it ultimately if it was against us.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #754: Mar 07, 2016 10:50:47 am
      Not sure how we won that. Didnt play well, but credit for showing some fight when we went down to 10.

The penalty was a stonewaller. Benteke didnt even go down easily, he was clipped while running and his foot taken from under him. Definite pen.

Alan Pardew is a bellend. (And the Palace fans spent the entire match shouting for handball every time the ball went near one of our players. I've never heard so many handball shouts in my life. Cheerleaders and a f**king bald eagle - bunch of dicks.)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #755: Mar 07, 2016 10:52:24 am

Me and Migs. Who knew.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #756: Mar 07, 2016 10:58:44 am
      Not sure how people can't wrap their head around the fact if contact is made with the player and not the ball it is a foul. Pretty simple!

It was tough on Palace because Delaney realises his error and tries to pull out, but Pardews argument that if he tries to pull out it shouldn't be given is nonsense. Doesn't matter if the contact is deliberate or he's trying to avoid it, if there's a touch you cannot blame a forward player for going to ground, as Henry said there's no rule to say if a player gets clipped he has to try and stay on his feet.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #757: Mar 07, 2016 11:33:33 am
      Pardew is arguing for the sake of arguing nothing more. This would reduce the blow for loosing the game in the dying seconds of the game.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #758: Mar 07, 2016 11:40:59 am
      He's always been like that with his penalties if my memory serves me correctly. I like it when a player is used to doing it and pulls it off, that wasn't the case for Coutinho.

msg1902252 date=1457279111]
      Benteke is convinced it was a penalty ... "Christian Benteke says "I think he touched me" when asked if it was a penalty.
      [/quote]

Not much of conviction there Saint - the key word is 'think'. ;)

Quick Reply