Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (1.9%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      4 (2.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      81 (50.3%)
      Jon Flanagan
      4 (2.5%)
      Emre Can
      32 (19.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.6%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      13 (8.1%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      13 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Mar 10, 2016 03:37:21 pm

Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points

Read 38275 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Re: Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points
      Reply #759: Mar 07, 2016 11:44:52 am
      How are people still debating if it was a penalty or not.

It doesn't matter how soft it was or how easily Benteke went down, the replay shows there was a contact and the defender was nowhere near the ball, therefore its a penalty.

There is nothing to discuss.

This.
      There is nothing to debate, although the ref was unsighted and his attention brought to the incident by the linesman, it was technically an offense.

To believe such minor contact could bring a brick shithouse down is ludicrous, Benteke's forward movement as
      well would negate the idea that the minimal contact on his trailing leg would take him out.
      The player felt the tap and thought 'that'll do for me', as stated the 2nd official luckily gave it - seen as many not interpreted as a penalty though.
      Having it all F***ing day.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #760: Mar 07, 2016 11:47:02 am
      Pardew is arguing for the sake of arguing nothing more. This would reduce the blow for loosing the game in the dying seconds of the game.

=spouting sh*t.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #761: Mar 07, 2016 01:09:40 pm
      What a win. I mean, who honestly thought after Milner stupidly got his 2nd yellow, that we would come back to win it? Great performance from Lovren and Can. Firmino was ok, and I thought Origi did well too. It's just frustrating that we can swarm Man City like we did, but don't do the same to a less skilled Crystal Palace midfield 4 days later. But anyways, 3 points is 3 points.

On a side note, the penalty is one of those I screaming to get, and one that I would be yelling and complaining about the refs if we concede. Simple as that.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #762: Mar 07, 2016 05:52:35 pm
      Some days, you're just lucky as F**k. Yesterday was one of those games :laugh:

Palace's goal was typical Liverpool, wasn't it? Three chances to clear a set piece and we screw the pooch. For what it's worth, I thought we actually played better with 10 than with 11, which I'm sure will do wonders for Milner's reputation on here haha

Pretty fortunate that McCarthy slips and it just so happens to fall at the feet of Firmino to equalize. And that penalty... we'd be raging if that went against us! But you know what, sometimes you just need a bit of luck. There will be similar things that happen to us later in the season. At least we shwed good resiliency to bounce back after going 1-0 down and down to 10 men.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #763: Mar 07, 2016 07:09:40 pm
      As others have said, who gives a fig about the pen, we got it and scored. There has been enough decisions go against us so Mr Pardew chew on that one.
      Onwards and upwards.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #764: Mar 07, 2016 07:36:37 pm
      In Reply to Big Mick I agree there is definate need for a target man when we went to 10 I would have had Ben on in a flash we had to get the ball from A to B asap the pressing had gone. Also I know I have said this numerous times but the pressing will only work against teams who play football from back Chelsea, City , Southampton it can be coincidence these teams could not live with us, yet against Scum for instance we never really threatened. Thats why Thursday and they Will play Feillani we may need a different strategy im not saying Benteke should start but be the first sub and not the last . Can MOM by a mile in my eyes Lovren not at races first half but did improve.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #765: Mar 07, 2016 07:50:01 pm
      It really disappoints me reading some opinions on here that say it was a 'diabolical performance' etc etc. That's pure hysteria and to me just screams of some supporters whose natural disposition at the moment is to watch our matches through negatively tinted glasses.

My own view was that we played perfectly fine but with A LOT to be encouraged about. I personally can't remember the last time watching a closely fought battle like that with such calmness - maybe it was the 10 hours of sleep I treated myself the previous night? Perhaps I discovered a zen like state of serenity I didn't know I had?! Whatever it was, it worked and it made me look on yesterday's match with a much more balanced state of mind and from what I saw was more encouraging than anything.

Clearly there is a tentativeness and indecision still on show at times and it showed throughout a majority of the match where we failed to shoot and find better options in attacking situations. As Klopp said to the press you don't want to be dilly dallying and failing to shoot against Palace because you know within 5 seconds they'll be up at the other end of the pitch with the ball at their feet. And so it proved on a few occasions yesterday.

But I'm very encouraged. When we went down to 10 men we were so much more focused and it was heartening to see a fight mentality take over the flight mentality which has been the worrying and exasperating precedent these 7 years or so, bar our title challenging season in 2013-14. Going 1-0 and getting a man sent off can do wonders in encouraging and cultivating a 'to hell with this' mentality. And so it proved! We were well in control with 10 men. We started to release the ball quicker, playing no nonsense dilly dallying balls up to our strikers (I must say the strength and movement of Origi and Benteke when he came on was fantastic) and we just started looking more threatening.

In addition to that and perhaps most encouraging for the long run is my belief that for the first time in a long long time we looked physically superior. That Palace team have run rings around us (and a Palace side that has seen Bolasie return recently) these past two years. It's kind of sickening that we've allowed them to score for fun against us really! Yesterday we seemed more than a match for their pace and physicality with Emre Can and Dejan Lovren the nucleus of a new found strength within us. They were fantastic! Our endurance seemed superior - it's this fact that makes me believe that with 10 or 11 men on the field we still would have won that match - perhaps maybe with eleven we would have scored three? Our ascendancy in the fitness stakes really showed face in that last half hour.

After 5 months could it just be that Klopp's intense fitness credentials are starting to show its values? It seems Klopp is transforming these men from marshmallow to iron!

* Just a word of note regarding the Palace fans - never have I watched a match where the home fans contested everything through false accusation. It seems that every time our players blocked a ball or went to ground they were crying for hand ball or a foul. Petty much or should that be desperate much considering their plight that was made official yesterday? And another thing - do a favour and work on your appearance. Selhurst Park looked more like a meeting of the London Blackshirt Society that would have been more at home in Mussolini's Italy. Oh and f**k you Pardew.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 02:14:27 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #766: Mar 07, 2016 08:02:04 pm
      After 5 months could it just be that Klopp's intense fitness credentials are starting to show its values? It seems Klopp is transforming these men from marshmallows to iron!

Interesting point in a very good post as usual FMS.

You're the second person (apologies if more) that I've read say almost this exact same thing, I believe SoaG was the other. I personally never got on to it but as I read through your post I found myself agreeing with it and believing it. I certainly felt that triangle of Mama/Dejan/Emre more than matched them physically and yes by the end it was our players, Lovren one and I'd personally single out Emre who was marauding forward not with recklessness but with intent and desire.

I single out Emre because he has had accusations of being a little tankier than might be necessary and he's also played, I believe the stat was, the most minutes of any player his age in the whole of Europe and the most minutes of any outfield player in the league. Now how accurate that is I don't know but just looking at our midfield:

Emre 2800+ mins
      Milner 2400+
      Lucas 1700+
      Hendo 1400+

To be getting stronger at this stage of the season with those minutes under the belt is a real good sign for the lad and us.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #767: Mar 07, 2016 09:28:17 pm
      Hey, seems like I've opened up x real can of worms. Don't get me wrong, I'm made up the pen was given, and even more made up it was against palace. Was just voicing my opinion. Note my age, I'm from the old school and some of the falling to the floor at the tiniest of contact embarrasses me, and if some of these dives were against me when I played, I would have dragged them up to their feet by the throat. Nothing better than a good solid tackle, nothing worse than a cheat.
      Not  saying Bens a cheat, because I'm fully aware that's what the game has become for everyone, just saying I don't really approve.
      Only my opinion.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #768: Mar 07, 2016 10:24:03 pm
      * Just a word of note regarding the Palace fans - never have I watched a match where the home fans contested everything through false accusation. It seems that every time our players blocked a ball or went to ground they were crying for hand ball or a foul. Petty much or should that be desperate much considering their plight that was made official yesterday? And another thing - do a favour and work on your appearance. Selhurst Park looked more like a meeting of the London Blackshirt Society that would have been more at home in Mussolini's Italy. Oh and f**k you Pardew.

Was thinking the same thing, they appeal absolutely everything at Selhurst Park which makes the nature of the win all the sweeter!

And if you want a real laugh check out this https://www.change.org/p/football-assosiation-ban-christian-benteke-and-fine-liverpool-fc-6-points

Hahahahaha!!!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #769: Mar 08, 2016 02:32:08 am
      Quote from Beerbelly
      Was ready to come in here and talk about the season petering out like an agonizing death.

F**k, we were lucky, just as lucky as we were against Bournemouth.  :f_whistle:

Klopp got the team wrong today IMO. We didn't muster our first shot until 65 mins into the game with their reserve keeper on the field.

Considering our first shot on target was after 82 minutes in the cup final, maybe 65 isn't so bad.

The performance looked just like then, but we got better once Milner went, and after we got a dig out from their keeper. Benteke missed 2 other chances before his penalty and without it, he would have rightly got another grilling on here along with the rest of them after the game. While it looked a stonewall on first viewing, the slow-mo showed that it was at best "generous", however we'll take it. It's a pity it didn't come there two years ago, when we really did need a winner in injury time. Anyway this time we got over the line, it's payback for November, and we move onto the next one.

So we leave London for another season with a record of 8 points won from 18, under Klopp it was 7 points from 15. The season drifts on, as we start to drift off the broadcasters radar from now on, while they concentrate on clubs that actually have made big improvements in the league this season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #770: Mar 08, 2016 07:05:27 am
      By the way, as usual, Palace fans sang throughout the entire game.

So it can be done.  They probably have the best atmosphere in the league right now.

And one thing they also have at their matches: a drum.  I've suggested it in the past, someone bringing a drum to Anfield, like they do in Germany and France etc.  People shot it down.  Nooooo, no drums, we'd rather sit in a library than have someone bring a drum into Anfield and create some atmosphere.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #771: Mar 08, 2016 09:55:19 am
      Haha those deluded Palace supporters have started a petition calling for Benteke to be banned and Liverpool docked at least 6 points because the player ''dived'' to secure a famous victory for the Red-men.

F***ing bell ends.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #772: Mar 08, 2016 10:11:37 am
      Was thinking the same thing, they appeal absolutely everything at Selhurst Park which makes the nature of the win all the sweeter!

And if you want a real laugh check out this https://www.change.org/p/football-assosiation-ban-christian-benteke-and-fine-liverpool-fc-6-points

Hahahahaha!!!

Someone should start a petition banning Adam Greeves and other Crystal Palace fans from starting bullshit petitions and wasting the FA's time. ;-)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #773: Mar 08, 2016 10:21:23 am
      Considering our first shot on target was after 82 minutes in the cup final, maybe 65 isn't so bad.

The performance looked just like then, but we got better once Milner went, and after we got a dig out from their keeper. Benteke missed 2 other chances before his penalty and without it, he would have rightly got another grilling on here along with the rest of them after the game. While it looked a stonewall on first viewing, the slow-mo showed that it was at best "generous", however we'll take it. It's a pity it didn't come there two years ago, when we really did need a winner in injury time. Anyway this time we got over the line, it's payback for November, and we move onto the next one.

So we leave London for another season with a record of 8 points won from 18, under Klopp it was 7 points from 15. The season drifts on, as we start to drift off the broadcasters radar from now on, while they concentrate on clubs that actually have made big improvements in the league this season.

Economic with the praise aren't we?
      Benteke came on and only two very good saves kept him off the score-sheet before the penalty, very doubtful he would have been ''grilled'' as you put it, there were far more deserving cases who had contributed less from the off .

That technically was a penalty all day and would have been give instantly had the ref not been unsighted, the defender made contact with a potential goal-scorer; certain, nailed on penalty.
      Nothing ''generous'' about it.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 03:51:08 pm by stuey »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #774: Mar 08, 2016 12:01:52 pm
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #775: Mar 08, 2016 12:46:51 pm
      Benteke didn't "dive" in the sense that he was touched, but he dive in the sense that a big lump like him oughtn't to be fellable by a tap on the leg. Unfortunately in modern football that's the way it is, it's bollocks in my opinion, but that's the way things are. Equally, I think it's bollocks hen a fella gets a penno given against him when someone blasts it at him from three yards away, but these days it's a pen all day long.

In many ways the games f***** these days.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #776: Mar 08, 2016 12:59:53 pm
      The fact this has caused so much controversy is shocking and shows how bitter some are.

Big Ben was caught and he fell over, never exaggerated it an awful lot, he never rolled around like he was shot, he just fell and claimed for a foul, after a daft defender slid in on him (missed the ball btw) and clipped him. PENALTY ya mugs. ;D.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #778: Mar 08, 2016 01:41:28 pm

So it can be done.  They probably have the best atmosphere in the league right now.

And one thing they also have at their matches: a drum.  I've suggested it in the past, someone bringing a drum to Anfield, like they do in Germany and France etc.  People shot it down.  Nooooo, no drums, we'd rather sit in a library than have someone bring a drum into Anfield and create some atmosphere.

:lmao:  The day we have fans like that bellend who goes the Portsmouth games or some virgin at Sheff Wed banging his drum for 90mins is the day I stop going.

Shove ya drum up ya arse. We're Liverpool.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #779: Mar 08, 2016 03:29:17 pm
      If they challenge for the ball, and win the ball, contact is obviously allowed.  If they don't win the ball and contact is used - it is a foul.

There was contact on Benteke, doesn't matter if it was minimal or not there was definite contact, and the defender doesn't win the ball. So its a foul and its a penalty.

How can anybody disagree with that?
      Quite easy.... We have all seen instants when players (ours too) have made a tackle getting both player and ball and were deemed to commit a foul..... Or were no contact was made with either player or ball and they were is penalized... Or were contact is made and the ball has been deemed to be too far a head of the player to have been reached so no foul was awarded.... 

Regardless of what you say It was a soft penalty one for which i am glad we had, but soft none the less
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #780: Mar 08, 2016 04:58:00 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      Benteke didn't "dive" in the sense that he was touched, but he dive in the sense that a big lump like him oughtn't to be fellable by a tap on the leg. Unfortunately in modern football that's the way it is, it's bollocks in my opinion, but that's the way things are. Equally, I think it's bollocks hen a fella gets a penno given against him when someone blasts it at him from three yards away, but these days it's a pen all day long.

In many ways the games f***** these days.

Nothing to do with modern football at all, (there is no "modern" football) it's all to do with interpretation. The ref wasn't going to give the penalty on his own and only did so on the lino's advice. But regardless what he thinks, if it's not an offside call, then he automatically has to go with his lino if his flag is raised.

It's similar to when a player jumps for a header and catches the opponent. The ref has to interpret whether it's a foul or instinct. He gets just one shot at it, and if he gets it wrong, all hell breaks loose.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #781: Mar 08, 2016 05:00:22 pm

Nah they were sh*t. Our away support outdid them. You know the thing about supporting Liverpool fed is not to say that everyone is better than us. It's not really in the small print of how to be a good supporter is it?

That said carry on like this fed and you'll get a name for yourself. 'Little drummer boy'?

What'll be your song of choice then?

federer: 'I am a music man, I come from far away and I can play...

Liverpool supporters: 'What can you play?'

federer: 'A great big f**king bass drum!'

You'd get shanked mate. That drum would be over your head quicker than you could say 'who wants an encore!'

Quick Reply