Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (1.9%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      4 (2.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      81 (50.3%)
      Jon Flanagan
      4 (2.5%)
      Emre Can
      32 (19.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.6%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      13 (8.1%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      13 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Mar 10, 2016 03:37:21 pm

Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points

Read 38362 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match points
      Reply #782: Mar 08, 2016 05:40:48 pm
      Nothing to do with modern football at all, (there is no "modern" football) it's all to do with interpretation. The ref wasn't going to give the penalty on his own and only did so on the lino's advice. But regardless what he thinks, if it's not an offside call, then he automatically has to go with his lino if his flag is raised.

It's similar to when a player jumps for a header and catches the opponent. The ref has to interpret whether it's a foul or instinct. He gets just one shot at it, and if he gets it wrong, all hell breaks loose.

What do you mean it's nothing to do with modern football? Don't talk bollocks, as recently as the 90's that's never a penalty in a million years. As you say, the "interpretations" changed.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #783: Mar 08, 2016 09:12:15 pm
      You know the thing about supporting Liverpool fed is not to say that everyone is better than us.

well I don't think everyone is better than us, in fact that gets to the heart of the problem: almost ALL grounds have atmosphere just as bad if not worse than ours.  Look at the so-called "big" clubs in the league too: Arsenal, City, the Mancs, Chelsea etc.  Their grounds are like morgues.  But it's not just them.  Pretty much every time we play away, the home atmosphere at grounds is terrible.  The away support for clubs is almost always excellent but the home supporters can't seem to get up for it.

The only exception that I've seen to that is Crystal Palace.  They create a consistent and loud atmosphere.  You point out our away supporters were great but that's not the point---our away support is always great, and so is the away support for most clubs.  The problem is that most HOME support is rubbish, for all clubs. 

And yet, Palace's home support is excellent.  Why?  why Palace of all clubs?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #784: Mar 08, 2016 09:14:15 pm
      :lmao:  The day we have fans like that bellend who goes the Portsmouth games or some virgin at Sheff Wed banging his drum for 90mins is the day I stop going.

really?

Honest question: suppose you knew, hypothetically, that someone would bring a drum in and it would make Anfield a cauldron again, supporters singing 90 minutes non-stop, intimidating atmosphere etc. 

Would you still say "no, I don't want a drum" and prefer to sit in awkward silence for the whole game while away supporters chant "where's your famous atmosphere" and "your support is F***ing sh*te!"?

Really, I'm genuinely curious.  Maybe the drum really is that annoying to people that they'd prefer the quiet.  I don't know.  Just curious to see what you think.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #785: Mar 08, 2016 09:45:04 pm
      really?

Honest question: suppose you knew, hypothetically, that someone would bring a drum in and it would make Anfield a cauldron again, supporters singing 90 minutes non-stop, intimidating atmosphere etc. 

Would you still say "no, I don't want a drum" and prefer to sit in awkward silence for the whole game while away supporters chant "where's your famous atmosphere" and "your support is f**king sh*te!"?

Really, I'm genuinely curious.  Maybe the drum really is that annoying to people that they'd prefer the quiet.  I don't know.  Just curious to see what you think.

I know what you're trying to say but the clubs who have drums and those annoying chants are cringeworthy to watch.

There is something special about Liverpool FC and our supporters. Imagine going from scarves held up and a kop full of flags to some tit at the back with a drum chanting Jürgen klopps barmy army.

No thanks.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #786: Mar 08, 2016 10:29:10 pm
      Haha those deluded Palace supporters have started a petition calling for Benteke to be banned and Liverpool docked at least 6 points because the player ''dived'' to secure a famous victory for the Red-men.

F***ing bell ends.

World's gone f**kin mad mate.
      Maybe we should start our own petition against the goal Adam f**kin Johnson scored at Anfield the other week demanding the 2 points back we lost...

as Jürgen keeps telling everyone.."It's only a game of Football"
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #787: Mar 08, 2016 11:21:45 pm
      I know what you're trying to say but the clubs who have drums and those annoying chants are cringeworthy to watch.

There is something special about Liverpool FC and our supporters. Imagine going from scarves held up and a kop full of flags to some tit at the back with a drum chanting Jürgen klopps barmy army.

No thanks.

Maybe we should have the brass band in to the tune of the Great Escape.   :'(

Mind you, we have a few drum bangers on here who would probably take up that proposal instead.  ;D
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #788: Mar 08, 2016 11:22:06 pm
      What are we, 6 points off 4th?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #789: Mar 08, 2016 11:26:55 pm
      Can't see what all the fuss is about regarding the penalty.

1) Delaney tried to slide tackle in the box as the player was running at him = asking for trouble
      2) Contact was made with the player, not the ball = foul
      3) If you are running in full stride like Benteke was, if your back foot is clipped or whatever then it will make you fall over

As for Pardew, what an embarrassment.

They are just bitter because they were incapable of managing a game properly when they were leading and had an extra player.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #790: Mar 08, 2016 11:40:26 pm
      Completely agree with you KK.  The fact is Pardew must have been relishing another win over us.  You don't have to be pleasant in football but it helps.  He's most unpleasant.  I guess with us down to 10 men and 1-0 down he must have been expecting a good win.  Full credit to the players and fans, when the chips were down we fought back.  The players who took part in that will remember it and gain strength from it.  We grew a bit on Sunday.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #791: Mar 08, 2016 11:47:53 pm
      The fact is Pardew must have been relishing another win over us.  You don't have to be pleasant in football but it helps.  He's most unpleasant.  I guess with us down to 10 men and 1-0 down he must have been expecting a good win.  Full credit to the players and fans, when the chips were down we fought back.  The players who took part in that will remember it and gain strength from it.  We grew a bit on Sunday.

Bish bash bosh.

Spot on.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #792: Mar 09, 2016 02:09:05 am

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #793: Mar 09, 2016 12:02:52 pm
      Just on the peno again, when I saw it first I wasn't sure. But when you see Delaney's knee make contact with Bens foot, it's a clip, it's a peno. Don't know how interpretation comes into it. You don't get the ball, you catch the player, its a free/peno. Linesman was spot on.

You see penoes all the time where the player sees the challenge coming in, waits for the player to commit, pushes the ball past him, then either runs into him, or actively kicks him, many times the keeper, then goes down. Basically playing the game, looking for the peno. I know player doesn't have to jump / try avoid the challenge thats coming in, but imo there just feels something a bit unethical about it. But by letter of law the peno is given. And if those ones get given, think in a case like Ben's where he's almost past the player when he is clipped, its more of a peno than those other ones.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #794: Mar 09, 2016 02:50:18 pm
      If there was any doubt... Every right to go down.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #795: Mar 10, 2016 12:01:51 am
      If there was any doubt... Every right to go down.

There was contact. Knee knocked out his foot.

Interesting comments on MOTD2.  All agreed it was a pen.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #796: Mar 10, 2016 12:47:48 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      What do you mean it's nothing to do with modern football? As recently as the 90's that's never a penalty in a million years. As you say, the "interpretations" changed.

There is no "modern football".

Football is 2 teams, 11 players, 90 minutes.
      Free kicks, penalties, 50/50 decisions.
      Goals, wins, points, prizes.

Nothing modern about it, it's never been any different.

We've had incidents like Sunday many times before. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. Luckily we got it in our favour this time, as despite what the rules state, there will be many more times when we won't.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #797: Mar 10, 2016 02:17:17 pm
      There is no "modern football".

Football is 2 teams, 11 players, 90 minutes.
      Free kicks, penalties, 50/50 decisions.
      Goals, wins, points, prizes.

Nothing modern about it, it's never been any different.

We've had incidents like Sunday many times before. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. Luckily we got it in our favour this time, as despite what the rules state, there will be many more times when we won't.

For a bloke who's a Benitez doubter you do talk some utter sh!t  :lmao:.

I KNOW it's still eleven against eleven, I KNOW the rules haven't changed. But equally I KNOW (and so do you soft lad) that the interpretation of the rules has changed markedly in the last decade. Jimmy Case or Tommy Smith would have got sent off every game under todays interpretations if they played the same as they used to, everybody knows that because it is obvious.

Now, I KNOW from the letter of the law and under current interpretation that Benteke's was a penalty. I know. I was as excited as the next man that he won the penalty, because despite me supporting him it was the first time the big daft c*** has done anything goal-wise for months, but despite my excitement and the fact that I KNOW these days it is a penalty, it doesn't stop me hankering after the old days when it never was in a million years. Just the same as when you blast it at a bloke from three yards away and it hits his arm, you get a penalty for that these days too. In my eyes though, it isn't.

So, the interpretation has changed simple as that. You know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. How comes you aren't back in the Benitez thread anyway, predicting he'll take Newcastle into the conference rather than chatting bollocks to me?     

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #798: Mar 10, 2016 05:02:32 pm
      The interpretation hasn't changed a bit. Before "the 90's", if an official thinks an attacking player has been fouled in a penalty area, he would give a penalty. Since "the 90's", if an official thinks an attacking player has been fouled in a penalty area, he would give a penalty. Same applies to handball by a defending side. The ref didn't get out a "modern football" since "the 90's" rulebook after Benteke went down. He simply gave a goal kick, until his lino told him to change his decision. Nothing to do with "modern football".

Martin Skrtel would give away three penalties per game, if ref interpretations strictly followed the current rules. He doesn't because what he does has happened in the game since the year dot, so refs let it go. As you admit, the basics of the game never change.

Quick Reply