Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!

Read 21039 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!
      Reply #115: Mar 18, 2016 06:16:40 pm
      Well, well, well...

We all had the feeling we'd meet them, it was written in the stars and it will be some of the best atmospheres either team has witnessed that much is absolutely guaranteed and I can't wait to hear it.

I would have preferred it be in the final but then again if we're talking atmospheres you wont hear any better than a full Anfield and Westfalenstadion so that is an absolute bonus to be savoured by everyone.

On to the business of trying to beat them over 2 legs, of course we have an ace in the pack with Jürgen. He knows their weaknesses and knows where the cracks will begin to show when the pressure mounts however those that see this as a massive advantage should temper it a little with the fact that the players also know Jürgen pretty much inside out so they'll be expecting a lot of what he'll do to counter them.

Everyone knows the key to their attack revolves around Reus and Aubameyang, you must not give either of them any space. Aubameyang is electric, he's the striker I most wanted us to go after last season when we went for Benteke and this year he's proven he's got even better 36 goals in 38 appearances. The threat of his speed alone will mean we'll sit 5 - 10 yards deeper than usual, Lovren nor Sakho can cope if either gets turned, he'll be gone. What we could really do with in this game is a keeper who could predict the through ball, eliminating most of that threat would mean we could cope a lot easier but as it is I think we'll probably get caught out at least once over the 2 games with this.

Reus is a god with a football, my 2nd favourite player behind Suarez and I think he needs to be man marked. So much of what Dortmund do well is funneled through him and if you stop him playing (tough task I know) then you've won half the battle already in my opinion.

To score against them I think is done much easier with pace than it is presence. Hummels is awesome in the air as is the big Greek (they tend to be don't they?) but neither are that quick on the turn so Coutinho/Firmino/Studge is a certainty for the front 3 in my opinion.
      Get either Firmino or Coutinho on the ball in and around the edge of their box and we can punish them with good movement.

As for our chances, I'll be honest and say that I thought Dortmund would win this competition a long time ago and they're still massive favourites. We're improving (now that's finally agreed upon) but meeting the toughest opponents by far that we've played all season, I think even the most optimistic red fan knows we're up against it but there's hope, if we can grab an away goal, which I believe we will score then bringing them back to Anfield then who knows. 2-1 or even 3-1 to Dortmund in that first leg and we're still in there. Dortmund aren't as good away, they concede nearly double and are basically unbeaten at home this season so I'd rip your hand off right now for a score draw and that's what I'm hoping for in the first leg right now.

Get them back to Anfield and finish the job with a 1-0 and Mignolet MotM!! :D

What a game, this is why we got Klopp, to bring back games of such magnitude, love it!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #116: Mar 18, 2016 06:24:18 pm
      You know what's funny, nearly all the main sport headliners are about us drawing Dortmund, yet we are in a weaker competition and Man City are in CL. Says it all tbh :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #117: Mar 18, 2016 06:31:01 pm
      Well, well, well...

We all had the feeling we'd meet them, it was written in the stars and it will be some of the best atmospheres either team has witnessed that much is absolutely guaranteed and I can't wait to hear it.

I would have preferred it be in the final but then again if we're talking atmospheres you wont hear any better than a full Anfield and Westfalenstadion so that is an absolute bonus to be savoured by everyone.

On to the business of trying to beat them over 2 legs, of course we have an ace in the pack with Jürgen. He knows their weaknesses and knows where the cracks will begin to show when the pressure mounts however those that see this as a massive advantage should temper it a little with the fact that the players also know Jürgen pretty much inside out so they'll be expecting a lot of what he'll do to counter them.

Everyone knows the key to their attack revolves around Reus and Aubameyang, you must not give either of them any space. Aubameyang is electric, he's the striker I most wanted us to go after last season when we went for Benteke and this year he's proven he's got even better 36 goals in 38 appearances. The threat of his speed alone will mean we'll sit 5 - 10 yards deeper than usual, Lovren nor Sakho can cope if either gets turned, he'll be gone. What we could really do with in this game is a keeper who could predict the through ball, eliminating most of that threat would mean we could cope a lot easier but as it is I think we'll probably get caught out at least once over the 2 games with this.

Reus is a god with a football, my 2nd favourite player behind Suarez and I think he needs to be man marked. So much of what Dortmund do well is funneled through him and if you stop him playing (tough task I know) then you've won half the battle already in my opinion.

To score against them I think is done much easier with pace than it is presence. Hummels is awesome in the air as is the big Greek (they tend to be don't they?) but neither are that quick on the turn so Coutinho/Firmino/Studge is a certainty for the front 3 in my opinion.
      Get either Firmino or Coutinho on the ball in and around the edge of their box and we can punish them with good movement.

As for our chances, I'll be honest and say that I thought Dortmund would win this competition a long time ago and they're still massive favourites. We're improving (now that's finally agreed upon) but meeting the toughest opponents by far that we've played all season, I think even the most optimistic red fan knows we're up against it but there's hope, if we can grab an away goal, which I believe we will score then bringing them back to Anfield then who knows. 2-1 or even 3-1 to Dortmund in that first leg and we're still in there. Dortmund aren't as good away, they concede nearly double and are basically unbeaten at home this season so I'd rip your hand off right now for a score draw and that's what I'm hoping for in the first leg right now.

Get them back to Anfield and finish the job with a 1-0 and Mignolet MotM!! :D

What a game, this is why we got Klopp, to bring back games of such magnitude, love it!!

It was Lacawhatsisface from the French team wasn't it Luke? ;) Anyway no matter, good post.   

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #118: Mar 18, 2016 06:34:50 pm
      It was Lacawhatsisface from the French team wasn't it Luke? ;) Anyway no matter, good post.   

Loved both of them mate, Lacazette was the more realistic one :lmao:

My dream was always Reus/Aubameyang but there's more chance of me having a 3 some with Cheryl Cole and Dayana Mendoza (it's worth googling :D )
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #119: Mar 18, 2016 06:51:21 pm

Singing it together Shabs.
      That will be awesome and so near the Anniversary.

Their own web site www.BVB.de  has a nice touch showing Ronnie Yeats exchanging pennants from the sixties .
      Their English site hasnt been updated. Thats chilled !
      www.bvb.de/eng
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #120: Mar 18, 2016 07:44:17 pm
      I would love to know what the odds were that we'd get the Mancs AND then get BVB.  hate to be one of those people but it seems extremely fishy to me.

At any rate.  Our defence and midfield are sh*te.  But our attack is top class.  If we can get a couple of goals away at their place then who knows, maybe we can shut up shop at home and weather the storm.  Not by any means impossible.
      Apart from Clyne last night our defence was solid enough , no reason to think when we meet Dortmund it will be any different , yeah the mf wasn't great , hendo is really struggling and klopp may have to be brave and drop him for these games . Allen would be a better fit right now .

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #121: Mar 18, 2016 10:39:28 pm
      Happy with that draw really. 

Both ties will be awesome for the fans, an amazing atmosphere, not too far to travel and Jurgens team will know what they're up against.

I give us a better chance of winning over 2 legs than in a one off game, especially having the 2nd leg at Anfield.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #122: Mar 18, 2016 11:10:35 pm
      Honestly, I think it may be a season too early for us to play a team like Dortmund. I think they might be a little strong for us, but we can take heart from the fact we've beaten City twice, and Chelsea, so we know we can raise our game.
      My worry is our shaky defence, even though the mancs only scored via a penalty against us, they did have chances that a better team might have put away.
      As Michael Owen would say, the game will be won by the team that scores the most goals! That's where we could just edge it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #123: Mar 18, 2016 11:11:07 pm
      Almost seemed obvious we would get Dortmund.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #124: Mar 18, 2016 11:15:13 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aucDzVZWbns

Vaguely remember how upset I was after this game.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #125: Mar 18, 2016 11:21:09 pm
      Our form has improved recently , we have the away tie first and we have their most successful manager with us , he knows them inside out . Any other team would fancy their chances in that position so why shouldn't we .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #126: Mar 18, 2016 11:29:55 pm
      I think having the second leg at Anfield will prove the decisive factor in this tie. Yes, like the mancs we could find ourselves out or virtually out before the second leg is played, but a decent result away and then put them to the sword at home is the Liverpool Way.

Going to be a high octane leave nothing on the pitch tie played at 100m.p.h. but I think it's one we can and will win.

After crushing the mancs everything seems a bonus now anyway.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #127: Mar 19, 2016 12:09:43 am
      Obvious draw is obvious.
      Going to be some atmosphere in the grounds.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #128: Mar 19, 2016 02:55:10 am

Wow, you're old.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #129: Mar 19, 2016 03:57:11 am
      skipped over to the dortmund forun to see what their fans

for the majority they think we are barely a speed bump. actually a bit shocking to read some of their comments about us and even klopp.

however as good as they think they are and how bad they think we are, i still think if our lads are up for it,  we can get a result
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #130: Mar 19, 2016 06:08:27 am

Nah, I only watched the game yesterday.... I just have a bad memory. :)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #131: Mar 19, 2016 07:58:53 am
      We are home in the second leg, so we are favourites atm.

In order to stay favourites, we have to come back from there with a result. And we can do so, as Klopp knows them like the back of his hand. Also, we won't throw the away leg like Spurs did. Klopp doesn't rest players for the sake of resting them.

As for Dortmund, the reality is they're going to have to come here to win the tie, and Anfield on a European night isn't quite as comfortable as Spurs to play in. Klopp got them into this competition, and in the qualifier, they went 3-0 down to Oddball Klub in Norway before they got going. Now Klopp is asked to kick them out of it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #132: Mar 19, 2016 02:21:20 pm
      Draw was rigged as F***ing usual.

But this is gonna be F***ing epic.

Bring it on!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #133: Mar 19, 2016 03:09:25 pm
      Second leg at Anfield, the night before the last Hillsborough Memorial service, a time for celebration and reflection.

JFT 96
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #134: Mar 19, 2016 04:33:18 pm
      I'm kinda weirdly happy we drew BD, it will prove a good barometer of where we're at in terms of our progress not only in Europe but also domestically, inconsistencies have obviously restricted our climb up the prem ladder, that including injuries to key players at key times,

In the Europa in earlier rounds we were forced to use some of our young lads and played with distinction, but now we are getting somewhere near full strength we can properly judge exactly where we are ,

So for me the likes of Dortmund doesn't worry me much, for me we have a free ride, if they take us to the cleaners, so be it, not many will fancy our chances against a European stalwart and well organised unit,

Were we to go through, who then becomes favourites?
      Some will say the tie has come too early,maybe, maybe not, all I know is over two legs we are capable of beating anyone,

In the end we have to beat the best to win it, I think it's fair to say BD are probably the best of the last eight, although there are other sides who are very capable of going the whole hog also,

In my opinion we are hitting form just at the perfect time, our players are finally tuning in to what Klopp wants from them both as a unit and individually,

The key for me is our league form, if we can keep this winning streak going the confidence gain along with momentum will take us a long way,
      It is still possible to reach 4th, teams above us will flip flop opening the door for us to slip through,

I'm very positive and confident we'll have a very exciting end of season,  and who knows we could end up with a place at the CL table and with yet another European trophy?

YNWA

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #135: Mar 19, 2016 04:37:39 pm
      Dortmund is the better team at this point. Kloppo needs at least one full offseason to close that gap: getting some better players, more time to install his system. I already see improvements. Liverpool begins to look a little bit like Dortmund now, just a little bit, but it's going into the right direction compared to 4 weeks ago.

A lot is possible though and you never know, but we shouldn't jump out of the windows if we lose. I think our team can really test itself against a European Great.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #136: Mar 19, 2016 05:23:55 pm
      The Liverpool teams of the 1970's emerged from UEFA Cup success and took that experience to go on to even greater success in the European Cup, which we dominated for a period.  We then won the UEFA Cup as part of the 2001 treble and then went on to a sustained period of Champions League success.  Lets hope we can get past Dortmund.  As Jürgen said, "if we prepare ....."
      It may be that if we have success in the Europa Cup this season or next that we then go on to CL success.
      craventom
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | 68 
      Reply #137: Mar 19, 2016 07:12:04 pm
      Somehow I felt it had to happen.

I can´t express how much it means to me and probably most of the other Borussia Dortmund supporters to meet Jürgen again, the one who is a living legend to us and whom they will bulit a monument in front of the Westfalenstadion some time for sure.

I´m convinced they will cheer and chant for him when visiting our ground again on 7th of april regardless he´s now the manager of the Reds and our manager is Thomas Tuchel meanwhile.

The one team we could accept this fantastic person to lose to has been Liverpool FC, for this mighty club and its supporters are sharing very similar values and beliefs. The support for each team is similarly great and comes with all of their hearts.

Thus this encounter should be a georgious festivity with both fan sides probably singing YNWA together to show the big respect we have for each other. And I expect common celebrations with Reds and BVB-Fans before and (hopefully also) after the games in the surrounding pubs and public places.

Me personally I´ll make it somehow to both legs, flight is booked already for the second one hoping to get game tickets (can anybody tell me if and how there´s a chance to get one for Anfield also through the LFC-channels as a guest supporter?). If I won´t succeed I guess there are loads of pubs where the game is shown on TV and BVB-fans are at least tolerated (?).

As most of you might already know I follow nearly every LFC game on TV besides the Borussia Dortmund games since Jürgen became your manager. Initial sympathy for the Reds thereby has turned into my second love so if the Reds win this duel I´ll grant it to them and hope they are winning the cup.

However, though trying to take my still black-yellow glasses off and not intending to show off at all I can tell you that this Dortmund side never has been as strong as they are right now. In no way questioning Jürgens abilities and achievements for the BVB Thomas Tuchel yet has lifted this team to still a higher level than during the glorious years before.

They are no longer playing the same stile of football JK has implemented on them (he will be astonished:-)), no longer that constant high pressing but more ball control, more solutions against a defensive opponent and a very fast backward movement after losing the ball. Plus the individual qualities of Aubameyang, Reus, Mkhitaryan, Gündogan or Hummels that can make the difference in a narrow game and in who TT has all brought out the best they can offer.

Until one month ago I would have bet on a Dortmund win but I definitely recognize a rapid development of the LFC team as well especially in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Meanwhile the convalescents are mostly back and in shape and JK has not only made every single player better but also his ideas of the ideal football this squad can play have taken into effect and the players have completely understood what he wants them to do.

Taken these aspects into account and the plus of a more physical play of the LFC players being really able to hurt the BD players I rate the chances to get through as 50:50 for both teams.

Just let the better side go through to the semifinals, I can´t wait the games to begin!

Quick Reply