Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!

Read 20805 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!
      Reply #184: Apr 05, 2016 04:54:53 pm
      Klopp knows this team...he'll have a gameplan for how best to neutralize their threats.

I think we'll get a couple goals, would be nice if we didn't give up a couple ourselves. 

I know Klopp knows their team, but they know that Klopp knows, the question is does Klopp know that they know that he knows? :)

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #185: Apr 05, 2016 05:22:15 pm
      I know Klopp knows their team, but they know that Klopp knows, the question is does Klopp know that they know that he knows? :)

Saint, I've added you to a list, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, of people I can't understand  :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #186: Apr 05, 2016 05:23:47 pm
      Saint, I've added you to a list, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, of people I can't understand :)

I Know mate.

:)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #187: Apr 05, 2016 05:37:19 pm
      I guess nobody's bothering with a pre match thread then? 

I suppose this is as good as.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #188: Apr 05, 2016 06:32:16 pm
      This game is massive for us!!  Win this, and we become favorites to win the entire competition.  Win the cup, and we book our ticket for the group stage of CL next season -- the added money and pull of the CL could be invaluable for Klopp as he attempts to put his stamp on the team.  Klopp signs Goetz, Gundogan, and Aubameyang in the summer and we walk the league next season!!!

It all starts Thursday.....    :kop5cf8koxp6:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #189: Apr 05, 2016 07:23:02 pm
      I guess nobody's bothering with a pre match thread then? 

I suppose this is as good as.

Thought that was Clint's role?... ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #190: Apr 05, 2016 08:05:22 pm
      Thought that was Clint's role?... ;D

The live match thread is mate but others usually do the pre match one.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #191: Apr 05, 2016 08:24:14 pm

On form tonight Saint

;D

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #192: Apr 05, 2016 10:45:21 pm
      Look, we will only be beaten if the players felt they are inferior to Dortmund. Player to player. yes it could be the case. In cup games many  variables comes into play and one of those is "determination" and do we have that in the players to succeed? Dortmund is a very good team but certainly beatable. They are like the Liverpool of the 70s and 80s, quick passes no fancy stuffs and move swiftly from midfield  into the box. They are dead accurate in their attempt at goal. Hence, we must not give them the space and time to pass and shoot. I''ll be happy to come a way with a draw. With this Liverpool side, we'll never know which side will turn up.

Taken a look again at the 3 goals scared against spuds by Dortmund, spuds greatest mistake was they gave Dortmund too much space and time just outside the box to pick the final pass and shoot. We must close down those space fast to frustrate them. they are not the quickest side and I'm sure Klopp knows that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #193: Apr 05, 2016 11:05:04 pm
      With it being Europe, us and touching someone's elbow with your nose means a yellow we could end up without all of them for the home leg.

Just have to tell the lads to elbow someone in the face instead rather than brush someones snout, after all, it worked for Fellaini.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #194: Apr 05, 2016 11:12:26 pm
      Same Ref as the 1st leg against the scum so we'll definitely have several yellows.  Let's hope it's the other 5 players who get them, not the ones already on one  8)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #195: Apr 06, 2016 12:09:48 am
      So having never watched Dortmund play, do they play both Mikter(however you spell it) and Aub(however you spell it) up top in a 2 striker formation?
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016 01:41:33 am by AussieRed »
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #196: Apr 06, 2016 12:34:19 am
      Firmino is apparently a major doubt according to reports tonight.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #197: Apr 06, 2016 02:53:01 am
      2 things spring to mind; the heyday of rafas reign where the only team I didn't think we would beat were English.

Plus the fact we always rise to the big occasions

We can do this
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #198: Apr 06, 2016 07:00:11 am
      So having never watched Dortmund play, do they play both Mikter(however you spell it) and Aub(however you spell it) up top in a 2 striker formation?

They play a very similar formation to us mate 4-2-3-1 with Mikitharyan (god know how you spell it!) as one of the three behind the striker ( got round spelling that :) )

Excellent if longwinded review of Dortmunds formation, tactics and tactical changes since Klopp left :-
      http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/09/15/team-analysis-tuchels-borussia-dortmund/

It also explains the weaknesses of Klopp's tactics and formation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #199: Apr 06, 2016 08:53:51 am
      Their midfield 'three', Mkhitaryan; Kagawa & Reus, do two things really well... #1: they can play in the 'gap' between op's midfield and defence #2: they can all run, with the ball at their feet, at the op's defence.

In my opinion - if we play Lovren & Sakho, (with the notion that they can play a "higher line"), we run the risk of getting stuffed. Play deeper, keep our midfield 'two' close to our centre halves [Skrtel & Lovren], hit them on the break. Job's a good'un.  :laugh:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #200: Apr 06, 2016 09:37:29 am
      Their midfield 'three', Mkhitaryan; Kagawa & Reus, do two things really well... #1: they can play in the 'gap' between op's midfield and defence #2: they can all run, with the ball at their feet, at the op's defence.

In my opinion - if we play Lovren & Sakho, (with the notion that they can play a "higher line"), we run the risk of getting stuffed. Play deeper, keep our midfield 'two' close to our centre halves [Skrtel & Lovren], hit them on the break. Job's a good'un.  :laugh:

Maybe play like a Hodgson team ?

Mignolet
                     Clyne        Skrtel        Lovren        Moreno

Lallana        Henderson  Can           Milner

Coutinho

Sturridge

I think Dortmund play very similar to how Brendan was trying to get us playing in the "almost" season. 4 players making the triangles and running off those, while pressing in the wide areas when they lose possession.

If we play a little more direct we may just surprise them on the counter.

I would take a 2-1 defeat now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #201: Apr 06, 2016 09:58:18 am
      Maybe play like a Hodgson team ?

Mignolet
                     Clyne        Skrtel        Lovren        Moreno

Lallana        Henderson  Can           Milner

Coutinho

Sturridge

I think Dortmund play very similar to how Brendan was trying to get us playing in the "almost" season. 4 players making the triangles and running off those, while pressing in the wide areas when they lose possession.

If we play a little more direct we may just surprise them on the counter.

I would take a 2-1 defeat now.

I think Skrtel / Lovren is asking for trouble. Lovren has been much better on the right hand side of the defence, what you lose by shifting him could be too much, as for how Skrtel would play I think he's far too big a risk right now. It's a shame Lucas isn't fit he'd be a great partner for Lovren back there in my opinion.

The biggest worry I have in this game is our midfield, we have to condense the space or they'll run riot. It's fine saying sit back and hit them on the counter but currently we don't have the pace in the team to truly exploit that. If we are to go out there with a smash and grab attitude it could well pay to play Origi, now that clearly wont be in substitute for Sturridge but there's some merit to the thought of playing Origi as the most forward of the 3 up top.

Like you, I wouldn't see a 2-1 loss as a bad result but I'd also struggle to see us keeping a clean sheet against them at home so in that sense would the away goal truly count. Lose by the odd goal or a score draw and it's all to play for, anything better than that really would be a remarkable result.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #202: Apr 06, 2016 10:11:45 am
      Keep the faith boys despite our recent lack of European success we are still giants compared to Dortmund and I'm sure they will have that at the back of their minds.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #203: Apr 06, 2016 10:12:00 am
      Luke I totally agree with your Skrtel/Lovren analyses,we cannot afford to play Skrtel.I would like to see us come away with a score draw so we can put the pressure on them in the return leg at Anfield.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #204: Apr 06, 2016 10:38:02 am
      I think Skrtel / Lovren is asking for trouble. Lovren has been much better on the right hand side of the defence, what you lose by shifting him could be too much, as for how Skrtel would play I think he's far too big a risk right now. It's a shame Lucas isn't fit he'd be a great partner for Lovren back there in my opinion.

The biggest worry I have in this game is our midfield, we have to condense the space or they'll run riot. It's fine saying sit back and hit them on the counter but currently we don't have the pace in the team to truly exploit that. If we are to go out there with a smash and grab attitude it could well pay to play Origi, now that clearly wont be in substitute for Sturridge but there's some merit to the thought of playing Origi as the most forward of the 3 up top.

Like you, I wouldn't see a 2-1 loss as a bad result but I'd also struggle to see us keeping a clean sheet against them at home so in that sense would the away goal truly count. Lose by the odd goal or a score draw and it's all to play for, anything better than that really would be a remarkable result.

Just to be clear, that wasn't my team or how I would set us up to play Luke. It was just building on BBB's idea of playing with a deep defence and two midfielders playing close to the back four.

The biggest problem we have is a lack of real pace in midfield, with all 3 being not slow but of very average pace, making transition difficult unless we use our fullbacks.

I think Firmino being fit would be a big help, but I don't think we could afford to play 2 up front so he would have to play deeper than usual for me... unless he plays Sturridge off the bench.

I think we will need that away goal mate. Just can't see us scoring many against them home or away.

1-2 away 1-0 at home is my hope/prediction.       
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #205: Apr 06, 2016 11:28:34 am
      The biggest problem we have is a lack of real pace in midfield, with all 3 being not slow but of very average pace, making transition difficult unless we use our fullbacks.

I think Firmino being fit would be a big help, but I don't think we could afford to play 2 up front so he would have to play deeper than usual for me... unless he plays Sturridge off the bench.

I think we will need that away goal mate. Just can't see us scoring many against them home or away.

1-2 away 1-0 at home is my hope/prediction.

Agree about our midfield mate, it does worry me going into this game.

As for Firmino I think you're more than well aware of what I think of him and he would make a tremendous difference in this game but it's looking more likely (judging by the snippets from reliable journos) that he will probably miss this game.

I certainly don't think 2 up top would be a good idea either, we need to play very narrow and really condense the space. If the game becomes stretched in any way I think it will favour them far above us and we'll get punished. As for the away goal mate I just meant I can see them scoring in both legs so our reliance on an away goal will be more to balance it out than it will be to drive home an advantage. I liked, I think it it was Res' idea, of a 2-2 there and a 1-1 at Anfield, seems the most likely way for us to get through in my eyes.

Either way though massively looking forward to this game, first European quarter final since 09/10 and it feels even further.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #206: Apr 06, 2016 11:48:05 am
      As for the away goal mate I just meant I can see them scoring in both legs so our reliance on an away goal will be more to balance it out than it will be to drive home an advantage. I liked, I think it it was Res' idea, of a 2-2 there and a 1-1 at Anfield, seems the most likely way for us to get through in my eyes.

I've gone for a 1-1 away and 0-0 at home Luke in the prediction league but the closer the game gets I have a feeling we could score 2 or 3 away.  I've no idea why but I feel we'll be more than a match for them and somehow, somewhere Jürgen will pull out a trump card from up his sleeve  ;D

I don't think Firmino will make it either, he's still a doubt  :(

Edit:  Joyce reporting he's travelling and will be assessed after tonight training session.  Let's hope he is fit after seeing this goal he scored against them when he was at Hoffenheim  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwrNODQ-6nI

Quick Reply