Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jonas Hector (FC Cologne)

Read 30214 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Jonas Hector (FC Cologne)
      Reply #92: Jul 25, 2016 11:38:28 am
      I was interested in watching Hector and Guerreiro during the Euros but I must admit I wasn't very impressed with either of them.
      I thought neither of them 'stood out' either Diego. Hector was a tad too conservative and Guerreiro a bit too gung ho; if that makes any sense but they'll have been watched (live and on video) a lot more than just that.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #93: Jul 25, 2016 11:48:19 am
      I guess time will tell Si.

If he's happy with Moreno and only looking for back up then JĆ¼rgen will probably sign Chilwell or a player like him.

If he's unhappy then logic dictates that he would go 'ready-made' for a replacement - Hector or a player like him.

It's valid to ask: what scenario would make the team stronger - Moreno & Chilwell or Hector & Moreno. In my opinion, (and like you) I'd go Hector & Moreno.

Truth is; we could comfortably afford both Chilwell and Hector should JĆ¼rgen be inclined.  :P

Exactly where I am on this one.

I had hoped that Flanno would be the solution - even allowing for my instinctive preference for a LB - but sadly it seems that's still a season away (at best).

I do like my countryman Robertson at Hull - he's also done well at international level - but again that's more 'promise' than nailed on quality right now..........

Now that the red mist (mine) has cleared post the Sevilla game........it may just be that JĆ¼rgen doesn't think there's a significant enough upgrade on the player he thinks Moreno is becoming so it's become a hunt for an "as well as" not "instead of".......if that makes sense?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Jul 25, 2016 03:24:19 pm
      .it may just be that JĆ¼rgen doesn't think there's a significant enough upgrade on the player he thinks Moreno is becoming so it's become a hunt for an "as well as" not "instead of".......if that makes sense?
      It makes sense alright Scotia (if we set aside our preferences); it's not beyond the realms of possibility that JĆ¼rgen rates the lad [Moreno] highly enough to go without replacing him outright.

There's the rub really; we are all assuming that "surely JĆ¼rgen must see that he needs a new starting Left Back" and therefore accept that it's a foregone conclusion. Even fans, who's mantra is 'you have to trust that JĆ¼rgen knows what he's doing with transfers', won't trust him with Moreno.  :laugh:

Personally speaking I would want someone who could replace him in the starting XI - he's still young; let him [Moreno] learn his trade as the backup. But... in the words of the Stones: "you can't always get what you want".

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #95: Jul 25, 2016 04:51:34 pm
      Agree Mouse although it appears JĆ¼rgen is happy with Alberto and was looking for a back up for him.

Personally I'd much preferred if we got Hector and then seen if Moreno was up for the fight for his place in the side.

My preference too Si, imo Hector is the perfect fit, accomplished going forward and can defend if under stress, I'm with you regarding Moreno having to battle for his place, it could even make him a better player,
      Chilwell is for the future and although that's not a bad thing we need ready made experience who will slot in immediately,
      I also like the idea of buying both, although unlikely,
      Klopp obviously likes Alberto so perhaps he'll grant him the benefit of doubt and use him initially and see how he fares,
      But would love it if Hector arrived next.

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #96: Jul 25, 2016 05:55:18 pm
      It makes sense alright Scotia (if we set aside our preferences); it's not beyond the realms of possibility that JĆ¼rgen rates the lad [Moreno] highly enough to go without replacing him outright.

There's the rub really; we are all assuming that "surely JĆ¼rgen must see that he needs a new starting Left Back" and therefore accept that it's a foregone conclusion. Even fans, who's mantra is 'you have to trust that JĆ¼rgen knows what he's doing with transfers', won't trust him with Moreno.  :laugh:

Personally speaking I would want someone who could replace him in the starting XI - he's still young; let him [Moreno] learn his trade as the backup. But... in the words of the Stones: "you can't always get what you want".

Always a salutory life lesson that number BBB :)

On that theme though (and noting I was livid after the Final) I'll go one further and say that JĆ¼rgen will have also factored in the benefits that Moreno's pace brings defensively - he does sweep well on occasions (when we get countered) - and may well believe that the occasional 'short-circuit' (regardless of the profile of the match) is something that he'll tolerate (short term) and eradicate (medium term).......whilst the kid matures into the finished article (long term).........

Then again.......he could go out and grab Hector tomorrow.......either way I don't believe he's sitting wishing he could do 'anything' and not able to.......he just might not value the 'somethings' available in the market.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #97: Jul 25, 2016 06:15:07 pm
      Robbie Brady is the only left back who impressed me that i've seen from last season really.

Ā£12M and 4 teams after him now though. We're not one of them.

Wasn't impressed with Hector to be honest in the euros.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #98: Jul 25, 2016 09:03:22 pm
      Jetro Willems posted on Snapchat (according to Echo blog) "they're all crying out to join LFC. and then the emoticons:  8) :f_wah:

Any idea if this means there is something to it. He had also posted something to Wijnalda about good luck and see you soon, although obviously that doesn't have to mean something is up. The Express had a story about Willems but I didn't see any good sourcing in it. Is it a total rag? has anybody of any credibility mentioned us with Hector in the same breath?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #99: Jul 25, 2016 09:43:07 pm
      Robbie Brady is the only left back who impressed me that i've seen from last season really.

Good shout, he was boss at the Euro's.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #100: Jul 26, 2016 02:44:31 am
      I was interested in watching Hector and Guerreiro during the Euros but I must admit I wasn't very impressed with either of them. I'm not a fan of Moreno either, so I'm just not very excited about LBs this season I guess haha

Have to disagree about Guerreiro, I thought he was excellent as an LB - fast, intelligent with his movement, good on the ball, and rarely got beaten one-on-one, also was superb on set pieces. He's a much more complete version of Moreno to me, just a tad slower.

Agree with you on Hector though. To me he just didn't offer much as an outside back, he reminds me a bit of Aleksander Kolarov a couple years back, minus the offensive abilities. Then again, Germany is not setup for their outside backs to shine at all, but simply to do their job and be competent, which in fairness he did do. I'm sure he looks better on Cologne.

Left Back is a pretty unexciting position though. Really no standout superstars there these days, maybe aside from Marcelo and Alaba. Maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get an LB who is simple, but competent, solid, and can consistently do a job - as Hector seems to me. I think it'd be a breath of fresh air after last season with Moreno being a bit of a wild card at times.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #101: Jul 30, 2016 05:24:00 pm
      What would people like? A defensive lb or a modern attacking left back.

A attacking one will make more mistakes and leave space for counter. There are only few wing backs out there who are capable of doing business at the both ends and they will cost a lot.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #102: Jul 30, 2016 05:29:59 pm
      What would people like? A defensive lb or a modern attacking left back.

It doesn't matter what people like.  It matters what Klopp likes.  Based on his Dortmund days, he likes attack minded fullbacks with pace and aggression.  He likes his fullbacks to provide width in attack.  He likes his defensive line to play closer to the halfway line than our own 18 yard line.  He likes front foot defenders who aren't afraid to make a challenge. 

I guess most importantly, he seems to like Moreno :)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #103: Aug 02, 2016 07:41:14 am
      It doesn't matter what people like.  It matters what Klopp likes.  Based on his Dortmund days, he likes attack minded fullbacks with pace and aggression.  He likes his fullbacks to provide width in attack.  He likes his defensive line to play closer to the halfway line than our own 18 yard line.  He likes front foot defenders who aren't afraid to make a challenge.  I guess most importantly, he seems to like Moreno :)

The problem is Moreno isn't very good in attack either.  Of course we know he is rubbish in defence but going forward he's brain dead.  Terrible crosses, terrible decision making; he scored that one cracking goal at Spurs a couple years back but since then his offensive decision making has been atrocious. 
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #104: Aug 02, 2016 07:58:11 am
      The problem is Moreno isn't very good in attack either.  Of course we know he is rubbish in defence but going forward he's brain dead.  Terrible crosses, terrible decision making; he scored that one cracking goal at Spurs a couple years back but since then his offensive decision making has been atrocious.
        :lmao:

Who played that ball? Ovie Ejaria? Phil Coutinho? Oh wait! The brain dead Moreno. If he was so "brain dead" as you say he is, wouldn't he be in coma? :f_tongueincheek:

https://youtu.be/pdATNp67NOs
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #105: Aug 02, 2016 05:46:34 pm

Who played that ball? Ovie Ejaria? Phil Coutinho? Oh wait! The brain dead Moreno. If he was so "brain dead" as you say he is, wouldn't he be in coma? :f_tongueincheek:

Nah he'd be getting tattoo's of F***ing chimps on his thigh!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: Aug 02, 2016 06:20:04 pm

Way too harsh Fed.

Seen this today...had to do a double check to see if my eyes were deceiving me.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #107: Aug 02, 2016 10:14:19 pm
      Just a friendly reminder that Stewart Downing led the league in chances created too when he was here.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #108: Aug 02, 2016 10:30:43 pm
      Just a friendly reminder that Stewart Downing led the league in chances created too when he was here.

That's a fair counter :D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #109: Aug 02, 2016 10:45:23 pm
      Anfield HQ ā€@AnfieldHQ  6m6 minutes ago
      Liverpool are not in for Jonas Hector. They donā€™t believe heā€™s worth the Ā£20million price tag. #lfc (James Pearce)

This is why I have a problem with FSG. Hector's not worth Ā£20 million? Ā£20 million is chump change in today's market. We need a Left Back, Hector, whilst not stardust, is certainly a steady 7/10 a game man, a left back version of Clyne. Just F***ing pay the damn money and so we can address one of the biggest failings in the club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #110: Aug 02, 2016 10:51:23 pm
      Liverpool are not in for Jonas Hector. They donā€™t believe heā€™s worth the Ā£20million price tag. #lfc (James Pearce)

This is why I have a problem with FSG. Hector's not worth Ā£20 million? Ā£20 million is chump change in today's market. We need a Left Back, Hector, whilst not stardust, is certainly a steady 7/10 a game man, a left back version of Clyne. Just f**king pay the damn money and so we can address one of the biggest failings in the club.

Who says it's FSG? Why is it this is always deemed as their fault? They were prepared to pay the asking price for Texeira but Klopp was the one who scrapped any deal because he felt he wasn't worth what was being asked.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign him but it's always seemed as though this was never going to happen and IMO I think it's more likely Klopp who feels it's not worth the outlay.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #111: Aug 02, 2016 10:55:18 pm

This is why I have a problem with FSG. Hector's not worth Ā£20 million? Ā£20 million is chump change in today's market. We need a Left Back, Hector, whilst not stardust, is certainly a steady 7/10 a game man, a left back version of Clyne. Just F***ing pay the damn money and so we can address one of the biggest failings in the club.

Klopp has last say on signings, it'll be him that decides if he's worth the asking price. Klopp obviously has a lot more knowledge of Hector than any of us do.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #112: Aug 02, 2016 11:19:26 pm
      Don't Just Stand There......SPEND Something!!!  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #113: Aug 02, 2016 11:32:27 pm

Wait so he plays one good pass and that justifies all of his brain fart moments and defensive lapses?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #114: Aug 02, 2016 11:33:51 pm
      Who says it's FSG? Why is it this is always deemed as their fault? They were prepared to pay the asking price for Texeira but Klopp was the one who scrapped any deal because he felt he wasn't worth what was being asked.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign him but it's always seemed as though this was never going to happen and IMO I think it's more likely Klopp who feels it's not worth the outlay.

Klopp, by his own admission, doesn't deal in monetary matters because he doesn't want the fee to colour his relationship with the player. Player value is determined by Ayre and Gordon and their Fifa 17 Beta. The point is we're valued in excess of Ā£1 billion and we can't stump up Ā£20 million for a major problem position.

Quick Reply