Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      31 (27.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (2.7%)
      Phil Coutinho
      61 (54.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.9%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Apr 06, 2016 07:34:54 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate

Read 27623 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #391: Apr 02, 2016 09:17:54 pm
      Very disappointing, if Man U have had a sh@#e season, then look at us, we can't get anywhere near them and that's for sixth place.

We're 5 points behind them with a game in hand after tomorrow.

Stop talking out of your arse.

At least we still have a chance of qualifying for the CL through a europeon competition!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #392: Apr 02, 2016 09:20:55 pm

There was a contrast with Daniel Sturridge.
      No-one will doubt Sturridge’s finishing capabilities, but since his return from injury he has been unable to rediscover the pace that was one of his greatest assets. It is a concern for club and country.

Throughout this game the forward was demanding the ball to his feet, the prospect of chasing on to loose balls that might invite a challenge ... more daunting to him than was previously the case.

It is understandable he is wary given the length of time he’s been out and although he remains a threat at just 70 per cent fitness, he needs to fill the void and get to full steam if he is to be Roy Hodgson’s first choice.

ww.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/02/liverpool-1-tottenham-1-have-spurs-blown-their-title-chance-how/

Telegraph  comparison Sturridge to Kane .

Another sulking face like a slapped arse being substituted.
      Would mind his petulance if he had been playing @ 100%  ... which he wasn't.

Think he has discovered that being paid an obscene amount of money for having his feet up has given him a Sterling perspective on football life at Anfield.

Now where that Paris number ?

How many times does Klopp have to say the rest of this season is an extended pre season for Sturridge to build his strength and fitness in preparation for next season????????????

And he's still managing to score or assist every game whilst doing so!!!!!!!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #393: Apr 02, 2016 09:33:40 pm
      How many times does Klopp have to say the rest of this season is an extended pre season for Sturridge to build his strength and fitness in preparation for next season????????????

And he's still managing to score or assist every game whilst doing so!!!!!!!!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/03/daniel-sturridge-back-player-says-roy-hodgson/

Hodgson   ...... but what does the Owl know  ?

His quote during last weeks England stint

“But, I’ve got to say, during these seven days we’ve been together now, he doesn’t seem to carry any frustration with him.

He just seems to be back to the player he was.

Perhaps the secret is out .

He's showboating at normal fitness when training and playing for England ...but putting the "poor me" act on at Anfield.

Call  :  +33 (1) 474 37171
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #394: Apr 02, 2016 09:37:58 pm
      Still think it was not a bad result, against a much improved Spurs side. The draw will frustrate them more than us, on the whole. Leicester will be the benefactors of the result tonight.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #395: Apr 02, 2016 10:03:19 pm
      Yeah on reflection were gonna finish mid table so it was a good point.

Shoot me this is not how a Liverpool should talk.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #396: Apr 02, 2016 10:07:35 pm
      Bit surprised at the Hendo and Can votes for MotM.

Really?

Between Cou and Lovren and I swayed to Lovren but close. Either or.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #397: Apr 02, 2016 10:09:41 pm
      Strange feeling to the game, probably because there was nothing really in it for us. Was thinking draw beforehand, so not surprised. We maybe shaded it on chances, but in general play thought they probably shaded that. Expected a bit more from them tbh, given this is a side pushing for the top spot - just shows how mediocre the league is this time round.

They dominated possession (42:58) and it felt that way. Little bit frustrating, trying to play the high tempo, and we made good chances - but maybe at the expense of a bit of composure to hold onto the ball. If you win, it's fine, if you don't, it's not a great stat  - though there's only 1 that really matters, and that was 1-1, which was probably the right result on the day.

Roll on the big one. Huge challenge for Jürgen, would be big achievement to get past BVB over two legs, not impossible, we're up against it, and there's something to play for, which makes it one to look forward to...
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #398: Apr 02, 2016 10:35:42 pm
      As the boss man said ;
      “I think we could have won this game.  You cannot be satisfied after a draw, there were two world-class goals scored.  First half was a stop-and-go game, we were brilliant at go, then stopped in concentration.

'We played passes that brought them back into the game.'

“We scored a brilliant goal then Tottenham came back into the game a little bit because of us.

“We switched off in moments.   Nathaniel Clyne thought the ball was out and Dejan Lovren – who had a brilliant game – was not close enough for the goal.'

Summed it up for me.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #399: Apr 02, 2016 10:53:19 pm
      Either side could have won it.
      Lovren my MOTM.
      Sturridge needs to just get games. Completely lost the sharpness.
      I worry for Thursday without Firmino & Sturridge firing on all cylinders.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #400: Apr 02, 2016 11:18:09 pm
      We had the better chances but in truth I thought they were the better side, you could see why they have so many more points in the bag than we do. I wasn't too disappointed with the draw, the league is a bit of a write off for me now anyway, it's all about the Europa League and we have a massive game on Thrusday.

It's been a frustrating season and I can't wait for Jürgen to move some players on in the summer and bring a few of his own in. He is really is managing with one arm tied behind his back with this dsysfuntional squad this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #401: Apr 02, 2016 11:46:06 pm
      We had the better chances but in truth I thought they were the better side

Agree with this.

A draw is probably a fair result as it goes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #402: Apr 03, 2016 12:11:16 am
      Agree with this.

A draw is probably a fair result as it goes.

Second that, enough chances to win but at same time could have easily lost it. Felt Coutinho and Lovren were our two best players. We got to see the two different sides of Mignolet again. Couple of good saves, but diabolical kicking and reluctance to release the ball early, but when he did release it majority of the time it actually put us under pressure.

We had spells were we pressed well then decided to stand off and let Spurs play, plus our midfield is still too lightweight and get brushed off the ball far too easily. Definitely need some more muscle in there.

Definitely need to tighten up a bit and cut out the indecisiveness on Thursday.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #403: Apr 03, 2016 12:14:30 am
      End of the season used to be our time to evaluate the team & Manager's performance. This season I think we are justified in giving the current Manager a bit of leeway, but not the players. The expectation of title winning has for the time being now gone, "hoping for a top 4 place", if that's ambition, then we're f*cked, finishing out of a meagre European place, should not be acceptable. All eggs in 1 basket when Dortmund loom ahead is risky to say the least. So once again end of season review, should be interesting
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #404: Apr 03, 2016 12:23:48 am
      End of the season used to be our time to evaluate the team & Manager's performance. This season I think we are justified in giving the current Manager a bit of leeway, but not the players. The expectation of title winning has for the time being now gone, "hoping for a top 4 place", if that's ambition, then we're f*cked, finishing out of a meagre European place, should not be acceptable. All eggs in 1 basket when Dortmund loom ahead is risky to say the least. So once again end of season review, should be interesting

End of season review could begin next Friday mate... if things go badly.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #405: Apr 03, 2016 12:33:51 am
      We could of won but so could Spurs ,Lovren put one foot wrong and it cost us  the 3 points.Other than that he had a good game.In the vote for M.O.M. I inadvertently hit the Sturridge button when it should of been for Coutinho,sadly I was unable to correct the mistake.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #406: Apr 03, 2016 12:37:37 am
      We could of won but so could Spurs ,Lovren put one foot wrong and it cost us  the 3 points.

I wouldn't just lay the blame at Lovren's feet, Clyne could of done a bit better before the ball was flicked back to Kane.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #407: Apr 03, 2016 12:40:06 am
      I think when we're talking about a player "costing us the three points" it's worth keeping a bit of perspective. Could Lovren have done better in this one instance? Yes he could IMHO, but he hardly presented Kane with an open goal. The Spurs man had loads to do even allowing for our man coming at him wrong side, and it's sometimes the case you have to take your hat off to a good finish. It was the sort of judgement call you make 30 times during a match as a centre half, nobody gets them all right. It just so happens thus time he picked wrong AND got punished for it. It happens with top players playing against you, and Kanes is a top player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #408: Apr 03, 2016 12:43:28 am
      I wouldn't just lay the blame at Lovren's feet, Clyne could of done a bit better before the ball was flicked back to Kane.

Agreed. There was also another player that Kane got away from in that moment too but I can't remember who.

There were spells in the game where we couldn't even get out of our own half for about 5minutes+ at a time but then there would be moments where we could have scored a couple of times in the space of 5 minutes. As results go this is nowhere near a poor one, obviously we should be looking to win every game but given Spurs' form this season compared to ours, they could easily have run away with this, especially the amount of times we gifted them the ball. Spurs are 2nd in the league and in with a shot of winning the league but we may well have put a real dent in their title hopes even with that 1 point as opposed to all 3. There were a lot more positives than negatives IMO in this game and Lovren, goal aside, I thought looked really good again, as did Lallana. Can only be optimistic that these lapses in concentration will be sorted because that was all that cost us today. But we can't take anything away from Kane, it was a good finish regardless of turning Lovren, on another day or another chance then I doubt he would have found the corner like that.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #409: Apr 03, 2016 12:47:49 am
      End of season review could begin next Friday mate... if things go badly.

Quite right mate but I was allowing for the shambles that preceded Jürgen. We obviously have some very talented players and in my opinion he is a talented Man Manager getting the best from the players, but when the Manager shows more emotion than some of those on the pitch, I am Concerned. A draw at home to anyone can not be celebrated, how times have changed.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #410: Apr 03, 2016 12:58:05 am
      Good game to watch.

Looked as though we were still in the changing rooms at the beginning of the second half, shades of Southampton.

Again, we looked tired and leggy I thought.

Never made use of Spurs' high line like we have done in recent seasons, especially in the first half where it was dying to be exploited.

Henderson Man of the Match for me. His engine was put to very good use and made some quality passes today too.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #411: Apr 03, 2016 01:14:06 am

Definitely right.

Anyone trying to pin the 3pts dropped on Lovren is an ejit. The turn by Kane and the finish was out of the top drawer.

The fact is, the defensive build-up (team responsibility) to that point in the game was poor. We can't defend a lead as the last two games show and it's a collective issue, not just an individual one (like the Southampton game was), we sat back, looked tired and leggy and Spurs were able to probe their way into dangerous positions.

Defenders get turned especially by quality strikers when body momentum initially has both players heading to the direction of the ball, the ball itself allows the striker to stop and pivot, the defender doesn't have that luxury. If you put your defender in that position you should be going back phases to see why that is.

Again, the responsibility of us not holding onto a lead in this game was a collective issue, not an individual one. I am surprised we scored in the second-half (the magic of Coutinho) because we looked as though we were mentally still in the changing rooms while camped on our own 18 yard box, playing counter-attacking football at home.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #412: Apr 03, 2016 01:27:45 am
      I think when we're talking about a player "costing us the three points" it's worth keeping a bit of perspective. Could Lovren have done better in this one instance? Yes he could IMHO, but he hardly presented Kane with an open goal. The Spurs man had loads to do even allowing for our man coming at him wrong side, and it's sometimes the case you have to take your hat off to a good finish. It was the sort of judgement call you make 30 times during a match as a centre half, nobody gets them all right. It just so happens thus time he picked wrong AND got punished for it. It happens with top players playing against you, and Kanes is a top player.

Lovren was boss today.  The goal Kane scored was just clinical, and it's harsh to blame Dejan considering the number of times he intervened to stop Erikson, Sony, and Kane. 

I thought Lallana was very good today.  Others disagree, but his work rate and pressing on the defensive side of the ball was phenomenal!! 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #413: Apr 03, 2016 03:30:29 am
      Honestly don't think Spurs should've been allowed to get in to that game. And it all comes down to Hendo for me. Once again he's all graft and a headless chicken in the middle and gives nothing to the side when we have the ball. His use of the ball is so timid and he never takes responsibility for building an attack or retaining possession to control the game, he always gets it and lays it off to someone else to do the job. This is the man in the one position on the pitch where you need to F***ing take a game by the balls and own the game AND he's got the armband. Bloody joke that he's our skipper and shows how much Brendan's mid-table mind dragged us down.

Then there's the times we don't have the ball. He pressed but how many times does he actually win the ball? He's way too committed to pressing and he gets bypassed with one pass and all of a sudden the opposition midfield have space in the middle to attack our box and he's chasing shadows.

But we should've won regardless. The chances we had to the chances they had and the overall tempo of the game, i thought we clearly deserved to win more than them.

Bloody shame Lovren let Kane roll him in the box as he was as close to perfection as you can get for the first hour. Brilliant game from him. Also a shame that our next best in Coutinho, who was excellent, missed a chance to win it. The two lads who come out of the game with plenty of dignity and both of them made the errors that cost us another two points.

Thought Lallana put in a great shift, created chances and looked a threat each time we had the ball in their area and when Spurs were trying to get the ball out it was Adam who was giving them trouble.

So annoyed we didn't win that one.

Quick Reply