Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      31 (27.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (2.7%)
      Phil Coutinho
      61 (54.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.9%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Apr 06, 2016 07:34:54 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate

Read 27633 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #414: Apr 03, 2016 06:42:10 am
      Then there's the times we don't have the ball. He pressed but how many times does he actually win the ball?

Guess who won the most tackles against Spurs :) 

The most striking thing about Dembele is his physical frame, which he appeared to put to good use throughout by winning a massive 16 of his duels, also winning four tackles. Only Jordan Henderson, with six, won more.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016 06:56:35 am by s@int »
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #415: Apr 03, 2016 07:04:44 am
      Henderson is still short of the desired quality required in the middle of the pack, come next season he should be starting only in the cup games.

Stu is quality, he should cut out the recent bad attitude.

Migs had done well but his next points dropping blunder is around the corner... Cup games only, next season.

We just need proven quality in these areas: Keeper, SB, DM, CB, Wingers (2x), Striker.

This is Liverpool and it's sad that even a 6th place finish looks bleak.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #416: Apr 03, 2016 07:23:06 am
      That yesterday was the perfect example about where we are the the moment. Class goal, good and decent play for certain periods but also a bunch of errors combined with the lack of quality to get the result over 90 min.
      We shouldn't be bothered to much about which place we gonna end up. We had a poor start to the season, changed managers and still have a mediocre squad.
      Klopp will get the signings right in the summer! He always did at Dortmund. I'm happy we didn't throw money out and made some overpriced panic signings like in the past. Unless Brendan and the committee  Klopp knows his work.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #417: Apr 03, 2016 07:29:12 am
      Honestly don't think Spurs should've been allowed to get in to that game.
      And it all comes down to Hendo for me.

Once again he's all graft and a headless chicken in the middle and gives nothing to the side when we have the ball.

His use of the ball is so timid and he never takes responsibility for building an attack or retaining possession to control the game, he always gets it and lays it off to someone else to do the job.

This is the man in the one position on the pitch where you need to f**king take a game by the balls and own the game AND he's got the armband.
      Bloody joke that he's our skipper and shows how much Brendan's mid-table mind dragged us down.

Then there's the times we don't have the ball.
      He pressed but how many times does he actually win the ball?
      He's way too committed to pressing and he gets bypassed with one pass and all of a sudden the opposition midfield have space in the middle to attack our box and he's chasing shadows.

Agreed ...  and you can see this being repeated in game after game.

How many times in a game does he just hoof the ball which can go anywhere ...... or take a shot which does the same ?

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #418: Apr 03, 2016 07:39:35 am
      Not a bad result before the Dortmund game. We need to be focused. In the highlights, I thought that Sakho lost possession many times in dangerous areas.

We can do better for sure but we had our chances.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #419: Apr 03, 2016 07:58:08 am

The most striking thing about Dembele is his physical frame, which he appeared to put to good use throughout by winning a massive 16 of his duels, also winning four tackles. Only Jordan Henderson, with six, won more.

Glad to see my eyes didn't deceive me then.

Henderson (and I'm not his biggest fan) was the best out of our trio of midfielders today.

He made some lovely penetrating passes that have been missing from his game, a lovely weighted first time pass between their ch and fb to Coutinho I think, who should have done better in the 18 yard box. He also made a blind 30 yard pass on the turn into space for either Coutinho or Lallana to run onto.

Two quality passes that I can remember off the top of my head, and he pressed the hardest of our midfield and looked our most dominant midfielder because of it.

He still needs to do more of this and on a consistent basis, personally I don't think he can sustain or up that level for prolonged lengths of time, but he was certainly our best all round midfielder today and for that he got my MOTM.

Also of note, I'm glad to see it was Sturridge who missed the one on one today, and dinked a header over the bar, had that have been Benteke you could have guaranteed 5 extra pages would have been added to this thread pointing the points dropped at his feet. Today though, it's Lovren's turn.  :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016 08:08:36 am by Beerbelly »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #420: Apr 03, 2016 08:49:39 am
      Shattered, gutted and annoyed we didn't win that but F***ing relieved we didn't lose all three points in the end.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #421: Apr 03, 2016 09:39:52 am
      Personally satisfied with the result. Tottenham are title contenders and regardless who you are, title contenders will give every, single, ounce.

We are not going to qualify for Europe now (unless win Europa), and it would be ideal if we avoided finishing fifth as well.

Fewer games next season with an improved team more compatible with Klopps system, could make for some exciting viewing for us red men.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #422: Apr 03, 2016 09:44:44 am
      Also of note, I'm glad to see it was Sturridge who missed the one on one today, and dinked a header over the bar, had that have been Benteke you could have guaranteed 5 extra pages would have been added to this thread pointing the points dropped at his feet.

No doubt mate. BOTH chances were ones he could have done better with, but there was none of the hysteria which greeted Benteke's "sitter" against Southampton.

I said after Benteke's miss that "one on ones" (not that either that one or this one were such a thing in the true sense of the phrase) don't always go in. Keepers are allowed to save stuff, and here Sturridge opted for the classic striker down on confidence ploy of hitting it hard and on target. Unfortunately for him it was dead centre and Lloris was always going to save it. He was central to the goal though (unlike Benteke) and could hit it either side (ditto) nor did he have to take a touch. I reckon it was probably a 7 out of 10 chance, not a howler to miss it but he ought to have done better.

The second one he needs to jump a tenth of a second earlier. That's a 5/10 chance IMHO, particularly given he's not exactly made for heading.

As for Lovren, as ever with all players much depends on the outcome of actions. For instance IMHO he made two errors bigger than the misjudgement which led to the goal, yet nobody talked about them. The first was first half when he stood off an onrushing Kane to such an extent the Spurs man didn't know what to do. As it turned out it worked because in the end the striker kind of hit a half shot half cross which came to nothing. I know the defender was left isolated and outnumbered so he had to stand off a bit, and I know Davey Proven said he "did well", but that's only because Kane didn't smash it into the corner. If he had, I would have been in agreement with those who would have been saying Lovren should have got tighter, he should.

The second mistake was needlessly conceding a free kick 25 yards out near the end. If Erikkson buries that, once again rightly Lovren gets stick.

For the goal IMHO having watched it again he is firstly guilty of assuming the ball is out (as is Clyne) which sets him on his heels a bit. Kane is originally picked up by Sakho but a midfielder arrives and the striker tracks front post, picked up by Lovren. Then he (Lovren) comes at it wrong side. Neither were calamitous errors, but because of the result people naturally latch onto them.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #423: Apr 03, 2016 09:44:57 am
      Henderson in the second half was outstanding. He wasn't bad in the first half, but in the second half in particular we saw him fully utilise his passing range.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #424: Apr 03, 2016 09:59:42 am

If we're using stats to defend players and then get rolled by midfields that are barely Premier League standard (referring to Watford and co. not Spurs) we'll just be stuck being an almost-ran for the next decade like we have the last.

Spurs were there to be had. Any sort of control in that first half and we probably go up ahead at the break. They were giving us the ball time and again and Hendo was one of the main culprits why we didn't take advantage.

Hendo never will be the midfielder we need to take us to the top. Unless scraping top four is the new benchmark.

That's how I see it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #425: Apr 03, 2016 10:40:09 am
      Draw was probably fair, we opened them up a fair bit but they looked good as well whenever they got their midfield on the ball.

Like many have said, Coutinho and Lovren were our best on the day.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #426: Apr 03, 2016 11:10:25 am
      We are not going to qualify for Europe now (unless win Europa), and it would be ideal if we avoided finishing fifth as well.

F**k that. We should aim to achive the maximum we possibly can.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #427: Apr 03, 2016 12:54:22 pm
      How many times does Klopp have to say the rest of this season is an extended pre season for Sturridge to build his strength and fitness in preparation for next season????????????

And he's still managing to score or assist every game whilst doing so!!!!!!!!

The world and his wife can see the lad is a shadow of the player who turns half-chances into victories on request.
      His whole demeanour suggests disinterest and a lack of commitment.

If Jürgen for whatever reason is prepared to accommodate Sturridge and his issues it is worth going along with his judgement.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #428: Apr 03, 2016 01:15:16 pm
      F**k that. We should aim to achive the maximum we possibly can.

I understand your concerns Benito, but with only the EL to play for this season, we really ought to be clever, prioritise what is important, and look to the future as greatness under JK is more than possible. However, I don't think competing in the EL next season would be ideal for us. We are a club that should be competing for the best silverware around. All it would do is cause us to become fatigued as a unit, lose players to injury and then compromise on our position in the league.

Yes, whilst I do acknowledge that all silverware is important (please do not question my support here), I would love nothing more than to see us get that big, stinking monkey of our backs and finally bring home the Premierleague trophy. It's been too long a wait, and I would rather us not compete in the Europa league next season if it means we could give the Prem a go. However, I do want us to win the Europa this season, because I would never say no to competing for ol' big ears again.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #429: Apr 03, 2016 02:04:43 pm
      I think winning the Europa League would be brilliant, and agree with the above post.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #430: Apr 03, 2016 02:54:41 pm
      I've seen a couple of mentions but to be honest I'm surprised by the lack of more comments on Henderson's role in this match. He was my MOM and an effective screen for the defense. We really might have been in trouble without a couple of tackles made by the captain.

What was Can doing, pushing Alli when he knew another yellow would see him collect a ban? Petulant and immature. Together with his overall performance I'd say its time to give Allen or Lucas some minutes regardless of Can's availability.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #431: Apr 03, 2016 04:24:02 pm
      It's been mentioned plenty previously but we really lack pace in midfield and out wide.

There was a few occasions when he had opportunities to hit Spurs on the break but unfortunately with players like Milner and Lallana trying to break out they always cut back because of their lack of pace.

Spurs matched our intensity in midfield and gave our midfielders little time on the ball and hence with our technically inhibited players we lost the ball too often and cheaply to hurt Spurs.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #432: Apr 03, 2016 05:30:23 pm
      It's been mentioned plenty previously but we really lack pace in midfield and out wide.

There was a few occasions when he had opportunities to hit Spurs on the break but unfortunately with players like Milner and Lallana trying to break out they always cut back because of their lack of pace.

Spurs matched our intensity in midfield and gave our midfielders little time on the ball and hence with our technically inhibited players we lost the ball too often and cheaply to hurt Spurs.

We lack pace but also lack a player who can calmly slow down the pace of the game. We cannot keep such a tempo up throughout the entire season and expect to be successful. We need a player who can slow down the game, when our backs are against the wall. Someone like Alonso would've been ideal. I fully expect Klopp to address this issue come the summer
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #433: Apr 03, 2016 05:53:36 pm
      Henderson in the second half was outstanding. He wasn't bad in the first half, but in the second half in particular we saw him fully utilise his passing range.

Hendo has a passing range?

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #434: Apr 03, 2016 06:12:28 pm
      Still haven't been able to see match. Glad to hear we played well for decent amount of the time.
      Made up we didn't lose. I suppose with our up and down form, a draw was o.k. Hope they lose the prem to foxes by 2 points now.
      Try and watch the game on wed when I get home. Didn't vote for morn for obvious reason.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #435: Apr 03, 2016 07:09:00 pm
      Thought we played decent but could have won it with a bit more composure, for a side pushing for the title I didn't think spuds wanted it enough, for me that was down to their appalling history playing at Anfield, psychologically they knew winning here with the added pressure of staying in touch with Leicester fu**ed with their minds, tbf tho it was a fairly even contest albeit we were under par, thought we missed Bobby with his link up play and his footballing brain,

Thought Coutinho and Lovren were our best two , gave motm to Dejan, thought he was immense at the back irrespective of a couple of errors, Sakho was erratic imo and hope he picks his game for BvB, or we're in trouble, Mignolet, ffs, his distribution is f***in woeful, I don't know the stats but I'm betting he gives the ball to the oppo more than any of the out players,
      IF we are to challenge for the title next season he needs to be gone, simples really, he is simply not good enough for this club, not now not ever,

Hendo had his best game for us for a while especially second half, but he needs to spend more time on shooting practise, and grab the game by the scruff more often than he is,
      Sturridge, I'm not sure now if he has the hunger anymore, he can't say he's not fit , he is, it's confidence that he lacks, but he needs to stop being a f***in mardy Arse , get his f***in head down and get on with it, I'm getting sick of seeing him sulk off when Jürgen decides he's seen enough,

He doesn't run into the spaces like he used to, to me he's lost a lot of pace since his last injuries and this is effecting his decisions, maybe a word with Dr Steven Peters will change his mindset, because right now he's not right, his body language tells you all you want to know,

I suppose a draw was a fair result in the end but, we could have won it had we taken our chances, we have a massive game coming up next, any kind of a result in Dortmund I think will see us thru, I'd take a 1-1 right f***in now, but we will need Bobby back, I'd be tempted to have Pirlo in too, but I suspect Jürgen will have a cunning plan afoot, I'd be going there hoping to grab a draw at least.

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #436: Apr 03, 2016 07:21:22 pm
      Even before the ball was kicked this game had draw written all over it.... need a inform striker this summer, Feel Sturridge is disillusioned and will be looking for a way out this summer

Quick Reply