Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      31 (27.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (2.7%)
      Phil Coutinho
      61 (54.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.9%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Apr 06, 2016 07:34:54 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate

Read 27855 times
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Spurs: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #437: Apr 03, 2016 07:49:32 pm
      A game we should have won. I though Lovren, Lallana, Henderson and Coutinho all had great games. Coutinho had some great creative play. I thought Henderson was exceptional. He did well as the more deep lying of the two CMs and he had to as Emre had one of his worst games in the red shirt. Lovren was similar as Sahko was terrible.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #438: Apr 03, 2016 08:57:20 pm
      Thought in general we played quite well but I think a draw was a fair result, neither team did enough to deserve the win and both teams matched each other.

I'm not hendersons biggest fan but thought he was our best player yesterday. He was everywhere and covered so much ground. Made tackles and interceptions all over the park. Very good game.

Coutinho also had a good game and he was just taking the piss out of walker at times.

Lovren was solid and he has improved immensely since Jurgens arrival. Agree with the above comment that sakho was all over the place yesterday (I love sakho too) which makes Lovrens performance even more impressive. I do think however he could have been tighter to Kane for the goal. It was a great goal but you can't let a forward of his quality turn like that in the box.

Thought can and sakho had terrible games. Sturridge wasn't his usual best either and had s couple of good chances he should have perhaps finished. Wasn't impressed with his sulking attitude when he was subbed either because we were crying out for Origi at that time.

Top four is well and truly gone. Need to win the Europa now and make sure we tw*t Everton as well.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #439: Apr 03, 2016 09:14:39 pm
      I'm pitted about the result.  last week and then this.  5 points lost.

As bad as Manutd are and how we like to make fun of them.... they are looking down on us in terms of table position.  they are in the battle of top 4... we are barely fighting for Europa spots right now.

This is poor... really really poor.   

I am however hopeful that klopp and co can work their magic after a full summer transfer window.  I want to enjoy watching our lads play again.  It has been too long since we can field a team that we can all feel they deserve the shirt.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #440: Apr 03, 2016 10:22:33 pm
      Are people really giving Studge beef for not looking happy when he came off? Would hate to see the abuse he'd get if he walked off trying not to laugh.

Wobble it, seriously. F***ing embarrassing some of you and some I thought were a bit better than joining a witch hunt that has gathered pace for no apparent reason than the lad being injured.

What proof have people got that he has an attitude problem? There's injury problems on a physical level and possibly mentally, also. But this attitude one?

He's been out for a hell of a long time and is obviously getting filtered back in. I'll judge him after a pre season and if he isn't back to full pace and only averaging one goal or assist a game like now then maybe playing football is against his religion? Or maybe some people just love a good story/conspiracy theory and a moan.

The day we want our players looking happy for getting substituted is the day I'll jack it all in. He can't help his face you know?

That Sakho looked a bit dodgy yesterday for a good chunk of the game didn't he? But hey, he cares doesn't he? The way he flipped and booted bottles in a Cup Final as he was brought off injured. You know the self inflincted injury he sustained because he actually jumped in and headbutted one of his own players, Emre Can, and nearly ended his final too. Attitude?  Na, passion it was put down to by most. Next thing you know we will have players getting a big gob on and refusing to turn up at games to support his team mates on because they've been dropped. Oh sh*t, hang on, Mama done that too. Attitude? Na, he said sorry, nothing to see there then.

Or maybe he just hasn't got the same level of 'Gossip Factor' that our Daniel has got.

50 goals quicker than any other Liverpool Football Club strikers.

Ever. Reel some names off and think about that for a second.

You'll all be sorry when he's gone and scoring for somebody else whilst looking all miserable and sh*t.

Bet he won't be happy when he gets subbed for somebody else either. The b***ard.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016 10:39:10 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #441: Apr 03, 2016 10:26:03 pm
      I'm pitted about the result.  last week and then this.  5 points lost.

As bad as Manutd are and how we like to make fun of them.... they are looking down on us in terms of table position.  they are in the battle of top 4... we are barely fighting for Europa spots right now.

This is poor... really really poor.   

I am however hopeful that klopp and co can work their magic after a full summer transfer window.  I want to enjoy watching our lads play again.  It has been too long since we can field a team that we can all feel they deserve the shirt.

You are right despite how sh*te Utd are playing they still seem to be able to grind out a win.

Look at us we play some beautiful football but somehow always manage to grab defeat/draw from the jaws of victory.
      This is nothing new it's been the same since the great season of a couple of years ago. Sort of suggests maybe the players don't have that never die attitude which was in the genes of Suarez and Gerrard.

Or more likely our players always have a mistake somewhere to unleash on us poor sods. Look at Lovren he has been lauded for having a great performance yesterday but the truth is he should have anticipated Kane would try and get the ball onto his right foot and if he was to shoot from his left then I highly doubt he would have scored.
      Individual errors which result in points lost have become the norm for our players.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #442: Apr 03, 2016 11:15:11 pm
      Are people really giving Studge beef for not looking happy when he came off? Would hate to see the abuse he'd get if he walked off trying not to laugh.

Wobble it, seriously. F***ing embarrassing some of you and some I thought were a bit better than joining a witch hunt that has gathered pace for no apparent reason than the lad being injured.

What proof have people got that he has an attitude problem? There's injury problems on a physical level and possibly mentally, also. But this attitude one?

He's been out for a hell of a long time and is obviously getting filtered back in. I'll judge him after a pre season and if he isn't back to full pace and only averaging one goal or assist a game like now then maybe playing football is against his religion? Or maybe some people just love a good story/conspiracy theory and a moan.

The day we want our players looking happy for getting substituted is the day I'll jack it all in. He can't help his face you know?

That Sakho looked a bit dodgy yesterday for a good chunk of the game didn't he? But hey, he cares doesn't he? The way he flipped and booted bottles in a Cup Final as he was brought off injured. You know the self inflincted injury he sustained because he actually jumped in and headbutted one of his own players, Emre Can, and nearly ended his final too. Attitude?  Na, passion it was put down to by most. Next thing you know we will have players getting a big gob on and refusing to turn up at games to support his team mates on because they've been dropped. Oh sh*t, hang on, Mama done that too. Attitude? Na, he said sorry, nothing to see there then.

Or maybe he just hasn't got the same level of 'Gossip Factor' that our Daniel has got.

You'll all be sorry when he's gone and scoring for somebody else whilst looking all miserable and sh*t.

Bet he won't be happy when he gets subbed for somebody else either. The b***ard.

Great post Dave. He's one of the best strikers who have ever worn the shirt, and the lack of respect he gets is a joke. In comparison we fawn at the feet of Firmino, and so far in his Liverpool career he's not in the same Galaxy. And as you say he was sh!te yesterday wasn't he. Apart from setting up our goal and being a step away from getting one himself, he did f*** all. Then he looks gutted when he got brought off, cheeky f*****.

Put him in a proper good side and he'll score every week. Another striker who "Doesn't suit our system".
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #443: Apr 03, 2016 11:27:51 pm
      He's one of the best strikers who have ever worn the shirt, and the lack of respect he gets is a joke.

Not even close! Not imo and I've seen some great Liverpool strikers.

And as you say he was sh!te yesterday wasn't he. Apart from setting up our goal and being a step away from getting one himself, he did f*** all. Then he looks gutted when he got brought off, cheeky f*****.

Put him in a proper good side and he'll score every week. Another striker who "Doesn't suit our system".

What about spade work, you know closing down defenders, that at the moment is the complaint from some including me.

Call it pressing, call it geggen-pressing or call it as we used to call it - attacking from the front. Something Daniel does not do enough of.

How many times does he drop out of the box to the edge of the area when we're trying to play the ball into the box and meaning we have no striking option in the box.

I keep hearing world class being uttered, sorry I just don't see it in Sturridge, yeah he'll score goals, but he ain't a world-class striker.

As I said, just my opinion!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #444: Apr 03, 2016 11:37:29 pm
      Not even close! Not imo and I've seen some great Liverpool strikers.

What about spade work, you know closing down defenders, that at the moment is the complaint from some including me.

Call it pressing, call it geggen-pressing or call it as we used to call it - attacking from the front. Something Daniel does not do enough of.

How many times does he drop out of the box to the edge of the area when we're trying to play the ball into the box and meaning we have no striking option in the box.

I keep hearing world class being uttered, sorry I just don't see it in Sturridge, yeah he'll score goals, but he ain't a world-class striker.

As I said, just my opinion!

Fair enough mate and good post. One of our best ever strikers? Well live I've seen Dalglish, Rush, Aldridge, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez etc. The best of the lot IMHO is Suarez, with Kenny next followed by Fowler and Rush. I'd have Sturridge up there with Torres and Owen (I also thought Aldo was underrated) but I would accept it without a quibble though if people weren't having it. The fact though that he is capable of being mentioned in the same breath as those guys says he is a pretty special player.

I'll give you the work rate, but not all strikers are Rushy or Suarez. Not saying it's OK to be lazy, but some fellas are not "defend from the front" types. Sometimes despite that they are worth it, Sturridge is one of those players IMHO.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #445: Apr 03, 2016 11:53:33 pm
      Was a fair result at the end I thought.

Heart said win before the game but the head said draw and that is what we got in the end.
      « Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016 12:54:43 am by Dadorious »
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #446: Apr 04, 2016 12:52:08 am
      Still think our bird looks better than their bird.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #447: Apr 04, 2016 01:38:27 am

Someone here asked the question :- When was the last time you saw Sturrigde sprinting to get to a ball?.... Now compere him to the Sturridge we saw last season or earlier this season... He has for the most part been a shadow of himself... I believe that the only reason he has gotten away with it is that we have two fit strikers in Benteke, and Origi who are themselves doing F*(k all, and Sturrigde by default is at present the only option.... I believe if Ings was fit Sturrigde would be on the bench about now.... And as for the look on his face when he comes off....
      If you aren't playing that well and you are subbed, show some class, acknowledge the fan thank the manager and vow to do better next time
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #448: Apr 04, 2016 01:52:07 am
      Using my body language reading powers, I don't think Klopp and Sturridge are ever going to be pen-pals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #449: Apr 04, 2016 02:00:53 am
      Fair enough mate and good post. One of our best ever strikers? Well live I've seen Dalglish, Rush, Aldridge, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez etc. The best of the lot IMHO is Suarez, with Kenny next followed by Fowler and Rush. I'd have Sturridge up there with Torres and Owen (I also thought Aldo was underrated) but I would accept it without a quibble though if people weren't having it. The fact though that he is capable of being mentioned in the same breath as those guys says he is a pretty special player.

I'll give you the work rate, but not all strikers are Rushy or Suarez. Not saying it's OK to be lazy, but some fellas are not "defend from the front" types. Sometimes despite that they are worth it, Sturridge is one of those players IMHO.

Fair enough and some good points there. Might be a case of hopefully seeing improvements with this fitness programme that Klopp has put in place for him and it might be that we'll see the fruits of that hopefully next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #450: Apr 04, 2016 09:18:06 am

How many goals has he scored?
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #451: Apr 04, 2016 09:31:37 am
      Great post Dave. He's one of the best strikers who have ever worn the shirt, and the lack of respect he gets is a joke. In comparison we fawn at the feet of Firmino, and so far in his Liverpool career he's not in the same Galaxy. And as you say he was sh!te yesterday wasn't he. Apart from setting up our goal and being a step away from getting one himself, he did f*** all. Then he looks gutted when he got brought off, cheeky f*****.

You know I'm one of Studge's biggest fans mate but I am having some doubts about his physical condition. Are you not a little concerned as well? He looks to have lost a step, in top line speed and quickness over 10-15 yards. He always used to be a nice mix of dropping deep and playing between the lines AND playing on the shoulder to offer a threat in behind, the latter part seems to have disappeared from his game. I understand he has been out a long time BUT he has been back a fair while now and it doesn't appear to be improving. He still has that bit of cleverness and vision that we saw for the goal on Saturday but since his return he has looked a shell of the player we are familiar with. I'm hoping a few more months injury free and a genuine pre-season will be the answer.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #452: Apr 04, 2016 09:33:32 am

50!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #453: Apr 04, 2016 11:22:00 am

Not really my point. Injury prone? Yes. Bags of talent? Yes. looking as good as he was? No. Attitude problem? Totally unfounded. Have some people got it in for him because they like a good rumour or conspiracy theory? Definitely.

If we get him back scoring like he was the last thing people will be complaining about is his work rate. That's what goals do and is what he can deliver when fit. He does need to up it but people jumping all over him because of the way he comes off is clutching at straws to jump on him in my opinion.

He may well not ever get back to how he was but he's worth a punt isn't he? I'd rather have him around than not have him around.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016 11:34:20 am by what-a-hit-son »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #454: Apr 04, 2016 11:40:44 am

You said he was the fastest LFC player to get to 50 goals. Ever. Told us to think about the names of the strikers we had had.

He's scored 47 goals (39 in the league) and it's taken him over 3 years.

He may well not ever get back to how he was but he's worth a punt isn't he? I'd rather have him around than not have him around.

Yeah, if the club feel they can afford it, I'd have him around too.

But it would be foolish for the club to build their future around a striker who has, so far, averaged about 12 league goals a season.

I'm not particularly bothered about his reaction at coming off, I'm more bothered about him looking like he'd rather be somewhere else when he's on the pitch.  He hasn't looked right since the final and that was probably only his third game back or something.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #455: Apr 04, 2016 12:07:40 pm
      You said he was the fastest LFC player to get to 50 goals. Ever. Told us to think about the names of the strikers we had had.He's scored 47 goals (39 in the league) and it's taken him over 3 years.

Think I misread what you meant. He's been injured so unable to get to a number of goals that will put him in the bracket of those greats I refer to. If he can get fit and stay fit do you not agree he can get a very high number of goals for us? That 50 shows us he can.

I'm not particularly bothered about his reaction at coming off, I'm more bothered about him looking like he'd rather be somewhere else when he's on the pitch.  He hasn't looked right since the final and that was probably only his third game back or something.

I agree that he can be working a bit harder, that's fair game. Not sure how that constitutes to him wanting to be somewhere else, though.

I remember he looked really pissed off after missing a penalty against Everton when we hammered them. The penalty would have been his hat trick. People weren't pissed off with his face then. It's just him, he hasn't changed in that respect. Has he ever looked happy on the field?

What will be will be but I think he is getting unfair criticism. He has had a hard couple of years on a professional level - he really didn't want to be injured, I'm sure of that. There is no doubt his injuries and breakdowns will be playing on his mind in these early stages of his rehabilitation. Personally, I'm prepared to be patient as I believe he is worth it. He may well break down again and if he does I'm sure the correct decisions will be made by the manager and the coaching staff.

He got injured, got slated. He's come back and probably in his first run of bad form in the small amount of games he has played in his time here and people are on him like flies on sh*t. And when I say bad form its not even that bad. Just not the level he has set which should tell us something.

Too early into his rehab to be putting the 'For Sale' signs up if you ask me.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #456: Apr 04, 2016 12:11:42 pm
      Think I misread what you meant. He's been injured so unable to get to a number of goals that will put him in the bracket of those greats I refer to. If he can get fit and stay fit do you not agree he can get a very high number of goals for us? That 50 shows us he can.

I agree that he can be working a bit harder, that's fair game. Not sure how that constitutes to him wanting to be somewhere else, though.

I remember he looked really pissed off after missing a penalty against Everton when we hammered them. The penalty would have been his hat trick. People weren't pissed off with his face then. It's just him, he hasn't changed in that respect. Has he ever looked happy on the field?

What will be will be but I think he is getting unfair criticism. He has had a hard couple of years on a professional level - he really didn't want to be injured, I'm sure of that. There is no doubt his injuries and breakdowns will be playing on his mind in these early stages of his rehabilitation. Personally, I'm prepared to be patient as I believe he is worth it. He may well break down again and if he does I'm sure the correct decisions will be made by the manager and the coaching staff.

He got injured, got slated. He's come back and probably in his first run of bad form in the small amount of games he has played in his time here and people are on him like flies on sh*t. And when I say bad form its not even that bad. Just not the level he has set which should tell us something.

Too early into his rehab to be putting the 'For Sale' signs up if you ask me.

Good post.

I remember when he came back from one of his other lay-offs (ffs don't ask me which one it was), it took him quite a while to get going again, similar to what we're seeing now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #457: Apr 04, 2016 12:25:50 pm
      You said he was the fastest LFC player to get to 50 goals. Ever. Told us to think about the names of the strikers we had had.He's scored 47 goals (39 in the league) and it's taken him over 3 years.

Just back to that, I see I got the amount wrong but you're point seems to be about how much he has played in his time here.

Daniel Agger played 175 times in nine seasons here (I think - Wiki) and I've seen Rodgers get slated in the past for getting rid.

I'm not calling you out on that by the way but it's so, so obvious that people don't like Sturridge's face.

Madness.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #458: Apr 04, 2016 01:32:20 pm
      I love Sturridge, I think he is top quality and when he is fit then i believe he is the second best forward in the league just slightly behind Aguero. He is world class. His record proves that.

But am I pissed off because he sulked like a little girl because he got subbed? Yes I am. He is a professional footballer so respect the F***ing decision of your manager and have respect for your F***ing colleague who is coming on the pitch in your place. You're not a F***ing 9 year old boy playing Sunday league football.

Boils my piss when pro footballers sulk like that and it annoys me even more that fans actually like them doing it because apparently it shows they care. He had 70 mins before that to showed he cared and to be honest he did very little.

Sturridge, by his standards, had a poor/quiet game on Saturday and the sub was the right one. Plus we have Thursday in mind too. So get on with it Danny and stop being a bi*ch.

As I said, love Danny, probably my favourite player, but ive got no time for idiots who sulk like that. For me its not anything like the Liverpool way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #459: Apr 04, 2016 01:36:23 pm
      I love Sturridge, I think he is top quality and when he is fit then i believe he is the second best forward in the league just slightly behind Aguero. He is world class. His record proves that.

But am I pissed off because he sulked like a little girl because he got subbed? Yes I am. He is a professional footballer so respect the f**king decision of your manager and have respect for your f**king colleague who is coming on the pitch in your place. You're not a f**king 9 year old boy playing Sunday league football.

Boils my piss when pro footballers sulk like that and it annoys me even more that fans actually like them doing it because apparently it shows they care. He had 70 mins before that to showed he cared and to be honest he did very little.

Sturridge, by his standards, had a poor/quiet game on Saturday and the sub was the right one. Plus we have Thursday in mind too. So get on with it Danny and stop being a bi*ch.

As I said, love Danny, probably my favourite player, but ive got no time for idiots who sulk like that. For me its not anything like the Liverpool way.

I don't think you have to like it to understand it. I wouldn't want to come off in a big game with the outcome still to be determined either. In fact I'd be pretty pissed off. He clapped the Kop as he left, I don't see that much in it to be honest and I'm usually one to ride players pretty hard for poor behavior.

Quick Reply