Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Danny Ward
      5 (4.4%)
      Connor Randall
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (0.9%)
      Brad Smith
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      44 (38.9%)
      Kevin Stewart
      1 (0.9%)
      Jordon Ibe
      3 (2.7%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      5 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      53 (46.9%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Apr 21, 2016 04:45:44 pm

Bournemouth 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31168 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Re: Bournemouth 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #391: Apr 17, 2016 04:44:32 pm
      The young lads held the fort well, bringing back all three points. A goal for Danny and more match time to sharpen up against the blues in midweek. A very satisfactory afternoon on the whole.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,648 posts | 6943 
      Reply #392: Apr 17, 2016 04:49:39 pm
      Only shame of the day was the lack of a clean sheet that would have moved us up a place in the league.

Oh and the fact that Sturridge should have got himself a hat-trick.

Well done to the kids.  Not entirely sure about Randall as a top flight player but on the whole they did themselves proud.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #393: Apr 17, 2016 05:01:36 pm
      Out of interest, what would you base this on Mick?

Haha I see the trap Luke but it's a fair question.

The quality of players we have mate firstly and formostly. We've got a number of players who IMHO would get into a "squad of the league" and most would be on the fringes of it. Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino for example up top, Clyne and Lovren at the back, with Sakho, Can etc not far off.

Then there's current form. By current form I don't just include league performances (although they feel to me like they're improving, ie we're picking up more points and playing better) but we've also banjoed the Mancs over two legs, then put out one of the best teams in Europe the other night in the same format. All season we've proven time and time again (in my eyes anyway) that we are a good team waiting to happen. We were even doing it under TPM occasionally once the hyperbole and silliness had been stripped away, the trick has always been to get us to play "like that" all the time, or at least to grind out a result when we don't.

On our day or even within our fifteen minute spells of those days, we are a bloody good team. Nobody will ever convince me that we wren't and aren't plenty good enough to have made a much better fist of things this season in the league. In many respects the better teams we knock out in Europe convinces me even more that we really ought to do a little better than get beat 3-0 at Watford, 2-0 at Newcastle etc. The two things I'd have done different with the benefit of hindsight would have been to buy in the mid season window when nobody else was (always a good time to buy that) and to have better coped with playing direct teams earlier in the season.

I'm over the moon with how we're playing now and our results, but I think if we'd done those two things we might have just surprised a few people THIS season as opposed to waiting for the next one in the league. Obviously the way things have panned out in the Europa league is doing us no end of favours in the feel good factor.

I know many have commented on it but there are many striking similarities to the first season of Benitez, with potential cup success going hand in hand with league failure. I know many will say "well if he can do as well as that then that'll do for me" but I would add a couple of other points. Firstly Benitez actually won the thing in Europe in his first season, we haven't yet and it'd be a travesty not to after Thursdays heroics. Secondly, I'm hopeful that even if Jürgen does win the Europa league he might do better than one FA Cup in the next five seasons. There really is the potential with this fella for true "legend" status in my opinion, but to achieve it he must be absolutely ruthless. I think perhaps we missed a trick to be totally ruthless earlier in the season when he first arrived, hopefully it's the last time.         
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #394: Apr 17, 2016 05:02:17 pm
      I've just taken a look at the table, what if what if say Man City wins the CL and we sneaked into 5th place, will we sneak into the CL? Just wondering.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #395: Apr 17, 2016 05:16:07 pm

Debs, I've been thinking about this for a long time now, sometimes, no that's not quite right, a lot of the time clubs fans need someone who speaks with intelligence and with forethought, someone who brings about a modicum of sense in what most of us write absolute drivel, you are indeed the Oracle, I bow to you as I walk backwards, live long and prosper oh wise one  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA

Only just seen this Billy - behave  :laugh:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #396: Apr 17, 2016 05:23:03 pm
      I didn't get to see the match, how did we do?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8567 
      Reply #397: Apr 17, 2016 05:26:51 pm
      I didn't get to see the match, how did we do?

Won 2-1.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #398: Apr 17, 2016 05:29:34 pm
      Not watched today's game as I'm clearing the house out but what I've read is we had a very young team out and they done the job by getting a crucial victory...

Well done...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #399: Apr 17, 2016 05:33:07 pm
      I've just taken a look at the table, what if what if say Man City wins the CL and we sneaked into 5th place, will we sneak into the CL? Just wondering.

Nah no chance mate. The only route to CL is winning the Europa. 5th is just Europa spot who ever wins the CL.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #400: Apr 17, 2016 05:43:52 pm
      Looking at Origi & Ojo on the pitch together makes me smile, both huge kids with power, pace and multiple tricks available.

Watching the match today...can see why Ojo passed up Ibe.

Great performance from the kids today, could not as for more.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #401: Apr 17, 2016 06:05:54 pm
      Danny Ward didn't put a foot wrong today, actually felt confident about his performance between the sticks today.
      Maybe more confident in certain aspects of his game than Mignolet.
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2016 08:17:26 pm by stuey »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #402: Apr 17, 2016 06:10:01 pm
      Danny Ward didn't put a foot wrong today, actually felt confidant about his performance between the sticks today.
      Maybe more confidant in certain aspects of his game than Mignolet.

A bit concerned about his ability in the air though. Was a bit troubled by it at times.

Aside from that he looked very good.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #403: Apr 17, 2016 07:38:02 pm
      I voted for Ward as MOTM because he kept us in the game in the second half. I know that Allen and Sturridge played very well but those are the regular players. Ward looks a very decent keeper.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #404: Apr 17, 2016 07:54:51 pm
      Great to get a win with so many of the youngsters in there alongside a few players (Lucas & Firmino) who are still short on fitness. I thought Joe Allen was very good which was important given our injuries at CM, he has become one of the most important players at the club in the space of 10 days. Chuffed to see Ibe back in the side and having a hand in both goals, a few seem to have given up on the lad but for me, he still has the potential to be a very good player. Stewart was tidy, Ward was pretty solid and Ojo once again looks like he belongs at this level. But head and shoulders above everybody else was Studge. Such a classy player and the 90 minutes is hopefully another step towards the full fitness and blistering pace that he possessed before the injuries. I actually think it is doing him the world of good to have Origi stealing his place for the big European games, he's got to fight for his spot which is how it should be. He was my motm by a country mile.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #405: Apr 17, 2016 07:56:20 pm
      I voted for Ward as MOTM because he kept us in the game in the second half. I know that Allen and Sturridge played very well but those are the regular players. Ward looks a very decent keeper.
      I was going to until they scored, perhaps I am a bit harsh with MOTM things. I almost didn't think it was Sturridge after his chip when I thought he should have just slotted it, but I think over all he just edged it over Allen. Ward was FAR better than Mignolet usually is and I think with Mignolet it would have been 2-2 today.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #406: Apr 17, 2016 07:59:29 pm
      I was going to until they scored, perhaps I am a bit harsh with MOTM things. I almost didn't think it was Sturridge after his chip when I thought he should have just slotted it, but I think over all he just edged it over Allen. Ward was FAR better than Mignolet usually is and I think with Mignolet it would have been 2-2 today.

You're harsh as you have mentioned :D  Ward, Sturridge and Allen all did well. Ward was not at fault with the goal, Lucas lost the header and lost the player as well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #407: Apr 17, 2016 08:24:06 pm
      A bit concerned about his ability in the air though. Was a bit troubled by it at times.

Aside from that he looked very good.

I would still rate him above Mignolet with the high balls, Mignolet can look very nervous challenging for them although he has improved of late.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #408: Apr 17, 2016 08:35:37 pm
      I got the result part :D

I should have said how did we perform
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2016 10:09:24 pm by Rush »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #409: Apr 17, 2016 09:57:00 pm
      A nice win today with a fringe squad , Ward a had a decent game with little to bother him , he was confident and distributed the ball well . Allen for me was stand out and he deserves motm , Sturridge had a good game he seems to be getting his match fitness back . Fair play to the young lads they held themselves fairly good . For me Lucas was the worst out there , he lost his mark with no speed in him too many times .
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #410: Apr 17, 2016 10:13:11 pm
      Great team win today.
      10 changes and still the same desire and intensity, chasing the ball down and being productive when we won it.

it's a great feeling when Jürgen can play virtually anyone in his squad and they will give it their heart and soul.
      It almost felt like we played with brand new signings today and to be able to say that in April is great... isn't it?
      Stewart,Ojo,Randall,Ward even Ibe gave us all fresh confidence that we have players that can step up to the plate when Jürgen needs them to.

if Studge's back heel had've gone in that would have to be Goal of the season surely! ;D
      and for that alone I gave him my man of the match.

anyone want a toffee?

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #411: Apr 17, 2016 10:32:02 pm
      Gonna watch motd now. Then predict my motm😊
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #412: Apr 17, 2016 11:03:47 pm
      Gonna watch motd now. Then predict my motm😊

I knew there was something I meant to record. Unfortunately I'll have to make do with the Dortmund game :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8567 
      Reply #413: Apr 17, 2016 11:29:58 pm
      Forgot to say earlier on after the game, loved hearing the outbreak of Bob Marley from our away mob today.

Quick Reply