Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.

Read 22951 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Re: Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.
      Reply #92: Apr 20, 2016 02:16:47 pm
      Hellish thought.

Imagine us as a soulless club with no links to the community and buying boring boring bas**rds like Aguero (seriously, never has there been a more boring f**k of a world class player) who have no connection to the club they are playing, such to the extent the money grabbing sh*t can't even speak English despite being here for five years.

Our club would be riddled with these wankers. And there'd be no concerted effort of a link to the Merseyside community as our youth team would be packed full of young players from abroad who would only be here for the money, therefore neglecting the chance for local lads to pursue their dream and play for Liverpool FC.

We'd win a league title, but never could such a decades long pursuit be achieved in a more hollow and emotionless manner.

Just think - we'd be like City. And they're so plastic, we don't even give them the courtesy of being named a rival. We want success with the soul we currently have - never in a million years would I sell that soul for a piece of silverware.

So if Sheikh Jeffery Jaffa was to buy us tomorrow and give us money to spend on Hummels,Rues,Gundongan etc etc to add to our current squad and we win the title you would think thats selling our soul for some piece of silverware?..

I couldn't give to shekels if Aguero is a boring c**t,a along as he finds the back of the onion net whilst wearing the Red jersey he could be boring as F**k mate ;D
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #93: Apr 20, 2016 02:24:54 pm
      So if Sheikh Jeffery Jaffa was to buy us tomorrow and give us money to spend on Hummels,Rues,Gundongan etc etc to add to our current squad and we win the title you would think thats selling our soul for some piece of silverware?..

I couldn't give to shekels if Aguero is a boring c**t,a along as he finds the back of the onion net whilst wearing the Red jersey he could be boring as f**k mate ;D

Look, I don't mind us buying a a few world class players but I wholeheartedly believe the club can be self-sustainable also by filling out the squad with our own nurtured players. There is a great sense of satisfaction seeing us develop a player to greatness rather than just buying a squad of players that are the finished article. The supporters get a greater sense of connection to players we can watch develop with our club over time, and know the proud feeling that WE created this.

There's just no sense of satisfaction or sense of journey in doing that. It's like merely watching the end of a movie with a happy ending but never watching the full movie. It's easy as a result to feel detached from it all, and the result is a hollow feeling where you just know you've felt greater sense of pleasure than that (I.e. Our previous trophy successes).

Im excited by talent we can get and what we can do with them. Team building and all that - it's part of the joys of football surely.

It's not just the end point which is amazing for us Liverpool fans, it's the journey towards those goals too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #94: Apr 20, 2016 02:28:27 pm
      I agree let's stick with charismatic figures like Jimmy Milner - who really wants Aguero!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #95: Apr 20, 2016 02:29:02 pm
      I fully support this take over ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #96: Apr 20, 2016 02:31:45 pm
      Not really, at least not in the short term mate, firstly the top players will still want to play for top clubs, while the remains of FFP will ensure that the balance of power still lies with the clubs earning the most money from all sources. What it will mean is that smaller clubs will be better able to hang on to their best players and no longer have to sell them just to make ends meet.

The earning power of the top clubs will still ensure that the playing field is never flat.

Liverpool remain in 5th place in the English revenue league with £256 million, as all other clubs have grown their revenue in 2013/14, thanks primarily to the new Premier League TV deal. As Warren Buffett once said, “A rising tide lifts all boats.” Liverpool are still a fair way behind their rivals for Champions League qualification with Manchester United’s revenue of £433 million being an amazing £177 million (or almost 70%) higher. Similarly, Liverpool are below Manchester City £347 million, Chelsea £320 million and Arsenal £299 million. That said, Liverpool are in turn much higher than Tottenham’s £181 million.
      FFP is good but limited by clubs bankrolling their own sponsorship deals for revenue deals. We all know it happens, it will probably make the news next decade and everyone will act all shocked.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #97: Apr 20, 2016 03:17:16 pm
      When looked at in terms of investment there's little to believe FSG will be selling anytime soon, the return on investment is just too strong. Their investment of £300m in the purchase has already increased in value by £400m, with an influx of money coming into the club the prospect of CL football in the near future (in Klopp's time here) then that value will continue to grow at a rate that would be extremely difficult to match elsewhere and in the end that will most probably be the driving force behind their decision.

I know S@int pointed out that "a rising tide raises all boats" but the body of water we sit does not encompass all shipping lanes. The TV investment is only into the premier league and therefore relative to it's competitors the value of those clubs in this league will rise substantially.

As to whether we're owned by an American hedge fund or an oil Sheik there's little difference in the beneficiary. I do understand SoaG's point regarding the journey of players and the attachment that can bring, but still we'd have youth football, still if they were good enough they'd make it so I'd have no problem being owned by someone willing to invest their own money into the club to bring about success. In truth it would be a pleasant change to enter a transfer window knowing we truly could compete with anyone in world football and we were here to win more than just the financial rewards of buying low and selling high.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #98: Apr 20, 2016 03:50:39 pm
      I can't believe that some only look at this through the prism of money. One of the first things that Jürgen Klopp said when he came into the club was 'Why do you have to think about money all the time?' We've got someone who values player development and holds up the true spirit of football - that it is a game that can circumvent monetary power by the power of player and team spirit alone. Now call me naive or ignorant but I really do believe him and he has the record to back it up. His Dortmund side could not be a better example of that, and indeed, Leicester City's exploits is another fantastic example of that. Money dictates that you go out and find the best players. Jürgen's philosophy dictates that you go out and find the right players. With all the money in the world to spend I have no doubt that a hierarchy would force Jürgen to go out and spend big on the best players available (not withstanding the fact that we are already spending a satisfying amount in the transfer market). I'd rather win one premier league title doing it in a way similar to what Klopp achieved at Dortmund as opposed to three titles the way Man City and Chelsea have done. It would go against everything Jürgen has worked for in his football career. Of course I'm not saying you can't win the league without money. You need money to compete and we certainly have enough of that. As I said earlier, in FSG I believe we have owners who can maximise the business and financial opportunities that this football club has available. In time I genuinely believe it will reach a solid and sustainable period of growth to the point where we are in the top 5 richest football clubs in the world (indeed we are already the 9th richest club in the world - just behind Chelsea). Of course future growth relies greatly on our on field fortunes and who better to ensure that than the manager we have at the moment?

One of the arguments used against Brendan was the amount of money he had available to spend. Ironically those people who clamour for the Arab to throw his billions at us are now the ones proclaiming a lack of competitiveness in the market. FSG have shown significant backing to our managers already - certainly enough for most people on here to believe that we should have been achieving much more than we have in the last decade or so. It seems to be one flavour of blame one month (ham fisted transfer strategy) and now with this whiff of a dodgy rumour, that has been usurped by proclamations of blame centred around a belief that we 'can't compete with the big clubs'.

As it stands, this is just a hypothetical discussion because the rumour is utter bollocks. I see a greater likelihood that FSG open up and sell some shares to other investors  but remain majority shareholders in the club similar to the model at Arsenal but with greater rewards because I don't see, with a manager like Klopp at the club, Liverpool lagging into the sort of dull ambition where Champions League qualification only is deemed the high point of success. Plus, people actually care about Liverpool in world football unlike Arsenal.
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2016 04:28:40 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #99: Apr 20, 2016 03:55:13 pm
      Hellish thought.

Imagine us as a soulless club with no links to the community and buying boring boring bas**rds like Aguero (seriously, never has there been a more boring f**k of a world class player) who have no connection to the club they are playing, such to the extent the money grabbing sh*t can't even speak English despite being here for five years.

Our club would be riddled with these wankers. And there'd be no concerted effort of a link to the Merseyside community as our youth team would be packed full of young players from abroad who would only be here for the money, therefore neglecting the chance for local lads to pursue their dream and play for Liverpool FC.

We'd win a league title, but never could such a decades long pursuit be achieved in a more hollow and emotionless manner.

Just think - we'd be like City. And they're so plastic, we don't even give them the courtesy of being named a rival. We want success with the soul we currently have - never in a million years would I sell that soul for a piece of silverware. If people don't get that, they don't get the city of Liverpool.

Surely real fans would get a greater sense of fulfilment with victory OUR way and not the way of all the financially doped club? Just look at what Dortmund did, or just like Atletico Madrid are doing. It's not beyond possibility you know - we do have the manager.

Problem with ManCity is that they never really had 'spirit' to begin with :D  Their history before oil money while still nice isn't exactly world beating like ours.  Our club is based off of traditions and the backbone of winning trophies.  With possible oil money, it just helps grease the wheels so the club can achieve those ambitions imo.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #100: Apr 20, 2016 04:01:26 pm
      now with this whiff of a dodgy rumour that has been usurped by proclamations of blame centred around a belief that we 'can't compete with the big clubs'.

I agree.

We had paid some downright gigantic fees for players. Their wages stack up too with Benteke at £140k, Milner at £100k (for a 30 year old) and Bobby at £100k. All of these were brought in under the influence of a manager FSG knew they were ready to boot at the first sign of trouble. But they still have him a barrow full of cash to go out and try save his job. Question their logic in that all you like but it shows they'll put the money up.

This also goes against the strongly held belief that players must have a resale value. Well how good can Benteke be to get a return on £32m? Or Bobby at £27m? Milner at 30 years old (he'd get a chunky sign on fee)?

We have enough to compete with the big boys. Problem is it's been blown on a pile of trash most of the time. Jürgen, i hope, will help turn things around.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #101: Apr 20, 2016 04:17:44 pm
      Oh and please, for the love of god, let's remember the source here - the Daily Star.

Can you imagine Huw Edwards on BBC News at Ten: 'The news of the sale, first broken by the Daily Star newspaper...' Said no one ever. Just a good job that Jim Boardman doesn't work for The Times anymore because this piss weak story would probably have been splashed over the front page by now. Given The Times reputation for investigative reporting and uncovering corruption at FIFA and doping in cycling, that was a pretty low point for exclusives. Not surprising that he was given the heave from that paper. Awful, awful journalist.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #102: Apr 20, 2016 04:23:46 pm
      Oh and please, for the love of god, let's remember the source here - the Daily Star.

Can you imagine Huw Edwards on BBC News at Ten: 'The news of the sale, first broken by the Daily Star newspaper...' Said no one ever. Just a good job that Jim Boardman doesn't work for The Times anymore because this piss weak story would probably have been splashed over the front page by now. Given The Times reputation for investigative reporting and uncovering corruption at FIFA and doping in cycling, that was a pretty low point for exclusives. Not surprising that he was given the heave from that paper. Awful, awful journalist.

It's very telling that on the day of the Merseyside derby this thread has as many pages as the pre match thread mate.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #103: Apr 20, 2016 04:25:21 pm
      I can't believe that some only look at this through the prism of money. One of the first things that Jürgen Klopp said when he came into the club was 'Why do you have to think about money all the time?' We've got someone who values player development and holds up the true spirit of football - that it is a game that can circumvent monetary power by the power of player and team spirit alone. Now call me naive or ignorant but I really do believe him and he has the record to back it up. His Dortmund side could not be a better example of that, and indeed, Leicester City's exploits is another fantastic example of that. Money dictates that you go out and find the best players. Jürgen's philosophy dictates that you go out and find the right players. With all the money in the world to spend I have no doubt that a hierarchy would force Jürgen to go out and spend big on the best players available (not withstanding the fact that we are already spending a satisfying amount in the transfer market). I'd rather win one premier league title doing it in a way similar to what Klopp achieved at Dortmund as opposed to three titles the way Man City and Chelsea have done. It would go against everything Jürgen has worked for in his football career. Of course I'm not saying you can't win the league without money. You need money to compete and we certainly have enough of that. As I said earlier, in FSG I believe we have owners who can maximise the business and financial opportunities that this football club have. In time I genuinely believe it will reach a solid and sustainable period of growth to the point where we are in the top 5 richest football clubs in the world (indeed we are already the 9th richest club in the world - just behind Chelsea). Of course future growth relies greatly on our on field fortunes and who better to ensure that than the manager we have at the moment?

One of the arguments used against Brendan was the amount of money he had available to spend. Ironically those people who clamour for the Arab to throw his billions at us are now the ones proclaiming a lack of competitiveness in the market. FSG have shown significant backing to our managers already - certainly enough for most people on here to believe that we should have been achieving much more than we have in the last decade or so. It seems to be one flavour of blame one month (ham fisted transfer strategy) and now with this whiff of a dodgy rumour that has been usurped by proclamations of blame centred around a belief that we 'can't compete with the big clubs'.

As it stands, I think the rumour is bollocks and I see a greater likelihood that FSG open up and sell some shares to other investors  but remain majority shareholders in the club similar to the model at Arsenal but with greater rewards because I don't see, with a manager like Klopp at the club, Liverpool lagging into the sort of dull ambition where Champions League qualification only is deemed the high point of success. Plus, people actually care about Liverpool in world football unlike Arsenal.

Good post mate. One thing I would say is that a large part of our transfer money has been funded by the sale of two of our best players (3 if you want to go back before Brendan).

And while we all hope that Klopp can "do more with less" he still has to do it. Leicester have shown that it is possible when the stars align and the top teams have incredibly bad seasons, but how often does that happen?

For example if we spend £100million but sell Coutinho and Sturridge I am not sure that we will see a great improvement. Maybe like Billy Beane we can make up for losing big players by our efforts elsewhere, but again it is more hope than something we have actually done.

For me if you want continued success you need money, the more you have the easier it becomes. Transfer mistakes can be rectified not lived with, injuries become less of a problem and holding on to your best players becomes easier. Yes, you still have to spend the money wisely but with more to spend the odd bad buy doesn't kill your season.

So while this rumour is probably just pie in the sky, I wouldn't say no to a new owner who wants to pump money into the club if one ever becomes available.     
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #104: Apr 20, 2016 04:54:17 pm

So while this rumour is probably just pie in the sky, I wouldn't say no to a new owner who wants to pump money into the club if one ever becomes available.     

Well said.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #105: Apr 20, 2016 05:19:28 pm
      As it stands, this is just a hypothetical discussion because the rumour is utter bollocks. I see a greater likelihood that FSG open up and sell some shares to other investors  but remain majority shareholders in the club similar to the model at Arsenal but with greater rewards because I don't see, with a manager like Klopp at the club, Liverpool lagging into the sort of dull ambition where Champions League qualification only is deemed the high point of success. Plus, people actually care about Liverpool in world football unlike Arsenal.

I believe this is the most likely scenario of all.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #106: Apr 20, 2016 07:34:41 pm
      I can't believe that some only look at this through the prism of money. One of the first things that Jürgen Klopp said when he came into the club was 'Why do you have to think about money all the time?' We've got someone who values player development and holds up the true spirit of football - that it is a game that can circumvent monetary power by the power of player and team spirit alone. Now call me naive or ignorant but I really do believe him and he has the record to back it up. His Dortmund side could not be a better example of that, and indeed, Leicester City's exploits is another fantastic example of that. Money dictates that you go out and find the best players. Jürgen's philosophy dictates that you go out and find the right players. With all the money in the world to spend I have no doubt that a hierarchy would force Jürgen to go out and spend big on the best players available (not withstanding the fact that we are already spending a satisfying amount in the transfer market). I'd rather win one premier league title doing it in a way similar to what Klopp achieved at Dortmund as opposed to three titles the way Man City and Chelsea have done. It would go against everything Jürgen has worked for in his football career. Of course I'm not saying you can't win the league without money. You need money to compete and we certainly have enough of that. As I said earlier, in FSG I believe we have owners who can maximise the business and financial opportunities that this football club has available. In time I genuinely believe it will reach a solid and sustainable period of growth to the point where we are in the top 5 richest football clubs in the world (indeed we are already the 9th richest club in the world - just behind Chelsea). Of course future growth relies greatly on our on field fortunes and who better to ensure that than the manager we have at the moment?

One of the arguments used against Brendan was the amount of money he had available to spend. Ironically those people who clamour for the Arab to throw his billions at us are now the ones proclaiming a lack of competitiveness in the market. FSG have shown significant backing to our managers already - certainly enough for most people on here to believe that we should have been achieving much more than we have in the last decade or so. It seems to be one flavour of blame one month (ham fisted transfer strategy) and now with this whiff of a dodgy rumour, that has been usurped by proclamations of blame centred around a belief that we 'can't compete with the big clubs'.

I agree, it's a pile of sh*t.

Just think what Bill Shankly would think of all this - he'd be appalled.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #107: Apr 20, 2016 07:38:16 pm
      I agree let's stick with charismatic figures like Jimmy Milner - who really wants Aguero!

I'd get no sense of fulfilment watching some robotic arsehole who probably wouldn't know where Liverpool is. Yeah, Milner ain't great but he's a hardworking honest pro who will put in 110% for this club.

Like against Dortmund - he kept trying and trying and trying, and persistence is key. And his effort was rewarded in that match. If we had a player like Aguero playing for us 2-0 down at home in a crucial 2nd leg, he'd have sulked the whole way through the match when things weren't going our way, and we would have folded. And that's what happens when you get a billionaire who buys a bunch of talented but overpaid egos. How many times have City folded when things don't go their way? Hard work and commitment to the club often goes a longer way than some rich overpaid prima donna. Just ask Jürgen Klopp what he'd rather have, though I'm sure we all know the answer.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #108: Apr 20, 2016 07:40:14 pm
      I'd get no sense of fulfilment watching some robotic arsehole who probably wouldn't know where Liverpool is. Yeah, Milner ain't great but he's a hardworking honest pro who will put in 110% for this club.

Like against Dortmund - he kept trying and trying and trying, and persistence is key. And his effort was rewarded in that match. If we had a boring arsehole like Aguero playing for us, he'd have sulked the whole way through the match when things weren't going our way, and we would have folded.

F**k them, I don't want money grabbing guys like that playing for a club without any commitment.

Aguero used to support Liverpool mate, was desperate to sign for us before he went to Madrid.

Highly-rated Argentinian teenager Sergio Aguero wants to join Liverpool.

Highly-rated Argentinian teenager Sergio Aguero says that he would rather join European champions Liverpool than German giants Bayern Munich.

Bayern had been looking to make a move for the promising 17-year-old attacker, and were willing to pay around £10 million for his services.

Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge hinted a bid would be forthcoming sooner rather than later in the hope of getting their foot  in the door ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

However, the Independiente youngster says that he would rather join Rafa Benitez's Liverpool - the club he says he supported as a boy.

"If I had to choose a league then it would be the Premier League," Aguero is quoted as saying in the Munich TZ newspaper.

"I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and it would be a dream to play there.

"I watched the Champions League final and celebrated every goal as if it was for Independiente."
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #109: Apr 20, 2016 07:46:24 pm
      Aguero used to support Liverpool mate, was desperate to sign for us before he went to Madrid.

Highly-rated Argentinian teenager Sergio Aguero wants to join Liverpool.

Highly-rated Argentinian teenager Sergio Aguero says that he would rather join European champions Liverpool than German giants Bayern Munich.

Bayern had been looking to make a move for the promising 17-year-old attacker, and were willing to pay around £10 million for his services.

Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge hinted a bid would be forthcoming sooner rather than later in the hope of getting their foot  in the door ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

However, the Independiente youngster says that he would rather join Rafa Benitez's Liverpool - the club he says he supported as a boy.

"If I had to choose a league then it would be the Premier League," Aguero is quoted as saying in the Munich TZ newspaper.

"I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and it would be a dream to play there.

"I watched the Champions League final and celebrated every goal as if it was for Independiente."

Why did he go to City then? A club he probably had never heard of prior to waving a big cheque book. As soon as a young talent is swayed by money, I'm not convinced about him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #110: Apr 20, 2016 07:50:35 pm
      Why did he go to City then? A club he probably had never heard of prior to waving a big cheque book. As soon as a young talent is swayed by money, I'm not convinced about him.

Presumably we couldn't afford him mate. You can't blame the player if we don't make the offer. At the time when he wanted to come here we bought Kuyt and Pennant instead as we thought £17million for a teenager was too much.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #111: Apr 20, 2016 07:52:33 pm
      Presumably we couldn't afford him mate. You can't blame the player if we don't make the offer. At the time when he wanted to come here we bought Kuyt and Pennant instead as we thought £17million for a teenager was too much.

Parry would not sanction the move from what I read... Too much of a gamble he thought.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #112: Apr 20, 2016 07:54:29 pm
      Parry would not sanction the move from what I read... Too much of a gamble he thought.

Like with Cristiano Ronaldo? The things that man has to answer for...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #113: Apr 20, 2016 07:56:26 pm
      Like with Cristiano Ronaldo? The things that man has to answer for...

If I'm not wrong... Mata, Silva, Turan too I think..
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #114: Apr 20, 2016 07:57:40 pm

Nah mate, Rafa said at the time that he needed players to help him now and couldn't afford to wait for them to develop.

Quick Reply