Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 50454 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #322: May 30, 2017 03:57:03 pm
      So you're either a mind reader or a very good friend of Owen but you 've had a falling out and have now decided to let the rest of us know just what he was really like.
      Because you couldn't possibly have reached those conclusions in your post by simply watching him play football . That would just be crazy .

I'm not a mind reader. Neither am I a friend of Michael, let alone fall out with him. Both statements are wrong. I don't just watch him play football matches. We read and track him on the media, be it quotes, post match interviews or what he does on BBC. Don't forget his book too. Me watching him for 90min alone is also wrong. To begin with all three statements are wrong. If that's your opinion, so be it. Your right to a wrong opinion.

We all know he wanted to go to Real and that faithful Grazer AK CL match which he didn't play. He ran down his contract and we were almost left with nothing (in contrast Suraez signed a new contract and we got £65m out of him). We watch him in the media and hear those mean comments about us.

A quote from four four two: "When I first wasn't included I was numb. I'd been the main England striker for years and years. It was really disappointing, upsetting. For the next few days you're trying to get your head round it," he said.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/owen-england-snub-left-me-numb

Not playing for England is "disappointing and upsetting". To Jamie, it's "F**k it, it's only England. who's bigger than Liverpool?". England is where Michael's heart is. See the contrast?

Sometimes I don't know if he's a Manc or one of us on BBC. I still cannot figure that out.

Don't conclude things too quickly. Sometimes hearing people out and trying to understand where people are coming from helps.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #323: May 30, 2017 04:19:43 pm
      If we signed him when we had the chance, maybe losing at home to Benfica and Fiorentina, and drawing at home to Birmingham and Fulham, amid endless other embarrassing results during those years may never have happened.

But no we didn't. A point had to be proved to him, even when our alternatives were the mighty Le Tallec and later, the prolific El Zhar. Then he wouldn't have to go somewhere else, and we wouldn't draw up petitions about him today.

We let Rush go in 87, and brought him back in 88. It wasn't about proving a point, it was bringing a proven goalscorer back home for the benefit of the club. He wasn't as prolific when he returned, but he did his bit, and won the cup for us the year after.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #324: May 30, 2017 05:13:46 pm
      Hope FSG's little spys in the skies are reading all this noise about Mr O.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #325: May 30, 2017 05:15:19 pm
      If we signed him when we had the chance, maybe losing at home to Benfica and Fiorentina, and drawing at home to Birmingham and Fulham, amid endless other embarrassing results during those years may never have happened.

But no we didn't. A point had to be proved to him, even when our alternatives were the mighty Le Tallec and later, the prolific El Zhar. Then he wouldn't have to go somewhere else, and we wouldn't draw up petitions about him today.

We let Rush go in 87, and brought him back in 88. It wasn't about proving a point, it was bringing a proven goalscorer back home for the benefit of the club. He wasn't as prolific when he returned, but he did his bit, and won the cup for us the year after.

We weren't ripped off for an extra £8 million over the return of Rush though!!

Real wanted £15/£16 million and we wouldn't pay it, especially as Rafa thought he could do a deal to get the price tag lowered as he knew what Real were doing. Michael though, listened to his agent, plus worried about his England place, then signed for Newcastle. Mother-F***ing-FACT!!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017 05:25:42 pm by HUYTON RED »
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #326: May 30, 2017 05:24:50 pm
      We weren't ripped off for an extra £8 million over the return of Rush though?

Real wanted £15/£16 million and we wouldn't pay it, especially as Rafa thought he could do a deal to get the price tag lowered as he knew what Real were doing. Michael though, listened to his agent, plus worried about his England place, then signed for Newcastle. Mother-F***ing-FACT!!

Don't bother yourself, it's always Rafa's fault with that fella! He'll be to blame for climate change aswell in across the waters book!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,542 posts | 725 
      Reply #327: May 30, 2017 06:49:05 pm
      The analogy is flawed, Ince did not run his contract down to make a more attractive buying proposition, Ince did not make unfavourable comments about LFC in his time with the mancs.a

most people are hating on this because he 'played for the mancs'. MOST aren't talking about him leaving for a low fee. Its clear as day, just read the thread. I mean, the guy even played for newcastle before her even went to man u. He played about 30 games for the mancs and people are making petitions its pathetic.

You think united fans hate Ince this much? He's still a legend for them. And he captained us many times!

It makes us look pathetic and jealous of manures success.

I'm unaware of any 'unfavorable comments' he made while at man u. If u have any links, please supply them.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2017 06:53:24 pm by PastorGeek »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #328: May 30, 2017 07:04:16 pm
      most people are hating on this because he 'played for the mancs'. MOST aren't talking about him leaving for a low fee. Its clear as day, just read the thread. I mean, the guy even played for newcastle before her even went to man u. He played about 30 games for the mancs and people are making petitions its pathetic.

You think united fans hate Ince this much? He's still a legend for them. And he captained us many times!

I'm unaware of any 'unfavorable comments' he made while at man u. If u have any links, please supply them.

Ince is anything but a legend with the mancs. Left in a huff after a fall-out with Ferguson, sold onto Inter Milan and upon his return with Liverpool, was lambasted as a big-headed charlie by Ferguson.

Ince captained us for about a year to 18 months until he shat out of the 2-1 cup defeat at Old Trafford, was revealed as being a mole selling off stories to the News Of The World about LFC, made to train with the kids and binned off to Middlesbrough by Houllier.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #329: May 31, 2017 01:08:57 am
      We weren't ripped off for an extra £8 million over the return of Rush though!!

Owen and his ego thought we would welcome him back with open arms but we didn't .

Rafa wasn't going to pay over the top and have the piss taken out of the club .
      He also remembered how he gave Owen time and every chance to sign a new contract a couple of years earlier.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #330: May 31, 2017 06:38:36 am

I'm pretty sure he said he was a Utd legend, not a Liverpool legend. Anyone else remember that?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #331: May 31, 2017 07:35:34 am
      Manc or not he should just be binned as an ambassador, or whatever the F**k he is, because he's a bad blurt.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #332: May 31, 2017 08:32:02 am
      I'm pretty sure he said he was a Utd legend, not a Liverpool legend. Anyone else remember that?

He didn't reach  legendary status with United but was certainly a hero when he scored that last min goal against our noisy neighbors  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #333: May 31, 2017 08:46:00 am
      He didn't reach  legendary status with United but was certainly a hero when he scored that last min goal against our noisy neighbors  ;D

Keith if you think so highly of Micky Owen why don't you start a thread on redcafe to show your high regard for him.Second thought why not nominate him to be an ambassador of manure.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #334: May 31, 2017 08:59:42 am
      Keith if you think so highly of Micky Owen why don't you start a thread on redcafe to show your high regard for him.Second thought why not nominate him to be an ambassador of manure.

Think you should read my post again Billy. No where does it state I think highly of him. We got his swan song years..(( not at his best ))..  Exceptional player when he played for you lot  ;D

I only highlighted the fact that he won us the Derby.

Regards...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #335: May 31, 2017 09:28:31 am
      Think you should read my post again Billy. No where does it state I think highly of him. We got his swan song years..(( not at his best ))..  Exceptional player when he played for you lot  ;D

I only highlighted the fact that he won us the Derby.

Regards...
                    Fair enough Keith,cheers.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #336: May 31, 2017 09:34:27 am
      I'm not a mind reader. Neither am I a friend of Michael, let alone fall out with him. Both statements are wrong. I don't just watch him play football matches. We read and track him on the media, be it quotes, post match interviews or what he does on BBC. Don't forget his book too. Me watching him for 90min alone is also wrong. To begin with all three statements are wrong. If that's your opinion, so be it. Your right to a wrong opinion.

We all know he wanted to go to Real and that faithful Grazer AK CL match which he didn't play. He ran down his contract and we were almost left with nothing (in contrast Suraez signed a new contract and we got £65m out of him). We watch him in the media and hear those mean comments about us.

A quote from four four two: "When I first wasn't included I was numb. I'd been the main England striker for years and years. It was really disappointing, upsetting. For the next few days you're trying to get your head round it," he said.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/owen-england-snub-left-me-numb

Not playing for England is "disappointing and upsetting". To Jamie, it's "f**k it, it's only England. who's bigger than Liverpool?". England is where Michael's heart is. See the contrast?

Sometimes I don't know if he's a Manc or one of us on BBC. I still cannot figure that out.

Don't conclude things too quickly. Sometimes hearing people out and trying to understand where people are coming from helps.
      Sorry , sfter reading that above i realise you aren't a mind reader , you just have blinkered paranoia .

He was upset at losing his place in the England side and you make it out as a slant on our club ?  Looby Loo !

He runs down his contract  and we only get 8- 10 million ?  Mmmm. 8- 10 million for a player who went on to basically do nothing of consequence in football  other than be on the fringe of Utds title win. The Club let him run his contract down because of their ineptitude . They let the same happen with Mcmanaman .

You watch him and follow him in the media ? Even though you can't stand him ? All those mean comments ? f***in hell . Looby Loo.
      All that money we got for Suarez was wasted so that's another mute point.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #337: May 31, 2017 09:44:44 am
      I think you will find that the Mcmanaman situation was a  little different,he was out of contract and was deemed to be a free agent,Also I don't recall Mcmanaman telling us for 12 months that he would sign a new contract like Micky Owen did.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #338: May 31, 2017 09:59:39 am

The Ince analogy is even more tenuous, Owen is not liked by a majority  of LFC supporters - fact.
      If you cannot see any justification for that situation it is not worth continuing the debate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #339: May 31, 2017 10:44:28 am
      Owen and his ego thought we would welcome him back with open arms but we didn't .

Rafa wasn't going to pay over the top and have the piss taken out of the club .
      He also remembered how he gave Owen time and every chance to sign a new contract a couple of years earlier.

Nailed on Skip, burned his bridges good style.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #340: May 31, 2017 11:38:58 am
      I think you will find that the Mcmanaman situation was a  little different,he was out of contract and was deemed to be a free agent,Also I don't recall Mcmanaman telling us for 12 months that he would sign a new contract like Micky Owen did.
      So he told the club he was going to run down his contract and leave on a free and the club said " Ok Steve " ?  Don't think so.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #341: May 31, 2017 12:15:15 pm
      So he told the club he was going to run down his contract and leave on a free and the club said " Ok Steve " ?  Don't think so.

That screw up was down to Mc Manaman doing the business on us ....and .....Rick Parry being so F***ing naive as a "businessman".
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #342: May 31, 2017 01:09:24 pm
      you just have blinkered paranoia .

That's your own opinion. That's fine. I don't know you at all. So it's okay. Anyway I don't understand why you must get personal over Michael.

He was upset at losing his place in the England side and you make it out as a slant on our club ?  Looby Loo !

I didn't make him out to be as terrible as you think. It was to support my earlier point that Michael was playing for his England spot.

He runs down his contract  and we only get 8- 10 million ?  Mmmm. 8- 10 million for a player who went on to basically do nothing of consequence in football  other than be on the fringe of Utds title win. The Club let him run his contract down because of their ineptitude . They let the same happen with Mcmanaman .

You watch him and follow him in the media ? Even though you can't stand him ? All those mean comments ? F**kin hell . Looby Loo.
      All that money we got for Suarez was wasted so that's another mute point.

You first said that my opinion on Michael is based on football alone. See below:

Because you couldn't possibly have reached those conclusions in your post by simply watching him play football . That would just be crazy .

I'm saying it's not just the football. My opinion is based beyond his football including the media. Then you went on to say if I didn't like him I follow him in the media? This is totally out of context.

I note your comment on the Suraez money but spending it is beside the point. The point was he told Rafa he wanted to go to Real. Therefore he didn't play in that CL match. He didn't bother and did everything for himself. That was my point.

Let's be objective. You can carry on attacking me (by labelling me blinkered persona, mind reader, Michael's friend or what not). That's your baseless opinion and I won't respond to your posts any further. We are here to discuss issues. A bit of banter is fine. But don't take things too far. I didn't call you names. Even if you welcome me, I wouldn't. I last heard Liverpool fans are world class. Even the blueshite have some class and respect for the 96. What about you?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #343: May 31, 2017 02:19:28 pm
      That's your own opinion. That's fine. I don't know you at all. So it's okay. Anyway I don't understand why you must get personal over Michael.

I didn't make him out to be as terrible as you think. It was to support my earlier point that Michael was playing for his England spot.

You first said that my opinion on Michael is based on football alone. See below:

I'm saying it's not just the football. My opinion is based beyond his football including the media. Then you went on to say if I didn't like him I follow him in the media? This is totally out of context.

I note your comment on the Suraez money but spending it is beside the point. The point was he told Rafa he wanted to go to Real. Therefore he didn't play in that CL match. He didn't bother and did everything for himself. That was my point.

Let's be objective. You can carry on attacking me (by labelling me blinkered persona, mind reader, Michael's friend or what not). That's your baseless opinion and I won't respond to your posts any further. We are here to discuss issues. A bit of banter is fine. But don't take things too far. I didn't call you names. Even if you welcome me, I wouldn't. I last heard Liverpool fans are world class. Even the blueshite have some class and respect for the 96. What about you?
      Fair Dinkum
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #344: May 31, 2017 03:24:48 pm

You are defending  your views and replying to an absolute nobhead with too much time on his hands.

Quick Reply