Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 49937 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #345: May 31, 2017 03:30:31 pm
      Rafa benched owen for a long period. How can he play if the manager didn't pick him? This running down contract is more bollocks to put that ex Chelsea manager in a more favourable light. Then he refused to resign him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #346: May 31, 2017 03:37:14 pm
      Rafa benched owen for a long period. How can he play if the manager didn't pick him? This running down contract is more bollocks to put that ex Chelsea manager in a more favourable light. Then he refused to resign him.

Long period = one F***ing game!!

Owen had been running down his contract before Rafa became manager. That was under Houllier's time as manager and was getting dealt with by Rick Parry. So if it is more bollocks, why was Owen's management team putting out statements saying his contract can't be dealt with yet as his agent was on sabbatical?

So basically you're a lying b***ard!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #347: May 31, 2017 03:57:20 pm

What the f**k? Not gonna lie, you are one of my fave posters here, along with that Rafa hater (LFC across the water or whatever  he's called), you 2 spout out so much sh*t it just makes me laugh!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #348: May 31, 2017 04:10:51 pm

One game you n*b, he left the same summer Rafa came in! You really are clueless, good for a laugh though!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #349: May 31, 2017 04:43:27 pm

Haha what are you on about now? Rafa was manager of Owen for 1 game you dunceblock.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #350: May 31, 2017 04:52:49 pm

F***ing hell you do make this sh*t up as you go along
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #351: May 31, 2017 07:09:30 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      We weren't ripped off for an extra £8 million over the return of Rush though!!

Real wanted £15/£16 million and we wouldn't pay it, especially as Rafa thought he could do a deal to get the price tag lowered as he knew what Real were doing. Michael though, listened to his agent, plus worried about his England place, then signed for Newcastle.

We sold him for an amount reflecting the last year of his contract. The asking price to bring him home was an amount reflecting more than a year left on his current contract, fairly standard procedure in both cases. So we either pay the going rate to get the goals and win the games, or don't pay it and face the consequences. We chose the latter option. We preferred to blow the same amount on a useless alternative who couldn't score in a brothel for months on end. So the cash wasn't an issue, we just didn't want to pay it.

Of course he wanted to play for his national side. I don't see the issue with it tbh, most players want to, especially in a world cup year. I'm not going to defend what he described the mancs as on tv. It should never have happened, and wouldn't have if we did what any club would do when a proven 20+ goal a season striker wants to come home and play for them. We crave such players nowadays, yet even today we argue the toss over transfer fees, while rivals just get the business done.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #352: May 31, 2017 11:18:01 pm
      So he told the club he was going to run down his contract and leave on a free and the club said " Ok Steve " ?  Don't think so.

Mcmanaman was very astute as he used the Bosman ruling to his full advantage and we had no one at L.F.C. astute enough to pick this up till it was too late.Owen was a different story as you know only too well by the number of posts that say that he told the Anfield Faithfull that he would renew his contract knowing full that he had no intention of doing so.I don't think you know as much about the Mcmanaman/Owen situations as you profess to,you could look back at some old Echo's and I am sure you will find the truth there.
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017 04:17:52 am by Billy1 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #353: Jun 01, 2017 12:29:12 am
      Mcmanaman was very astute as he used the Bosman ruling to his full advantage and we had no one at L.F.C. astute enough to pick this up till it was too late.Owen was a different story as you know only too well by the number of posts that say that he told the Anfield Faithfull that he would renew his contract knowing full that he had no intention of doing so.I don't think you know as much about the Mcmanaman/Owen situations as you profess to,you could look back at some old Echoes and I am sure you will find the truth there.

And Steve went to Spain knowing full well of his place within the Madrid squad. Owen went to sit on the bench behind Ronaldo and a misfiring Raul. Perhaps the biggest regret over Owen leaving and the thing I can't swallow is that he didn't even give Rafa a chance. Gerrard could have left to go to Chelsea in 2004 (and 2005) but he stayed put and rightly put his trust in Rafa. So there is some poetic justice that after Owen left they went on and won the Champions League.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #354: Jun 01, 2017 02:23:38 am
      And Steve went to Spain knowing full well of his place within the Madrid squad. Owen went to sit on the bench behind Ronaldo and a misfiring Raul. Perhaps the biggest regret over Owen leaving and the thing I can't swallow is that he didn't even give Rafa a chance. Gerrard could have left to go to Chelsea in 2004 (and 2005) but he stayed put and rightly put his trust in Rafa. So there is some poetic justice that after Owen left they went on and won the Champions League.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments. He joined United, that doesn't bother me, we had plenty of chances to re-sign him, we didn't for a reason. He was always injured so signing him back would have been stupid. For me, not giving Rafa a chance and making up his mind that that would be his go to reason for leaving us for Real Madrid, knowing he was worth a small fortune and screwing the club financially also so his own needs were met, this is where my gripe with him is.

He was great for us, in fact he was bloody brilliant, however his was not a fairytale ending. I don't care to be honest about this ambassador role, its a defunct role for me, today Michael Owen, tomorrow, Istvan Kozma, who the feck cares?

For me Margaret Aspinall, Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes. These represent Liverpool. And they are all humble beings who are adored. And guess what? nobody told us to adore them!
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #355: Jun 01, 2017 08:59:40 am
      You are defending  your views and replying to an absolute nobhead with too much time on his hands.
      The only time you actually sound human Stu is when you're insulting people . Then it's back to C-3PO mode.
      Too much time on my hands ? This coming from you on 32'000 posts . But then you require no sleep don't you ?

I bet you're dreaming of the day they install Holo-emitters in Anfield so you can finally go the game .
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017 09:10:16 am by littleface »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #356: Jun 01, 2017 09:07:40 am
      Mcmanaman was very astute as he used the Bosman ruling to his full advantage and we had no one at L.F.C. astute enough to pick this up till it was too late.Owen was a different story as you know only too well by the number of posts that say that he told the Anfield Faithfull that he would renew his contract knowing full that he had no intention of doing so.I don't think you know as much about the Mcmanaman/Owen situations as you profess to,you could look back at some old Echo's and I am sure you will find the truth there.
      Oh i see , Mcmanaman was astute but Owen was a c**t for doing exactly the same things. They both ended up in Madrid but we only actually got a fee for one of tnem . And he's the c**t ?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #357: Jun 01, 2017 09:30:18 am
      Oh i see , Mcmanaman was astute but Owen was a c**t for doing exactly the same things. They both ended up in Madrid but we only actually got a fee for one of tnem . And he's the c**t ?

Now you are talking sense,you are actually seeing the truth.I take it you managed to read copies of the Echo-Well done.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #358: Jun 01, 2017 09:59:07 am
      Yeah, pretty much my sentiments. He joined United, that doesn't bother me, we had plenty of chances to re-sign him, we didn't for a reason. He was always injured so signing him back would have been stupid. For me, not giving Rafa a chance and making up his mind that that would be his go to reason for leaving us for Real Madrid, knowing he was worth a small fortune and screwing the club financially also so his own needs were met, this is where my gripe with him is.

He was great for us, in fact he was bloody brilliant, however his was not a fairytale ending. I don't care to be honest about this ambassador role, its a defunct role for me, today Michael Owen, tomorrow, Istvan Kozma, who the feck cares?

For me Margaret Aspinall, Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes. These represent Liverpool. And they are all humble beings who are adored. And guess what? nobody told us to adore them!

Couldn't have put it better.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #359: Jun 01, 2017 03:44:34 pm
      The only time you actually sound human Stu is when you're insulting people . Then it's back to C-3PO mode.
      Too much time on my hands ? This coming from you on 32'000 posts . But then you require no sleep don't you ?

I bet you're dreaming of the day they install Holo-emitters in Anfield so you can finally go the game .

Innuendo and bollocks as per.
      Have a word with yourself for fucks sake.
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017 05:50:55 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #360: Jun 01, 2017 06:44:45 pm
      That screw up was down to Mc Manaman doing the business on us ....and .....Rick Parry being so f**king naive as a "businessman".

Didn't get much better if is to be believed that he passed on Cristiano Ronaldo! The clown that he was!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #361: Sep 06, 2019 11:41:13 am
      Who's off out to buy his new book?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #362: Sep 06, 2019 01:36:45 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #363: Sep 06, 2019 01:50:58 pm

All stocked up on bog roll
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #364: Sep 06, 2019 02:46:10 pm

Well, I have been battling a horrific bout of insomnia for nearly a year.

It could be worth a try.

If I see it in a charity shop.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019 03:32:40 pm by Roddenberry »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #365: Sep 06, 2019 03:29:31 pm

Depends, is it as good as his brochure from a few years back?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #366: Sep 06, 2019 03:48:11 pm
      Seen a few bits of it written online and to be honest, he’s probably bang on with a lot of what he says...first for everything I guess. Slates Newcastle and how he never wanted to go there and that players only sign for the money and no other reason. Said we wanted rid of Gerrard sooner which again I can believe because of the way we so unceremoniously binned off Kuyt, Reina, Maxi and everyone else around that age and the way Rodgers wasn’t playing him for the big games.
      Goes in on Shearer and Capello, who to be fair are a pair of tossers.

This book is probably the only worthwhile thing he’s done since playing for us because the fall out from it all is quite amusing. Especially between him, Shearer and Linekar the other day on Twitter.

Sod buying it though.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #367: Sep 06, 2019 03:52:04 pm
      To be honest these days when people talk about Michael i just try to think of that wonderful beautiful sunny afternoon in cardiff in 2001 v arsenal

Quick Reply