Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 49938 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #368: Sep 06, 2019 04:15:22 pm
      Well, I have been battling a horrific bout of insomnia for nearly a year.

It could be worth a try.

If I see it in a charity shop.

That means, some one will have to buy it first..... and not bin it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #369: Sep 06, 2019 04:35:18 pm
      That means, some one will have to buy it first..... and not bin it.

It's like some kind of unwritten rule, only the dullest of dull autobiographies make their way to my local Oxfam or St Peter's Hospice charity shops.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #370: Sep 06, 2019 05:12:08 pm
      Just to be clear, I haven't really got anything against Owen, I just don't give a sh*t about him.

I remember the interview he gave about how he left, and how he wanted to come back etc, but he made his decision so F**k him.

He seems like a decent enough bloke, but so is the fella down the road, and I wouldn't read his autobiography either.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #371: Sep 06, 2019 09:08:27 pm
      Seen a few bits of it written online and to be honest, he’s probably bang on with a lot of what he says...first for everything I guess. Slates Newcastle and how he never wanted to go there and that players only sign for the money and no other reason. Said we wanted rid of Gerrard sooner which again I can believe because of the way we so unceremoniously binned off Kuyt, Reina, Maxi and everyone else around that age and the way Rodgers wasn’t playing him for the big games.
      Goes in on Shearer and Capello, who to be fair are a pair of tossers.

This book is probably the only worthwhile thing he’s done since playing for us because the fall out from it all is quite amusing. Especially between him, Shearer and Linekar the other day on Twitter.

Sod buying it though.

Agree with all of this. It actually breaks my heart if the Gerrard stuff was true - why can’t we treat our legends like the way the italian clubs do. Gerrard could have been part of this squad in some capacity right up until now.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #372: Sep 06, 2019 09:11:08 pm
      Nothing against Owen, as for buying his book, no thanks !
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #373: Sep 06, 2019 09:15:40 pm
      To be honest these days when people talk about Michael i just try to think of that wonderful beautiful sunny afternoon in cardiff in 2001 v arsenal

First thing I thought when I saw his name back in the media again :D

I was very young when he broke through but I don’t think any youngster has ever gone on to make such an impact and then sustain it for as long as Owen did. All went to pot when he left us and that knee injury in the World Cup was him basically done as a top level player in his mid 20’s.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #374: Sep 07, 2019 12:39:21 am
      Nah no time for him could have been a legend of Gerrard status chose otherwise. Blaming and slating everyone and everything now typical Michael.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #375: Sep 07, 2019 02:11:58 am
      The man is a c**t sh*t on us last minuet and expects to come back at an inflated price. Arsehole
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #376: Sep 07, 2019 09:06:03 am
      It should be remembered that Owen cost this club a lot of money when he started running his contract down.Thus enabling him to sign for Real Madrid for a paltry 8 million quid.I admired Micky Owen prior to that but he lost any respect i had for him when he signed for R.M.and the Newcastle fiasco that followed.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #377: Sep 07, 2019 01:06:32 pm
      I despise all of these PR stunts, now conducted on Twitter, e.g. this Alan Shearer and Michael Owen spat. 

Would not surprise me to hear that Alan Shearer has got a book coming out soon with 'his side'.  Tedious beyond belief.

Owen managed to conduct himself throughout his career, at some big clubs, in such a way that I don't think any of them consider him a legend.  The fact he said that he didn't enjoy his last 6 or 7 years isn't a surprise.  Always struck me as in it to accumulate as much dollar as possible.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #378: Sep 07, 2019 03:35:01 pm
      I loved and adored Owen, I'm the generation that enjoyed his years with us and I was very young and idolised him. When he left, obviously I was sad but got angry for him to go to Manure.

Some sins are never forgiven!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #379: Sep 07, 2019 06:52:20 pm
      He was a mercenary and, when doing coverage, comes across as not enjoying the game.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #380: Sep 07, 2019 08:22:04 pm
      He was a mercenary and, when doing coverage, comes across as not enjoying the game.

Think his comments about Newcastle in the book demonstrate as much.

Basically did not give a sh*t about them or want to be there and seems to have an issue about the fact that they didn’t idolize him.

Didn’t know how good he had it at Liverpool.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #381: Sep 07, 2019 10:00:55 pm
      It should be remembered that Owen cost this club a lot of money when he started running his contract down.Thus enabling him to sign for Real Madrid for a paltry 8 million quid.I admired Micky Owen prior to that but he lost any respect i had for him when he signed for R.M.and the Newcastle fiasco that followed.

So Did Macca, and he his still part of us, like Owen I will never forgive him for his self indulgence.
      Maybe its the influance of the parasites we know as agents, who turn thier heads
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #382: Sep 08, 2019 08:45:42 am
      So Did Macca, and he his still part of us, like Owen I will never forgive him for his self indulgence.
      Maybe its the influance of the parasites we know as agents, who turn thier heads

Macca was one of the first to jump on the Bosman wagon so I agree totally with you.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #383: Sep 08, 2019 01:15:00 pm
      No disagreement about Owen or Macca. I would just add that when you get down to brass tacks, very few of these players really care about the rest of us. Even the average ones are drawing a wage and living a life most of us could only dream of. They may give a clap or kiss the badge at the right times , and say the right things about having the greatest supporters, but I think we tend to think more about what they think of us than they actually do.

I'm happy with players who give their all for the cause of winning trophies, and stay out of embarrassing situations. In the case of someone who ends up being extra thoughtful to the community  (Andy Robertson comes to mind), that's a great bonus, but I don't expect it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #384: Sep 08, 2019 03:46:57 pm
      Agree with all of this. It actually breaks my heart if the Gerrard stuff was true - why can’t we treat our legends like the way the italian clubs do. Gerrard could have been part of this squad in some capacity right up until now.

Because sentimentality was never what we were about. Our most successful manager Bob Paisley even coined a phrase "let them get old on someone else's pitch"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #385: Sep 08, 2019 03:49:13 pm

Have no issue with what Macca did, the club fu**ed him over first, when they tried to hawk him out to Barca, only for him to sit in some villa while Barca signed Rivaldo.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #386: Sep 08, 2019 03:51:38 pm
      The fact Owen played for 4 pretty biggish clubs with massive followings and no one gives a F**k about him speaks volumes.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #387: Sep 08, 2019 07:50:17 pm
      The fact Owen played for 4 pretty biggish clubs with massive followings and no one gives a f**k about him speaks volumes.

Agreed,
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #388: Sep 08, 2019 07:54:34 pm
      Have no issue with what Macca did, the club fu**ed him over first, when they tried to hawk him out to Barca, only for him to sit in some villa while Barca signed Rivaldo.

Didn't macca deny the real deal only for to be announced days later
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #389: Sep 08, 2019 10:35:29 pm
      He rinse the Club he was on in excess of 100k.  He was one of the best paid players world football or at least in the league.  He went a fraction of his worth.  8m he was at least 4 times that.  I think if we didn't have Rafa in charge at the time we would have been in a lot of trouble.  But Rafa started to build the squad starting from Alonso his first real major signing for 10m. 

Macca was one of the first players to go on bosman, and he was offered a massive contract 50/60k it was huge at the time.  He struggled changing leagues but stuck to it and played a part in winning major trophies. I didn't like what Macca did too but it wasn't for me as bad as Owen.

Owen didn''t get much of a pay rise he thought he was going up a level as if we were holding him back.  He couldn't compete with probably Real 2nd most successful forward of all time at the time RAUL. He didn't have the appetite and stay and fight for his place.  Bollocks players can't be sold without their consent.  He wanted out at the first opportunity.   At the end of the day my reading was he wanted to go up a level and use his contract to engineer a move.  At the  end his best years as a footballer stand out and they were here.  If he would have stayed don't know what he could have achieved and he knows it.   Wouldn't spend a penny on the book.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #390: Sep 08, 2019 11:07:33 pm
      Because sentimentality was never what we were about. Our most successful manager Bob Paisley even coined a phrase "let them get old on someone else's pitch"

That was a thing the GREAT BOB PAISLEY never did, get old at another club.He had every right to walk away from this club in 1950 after scoring in the semi final of the F.A.Cup against Everton in the semi final  and being dropped for the final.(no subs in those days).I saw Bob play many times and I cant ever recall him letting his head drop in a match,top player,top man and top manager.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2019 08:31:13 am by Billy1 »

Quick Reply