Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 49943 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #391: Sep 09, 2019 07:10:43 am
      IMHO Owen is a legend. He was unplayable for us, a game changer, he deserved to win European player of the year in 2001.
      The way he left wasn't the best, but thats life. We moved on with better strikers.
      He played for TWO WHOLE DIFFERENT TEAMS before playing for Man U and literally just sat on their bench cause his career was pretty much done at that point. He apparently really wanted to join us again b4 he went to Newcastle.
      I don't see how ppl are mad about that when we've literally also had ex United players and their fans DGAF.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2019 05:50:42 pm by PastorGeek »
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #392: Sep 09, 2019 09:52:52 am
      Was he being honest or exaggerating events to sell more books and also increase demand for services on the punditry circuit. Should it really matter that much what these people are like off the pitch.Most of the footie related autobiographies I've read don't delve that much into relationships with other players.

I'm not bothered about the personel stuff, it's what they do once they cross the white line that matters to me.Anyone who thinks Owen or Gerrard or whoever are Mr.Wonderful off the pitch just because they are "one of us" are naive.

Owen isn't a baddie nor is he an angel. They know, as in fact we do,that if they play great we love them,if they're crap we slate them.He looked after No 1. I have no problem with that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #393: Sep 09, 2019 12:07:07 pm
      IMHO Owen is a legend. He was unplayable for us, a game changer, he deserved to win European player of the year in 2001. The way he left wasn't the best, but thats life. We moved on with better strikers.
      He played to TWO WHOLE DIFFERENT TEAMS before playing for Man U and literally just sat on their bench cause his career was pretty much done at that point. He apparently really wanted to join us again b4 he went to Newcastle.
      I don't see how ppl are mad about that when we've literally also had ex United players and their fans DGAF.

F**k Michael Owen!
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #394: Sep 09, 2019 01:13:48 pm

Yup, little sh*t. No idea how good he had it. F**k him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #395: Sep 09, 2019 05:32:10 pm
      IMHO Owen is a legend. He was unplayable for us, a game changer, he deserved to win European player of the year in 2001. The way he left wasn't the best, but thats life. We moved on with better strikers.
      He played to TWO WHOLE DIFFERENT TEAMS before playing for Man U and literally just sat on their bench cause his career was pretty much done at that point. He apparently really wanted to join us again b4 he went to Newcastle.

It's how he left that grates. Acting like a F***ing rat saying he was gonna sign a new contract, yet every time Parry tried to sort a meeting to sort the contract, Owen would say he couldn't do anything yet as his agent was on sabbatical. He was basically running his contract down.

The thing that really pisses me off is he wanted off, while someone like Fowler who was binned off to Leeds never wanted to leave.

The bluenose supporting welsh c**t will never be a legend here.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #396: Sep 09, 2019 05:43:49 pm
      It's how he left that grates. Acting like a f**king rat saying he was gonna sign a new contract, yet every time Parry tried to sort a meeting to sort the contract, Owen would say he couldn't do anything yet as his agent was on sabbatical. He was basically running his contract down.

The thing that really pisses me off is he wanted off, while someone like Fowler who was binned off to Leeds never wanted to leave.

The bluenose supporting welsh c**t will never be a legend here.

Speaking of being a bluenose, think in his book he states that before going to the mancs he was in discussions about joining the bitters.

All this discussion about wanting to get back to Liverpool, he only wanted back because we were suddenly a top team again. If any other top club was in for him after Madrid he would have gone there instead.

Was always about what was best for Owen, the rest is just noise to try identify with a fan base that have long moved beyond that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #397: Sep 09, 2019 05:56:09 pm
      Speaking of being a bluenose, think in his book he states that before going to the mancs he was in discussions about joining the bitters.

All this discussion about wanting to get back to Liverpool, he only wanted back because we were suddenly a top team again. If any other top club was in for him after Madrid he would have gone there instead.

Was always about what was best for Owen, the rest is just noise to try identify with a fan base that have long moved beyond that.

wow its almost as if no ex liverpool players have played for everton or vice versa
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #398: Sep 09, 2019 05:57:10 pm

He only wanted back as his England place was under threat
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #399: Sep 09, 2019 06:41:07 pm
      wow its almost as if no ex liverpool players have played for everton or vice versa

Wow you’re incapable of seeing people who have opposing views to your own without getting upset over it. How do you function in the adult world?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #400: Sep 09, 2019 07:28:32 pm
      He only wanted back as his England place was under threat

Yup, only cared about England, and even said that playing for Liverpool was just a ''job''

I idolised him since 1998, he was also the major reason why I supported Liverpool.

Then comes 2004 and decides to f*ck off. broke my 17 year old heart that day.

IMHO Owen is a legend. He was unplayable for us, a game changer, he deserved to win European player of the year in 2001.
      The way he left wasn't the best, but thats life. We moved on with better strikers.
      He played for TWO WHOLE DIFFERENT TEAMS before playing for Man U and literally just sat on their bench cause his career was pretty much done at that point. He apparently really wanted to join us again b4 he went to Newcastle.

Legend???!?!?!?! Sure, he was a great player, just like Torres and Suarez. But those 3 are far from legends.

They didn't think twice when they were linked away from the club and left.

Legend my @rse.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #401: Sep 09, 2019 08:52:56 pm
      Wow you’re incapable of seeing people who have opposing views to your own without getting upset over it. How do you function in the adult world?

Its clear im the least upset person in this thread ;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #402: Sep 09, 2019 11:41:09 pm
      The cu*ts at it again claiming United aren’t that far of from us. Just shut the F**k up sick of seeing his opinions plastered over every newspaper.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #403: Sep 10, 2019 09:00:05 am
      The cu*ts at it again claiming United aren’t that far of from us. Just shut the f**k up sick of seeing his opinions plastered over every newspaper.

Got a book to sell mate, still can’t figure how Owen became club ambassador as there are better candidates for the role..
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #404: Sep 10, 2019 10:12:25 am
      Probably going to get mauled on here for having this as a first post but in the grand scheme of things I actually don't mind Owen. Obviously hated him as much as the next red when he binned us off to go to Madrid or when he joined United but one thing I'll give him since his retirement is at least he's been honest about the situation. He's came out and acknowledged that leaving in the first place was a mistake and that he did try on a few occasions to force a move back to us.

A lot of people have let the water flow under the bridge for the likes of Torres (leaving to join a direct rival at the time felt a bigger blow than when Owen moved abroad) and Suarez (embarrassing the club twice to try and force a move, as well dragging Kenny's name through the dirt with the racism fiasco), not to mention Owen contributed much more than the pair of them during his time at Liverpool. As good as they both were, they have one Carling Cup between the pair of them, whereas Owen was top class for a good 5 or 6 years and basically won an FA cup on his own, as well as being the standout performer in our treble season.

Obviously he doesn't deserve to be among the all time greats but I think he should be cut a bit more slack seeing as plenty of other players seem to have been given the benefit of the doubt
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #405: Sep 10, 2019 10:27:53 am

He did a lot more good for the club than bad, you ought to try and remember the good times he did for Liverpool than the limited ( allegedly) bad things. It's not as if he went straight from Liverpool to United, we got his swan song years whereas you lads saw the best of him and gave you his best years. Awesome player at Liverpool. Owen will be remember by United fans for winning the Derby in the last min at Old Trafford....

Could of been worse!! If it was at Anfield  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #406: Sep 10, 2019 10:34:47 am
      Its clear im the least upset person in this thread ;D

Me too  ;D

I remember when Ince joined you lot, much at the time as a fan you quite rightly get pissed off I will always remember the good times playing at the club.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #407: Sep 10, 2019 10:58:14 am
      He did a lot more good for the club than bad, you ought to try and remember the good times he did for Liverpool than the limited ( allegedly) bad things. It's not as if he went straight from Liverpool to United, we got his swan song years whereas you lads saw the best of him and gave you his best years. Awesome player at Liverpool. Owen will be remember by United fans for winning the Derby in the last min at Old Trafford....

Could of been worse!! If it was at Anfield  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D

I dont get worked up about it or anything, in the end it was his own career that went down the shi**er, him going to United didnt really bother me either, I was done with him long before then and was pleased we didnt try and sign him as we had moved on .

No I dont mind that, but when I see him on BT I cant particularly stand him either. Boring, whiny f**ker and this latest attempt to earn money off the back of mildly interesting, petty squabbles with bigger name players than him, it doesn't sit well with me. He doesn't need the money exactly does he?

I Dont hate the guy, sometimes I'll back one of his horses at Chester even 
      ;D but other than that, F**k him!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #408: Sep 10, 2019 11:55:12 am
      Got a book to sell mate, still can’t figure how Owen became club ambassador as there are better candidates for the role..

I think there are a few of them.

Appeal to different demgraphics would be my guess.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #409: Sep 10, 2019 12:35:55 pm

Yea ambassador thing gets me too mate.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #410: Sep 10, 2019 04:43:16 pm
      Yea ambassador thing gets me too mate.

Has all that bollocks come to an end now? That seemed to be a decision of an era under FSG where everything they did they put their foots in it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #411: Sep 10, 2019 09:31:44 pm
      I dont get worked up about it or anything, in the end it was his own career that went down the shi**er, him going to United didnt really bother me either, I was done with him long before then and was pleased we didnt try and sign him as we had moved on .

No I dont mind that, but when I see him on BT I cant particularly stand him either. Boring, whiny f**ker and this latest attempt to earn money off the back of mildly interesting, petty squabbles with bigger name players than him, it doesn't sit well with me. He doesn't need the money exactly does he?

I Dont hate the guy, sometimes I'll back one of his horses at Chester even 
      ;D but other than that, f**k him!

Not so sure about his money  ;D I know from the passed he owed many United players approaching 6 figures. One player alone he owed £60k.  He was (( don't know if he still is )) a bad gambler. Him and Fergie became good mates because of their connection with horses.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #412: Sep 10, 2019 09:59:58 pm
      I'm in the minority because I just don't feel the hate towards Michael.

That may be in part down to the fact that I look back at Owen's career at see a tinge of tragedy to it. He'd done so much for this club and for himself by his early 20s and still much was promised but after he left us that was kind of it. His career was more or less defined, set and done at the age of 24.

But also and perhaps most importantly he did the job for us...and some. He won us a superb haul of trophies! F***ing hell - some of those goals he scored were RAPID! With him on the field, even crocked, you always felt that you could win the match. He was world class. He was all about speed to many but focusing on that betrayed the guy's intelligence on the football field, the fact that he could find those pockets in and around the penalty box always made defenders work doubly hard.

And he contributed FAR more in a red shirt than Torres or Suarez ever did and yet those two seem to get it less from us supporters. Let's just remember, the former transferred DIRECTLY to Chelsea at the last moment leaving us up sh*t creek without a paddle and forcing us into panic buying Carroll at an inflated price (and that went well). The latter...well do I need to say anything about Suarez's shenanigans on and off the field?

Can I blame him for going to Madrid? Given how poor we were during Houllier's last couple of seasons, probably not. However, as we had a truly exciting new manager in Rafa Benitez, the fact that Owen didn't give it a chance is a sour point. But I can only guess he had made up his mind long before Houllier got the boot which I suppose was obvious.

And yeah he went to Man Utd but he was more or less finished by that point. A few token appearances for the Mancs is less of an offence to me than Luis Suarez's behaviour against us during the CL quarter finals. If you want to talk about betrayal from an ex player look at Suarez in both those matches where he actively went out to deceive, cheat and injure our players out of a result. Yet in time Michael will probably still bear the greater brunt of force from us Liverpool supporters which is a shame really.

Owen, Torres, Suarez - all three left under a cloud. But at the end of the day only one of those actually added substance to the Liverpool FC history book. And for that, I am eternally grateful to Michael Owen. It's up to you to decide whether he was a legend in the red shirt. For me, he was.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2019 10:05:17 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #413: Sep 11, 2019 11:51:21 am
      I'm in the minority because I just don't feel the hate towards Michael.

That may be in part down to the fact that I look back at Owen's career at see a tinge of tragedy to it. He'd done so much for this club and for himself by his early 20s and still much was promised but after he left us that was kind of it. His career was more or less defined, set and done at the age of 24.

But also and perhaps most importantly he did the job for us...and some. He won us a superb haul of trophies! F***ing hell - some of those goals he scored were RAPID! With him on the field, even crocked, you always felt that you could win the match. He was world class. He was all about speed to many but focusing on that betrayed the guy's intelligence on the football field, the fact that he could find those pockets in and around the penalty box always made defenders work doubly hard.

And he contributed FAR more in a red shirt than Torres or Suarez ever did and yet those two seem to get it less from us supporters. Let's just remember, the former transferred DIRECTLY to Chelsea at the last moment leaving us up sh*t creek without a paddle and forcing us into panic buying Carroll at an inflated price (and that went well). The latter...well do I need to say anything about Suarez's shenanigans on and off the field?

Can I blame him for going to Madrid? Given how poor we were during Houllier's last couple of seasons, probably not. However, as we had a truly exciting new manager in Rafa Benitez, the fact that Owen didn't give it a chance is a sour point. But I can only guess he had made up his mind long before Houllier got the boot which I suppose was obvious.

And yeah he went to Man Utd but he was more or less finished by that point. A few token appearances for the Mancs is less of an offence to me than Luis Suarez's behaviour against us during the CL quarter finals. If you want to talk about betrayal from an ex player look at Suarez in both those matches where he actively went out to deceive, cheat and injure our players out of a result. Yet in time Michael will probably still bear the greater brunt of force from us Liverpool supporters which is a shame really.

Owen, Torres, Suarez - all three left under a cloud. But at the end of the day only one of those actually added substance to the Liverpool FC history book. And for that, I am eternally grateful to Michael Owen. It's up to you to decide whether he was a legend in the red shirt. For me, he was.

Always had you down as one of the best posters on here, why? your truely a gentleman who shows good balance insight without being a bitter red (( unlike a few on here )) Your never offensive and come over well educated with views on many subjects (( especially F1 )) that i can openly read and never find any malice in your postings.

The fact that Owen went to other clubs before United shouldn't really upset fans applecart. Playing for Liverpool was his ultimate goal and was world class whilst playing for Liverpool. Why so many choose to hate who many fans class as a legend astounds me. Remember he wanted to go back too Liverpool but apparently wasn't wanted by them. Give the lad some slack. He was more a lengend than Torres or that tw*t suarez.

Quick Reply