Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC

Read 49915 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Michael Owen appointed International ambassador for Liverpool FC
      Reply #414: Sep 11, 2019 01:51:00 pm
      Maybe I'm mellowing in my middle aged years but I'm kinda over him wearing that rugby league Manc shirt, or him wheeling away celebrating a goal for that sh*te, although it still pains me to see it, I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as it once did,
      They say you should forgive & forget but i find that hard to do regarding little Mickey O, perhaps the forgiveness part is easier to swallow but definitely not for forgiveness,

I too am forever grateful for what he did wearing our red, and i suppose some will say he has legendary status, that's of their opinion but not one I can agree on, I don't hate the fella and wish him no harm, and I'm sure his role as international embassador for LFC he'll carry with distinction, 
      I do agree however there are/ were other more appropriate candidates other than a player who let's say tarnished his relationship with those who once adored him.

YNWA
      cragglew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #415: Sep 12, 2019 11:09:28 am
      Just not too fussed about him anymore. He committed a big sin tbh. He was brilliant for us of course. I have just got loads of former players that i would put a lot higher than him.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #416: Sep 12, 2019 10:49:09 pm
      Iā€™ve never really felt the hate that should me have for him. It hurt when he wire that United shirt but he was so far past his best and because he went there a few years after leaving us it was never quite so raw as when Torreswent to Chelsea. I was in the away end at Stanford Bridge for Torres first game for them (still canā€™t believe it was was against us!) and feeling of betrayal and anger that day was incredible. Before the Barca game (I think) Fowler said in the studio (as they analysed Suarez antics) that it irked him that Suarez gets adulation from LFC fans despite all his baggage and yet Owen doesnā€™t anything like the respect he deserves. That kinda reduced bated with me a little bit.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #417: Sep 12, 2019 11:09:08 pm
      I view Owen as a tragic guy who made the wrong decision, and thought, like most of us would, that the grass would be greener and more advantageous to his career, in Spain, but came to find that the grass wasn't under his feet for a long enough spell. If he had stayed at Anfield he could have and would have been one of our greatest  players. I was there when he scored those two magnificent goals against Arsenal at Cardiff, and brought us yet another trophy. The guy made a mistake, so let's not decry yet another  a magnificent goalscorer for our team. Unfortunately his recent outpouring of bile against the Reds hasn't helped his case, but he will always, in my mind be one of the great Liverpool strikers. After Newcastle he was available for us to sign but had burnt his boats and wasn't welcomed back, so went to the only team who would have him, that cr*p side down the East Lancs.

However having said that, he is a s**te commentator.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #418: Sep 12, 2019 11:33:48 pm
      Owen had no loyalty to any club in his career, Owen played for Owen and that's it. Lot's of players are like it and it works out well for them, others it doesn't. If he stayed with us he'd probably have become our record goal scorer and England's too, but instead his career was virtually finished by the time he was 26/27.

Having seen the stuff he's written, it's clear that he never set out to piss off any set of fans, he just done what suited him at the time. Apart from Newcastle, he just generally didn't give a toss about them. If you have no loyalty to a team then when given the chance to go to a team like United after a sh*t time at a team like Newcastle, who wouldn't jump at that chance. Not many players have the loyalty of Gerrard and Carragher.

The thing that bothers me most isn't his move to United, but the fact he thought he could dictate his future at Liverpool Football Club, he thought he had the given right to be able to leave and then return when it again suited him. It doesn't work like that, not with us. If you want out from us then it will be the club that decides if you return, not the player.

Could have become a legend and one of the greats with us, been in the Gerrard categoery, as it turns out he's just a player who thought he could have the club on puppet strings and paid the price. Played his part in our history but will forever be remembered for everything that followed.

Now has to live with the fact he knows he messed his career up with poor decisions and having the memory of us winning the CL the year he left...I notice he commented on that in his book, how he is jealous about it.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019 11:40:41 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #419: Sep 13, 2019 08:17:48 pm
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #420: Sep 14, 2019 11:36:40 am
      Send to the c**t to a remote island somewhere and let him be an ambassador there! I hold nothing against him for joining those fuckers because nobody else wanted him but more for his behaviour since playing for them. He's been all "United this, United that", "when I was at United blah blah blah", being the most arrogant pr**k ever and then constantly putting this club down. He doesn't deserve to cut the grass at the training ground nevermind be a f**king ambassador!

Somebody has fu**ed up here.

Edit: One thing I'll always love is how we won the Champions League in the first season he decided to f**k off to Madrid on the cheap!

You seem to forget we finished over 30 points off the top in his last season.

Without his goals we would have finished in the bottom half and number 5 would never have happened.

We were rubbish and without his goals we were worse than rubbish.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #421: Sep 14, 2019 11:38:49 am
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #422: Sep 14, 2019 11:44:48 am
      Some people just need to grow up.

He was great while he was here .... carried us on his back. Always set the right example to the younger ones and carried himself the right way.

People also forget rafa wanted him sold as he knew he had cisse already signed and he wanted money for alonso and garcia ... which were great deals for us.

We moved on ... he moved on. End of story. What happened after he left us is of no interest to me. Same with Torres.

Now as for the thug and snake that is suarez ...the man who brought disgrace on the club ... set a bad example, took the pi*s out of the king and made him look stupid, went on strike to force a move to arsenal .... its funny how people call him a legend ... only diouf brought more shame on the club ... but maybe that is debatable. Horrible c*nt.

Owen left a sinking ship ... outdated, 30 points off the top and going nowhere ... to go and play with the galacticos. He never made is back here and im glad he didnt .... id rather hold the memories from 97-04.

Ive let go of everything else. Life is too short.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #423: Sep 16, 2019 12:46:50 am
      His heart was always at Liverpool  :)

His heart was always at the bank.

He pissed Rafa about for two weeks as soon as Rafa became manager.... and decided he would go . The door opened one way Mr O.
      Wasn't it satisfying to win the CL without him/

Karma is a bi*ch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #424: Sep 17, 2019 06:12:45 pm
      His heart was always at the bank.

He pissed Rafa about for two weeks as soon as Rafa became manager.... and decided he would go . The door opened one way Mr O.
      Wasn't it satisfying to win the CL without him/

Karma is a bi*ch.

Rafa asked him straight out in his office did he want to leave and Owen couldn't even give a straight answer. Says it all.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #425: Sep 17, 2019 09:00:54 pm
      Rafa asked him straight out in his office did he want to leave and Owen couldn't even give a straight answer. Says it all.

To me when I read that, it seemed as if Owen was trying to pass the buck, as if he was making out that Rafa was trying to make him say he wanted to leave so he had an excuse for leaving...ā€the manager didnā€™t want meā€ type thing.

From what I remember of that summer, Owen and Cisse were looking good together and looked like they would make a good pairing in attack, two clinical players with pace to burn. That on top of getting a manager who had toppled Real Madrid, I did think he was actually going to stay and sign a new contract.

But then when he didnā€™t come off the bench in the the Champions League, was clear he was off. Should have put him on and cup tied him, we got sod all for him anyway.
      Is surprising we could bring him back for the Ā£8mill we sold him for though until Newcastle came and changed that. That wouldnā€™t happen nowadays!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #426: Sep 17, 2019 09:36:04 pm
      Some people just need to grow up.

He was great while he was here .... carried us on his back. Always set the right example to the younger ones and carried himself the right way.

People also forget rafa wanted him sold as he knew he had cisse already signed and he wanted money for alonso and garcia ... which were great deals for us.

We moved on ... he moved on. End of story. What happened after he left us is of no interest to me. Same with Torres.

Now as for the thug and snake that is suarez ...the man who brought disgrace on the club ... set a bad example, took the pi*s out of the king and made him look stupid, went on strike to force a move to arsenal .... its funny how people call him a legend ... only diouf brought more shame on the club ... but maybe that is debatable. Horrible c*nt.

Owen left a sinking ship ... outdated, 30 points off the top and going nowhere ... to go and play with the galacticos. He never made is back here and im glad he didnt .... id rather hold the memories from 97-04.

Ive let go of everything else. Life is too short.

Agreed.

Far, far worse things going on in the world to be annoyed at a footballer wanting to play football at a different club.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #427: Sep 17, 2019 09:58:42 pm

Exactimundo .
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #428: Sep 18, 2019 07:14:24 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Can I blame him for going to Madrid? Given how poor we were during Houllier's last couple of seasons, probably not. However, as we had a truly exciting new manager in Rafa Benitez, the fact that Owen didn't give it a chance is a sour point. But I can only guess he had made up his mind long before Houllier got the boot which I suppose was obvious.

A few token appearances for the Mancs is less of an offence to me than Luis Suarez's behaviour against us during the CL quarter finals. If you want to talk about betrayal from an ex player look at Suarez in both those matches where he actively went out to deceive, cheat and injure our players out of a result. 

In the quarter finals, he set out to kick the mancs out of Europe. It worked.

In the semi finals, he set out to put them in the final by any means. That is what you expect players to do. We cheered him for trying to win for us for years. I still remember him distraught on the pitch, after we lost to St. Petersburg on away goals, even though we were 3 goals down at one point. All his goals during his time here, are still shown on LFCTV on a regular basis.

Gerrard is a club legend, but even he considered moving in the mid-noughties when the team was drifting aimlessly 30-37 points down the field. When he decided to leave, we were drifting around in mid-table. But we draw a line under that, and remember all the great times he gave us instead. He scored 186 goals, it takes 3 hours for LFCTV to show them all.

Owen's are not. He gave us some great days and nights. He left for one or the greatest clubs in the world and it didn't work out. It happens. Macca did the same before going to City. Owen spent the rest of his career looking to return, but as he couldn't, like Macca, he had to go somewhere else. It's not like Kenny who got Rushie back here from Juventus  asap.

Most people consider changing their job at some point. Many have the change made for them. He did that, he made a mistake and it didn't work out. He played a few token games for the mancs when he barely made any impact. None of us are happy he went there, but it's a mere footnote at the end of his career. Most people remember him for what he did for us, than anyone else.

Quick Reply