Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Sakho fails drug test - Update: Case dropped by UEFA

Read 49076 times
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Re: Sakho fails drug test
      Reply #161: Apr 26, 2016 04:06:31 pm
      I know he's brought it on himself and will get banned, but...

Who thinks he will get the usual treatment handed out to anyone associated with Liverpool and get a rather long ban compared to similar cases?

Probably a lifetime ban init
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #162: Apr 26, 2016 04:19:05 pm
      I know he's brought it on himself and will get banned, but...

Who thinks he will get the usual treatment handed out to anyone associated with Liverpool and get a rather long ban compared to similar cases?

Probably a lifetime ban init

Probably a double lifetime ban including any kids he may have being banned and all.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #163: Apr 26, 2016 05:11:48 pm
      So we should just shut our eyes and let them get on with cheating the easy way ?

As I said before, people have studied and released reports on drug testing in sport. If you truly want the answers, they're available out there.

I'm not the expert in the field, others are and I read their findings and it is shown that increased drug tests don't work. It is far deeper than simply doing tests to tackle the problem of drugs in sport.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #164: Apr 26, 2016 06:24:04 pm
      As I said before, people have studied and released reports on drug testing in sport. If you truly want the answers, they're available out there.

I'm not the expert in the field, others are and I read their findings and it is shown that increased drug tests don't work. It is far deeper than simply doing tests to tackle the problem of drugs in sport.

It probably is mate, but until they come up with a real solution, drugs tests are the only thing we have right now. If nothing else it might help prevent the next "accidental drug" being taken by one of our players, even if the more determined cheats can find ways to avoid testing positive.

Next time we may not be so "lucky". Next time it may be that a group of players took a "harmless" pill or something resulting in not only a ban for the players involved but disqualification from the tournament and possibly a ban from future entry to tournaments.

Not trying to belittle you or your view mate, just giving my opinion.   

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #165: Apr 26, 2016 06:28:31 pm
      B tests results aren't out yet ?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #166: Apr 26, 2016 06:29:50 pm

Takes it tomorrow, I believe.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #167: Apr 26, 2016 06:31:17 pm

Sakho has to decide by the end of today whether he wants the "b" sample to be tested mate or whether he just wants to accept the results of the first test.

The "b" sample was taken at the same time as the first sample mate

Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho will respond to Uefa over failed drug test

Andy Hunter
      Monday 25 April 2016 18.37 BST Last modified on Monday 25 April 2016 21.49 BST

Mamadou Sakho will respond to Uefa’s investigation into his failed drug test on Tuesday when the Liverpool defender has to decide whether to have his B sample analysed.

The France defender may face a lengthy ban for contravening Uefa’s drug rules in a test submitted after the Europa League tie at Manchester United on 17 March. A fat-burning substance is believed to have been discovered in the sample provided by the 26-year-old, who was dropped by the former manager Brendan Rodgers against Stoke City and Bournemouth at the start of the season for being overweight.

Liverpool were informed of Sakho’s failed test on Friday and the player was given a deadline of Tuesday to request that his B sample also be examined.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/25/liverpool-mamadou-sakho-respond-uefa-failed-drug-test
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #168: Apr 26, 2016 06:36:59 pm
      I´d rather he took a cocaine at a party. Not this ephedrine/clenbuterol hard stuff doing intentionaly masking it by poor excuse of "fat burners". It hardly worked 10 years ago as an excuse, so it deffo wont at this age and time. Sakho is guilty as F**k, and even if its just 6 months ban I will hardly find a like for this cheetah.

Not the end of the world anyway as I dont think Klopp actually rates Mama that much. And he will put togheter a great defensive line for the next season, with or without Sakho. He knows his defending, Jürgen alwas does. Lovren Matip Lucas Gomez Ilori and maybe one (experienced) more and we are flying next season. JK was a centreback ffs. He knows best how to set it up for the season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #169: Apr 26, 2016 06:52:11 pm
      It probably is mate, but until they come up with a real solution, drugs tests are the only thing we have right now. If nothing else it might help prevent the next "accidental drug" being taken by one of our players, even if the more determined cheats can find ways to avoid testing positive.

Next time we may not be so "lucky". Next time it may be that a group of players took a "harmless" pill or something resulting in not only a ban for the players involved but disqualification from the tournament and possibly a ban from future entry to tournaments.

Not trying to belittle you or your view mate, just giving my opinion.   

There's no such thing as an accidental drug now though, mate. Mama and another 99.99% of athletes, know that they shouldn't be taking these pills.

Athletes read labels of foods such as cereal, yoghurts etc. to find if theres a protein or sugar etc. they shouldn't be eating. Do you think they would do that and then think, "Hmmm this drug promises to lose weight. I won't check to see what substances are in it, it should be ok"?

Education is given when they're young and that can only guide their judgement but after that. Ultimately it's an athletes choice whether or not to take a substance and unsurprisingly, no matter what a governing body does, human beings will always be tempted to take these substances.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #170: Apr 26, 2016 07:12:09 pm

Sakho has to decide by the end of today whether he wants the "b" sample to be tested mate or whether he just wants to accept the results of the first test.

The "b" sample was taken at the same time as the first sample mate

Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho will respond to Uefa over failed drug test

Andy Hunter
      Monday 25 April 2016 18.37 BST Last modified on Monday 25 April 2016 21.49 BST

Mamadou Sakho will respond to Uefa’s investigation into his failed drug test on Tuesday when the Liverpool defender has to decide whether to have his B sample analysed.

The France defender may face a lengthy ban for contravening Uefa’s drug rules in a test submitted after the Europa League tie at Manchester United on 17 March. A fat-burning substance is believed to have been discovered in the sample provided by the 26-year-old, who was dropped by the former manager Brendan Rodgers against Stoke City and Bournemouth at the start of the season for being overweight.

Liverpool were informed of Sakho’s failed test on Friday and the player was given a deadline of Tuesday to request that his B sample also be examined.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/25/liverpool-mamadou-sakho-respond-uefa-failed-drug-test

Thanks mates, fingers crossed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #171: Apr 26, 2016 07:20:53 pm
      Bugger just lost my post!!! Something about 6 seconds... 6 seconds till I explode now :)

author=crouchinho link=topic=48698.msg1922602#msg1922602 date=1461693131]

There's no such thing as an accidental drug now though, mate. Mama and another 99.99% of athletes, know that they shouldn't be taking these pills.

Athletes read labels of foods such as cereal, yoghurts etc. to find if theres a protein or sugar etc. they shouldn't be eating. Do you think they would do that and then think, "Hmmm this drug promises to lose weight. I won't check to see what substances are in it, it should be ok"?

Education is given when they're young and that can only guide their judgement but after that. Ultimately it's an athletes choice whether or not to take a substance and unsurprisingly, no matter what a governing body does, human beings will always be tempted to take these substances.

But surely they would be less tempted if there was a good chance they would be caught. I am sure Sakho would have decided to eat less work harder to lose weight if he had know he was going to be tested every week. It might not get rid of the hardened cheats but for those using over the counter easily bought stuff I think they would think twice mate. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #172: Apr 26, 2016 07:30:03 pm
      Bugger just lost my post!!! Something about 6 seconds... 6 seconds till I explode now :)

But surely they would be less tempted if there was a good chance they would be caught. I am sure Sakho would have decided to eat less work harder to lose weight if he had know he was going to be tested every week. It might not get rid of the hardened cheats but for those using over the counter easily bought stuff I think they would think twice mate. 

They already know there's a chance they'll get caught. That's not usually the determining factor whether they take it or not. It's often whether the reward outweighs the risk.

Hypothetically, if Mama or any athlete thinks there's a slight chance of being caught, but this pill allows him to keep 10 or 15 pounds off and lets him get through matches in better condition and his recovery time is shorter, then he will take the pill.

In Mama's case, if he's phased out of the first team and not playing, whilst being criticised for being out shape, and this pill will get him back in contention within a fortnight for the first team instead of two months of hard work, there's a high chance he will take the pill. That's after considering the education he's been given about the effects of drugs, the risk in being caught and knowing the systems for drug testing.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #173: Apr 26, 2016 07:31:25 pm
      Sakho surely thought the chances of him being caught were slim. I think if he gets 1 year plus ban he could be finished at Liverpool. Could this be considered a breach of contract on Sakho's part? We know how FSG feel about their reputation!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #174: Apr 26, 2016 07:34:56 pm
      They already know there's a chance they'll get caught. That's not usually the determining factor whether they take it or not. It's often whether the reward outweighs the risk.

Hypothetically, if Mama or any athlete thinks there's a slight chance of being caught, but this pill allows him to keep 10 or 15 pounds off and lets him get through matches in better condition and his recovery time is shorter, then he will take the pill.

In Mama's case, if he's phased out of the first team and not playing, whilst being criticised for being out shape, and this pill will get him back in contention within a fortnight for the first team instead of two months of hard work, there's a high chance he will take the pill. That's after considering the education he's been given about the effects of drugs, the risk in being caught and knowing the systems for drug testing.

We will have to disagree mate. If Sakho had known he was going to be tested he wouldn't have done it. It was the good chance that he wouldn't be tested that swayed him to take the risk.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #175: Apr 26, 2016 07:41:27 pm
      Sakho surely thought the chances of him being caught were slim. I think if he gets 1 year plus ban he could be finished at Liverpool. Could this be considered a breach of contract on Sakho's part? We know how FSG feel about their reputation!

I think he will be finished at Liverpool if he gets a year or more ban mate.

FSG or at least John Henry is used to this problem as his Red Socks were involved in a drugs scandal a few years ago. (Mainly the misuse of anti-inflammatory drugs I think)   
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #176: Apr 26, 2016 07:44:28 pm
      We will have to disagree mate. If Sakho had known he was going to be tested he wouldn't have done it. It was the good chance that he wouldn't be tested that swayed him to take the risk.

Why would he think he wasn't going to be tested?

UEFA have it written in their anti-doping guidelines (which every player receives) that players can get tested after any UEFA match and even outside of UEFA competition.

UEFA also state that you should consult a team doctor before taking any medication or food supplements.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #177: Apr 26, 2016 07:47:41 pm
      Why would he think he wasn't going to be tested?

UEFA have it written in their anti-doping guidelines (which every player receives) that players can get tested after any UEFA match and even outside of UEFA competition.

UEFA also state that you should consult a team doctor before taking any medication or food supplements.

Big difference between will be tested and might be tested mate.

Not arguing about whether he should have taken it, we both know he shouldn't.

For me if he had known he would definitely be tested he wouldn't have taken it.

How many unwanted pregnancies are there every year?  People will always take a chance if they think they can get away with it. If they knew they would get caught more legs would stay shut and more athletes would say no to drugs. 
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #178: Apr 26, 2016 07:59:50 pm
      I think he will be finished at Liverpool if he gets a year or more ban mate.

FSG or at least John Henry is used to this problem as his Red Socks were involved in a drugs scandal a few years ago. (Mainly the misuse of anti-inflammatory drugs I think)   

Surely they can terminate his contract at no cost too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #179: Apr 26, 2016 08:02:07 pm
      For me if he had known he would definitely be tested he wouldn't have taken it. 

Maybe.

But then he'd take it another time. His actions show he was willing to take a substance to improve his fitness and whether it was before, now or later, it doesn't matter.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #180: Apr 26, 2016 08:04:39 pm
      Surely they can terminate his contract at no cost too.

No idea mate. However this works out it's going to cost Liverpool a lot of money. Terminate his contract and we have lost a player that cost us £18million. Keep him and we may have to pay £5million or so a year wages for a player who can't play for two years.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #181: Apr 26, 2016 08:08:50 pm
      No idea mate. However this works out it's going to cost Liverpool a lot of money. Terminate his contract and we have lost a player that cost us £18million. Keep him and we may have to pay £5million or so a year wages for a player who can't play for two years.

You're right mate. It's fu**ed
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #182: Apr 26, 2016 08:09:42 pm

FSG and their public image are one of the reasons why I brought up his potential sacking the other day. I genuinely don't think he'll get more than a year, there will be no consistency in it if that's the case.

I don't think he'll get more than a year but there seems to be no consistency in the length of bans being given out for this type of thing. Mutu got 9 months, Ferdinand 8 months, Kolo 6 months, Stam 5 months, Davids 4 months. Some of those took more serious things than fat burners too. I think he should get between 6 and 9 months. Keep him at the club, don't pay his wages and closely monitor anything he takes for the rest of his stay.

People do dumb sh*t sometimes, he's clearly a decent guy, his sole purpose was to lose weight and whilst that may effect his performances he just wanted to get into the team.

We've stuck by/with players for worse.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #183: Apr 26, 2016 08:15:00 pm
      I think he'll get 6 months.

Quick Reply