Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sakho fails drug test - Update: Case dropped by UEFA

Read 48335 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Sakho fails drug test
      Reply #92: Apr 24, 2016 07:59:52 pm
      If it's years, do we sack him and sue for compensation at a later date if another club signs him (Mutu & Chelsea) or do we keep him on and just not pay his wages for those years?

No idea mate.  He's ours till 2020 contract wise, so we'd have another 2 years and he'd only be 28 if he gets the expected 2 year ban.  He can still train in that time, he just wouldn't get any playing time even in friendlies I'm guessing.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,216 posts | 1221 
      Reply #93: Apr 24, 2016 08:12:10 pm
      It could easily be longer than that going off the UEFA link posted earlier.

Possibly (depends on the circumstances in truth), but as it's supposedly a 'fat burner' he took, I've a hunch that it might be easier to argue it was a genuine mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to cheat -- a conclusion that might be more readily inferred had the substance in question been, say, some hardcore anabolic steroids imported from Russia.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #94: Apr 24, 2016 08:44:00 pm
      Possibly (depends on the circumstances in truth), but as it's supposedly a 'fat burner' he took, I've a hunch that it might be easier to argue it was a genuine mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to cheat -- a conclusion that might be more readily inferred had the substance in question been, say, some hardcore anabolic steroids imported from Russia.

I don't think that matters mate, a banned substance is a banned substance.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,216 posts | 1221 
      Reply #95: Apr 24, 2016 08:51:47 pm
      I don't think that matters mate, a banned substance is a banned substance.

I think it does, debs. If he's taken a banned substance intending to cheat, he'll get a four year ban. If he's taken a banned substance without realising it was banned, but where he fell short of making the proper checks, he'll get anything up to two years.

I'm sure there are plenty of weight loss pills you can buy over the counter. The same can't be said of anabolic steroids, for instance.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #96: Apr 24, 2016 08:55:15 pm
      Does the club still have to pay his wages whilst he is suspended?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #97: Apr 24, 2016 08:58:16 pm
      I'm baffled as to why he'd be taking a fat burner. There was F**k all to him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #98: Apr 24, 2016 09:00:09 pm
      Does the club still have to pay his wages whilst he is suspended?

At the moment I'd imagine so purely because he hasn't received a punishment via UEFA. Once the punishment comes down I'd expect the club to stop doing. The club shouldn't have to pay for somebody who has broken the rules.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #99: Apr 24, 2016 09:04:23 pm
      I think it does, debs. If he's taken a banned substance intending to cheat, he'll get a four year ban. If he's taken a banned substance without realising it was banned, but where he fell short of making the proper checks, he'll get anything up to two years.

I'm sure there are plenty of weight loss pills you can buy over the counter. The same can't be said of anabolic steroids, for instance.

Most of the ingredients on the banned list are used in everyday medicines mate but it's still the athletes responsibility to check before taking anything, which is why ignorance can't be used as a defense.

I guess we'll know the outcome soon enough.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #100: Apr 24, 2016 09:17:19 pm
      I think the length of his suspension will end up depending not on the substance he took, but how he can go about proving that he did not do it with the intention of improving performance. At least that's according to some of what I've read on it so far.

Either way, any ban is a huge blow. UEFA also should really reconsider their policies on this issue. A potential 2-year ban for a fat burner seems absolutely ridiculous when you can essentially purposely break another player's leg and only get like a 3-game ban.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,216 posts | 1221 
      Reply #101: Apr 24, 2016 09:21:03 pm
      Most of the ingredients on the banned list are used in everyday medicines mate but it's still the athletes responsibility to check before taking anything, which is why ignorance can't be used as a defense.

I guess we'll know the outcome soon enough.

No defence, I agree. But it could make a huge difference to the length of the ban.

I'm actually beginning to think we should probably add some extra months on due to the high profile nature of the case and the fact it's UEFA.

How would it look for them if a team with a player that tested positive did well in one of its competitions?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #102: Apr 24, 2016 09:27:50 pm
      I'd like to know how much these drugs enhance your performance.

Surely it can't really affect your performance that much. Or maybe it does.

Without this fat burner he might be like Ally Cissokho.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #103: Apr 24, 2016 09:33:30 pm
      No defence, I agree. But it could make a huge difference to the length of the ban.

I'm actually beginning to think we should probably add some extra months on due to the high profile nature of the case and the fact it's UEFA.

How would it look for them if a team with a player that tested positive did well in one of its competitions?

Nah mate, we're already in their bad books for singing nasty songs and letting off fireworks, they'll throw the book at us one way or another, no need to punish ourselves on top.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #104: Apr 24, 2016 11:05:31 pm
      Really frustrated by this, still. Was playing so well, scored a couple of goals, and you could see how much it was meaning to him, to be doing well, both individually and as a team. Good partnership with Dejan.
      Is he just unlucky? I mean, maybe loads of players are on the same, or similar stuff. Maybe it's much more widespread in the game than anyone thinks, and it's unfair to be picking on him. Maybe he didn't think it was something he could get in trouble for using.
      Unfortunately I don't buy it. As a sports pro, you NEED to know what you are taking, and if it's legal. Full stop. If in doubt, don't f**king take it. Others are taking it? F**k that. Me ma used to say, you don't jump off a cliff just cause others are doing it. Know your mind. Take responsibility for your actions.
      Likely will get a ban, and miss end of season, that medicine is gonna taste REALLY bad, but he is gonna just have to swallow it :(
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #105: Apr 24, 2016 11:08:08 pm
      Really frustrated by this, still. Was playing so well, scored a couple of goals, and you could see how much it was meaning to him, to be doing well, both individually and as a team. Good partnership with Dejan.
      Is he just unlucky? I mean, maybe loads of players are on the same, or similar stuff. Maybe it's much more widespread in the game than anyone thinks, and it's unfair to be picking on him. Maybe he didn't think it was something he could get in trouble for using.
      Unfortunately I don't buy it. As a sports pro, you NEED to know what you are taking, and if it's legal. Full stop. If in doubt, don't f**king take it. Others are taking it? F**k that. Me ma used to say, you don't jump off a cliff just cause others are doing it. Know your mind. Take responsibility for your actions.
      Likely will get a ban, and miss end of season, that medicine is gonna taste REALLY bad, but he is gonna just have to swallow it :(

The worry I have is that UEFA will make an example out of him (us really) and hit him with a massive ban. When I heard it first I thought F**k that's 6 months, now it would be a relief if we hear it's only 6 months to be honest.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #106: Apr 24, 2016 11:11:38 pm

Is he unlucky? No, he's got some serious answers to give because under the rules he's meant to consult with the club Doctor before taking any drugs, in order to ensure it doesn't contain a banned substance. Clearly he hasn't done that and clearly he's let everyone down by not doing that. This is not to say I for one moment think it's performance enhancing, rather that he's just been a complete dick by failing to follow the rules and now he, and by extension, us are going to end up paying for that stupidity.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #107: Apr 24, 2016 11:19:55 pm
      Matip, Lovren & Gomez are not enough now...going to need to dig into the transfer market yet again for a CB.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #108: Apr 24, 2016 11:20:55 pm
      Is he unlucky? No, he's got some serious answers to give because under the rules he's meant to consult with the club Doctor before taking any drugs, in order to ensure it doesn't contain a banned substance. Clearly he hasn't done that and clearly he's let everyone down by not doing that. This is not to say I for one moment think it's performance enhancing, rather that he's just been a complete dick by failing to follow the rules and now he, and by extension, us are going to end up paying for that stupidity.

A lot depends on which drug he has taken mate. They vary considerably, from simple caffeine to others that use growth hormone to promote the bodies production of anabolic chemicals.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #109: Apr 24, 2016 11:23:25 pm

You mean as opposed to the whole organisation being corrupt as F**k and probably doing drugs regularly themselves? F**k adding more months on just to please UEFA, they're charging us with all sorts lately, no chance we start kissing their arses.

They can't punish us as a club if it's only one player.
      DanMann

• 5,759 posts | 884 
      Reply #110: Apr 24, 2016 11:26:31 pm

How about we clearly wait until matters become clear?

Lots of speculation and blame in this discussion. None of you actually know anything so...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #111: Apr 24, 2016 11:28:05 pm
      How about we clearly wait until matters become clear?

Lots of speculation and blame here.None of you actually know anything so...

That's never stopped me before mate :)

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,216 posts | 1221 
      Reply #112: Apr 24, 2016 11:31:35 pm
      You mean as opposed to the whole organisation being corrupt as f**k and probably doing drugs regularly themselves? F**k adding more months on just to please UEFA, they're charging us with all sorts lately, no chance we start kissing their arses.

They can't punish us as a club if it's only one player.

I meant the fact it's UEFA means we should probably adjust our expectations on the length of the ban...

Good opportunity to make an example of a high profile player, appear tough on drugs cheats and deflect attention from their own internal shenanigans.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #113: Apr 24, 2016 11:55:57 pm
      So its eferdin, 6 months to 4 years, looks really bad, all the best Mama but not with LFC, you are fnished here. Fucks sake. what a f***in disaster.

edit: "Mama Sakho baned for 2 years". Twitter source.

for fucks sake Mama. come on :( you destabilized Liverpool Football Club. F**k off you idiot
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #114: Apr 25, 2016 12:13:57 am
      So its eferdin, 6 months to 4 years, looks really bad, all the best Mama but not with LFC, you are fnished here. Fucks sake. what a f***in disaster.

edit: "Mama Sakho baned for 2 years". Twitter source.

for fucks sake Mama. come on :( you destabilized Liverpool Football Club. F**k off you idiot

Appalling post.

Quick Reply