Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (10.3%)
      Connor Randall
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (4.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      11 (16.2%)
      Kevin Stewart
      2 (2.9%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (8.8%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.4%)
      Adam Lallana
      24 (35.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (16.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2016 04:58:12 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Newcastle: In game and Post Match debates

Read 26306 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Newcastle: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #391: Apr 24, 2016 09:31:42 am
      In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but it still hurts. Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton all 2-0 up and we got 2 points, F***ing abysmal.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #392: Apr 24, 2016 10:51:46 am
      In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but it still hurts. Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton all 2-0 up and we got 2 points, f**king abysmal.

why does it no matter? every match should matter, this is the attitude that the guys on the pitch have and its not good enough.

Lovren now saying they should pretend its 0-0 at half time - why should they have to pretend anything? its like they cant perform if there in the lead
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #393: Apr 24, 2016 11:58:56 am
      Mignolet has gotten the majority of the blame but the bottom line is we don't defend very well, it's gotten better under Jürgen but not much. Take the build up to their opening goal, Moreno could have done better further up the pitch, kolo has an opportunity to get tight and prevent the cross and Randall is caught on his heels when the ball comes (although he could have been put off by Mignolet). The crosses are a real issue for me, we don't stop them, we don't make much effort to stop them which doesn't make sense because we're not the best at defending them. Lets be brutally honest we don't have the squad to be rotating. Randall, Toure, Stewart none of them are good enough. Defensively we aren't up to it, Lovren has been the star this year, Clyne has been solid but Sakho is hit and miss, superb one minute a total liability the next, Toure surely will be moving on in the summer, same goes for Skrtel and Moreno (despite a recent solid patch) is not good enough, he's Mignolet on the pitch. And as for the keeper I'm fairly certain Klopp will be looking for some genuine competition in the summer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #394: Apr 24, 2016 12:14:33 pm
      why does it no matter? every match should matter, this is the attitude that the guys on the pitch have and its not good enough.

Lovren now saying they should pretend its 0-0 at half time - why should they have to pretend anything? its like they cant perform if there in the lead

Well they certainly shouldn't pretend they've won at half time as that's what it seems is happening. I would love to see the conversations at half time because I expect there is a bit to much congratulating going on from the coaching staff and players at half time. Certainly almost every single second half we come out with much less intensity than we did at the start of the match, that needs to change. I would suggest no congratulating until the end of the match. Even if a player has a solid first half good psychology would be to point out what he can do better in the second half to keep the player focussed, always give someone something to improve upon, its basic man management.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #395: Apr 24, 2016 12:15:51 pm
      Nearly some 24 hours later and I'm still in disbelief that we threw another 2 goal lead away.

Let's WIN this Europa Cup and then look forward to all the goodies we are going to get in the off season.

Can't wait till next season, already.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #396: Apr 24, 2016 01:20:55 pm
      but the bottom line is we don't defend very well, it's gotten better under Jürgen but not much.
      It deffo looked like it was getting better Scotty but I'm not sure it did/has.

It might well be just down to coaching [as was often the cry in recent seasons] and I might well be wrong but, for me, it's a personnel thing. Will Matip bring the solution? I hope so.

DanMann

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #397: Apr 24, 2016 02:30:55 pm
      Disappointing result. I would love to finish the season ahead of Utd in the league, but the league is well and truly over, and Klopp showed again that he has lost interest in it. Fair enough if we win the UEFA !!

With Stewart and Randall playing and Clyne, Sakho, Firmino resting ( ;) ) it's clear that the Premier League game are just practice games now. We did well against Bournemouth, but against Newcastle who are fighting for survival, we needed more graft from the lads to get a result.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #398: Apr 24, 2016 02:37:13 pm
      Well they certainly shouldn't pretend they've won at half time as that's what it seems is happening. I would love to see the conversations at half time because I expect there is a bit to much congratulating going on from the coaching staff and players at half time. Certainly almost every single second half we come out with much less intensity than we did at the start of the match, that needs to change. I would suggest no congratulating until the end of the match. Even if a player has a solid first half good psychology would be to point out what he can do better in the second half to keep the player focussed, always give someone something to improve upon, its basic man management.

I agree, but this is not the first time its happened, and to rub salt in the wounds it was like everyone at liverpool was happy with a point/ maybe even a loss from the start of the week - all i read coming from liverpool was about welcoming Rafa back.

the wrong attitude from start to finish.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #399: Apr 24, 2016 03:37:07 pm
      A 2-2 draw at home is a massive disappointment after such a great start, with the fastest first goal scored anytime I've been to watch us.

We would have won of course, if Migs didn't add another clanger to his growing  collection, while after they equalised Rafa did what Rafa often does, shut up shop rather than finish the job. They are a club in 19th spot, needing wins rather than draws to avoid the drop. You wouldn't know it though, as we had all the ball again after the equaliser, but just couldn't break his bus parkers down again.

It is our first drawn home game I've ever been at. They're still 19th, and we are still short of an automatic European spot. It doesn't really do either side any favours in the long run.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #400: Apr 24, 2016 05:40:28 pm
      I am not too disappointed by the result because there was no way for us to get 4th spot anyways. We will end up 5th or 6th.
      The positive from the game was that we did not incur any new injury(ies)
      Next Thur game against Vilarreal will be a crucial tie.
      I am in disbelief at the fu**ed run of luck that we had: we lost 4 of our key starters in the space of <2 weeks... Unbelievable!
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #401: Apr 24, 2016 07:57:57 pm
      It deffo looked like it was getting better Scotty but I'm not sure it did/has.

It might well be just down to coaching [as was often the cry in recent seasons] and I might well be wrong but, for me, it's a personnel thing. Will Matip bring the solution? I hope so.

It' a combination of the two I think mate, It's clear Brendan and his staff were not particularly good when it came to the defensive side of the game and that seems to also be reflected in the players we have at the club. It honestly wouldn't bother me if we got rid of the lot (including keepers) bar Lovren, Clyne and Gomez. Let's hope Matip is the real deal and with a bot of luck young Gomez will make a good recovery and build on the fantastic promise he showed in the early parts of this season.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #402: Apr 24, 2016 08:20:18 pm
      I am not too disappointed by the result because there was no way for us to get 4th spot anyways. We will end up 5th or 6th.
      The positive from the game was that we did not incur any new injury(ies)
      Next Thur game against Vilarreal will be a crucial tie.
      I am in disbelief at the fu**ed run of luck that we had: we lost 4 of our key starters in the space of <2 weeks... Unbelievable!

The main reason we won't get 4th is that c**t between the sticks. I'm still furious he's cost us again. If he has any integrity he'll donate his earnings to charity for this week.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #403: Apr 25, 2016 09:29:07 am
      The main reason we won't get 4th is that c**t between the sticks. I'm still furious he's cost us again. If he has any integrity he'll donate his earnings to charity for this week.

I don't think there are any guarantees that we still wouldn't have capitulated. Cast your mind back to the Saints game when Mignolet saved a penalty at 2-0 and we still blew it. The keeper is a major part of our defensive woes but he is just one of many problems back there.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #404: Apr 25, 2016 10:59:58 am
      Only saw the highlights.

Great goals by Sturridge and Lallana. Shocking goals to concede and yet again Mignolet at blame for one.

I've been playing football since I could walk. I've never been a goalkeeper and I've never played at a particular high standard either but there are some things you are taught at school boy level which stick with you for life. If you put your name on it and if you go for the ball then you have to F***ing win it. Mignolet comes for that cross and gets nowhere near it. F***ing abysmal.

I'd love to know how many goals/points he has cost us in his LFC career but it seems to be every other game.

We will never be a consistent force if he is our goalie.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #405: Apr 25, 2016 11:09:39 am
      Fu*king unbelievable, Mignolet's mistake cost us again. Not good enough.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #406: Apr 25, 2016 11:17:44 am
      The midfield was the issue. Lucas should have played earlier, I mean we needed control but have none.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #407: Apr 25, 2016 11:23:48 am
      The problem for Migs is that its been drilled into him that he's got to come out, he's got to command his area.

It was the decision making that let him down. It was a tough one because for a long time he'd have been thinking he could get there, but the cross was looping and curling away from him. It was a real teaser really.

You would hope he'd have a little bit better judgement as to what he can claim and when he needs to stay at home. It is hard for him to trust his own judgement because of mistakes he has previously made.

You could also hope that when he does come he'd be quicker on his feet to get a glove on it.

It was fine margins but it cost us a goal.

There were other mistakes littered all over that goal from a few of our lads.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #408: Apr 25, 2016 11:36:49 am
      The problem for Migs is that its been drilled into him that he's got to come out, he's got to command his area.

It was the decision making that let him down. It was a tough one because for a long time he'd have been thinking he could get there, but the cross was looping and curling away from him. It was a real teaser really.

You would hope he'd have a little bit better judgement as to what he can claim and when he needs to stay at home. It is hard for him to trust his own judgement because of mistakes he has previously made.

You could also hope that when he does come he'd be quicker on his feet to get a glove on it.

It was fine margins but it cost us a goal.

There were other mistakes littered all over that goal from a few of our lads.

Migs made a mistake but come on, we should still have beaten Newcastle with ease if we'd played the second half with the same intensity as the first, we can't pin it all on Migs.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #409: Apr 25, 2016 12:47:01 pm
      I've watched the highlights now, we had plenty chances to get more goals, and yes mings was at fault for goal no.1, but goal no.2 was not very good defending and it took many deflections. these things happen. Considering the amount of changes in the teams over the past few weeks, there was always going to be 1 game at least where it never quite worked. We are also still unbeaten since that Southampton collapse last month.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #410: Apr 25, 2016 06:28:26 pm
      Migs made a mistake but come on, we should still have beaten Newcastle with ease if we'd played the second half with the same intensity as the first, we can't pin it all on Migs.

Completely agree mate.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #411: Apr 25, 2016 09:22:27 pm
      migs has been protected by the best centre half pairing we've had since Jürgen arrived in Sakho and Lovren who have both played solid in front of him.. take them away and i'm sorry but he is left too exposed especially in the second half..

Quick Reply