Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Hillsborough inquest - Fans 'unlawfully killed'

Read 56151 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Hillsborough inquest - Fans 'unlawfully killed'
      Reply #184: Apr 27, 2016 02:18:43 pm
      ~I have been watching the debate in parliament for sometime now. whilst the words being spoken are good words and genuine words I wonder where these people have been for the last 27 years. the only people who have been 100% supportive are the people of Liverpool and the supporters from around the country.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #185: Apr 27, 2016 02:18:56 pm
      Brave Hillsborough families won verdict through every ounce of love they had
      By Brian Reade

All they ever wanted was the correct words on their loved ones’ death certificates.

All these families fought for during 27 long, hard years, with every ounce of energy and love in them, and in the face of relentless kicks in the teeth, was that most basic of human rights.

And, as their gasps of disbelief and sobs of joy echoed around a specially-built Warrington court-room at the jury’s verdicts, they finally achieved it.

Now we officially know, that those 96 football fans who never came home from the 1989 FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough, 38 of whom were teenagers or younger, were unlawfully killed.

They were crushed inside those Leppings Lane cages due to catastrophic policing, then allowed to die while officers and other emergency services looked on.

Up until now there was a big lie on their graves. An epitaph that said these 96 innocents died in an accident.

Now THE TRUTH is written large. They died because those entrusted with their safety were criminally negligent.

And as the jury delivered the unlawful killing verdicts and exonerated the fans, the joy on those tear-stained faces, laced with anger that it had taken so long for the truth to come out in court, was one of the most poignant, heart-breaking scenes I’ve ever witnessed.

People who’ve been to hell and back were finally in a place they wanted to be. But they were also in emotional pieces.

Not all of the families could make it into the packed courtroom, so watched the verdicts delivered on screens in two annexes.

Those who did, had fear etched on their drawn faces as they took their seats half-expecting yet another kick in the teeth.

Anxiety hung heavy in the modern pine-decked, makeshift courtroom.

When the jury foreman announced unlawful killing some just clenched their fists, closed their eyes and stared ahead. Other let out gasps and shrieks.

Most of the women sobbed openly. Some of the men heaved their chests, let the shoulders drop and rubbed wet eyes.

When she unanimously cleared the fans of all blame their tears turned to cheers, and the anxiety was pierced by utter relief.

Finally the abysmal slur, the prime defence of the police, that drunken fans had killed the 96, had been destroyed for good.

Tracey Church, who lost her brother Gary in the disaster, summed up the overpowering moment: “It was surreal. I felt emotional, shaken, happy, sad - all mixed into one.”

Barry Devonside, who lost his only son Christopher, 18, and attended every day of the inquest said: “I always hoped and dreamt that we would get this decision.

"I’m glad we did. We did our best - we couldn’t do any more.”

The average age of the 96 victims was 24. Which means the struggle to put the correct words on those death certificates has taken, on average, three years longer than the time they spent on earth.

It is one of the most damning indictments on this country’s justice system, which those responsible must now pay for and those in power should never be allowed to forget.

Only when we get to the bottom of the cover-up which kept the most heinous of lies going for more than a quarter of a century, the lie that the fans, not the police, caused the biggest disaster in British sporting history, will those families get any form of justice.

There can be no stone left unturned, now.

The guilty need to pay for knowingly kicking these families and survivors to hell and back, leaving a soul-numbing trail of broken marriages, suicides and deaths.

Those still alive have had to endure more than two years of travelling to Warrington to hear South Yorkshire Police carry on their false narrative that it was the fans who killed their own.

It said everything about the inhumanity of South Yorkshire Police, then and now, in their refusal to admit responsibility and end the pain suffered by these battered people.

But they didn’t have the decency to do that.

Theirs was a shameless, unnecessary performance, funded lavishly by the taxpayer.

As Trevor Hicks said getting to the truth felt “like picking out back teeth.”

It showed how hard it is for the Establishment to hold its hands up, and how justified and magnificent the families and their supporters have been in refusing to let their lies prevail.

The victory those families now celebrate is a triumph of good over evil, love over contempt, and proof that unity of ordinary people in rightful cause is a bond too powerful to be broken.

These families are a genuine inspiration to the nation.

Barry Devonside summed up their relief when he said: “Today we gained the confidence from the jury that we were right to do what we’ve tried to do for 27 years and bring justice for those who never went home.”

Down the years they have been told to move on over and over again, but refused to obey it.

All the time believing that while they had breath left in their bodies they would carry on to over-turn what barrister Michael Mansfield described as “the biggest cover-up in British legal history.”

He he called their victory “one of the most historic and majestic” ever gained.

When the findings of The Hillsborough Panel Report were published in September 2012 there was euphoria.

It felt like the truth was finally out, that their fight had been vindicated, and justice was now a formality.

But these past two years of listening to the inquests have been incredibly painful. For many, the toughest moments since 1989.

They had to re-live the harrowing deaths of their sons, brothers, fathers and daughters in lurid detail.

They had to see them in the crowd making their final movements, frozen in time, many in their innocent youth, then laying on the pitch, dying, with a coat over them as indifferent policemen walked past.

They re-lived this in the knowledge that, according to the Panel Report, 41 of the deceased had the potential to survive after being pulled from the pens. It was heartbreaking.

They had to listen to police officers who had clearly been trained to deflect any blame away from their force on to the fans.

Listening to men who they knew were culpable for their loved ones’ deaths claim they heard, saw and spoke no evil that day, and not being able to comment on it, was soul-crushing.

As Margaret Aspinall, who lost her son James, said, had the fans taken any of the blame she would have told them “where to stick their verdict” even if they’d got Unlawful Killing.

I was 31 when, as a fan, I walked through that opened Leppings Lane gate.

This day has been half a lifetime in coming.

Christ knows how long it’s felt for those mothers and fathers who were relatively young back then, most of whom are now pensioners, their lives and those of their families, needlessly consumed by Hillsborough.

Decent, ordinary people who have had to endure the constant slur from critics and cynics at every level of society, right up to Prime Ministers, that they were looking for something that wasn’t there.

Something they would never find.

Well somehow, through the sheer power of love, these extraordinary people found it.

And now they have, and the truth is enshrined in law, they won’t rest until they get rightful justice.

They have had 27 years of sleepless nights. Now it’s time for others, guilty of criminal negligence that day and a criminal cover-up of since, to have theirs.

JURY’S 14 KEY DECISIONS
      1. Basic facts: 96 people died in the disaster YES

3. Was there an error or omission in policing at the turnstiles? YES

4. Was there an error by commanding officers on the terraces? YES

5. Was there an error by commander in ordering gates to be opened? YES

6. Are you satisfied those who died were unlawfully killed? YES

7. Did fans’ behaviour contribute to the dangerous situation? NO

8. Did the stadium design contribute to the disaster? YES

9. Was there an error in the stadium safety certification? YES

10. Was there an error in planning for the match by Sheffield Wednesday? YES

11. Did an error by Sheffield Wednesday on the day contribute to the danger? NO

(Supplementary: May an error by SWFC on the day have contributed to the danger?) YES

12. Should stadium engineers have done more to advise on safety? YES

13. Was there an error in the police response after the crush developed? YES

14. Was there an error in ambulance response after the crush developed? YES

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brave-hillsborough-families-won-verdict-7840489
      evaluator
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts |
      Reply #186: Apr 27, 2016 02:30:55 pm
      Brave Hillsborough families won verdict through every ounce of love they had

There are some really powerful articles coming out. These results have been a huge relief
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #187: Apr 27, 2016 02:32:53 pm

There is an article in the Guardian today by David Conn, a very long article and a very tough read. I had to take time to read it, I couldn't read it in one go but it is a very powerful article and will bring you to tears.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades

Can I please quote an extract .     
      If you are a Mum or a Dad .........

The families of the people who were ushered into that terrifyingly unsafe situation and died read shattering personal statements, many remembering their loved ones’ casual goodbyes.

Irene McGlone recalled her husband, Alan, 24, skipping with their daughters, Amy, then five, and two-year-old Claire, before driving to Hillsborough with three friends including Joseph Clark, 29, another father of two, who also died.

That night, Amy asked if her dad could wake them up when he came home.

“I am still waiting to wake my girls up from this nightmare, and send their Daddy in to them,” McGlone wrote.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #188: Apr 27, 2016 02:33:36 pm
      I see The Times have apologised and I am calling bollocks. Murdoch made a visit to The Times newsroom yesterday, on the day, but that had no bearing on that decision??

Not for me.

https://twitter.com/JimBoardman/status/725315718795923456

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #189: Apr 27, 2016 02:41:04 pm
      There are still people breathing air that should be made to pay for their sins. Justice hasn't been done quite yet.......
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #190: Apr 27, 2016 03:00:50 pm
      I've been too busy today to follow any of the debates or news reports but I did hear Teresa May talking about the possible charges being brought by the CPS etc.

Somebody on here on Truth day (think it was Redangel) asked me if I thought it was possible for things to still be brushed under the carpet or that we wouldn't get new Inquests and I said then and still believe now that that is never going to happen.

The general public, now they know the real truth and with the verdicts yesterday will never let them get away it.  People and organisations will be made to pay or trust in the Establishment will be broken, forever!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #191: Apr 27, 2016 03:08:24 pm
      Just heard on city talk that the cost up to now for the inquest is ÂŁ36m.

Basically what ronaldo earns in a year.

And they believe that South Yorkshire Police's attitude extended it by a year so I suspect that police force owes the taxpayer ÂŁ18M?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #192: Apr 27, 2016 03:21:08 pm
      I honestly believe that while the police were despicable c***s, the cover-up goes much higher than that. Only two years now till the cabinet papers ought to become available, but I absolutely bet a pound to a penny on they'll be withdrawn/lost. It's not just the police as they aren't clever enough, it was the whole lot of the establishment.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #193: Apr 27, 2016 03:26:08 pm
      I see The Times have apologised and I am calling bollocks. Murdoch made a visit to The Times newsroom yesterday, on the day, but that had no bearing on that decision??

Not for me.

https://twitter.com/JimBoardman/status/725315718795923456
      As you say mate,total bollocks
      Same as his shitehawks on sky news this morning slating the times and that
      sh*te rag paper for totally dismissing
      The events of yesterday.hypocrisy at its finest.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #194: Apr 27, 2016 03:29:56 pm
      Two excellent speeches by the Home Secretary Theresa May and especially from Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham who has brought to the fore the incredible flaws in the judicial system.

According to the Home Secretary, the offences under investigation in the two ongoing investigations include:

* Gross negligence manslaughter
      * Misconduct in public office
      * Perverting the course of justice and perjury
      * Offences under the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975
      * Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

Credit to the Home Secretary for remaining in close contact with the families and with Bishop James Jones (whose role was massive in chairing the Hillsborough Independent Panel) who is the Home Secretary's official advisor on Hillsborough. The Hillsborough Independent Panel was not binding when a new government came in in 2010 to replace the old Labour Government and there were real fears that a Tory led administration would conspire to ditch the work led by Phil Scraton and co. As Burnham notes, compared to her predecessors and probably most of her colleagues in cabinet she has held firm on this. Her battle in battling corruption and public contempt with the Police Federation is also something to be praised.

Burnham's speech brought applause within the House though and if you have 10 minutes to spare is a MUST watch. He wants to bring forward a 'Hillsborough Clause' in the Policing and Crime Bill that allows police officers to be charged with misconduct offences even after retirement. Currently police officers are not liable to charges of misconduct once they slope of into retirement. The current draft of that bill has a clause that now says officers may be charged 12 months after retirement. In scope of Hillsborough Burnham however, wants no time limit imposed on when officers may be charged for misconduct that ends 'the scandal of using retirement as an escape route' for corrupt police officers.

Burnham also brings forward the continued disgraceful actions of South Yorkshire Police (and the ambulance service) who reneged on it's apology in 2012 to put forward lawyers arguing the same disgraceful lies that had been discredited by the Taylor Inquiry but more significantly by the Independent Panel in 2012. Citing Orgreave, Hillsborough and most recently the Rotherham Child Sex Abuse scandal Burnham is at pains to stress just how rotten this police force is. BUT even in light of these comments the South Yorkshire Police Federation today continues to peddle a lie that South Yorkshire Police has changed markedly since Hillsborough, a lie that seeks to protect themselves and themselves only.

May's speech:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/powerful-hillsborough-statement-theresa-reduces-7844846

Burnham's speech:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/andy-burnhams-damning-hillsborough-speech-7845019#rlabs=1%20rt$category%20p$3

Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #195: Apr 27, 2016 03:30:20 pm
      And they believe that South Yorkshire Police's attitude extended it by a year so I suspect that police force owes the taxpayer ÂŁ18M?
      They should strip each  copper who had a hand in that cover up of there police pension starting with that pr**k duckenfield! that should go a long way
      To repaying the taxpayer.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #196: Apr 27, 2016 04:03:27 pm
      Burnham's speech:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/andy-burnhams-damning-hillsborough-speech-7845019#rlabs=1%20rt$category%20p$3

F****** hell he's set me off again. We got the wrong f****** Labour leader or what.

DerbyRam
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #197: Apr 27, 2016 04:05:25 pm
      Derby Fan in Piece xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

27 years to conclude what everybody else knew, why did it take 27 years? , the friends and families of all involved should be very proud of what they have achieved, without the pressure they exerted it would have been forgotten a long time ago, unfortunately you will never receive real justice, too many people went to the grave without knowing.

all the best for the 2016-2017 season

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #198: Apr 27, 2016 04:10:18 pm
      F****** hell he's set me off again. We got the wrong f****** Labour leader or what.

Maybe in time (and hopefully) but for his contribution to the events that have unfolded speaking from the platform of Shadow Home Secretary has shown that he is the perfect appointment in that position. No other Labour Party member and candidate for Shadow Home Sec would bring the gravitas or legitimacy to their role and this matter as Burnham has done.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #199: Apr 27, 2016 04:11:34 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3561405/Prosecutions-Hillsborough-disaster-overwhelmingly-public-interest.html

South Yorkshire Police chief is suspended after MP says his position is 'untenable' following 'unlawfully killed' verdicts for Hillsborough victims [/news

Two investigations are currently taking place into the stadium disaster
          Individuals and organisations involved could face possible charges
          Former DPP says a decision over possible action could take a year
          MP Andy Burnham brands South Yorkshire Police 'rotten to the core'
          Shadow Home Secretary received standing ovation for his speech
          See more of the latest news on the Hillsborough disaster and verdicts

By Richard Spillett for MailOnline

Published: 07:05 EST, 27 April 2016 | Updated: 10:07 EST, 27 April 2016

Andy Burnham said the position of South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable David Crompton was now 'untenable'

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police has been suspended in the wake of a jury's damning verdicts over the Hillsborough disaster.

David Crompton's force was accused of 'retelling the same discredited lies' at the fresh inquests into the deaths of the 96 fans

It came after Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham, who has long campaigned for justice for Hillsborough victims, urged prosecutors to bring the date of a decision forward.

He then launched an angry attack on South Yorkshire Police over both the way they handled the disaster and the position they took during the new inquests.

Listing the scandals the force has been involved with, Mr Burnham said: 'Orgreave, Hillsborough, Rotherham: How much more evidence do we need before we act? Will the Home Secretary order the fundamental reform of this force and consider all potential options?'

He added: 'What kind of country leaves people, who did no more than wave off their loved ones, still sitting in a court room 27 years later, begging for the reputations of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and fathers? The answer is one that needs now to do some deep soul searching.'

Demands for the prosecution of those behind the Hillsborough disaster grew today after a jury's devastating verdicts on the failures of police and other authorities.

Anger over how the 96 victims and their families have been denied justice for so long led a string of politicians to demand a criminal investigation into the tragedy be carried out as quickly as possible.

His comments came before Home Secretary Theresa May praised the Hillsborough families in the House of Commons and her Labour shadow Andy Burnham demanded the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police.
      Theresa May said ministers must consider how the state responds to disasters like Hillsborough to make sure the suffering of families is better taken into account

Theresa May said ministers must consider how the state responds to disasters like Hillsborough to make sure the suffering of families is better taken into account
      Andy Burnham called for the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, branding the force 'rotten to the core'.

Former director of public prosecutions Lord Macdonald has said bringing those behind the Hillsborough disaster before court is 'overwhelmingly in the public interest

Andy Burnham called for the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, branding the force 'rotten to the core'. Former director of public prosecutions Lord Macdonald said bringing those behind the disaster before court is 'overwhelmingly in the public interest'

Home Secretary Theresa May made a statement to the House of Commons about the new inquests' conclusions this afternoon.

She said: 'This is not the end of the process. The decision about what proceedings can be brought forward will be made by the Crown Prosecution Service on the basis of evidence that is gathered as part of the two ongoing investigations.'

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham, who has long campaigned for justice for Hillsborough victims, urged prosecutors to bring the date of a decision forward.

He then launched an angry attack on South Yorkshire Police over both the way they handled the disaster and the position they took during the new inquests.

Listing the scandals the force has been involved with, Mr Burnham said: 'Orgreave, Hillsborough, Rotherham: How much more evidence do we need before we act? Will the Home Secretary order the fundamental reform of this force and consider all potential options?'

He added: 'What kind of country leaves people, who did no more than wave off their loved ones, still sitting in a court room 27 years later, begging for the reputations of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and fathers? The answer is one that needs now to do some deep soul searching.'

Demands for further action were repeated by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn today in the House of Commons.

Speaking at Prime Minister's Question Time, he said: 'I hope the whole house will unite today in demanding that all those involved in the lies, smears and cover-ups that have so bedeviled this while inquiry will now be held to account.'

Flowers have been laid at the city's Hillsborough memorial. The city has always backed the justice campaign

Earlier today, former head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Lord MacDonald said prosecutors will consider charges of gross negligence, manslaughter, perversion of the course of justice, perjury and misconduct in a public office.

Lord MacDonald, who was DPP from 2003 to 2008, said that a decision on charges would take at least a year.

He told the BBC Radio 4 Today Programme: 'Clearly these prosecutions would overwhelmingly be in the public interest, so the real question for the Crown Prosecution Service is going to be is a conviction more likely than not in this case? If the answer is yes then charges will be authorised.'

A commemoration ceremony is to be held in Liverpool city centre later this evening, at which the names and ages of those who died in the tragedy will be read out and displayed on large screens.

South Yorkshire Police has insisted it never sought to defend its failures during the fresh inquests.

A spokesman said today: 'The intention throughout these proceedings has been to assist the jury understand the facts.

'We have never sought, at any stage, to defend the failures of South Yorkshire Police or its officers. Nevertheless, these failures had to be put into the context of other contributory factors. In other words, where do the failings of SYP stand in the overall picture?

'We are sorry if our approach has been perceived as at odds with our earlier apology, this was certainly not our intention.'

The families of the victims (pictured) were told yesterday that their relatives were unlawfully killed

On Tuesday, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton, admitted the force got the policing of the match 'catastrophically wrong' and 'unequivocally' accepted the conclusions.

But Mr Burnham has said he 'didn't make much' of the police's apology, insisting the force had resurrected its defence for the inquest and said they had put the families through 'sheer hell' by extending the length of the longest jury case in British legal history

Two huge criminal investigations are currently ongoing into the Hillsborough disaster and its aftermath.

A police probe is looking at the lead-up to the tragedy and the day of the doomed match itself, and a separate inquiry by watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) - the biggest in its history - is investigating the alleged cover-up afterwards. Hundreds of investigators have worked on both inquiries.

Police have not named any suspects, but at least eight former officers could face action, including David Duckenfield, as well as a number of individuals.

Organisations that could face prosecution include Sheffield Wednesday FC, who hosted the game, Sheffield City Council, which issued the ground's safety certificate, and the Yorkshire Ambulance Service, which was involved in the emergency response.

The Football Association is also subject to investigation.

Both the police inquiry, Operation Resolve, and the IPCC inquiry are expected to finish in December or January, and once files are passed to prosecutors a decision on charges by the CPS is expected to follow within three to six months.

Victim's families and lawyers representing the Hillsborough Justice Campaign yesterday urged authorities to bring criminal proceedings as quickly as possible.

The families' lead lawyer, Marcia Willis-Stewart said: 'There is still a long road to travel; the recent investigations have already taken three years and we therefore now urge the authorities to conduct rigorous and speedy investigations which will lead to criminal and disciplinary proceedings and to the attribution of final and full accountability.
      THE PEOPLE AND ORGANISATIONS WHO COULD FACE CHARGES

A range of individuals and organisations could face charges over Hillsborough. Among those likely to face investigation are:

Former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, the match commander on April 15 1989.

The jurors at the inquests ruled that the 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed after being told by the coroner they could only reach that conclusion if they were satisfied that Mr Duckenfield owed a duty of care to those who died, that he was in breach of that duty of care, that his breach caused the deaths and that it amounted to 'gross negligence'.

He has already been interviewed under criminal caution. When asked at the inquests if his negligence caused the disaster, he said he would not use that word and instead classed it as an 'oversight'.
      Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (pictured last year) admitted at the inquests that he order the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium
      +13
      Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (pictured at the time) admitted at the inquests that he order the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium
      +13

Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (right, last year and, left, at the time) admitted at the inquests that he ordered the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium

South Yorkshire Police.

The jury concluded there were 'major omissions' in SYP's Operational Order for the cup tie, including no specific instructions on how the Leppings Lane terrace pens were to be filled and monitored.

No filter cordons were placed on the approach to the turnstiles and no contingency plans were made for the sudden arrival of a large number of fans.

The force's emergency response was said to have lacked co-ordination, communication, command and control.

Yorkshire Ambulance Service, formerly South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service.

Jurors said the ambulance service caused or contributed to the loss of lives by failing to ascertain the nature of the problem in the pens at Leppings Lane. It also failed to recognise and declare a major incident, leading to a delay in the emergency response.

Sheffield Wednesday FC.

The club was found by the jury to have caused or contributed to the disaster on several levels - the design, construction and layout of the stadium; its failure to update the stadium safety certificate, and its management of the stadium and preparation for the semi-final.

Numerous plans to introduce dedicated entrance ways for the pens on the Leppings Lane terraces were drawn up before the 1989 disaster but none was ever adopted. Various club officials denied at the inquests that money was the ruling factor.

Former South Yorkshire Deputy Chief Constable Peter Hayes has been accused of manipulating evidence

The FA chose Hillsborough from a shortlist of potential neutral stadiums after the ground had hosted the previous year's semi-final between the same two clubs, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The inquests heard Liverpool FC had not been satisfied with the allocation of ends and wanted it reversed.

Liverpool club secretary Peter Robinson called the FA to register his concerns about Hillsborough being used as a venue, with 23 turnstiles for 24,000 Liverpool fans and 60 turnstiles for 29,000 Forest supporters.

The police opposed the request to reverse the ends and the FA confirmed Hillsborough would stage the match.

Former Deputy Chief Constable Peter Hayes

Lawyers for the families of the 96 submitted to the inquest that senior officers, including Mr Hayes, and his superior, now deceased Chief Constable Peter Wright, were seeking to manipulate the evidence and present a false narrative of the disaster.

Mr Hayes was responsible for legal issues following the disaster and liaised with the force's insurers and lawyers as he dealt with submissions to Lord Justice Taylor's public inquiry in 1989.

He said he was not involved in the amendment of police statements and would have 'objected strenuously' to any honest, factual comments being removed.

Sir Norman Bettison was a chief inspector with South Yorkshire Police at the time of the 1989 tragedy and rose to chief constable within three years. He retired in 2012

Former Chief Superintendent Donald Denton

Mr Denton was the SYP liasion officer with West Midlands Police, which was the outside force called in to investigate SYP's role in the disaster, and passed on police statements to them.

He said he acted on laywers' advice to remove emotive language, conjecture, opinion and hearsay from police officers' statements.

At no time did he do anything which he did not believe was proper, lawful and in good faith, he told the inquests.

Former Chief Superintendent Terry Wain

Mr Wain was tasked with overseeing the preparation of a report from SYP to the Taylor Inquiry, in which ultimately SYP accepted no responsibility for the disaster.

He emphatically denied a claim from former Chief Inspector Clive Davis that he, Mr Wain, had held a briefing two days after the tragedy and said they were going to put the blame on 'drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans' and 'we're going to now go away and gather the evidence to show this'.

Sir Norman Bettison

A chief inspector at the time of the disaster who later became Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police and Merseyside Police.

He was part of Mr Wain's evidence-gathering team for the Taylor Inquiry.

He denied claims by then fellow MBA students John Barry and Mark Ellaby that he made remarks in a Sheffield pub about SYP placing the blame on 'drunken Liverpool fans'.

He said that as a professional police officer he would not have made some of the comments ascribed to him, either privately or publicly.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #200: Apr 27, 2016 04:17:35 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3561405/Prosecutions-Hillsborough-disaster-overwhelmingly-public-interest.html

South Yorkshire Police chief is suspended after MP says his position is 'untenable' following 'unlawfully killed' verdicts for Hillsborough victims [/news

Andy Burnham said the position of South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable David Crompton was now 'untenable'

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police has been suspended in the wake of a jury's damning verdicts over the Hillsborough disaster.

David Crompton's force was accused of 'retelling the same discredited lies' at the fresh inquests into the deaths of the 96 fans

It came after Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham, who has long campaigned for justice for Hillsborough victims, urged prosecutors to bring the date of a decision forward.

Demands for the prosecution of those behind the Hillsborough disaster grew today after a jury's devastating verdicts on the failures of police and other authorities.

Anger over how the 96 victims and their families have been denied justice for so long led a string of politicians to demand a criminal investigation into the tragedy be carried out as quickly as possible.

His comments came before Home Secretary Theresa May praised the Hillsborough families in the House of Commons and her Labour shadow Andy Burnham demanded the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police.

Andy Burnham called for the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, branding the force 'rotten to the core'.

Former director of public prosecutions Lord Macdonald has said bringing those behind the Hillsborough disaster before court is 'overwhelmingly in the public interest

Andy Burnham called for the resignation of the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, branding the force 'rotten to the core'. Former director of public prosecutions Lord Macdonald said bringing those behind the disaster before court is 'overwhelmingly in the public interest'

Home Secretary Theresa May made a statement to the House of Commons about the new inquests' conclusions this afternoon.

She said: 'This is not the end of the process. The decision about what proceedings can be brought forward will be made by the Crown Prosecution Service on the basis of evidence that is gathered as part of the two ongoing investigations.'

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham, who has long campaigned for justice for Hillsborough victims, urged prosecutors to bring the date of a decision forward.

Demands for further action were repeated by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn today in the House of Commons.

Speaking at Prime Minister's Question Time, he said: 'I hope the whole house will unite today in demanding that all those involved in the lies, smears and cover-ups that have so bedeviled this while inquiry will now be held to account.'

Flowers have been laid at the city's Hillsborough memorial. The city has always backed the justice campaign

Earlier today, former head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Lord MacDonald said prosecutors will consider charges of gross negligence, manslaughter, perversion of the course of justice, perjury and misconduct in a public office.

Lord MacDonald, who was DPP from 2003 to 2008, said that a decision on charges would take at least a year.

He told the BBC Radio 4 Today Programme: 'Clearly these prosecutions would overwhelmingly be in the public interest, so the real question for the Crown Prosecution Service is going to be is a conviction more likely than not in this case? If the answer is yes then charges will be authorised.'

A commemoration ceremony is to be held in Liverpool city centre later this evening, at which the names and ages of those who died in the tragedy will be read out and displayed on large screens.

South Yorkshire Police has insisted it never sought to defend its failures during the fresh inquests.

A spokesman said today: 'The intention throughout these proceedings has been to assist the jury understand the facts.

'We have never sought, at any stage, to defend the failures of South Yorkshire Police or its officers. Nevertheless, these failures had to be put into the context of other contributory factors. In other words, where do the failings of SYP stand in the overall picture?

'We are sorry if our approach has been perceived as at odds with our earlier apology, this was certainly not our intention.'

The families of the victims (pictured) were told yesterday that their relatives were unlawfully killed

On Tuesday, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton, admitted the force got the policing of the match 'catastrophically wrong' and 'unequivocally' accepted the conclusions.

But Mr Burnham has said he 'didn't make much' of the police's apology, insisting the force had resurrected its defence for the inquest and said they had put the families through 'sheer hell' by extending the length of the longest jury case in British legal history

Two huge criminal investigations are currently ongoing into the Hillsborough disaster and its aftermath.

A police probe is looking at the lead-up to the tragedy and the day of the doomed match itself, and a separate inquiry by watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) - the biggest in its history - is investigating the alleged cover-up afterwards. Hundreds of investigators have worked on both inquiries.

Police have not named any suspects, but at least eight former officers could face action, including David Duckenfield, as well as a number of individuals.

Organisations that could face prosecution include Sheffield Wednesday FC, who hosted the game, Sheffield City Council, which issued the ground's safety certificate, and the Yorkshire Ambulance Service, which was involved in the emergency response.

Both the police inquiry, Operation Resolve, and the IPCC inquiry are expected to finish in December or January, and once files are passed to prosecutors a decision on charges by the CPS is expected to follow within three to six months.

Victim's families and lawyers representing the Hillsborough Justice Campaign yesterday urged authorities to bring criminal proceedings as quickly as possible.

The families' lead lawyer, Marcia Willis-Stewart said: 'There is still a long road to travel; the recent investigations have already taken three years and we therefore now urge the authorities to conduct rigorous and speedy investigations which will lead to criminal and disciplinary proceedings and to the attribution of final and full accountability.

A range of individuals and organisations could face charges over Hillsborough. Among those likely to face investigation are:

Former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, the match commander on April 15 1989.

The jurors at the inquests ruled that the 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed after being told by the coroner they could only reach that conclusion if they were satisfied that Mr Duckenfield owed a duty of care to those who died, that he was in breach of that duty of care, that his breach caused the deaths and that it amounted to 'gross negligence'.

He has already been interviewed under criminal caution. When asked at the inquests if his negligence caused the disaster, he said he would not use that word and instead classed it as an 'oversight'.
      Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (pictured last year) admitted at the inquests that he order the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium
      +13
      Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (pictured at the time) admitted at the inquests that he order the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium
      +13

Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield (right, last year and, left, at the time) admitted at the inquests that he ordered the opening of a gate which allowed fans to stream into the stadium

South Yorkshire Police.

The jury concluded there were 'major omissions' in SYP's Operational Order for the cup tie, including no specific instructions on how the Leppings Lane terrace pens were to be filled and monitored.

No filter cordons were placed on the approach to the turnstiles and no contingency plans were made for the sudden arrival of a large number of fans.

The force's emergency response was said to have lacked co-ordination, communication, command and control.

Yorkshire Ambulance Service, formerly South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service.

Jurors said the ambulance service caused or contributed to the loss of lives by failing to ascertain the nature of the problem in the pens at Leppings Lane. It also failed to recognise and declare a major incident, leading to a delay in the emergency response.

Sheffield Wednesday FC.

The club was found by the jury to have caused or contributed to the disaster on several levels - the design, construction and layout of the stadium; its failure to update the stadium safety certificate, and its management of the stadium and preparation for the semi-final.

Numerous plans to introduce dedicated entrance ways for the pens on the Leppings Lane terraces were drawn up before the 1989 disaster but none was ever adopted. Various club officials denied at the inquests that money was the ruling factor.

Former South Yorkshire Deputy Chief Constable Peter Hayes has been accused of manipulating evidence

The FA chose Hillsborough from a shortlist of potential neutral stadiums after the ground had hosted the previous year's semi-final between the same two clubs, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The inquests heard Liverpool FC had not been satisfied with the allocation of ends and wanted it reversed.

Liverpool club secretary Peter Robinson called the FA to register his concerns about Hillsborough being used as a venue, with 23 turnstiles for 24,000 Liverpool fans and 60 turnstiles for 29,000 Forest supporters.

The police opposed the request to reverse the ends and the FA confirmed Hillsborough would stage the match.

Lawyers for the families of the 96 submitted to the inquest that senior officers, including Mr Hayes, and his superior, now deceased Chief Constable Peter Wright, were seeking to manipulate the evidence and present a false narrative of the disaster.

Mr Hayes was responsible for legal issues following the disaster and liaised with the force's insurers and lawyers as he dealt with submissions to Lord Justice Taylor's public inquiry in 1989.

He said he was not involved in the amendment of police statements and would have 'objected strenuously' to any honest, factual comments being removed.

Sir Norman Bettison was a chief inspector with South Yorkshire Police at the time of the 1989 tragedy and rose to chief constable within three years. He retired in 2012

Mr Denton was the SYP liasion officer with West Midlands Police, which was the outside force called in to investigate SYP's role in the disaster, and passed on police statements to them.

He said he acted on laywers' advice to remove emotive language, conjecture, opinion and hearsay from police officers' statements.

At no time did he do anything which he did not believe was proper, lawful and in good faith, he told the inquests.

Mr Wain was tasked with overseeing the preparation of a report from SYP to the Taylor Inquiry, in which ultimately SYP accepted no responsibility for the disaster.

He emphatically denied a claim from former Chief Inspector Clive Davis that he, Mr Wain, had held a briefing two days after the tragedy and said they were going to put the blame on 'drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans' and 'we're going to now go away and gather the evidence to show this'.

Sir Norman Bettison

A chief inspector at the time of the disaster who later became Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police and Merseyside Police.

He denied claims by then fellow MBA students John Barry and Mark Ellaby that he made remarks in a Sheffield pub about SYP placing the blame on 'drunken Liverpool fans'.

He said that as a professional police officer he would not have made some of the comments ascribed to him, either privately or publicly.

This is a start.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #201: Apr 27, 2016 04:46:25 pm
      Derby Fan in Piece xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

27 years to conclude what everybody else knew, why did it take 27 years? , the friends and families of all involved should be very proud of what they have achieved, without the pressure they exerted it would have been forgotten a long time ago, unfortunately you will never receive real justice, too many people went to the grave without knowing.

all the best for the 2016-2017 season

Thanks fella.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #202: Apr 27, 2016 05:07:23 pm

+13
      +13

South Yorkshire Police.

Sheffield Wednesday FC.

Sir Norman Bettison

Just seeing this breaking on sky news now. This is just the beginning, this cover up went right to the very top of the British establishment and no stone should be left unturned in serving justice from 1989 right through to today.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #203: Apr 27, 2016 05:18:29 pm
      Just seeing this breaking on sky news now. This is just the beginning, this cover up went right to the very top of the British establishment and no stone should be left unturned in serving justice from 1989 right through to today.

Absolutely right and agree with FMS in all that he's said above, Burnham has handled himself and his responsibilities exceptionally well and should be very proud of the work he's done in helping those verdicts get delivered yesterday. It's extremely rare for me to compliment a politician but I suppose it's extremely rare they deserve it and in this case it's thoroughly well deserved.

As for the justice about to come, can only agree with King Kenny ,there's hopefully many of the 'Establishment' who are shaking in their boots. I must admit though I remain less than optimistic that we'll ever truly discover just where the decisions were made, as others have suggested this kind of scale it must be the very top.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1596713-margaret-thatchers-football-legacy-will-forever-be-linked-to-hillsborough

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #204: Apr 27, 2016 05:25:23 pm
      Funny how the SYP website has nothing about it. The Police have lost so much public support over the years they are a broken institution and this clown has just made things even worse.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #205: Apr 27, 2016 05:51:26 pm
      " 2.15 pm the Police were in trouble they had lost control that is 45 mins before kick off.
      You need to be careful what you post and inquest of 2 years evidence has concluded you are wrong and you need to heed their findings . Ignorance is not an excuse. I have reported your post as I find it deeply offensive.."
      this is my response on an other site to someone who believes that the fans were to blame for turning up late. this is what the families have to deal with.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #206: Apr 27, 2016 05:57:09 pm
      " 2.15 pm the Police were in trouble they had lost control that is 45 mins before kick off.
      You need to be careful what you post and inquest of 2 years evidence has concluded you are wrong and you need to heed their findings . Ignorance is not an excuse. I have reported your post as I find it deeply offensive.."
      this is my response on an other site to someone who believes that the fans were to blame for turning up late. this is what the families have to deal with.

This is what pisses me off. Even in light of a formal, public and judicial review that is fully backed by the legal sphere such vile individuals still exist. Here in Scotland we have a vile pro independence blogger called Wings Over Scotland and he was, as the jury was delivering it's verdicts, continuing to spread and back the establishment lies and comments he had made 4 years ago. And the worst thing is this c**t gets retweeted by SNP politicians week in week out.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/wings-over-scotland-blogger-slammed-7845782#YiEZyoJQ6ZRbrF1y.97

Quick Reply