Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The people and the city of Liverpool

Read 15209 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The people and the city of Liverpool
      Apr 26, 2016 06:24:42 pm
      As someone who lives outside of Liverpool I feel obliged today to commend the people of that great city on how they have behaved over the last 27 years.

The families had there obvious reasons to fight and fight and fight for truth and justice. It would be easier for those who lost no family member or friend that day to give up. But by God you stood by from start to finish. While so many believed the press and had pops at the city and people of Liverpool you stayed United as a city and as a people and held your dignity.

Make no mistake the families fed off your support. Yes all us reds around the world supported and done whatever we could to help, again inspired by you the people of Liverpool. I'm sure and I hope our support helped to but it would only pale when compared to the strength shown in your support, on the doorstep. And I include the majority of blues in that.

On this poignant day step back and appreciate what YOU have done with that support shown. I know first hand what a wonderful people scousers are and what a wonderful city it is. God bless you all in that town tonight
      +12
      MsGerrard
      Re: The people and the city of Liverpool
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2016 10:31:22 pm
      Nice post Brian, as a Scouser myself, I'm very proud of all the families who have worked long and hard to get the Justice they fully deserve, at last they have some sort of closure and it's certainly about time, absolutely dispicable to make them wait for 27 long years.

RIP the 96 YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2016 12:46:35 am
      Love this.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2016 10:28:23 am
      Nice one Ian.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2016 12:44:41 pm
      Respect.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2016 12:57:23 pm
      On ya Ian nice one mate.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2016 01:15:04 pm

That's boss tha  :gt-happyup:

Total Respect.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2016 05:05:25 pm
      Unbelievable fighting spirit of the families and Liverpool people, total respect.
      RIP the 96.
      YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2016 05:38:26 pm
      I always align our city with the Basque region of Spain. We don't really fit in with being part of England we do things our own way and we don't like being told what to do. But as a friend you will never find more loyalty. We love an underdog and as Gerry Marsden once sang "we don't care what your name is boy we will never turn you away".  I spent 12 years away and had to listen to the bollox and prejudice that people had against us. Anne Taylor and Margret Aspinall are typically proud Liverpool mums they did not have two pennies to rub together but their homes were filled with love. Even last week at the Derby they sang "always the Victims its never your fault" and these are supposed to be fellow Liverpool people. I am so so proud of this city .
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2016 09:17:33 pm
      I'm from St Helens so I'm not a Scouser as such but have never been more proud to be from Merseyside, whatever words I can muster won't do what's happened this week justice so I'll keep it short.
      Heroes...those families that have fought a system, a state for 27 years when lesser people may have crumbled. The words that struck me this week were from Margaret Aspinall, all those families fought for the truth about their family members as most people would do BUT she fought for us as well, we were blamed for killing our own fans and NOW all the rest of the country or whoever doubted us can all go and f**k off it has been proved what we always knew we have NOTHING to be ashamed of the 96 were FAILED by incompetent people who now need to made accountable.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #10: Apr 28, 2016 10:02:34 am
      There is no other city like Liverpool. It's special. Our club is special. Our fans are special.

Rest in peace the 96.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #11: Apr 28, 2016 10:21:11 am
      I moved away to Uni in 1990, and whilst I still go back when I can for games, Ive been away now longer than I was there if you know what I mean.

Whilst I wasn't at the game (for once in his life, my dad who has now passed away, listened to my mum who said we couldnt really afford to go to the semi and potentially the final) , the tragic events have always been with me

I'm hopeful now, that with this cloud over the club and the city finally being lifted,with the new main stand being completed, that we will finally break the long 26 year wait for a title

It took 27 long years for justice for the 96.... odds on breaking the long 27 year wait next May for another league title...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: May 01, 2016 12:44:39 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36178259

The Blues gave a warm welcome to the relatives today at Goodison and paid a tribute to this weeks events.

A  City together .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: May 01, 2016 01:02:55 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36178259

The Blues gave a warm welcome to the relatives today at Goodison and paid a tribute to this weeks events.

A  City together .

And that is why it's the greatest city in the world!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: May 01, 2016 09:54:45 am
      Lived in Huyton and Prescot.
      Worked in Castle St and  Hackins Hey off Dales St when I left school.

Went off to the lights of London and lived not far from where BigMicks pub is  ...... not that he was there then !

After that ..... it was a case of where I didnt live.
      Expat Scally .

Ive lived in both Catalonia and the Basque country within the last ten years.

These countries have an separate mentality . Like us.

If you go onto Wikipedia we have done some amazing stuff.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool

Thatcher ripped the guts out of us when the shipping was shifted over to her South East ... Felixstowe and London roll on roll offs keeping the jobs and money there serving the EU.

We used to trade with the world from our docks. The first real multicultural city in the country followed by Bristol.

So much to be proud of.

Vote LEAVE.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: May 01, 2016 08:00:30 pm

Done me plus +
      Spot the typo spelling mistake ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 01, 2016 10:08:12 pm
      many of us have similar Stories about moving away in the early 80's.I did a bit of a tour Edinburgh,Sheffield, Cardiff and London (Wandsworth,Battersea and Chiswick) before finally getting back home in the mid 90's. The prejudice you come across when meeting people who have never even been to Liverpool is staggering but as we all know there is no place like it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: May 02, 2016 01:51:41 am
      Reading some of these have made me want to talk about my relationship with the city. Before my first visit, in 1996, that information came from my granddad (not really my granddad, but he earned the title but that story is for another time and place), he talked of a friendly place, one where his Irishness wasn't an issue, where despite his imposing presence, 6' 7", hands like shovels, he was accepted. His natural charm, the fact that, to this day, he is the nicest man I know all contributed to his getting on. To this day he describes Liverpool as his fourth favourite place in the world, which sounds low, but he has travelled and when you hear the other three, maybe some of you will understand. The three although were his childhood town, by my grandmother's side and Hong Kong, though the latter was always a partially jokey answer, work took him there and he loved he could buy suits and other clothes, made to measure, affordable, something his 6'7" frame wasn't used to in the UK.

My first visit came in 1993 . I remember the ease of getting served, not even having to use my 'fake' ID, as I was 16, a 2-2 draw with Swindon Town, not a great result, was my first Anfield experience, though not the first time seeing them live, I'd seen them in Germany and several grounds south of Birmingham, though always in the home end and knowing I had to keep my trap shut. This was the biggest thing I noticed, as I breathed in my first experience standing on the Kop, I noticed Swindon fans in with us, no violence and it was clear, be respectful and we'll tolerate you. It's something that made me fall harder for the club, something that has eroded a little in the last two decades, but I was heartened to see Dortmund fans treated the same way, in the Upper Centenary. For me, this added to the uniqueness of the club. Little things, the applauding of the opposition keeper, the, sometimes grudging, respect and acknowledgement of good play by the opposition and, last but not least, the atmosphere. Not active for 90 minutes, but it was ubiquitous, coming in waves.

I've abandoned going to away games and sitting in the home end, for the most part. I travel up to Anfield, stay over and I've been lucky. I've not, so far, had a bad experience in the city. I'm a little odd, I offer a little TMI at times, but I've always had a great time, especially meeting new people, including several on here, you know who you are. I'm an outsider, currently Bristol is where I live, but every time I hit Merseyside, I'm made to feel at home and for that, I'm eternally grateful. 
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2016 10:11:45 am by Roddenberry »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: May 02, 2016 09:04:10 am
      I was born in Birkenhead and now live in Saughall Massie on The Wirral so I'm not a scouser but run a little company on Water Street so I am there most days.

First ever experience of going to Anfield and Liverpool was a Liverpool v Watford game which was Rushie's last home game before he went off to Juve. Any other none football related memories I have of the city whilst growing up involve things like acid so I best leave those ones out eh?

Love the city, love the people, love the club.

Your wallet is safe with me, though ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #19: May 02, 2016 11:49:09 am
      Quote from eurored
      Ive lived in both Catalonia and the Basque country within the last ten years.

These countries have an separate mentality . Like us.

Thatcher ripped the guts out of us when the shipping was shifted over to her South East ... Felixstowe and London roll on roll offs keeping the jobs and money there serving the EU.

We used to trade with the world from our docks. The first real multicultural city in the country followed by Bristol.

So much to be proud of.

Vote LEAVE.

Catalonia and the Basques are not countries at all, but both part of France and Spain.

When I was over there the other week, I noticed how many projects had the noticeboard attached that they were (at least part) financed by the relevant "EU Development Fund".

Personally, I think the Yes/Remain campaign will win the UK Referendum by a landslide, as the reality of what is left in the wallet usually triumphs over idealism, but if it didn't, I wonder how many other projects could be funded without Brussels helping out. Not everywhere in the UK is as wealthy as the South East.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: May 02, 2016 12:12:02 pm
      I wonder how many other projects could be funded without Brussels helping out

Probably quite a lot considering how much we give them in the first place.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: May 02, 2016 12:16:44 pm

Not around here debs, a lot of stuff wouldn't have happened without money from Brussels.

Majority of the projects on Merseyside funded by the EU certainly would not have been funded by OUR government, put it that way.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: May 02, 2016 12:19:35 pm

I don't think he has grasped the concept it was our money in the first place.
      https://youtu.be/08083BNaYcA
      I think this is the best song ever for getting a feel for the City

Quick Reply