Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      8 (9.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      21 (23.9%)
      Joe Allen
      33 (37.5%)
      James Milner
      9 (10.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: May 01, 2016 10:00:21 pm

Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates

Read 40858 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,556 posts | 728 
      Re: Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates
      Reply #713: Apr 29, 2016 07:11:17 pm
      0-0 would have been a good away result.

Now we have to win.

I feel like subs and missed chances are irrelevant when you look at the basic goal we gave away and poor defending in the 92ND minute of the match
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #714: Apr 29, 2016 07:12:30 pm
      Moreno's "chance" was neither here nor there. When you've got to sprint half the length of the pitch with a defender biting at your heels before trying a snapshot on the run you're up against it.

Defensively though and specifically positionally he is a disaster waiting to happen. I cannot imagine what's going through his head when with two minutes of stoppage time remaining and the scores at 0-0 he goes haring off out of position to try and win a tackle. Surely at some point if he is too thick to work it out for himself someobody has got to say "Alberto, just sit in and hold until the fella with the whistle blows it for the end of the game". I can't be THAT hard, can it?

I need to look at his mistake again because it seems he did some catastrophic stuff at the end by all accounts.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #715: Apr 29, 2016 07:14:33 pm
      Its clear Origi is a Klopp type of player runs all day for the team takes the pressure off in away games and scores goals. That isn't Danny is it. However  I think we will see him start on Thursday and if we get to the final because we have to win those games.
      I think that Klopp knows we will beat V'real at Anfield and by bring on Benteke and Ibe he was merely trying to get both game time and fitness should we need them.... Sturrigde Will start next Thursday 3-1 home win
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #716: Apr 29, 2016 07:15:35 pm
      I need to look at his mistake again because it seems he did some catastrophic stuff at the end by all accounts.

He came in off his line into the centre circle chasing the ball player and got bypassed leaving an acre of space which was ruthlessly exploited.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #717: Apr 29, 2016 07:19:15 pm
      F**k me people have it out for Alberto don't they. Saying he should have been more composed in front of goal. I didn't see anyone else getting to that position, no one else has the pace to get there and then judging a left back on his finishing of a tough chance is more than harsh.

Fair enough talk about defensively but going on about the very difficult chance he made himself is too far I think.
      plenty of left-backs in the premier league would at very least have worked the goal keeper...I would have expected no less from him
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #718: Apr 29, 2016 07:26:17 pm
      He came in off his line into the centre circle chasing the ball player and got bypassed leaving an acre of space which was ruthlessly exploited.

I switched off mentally at that point, thought the game was over, seems that he did too apparently.

Looks bad actually, he didn't even try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfEiO8M_Bqk

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,556 posts | 728 
      Reply #719: Apr 29, 2016 08:05:09 pm
      I switched off mentally at that point, thought the game was over, seems that he did too apparently.

Looks bad actually, he didn't even try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfEiO8M_Bqk

is that lovren and moreno strolling back? ;D what happend to morenos pace?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #720: Apr 29, 2016 08:10:24 pm
      plenty of left-backs in the premier league would at very least have worked the goal keeper...I would have expected no less from him

Incorrect.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #721: Apr 29, 2016 08:16:05 pm
      is that lovren and moreno strolling back? ;D what happend to morenos pace?

Lovren was picking up the centre forward mate. Though he could hardly be expected to do it as a matter of course, he COULD probably have gambled and just gone for a balls or bust move and picked up the guy coming through. Moreno though was nowhere to be seen either for the initial through ball or the final slide in for the goal. I said earlier that he has easily enough pace to have an impact on what is happening, but he just takes a bit of time to switch onto it.

Lucas too is left completely bypassed, and why we can't seem to grasp this idea that sometimes you need to sit in (with your holder being RIGHT IN FRONT of the back four rather than 40 yards ahead of them) is a complete and utter mystery to me. I just don't get it at all, nor does Allen cover himself in glory either, languishing 20 yards behind what's going on.

Also as an edit, all this is clearly not happening at the behest of the manager. In his immediate aftermatch interview he comments on Moreno's absense, saying "obviously it's not good". 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #722: Apr 29, 2016 08:19:50 pm
      They're just better than us.  Their passing is much crisper, they don't give the ball away stupidly like we do, technically and tactically they're just a lot further ahead in their development as a team than we are.

That doesn't mean we can't go through.  I think we'd all agree that Dortmund are a lot better than we are, yet we managed to get by them.  Maybe we'll do the same against Villarreal.

But I don't really think it's the end of the world if we don't.  If we don't have CL next season, we will see this summer who really is committed to being here, both in terms of current players and incoming transfers.  Does Götze really want to come because of Klopp and because we're Liverpool?  or is he just wanting CL football?  does Coutinho want to stay long term?  etc etc.

Considering how much more competitive the league is getting and add to that the fact the Premier League could lose its 4th spot in the CL in the upcoming seasons, it's more and more important to get players at the club who are in it for the long term.  What if we have CL next season, but then lose it the season after that?   will they all jump ship?  if so, we're right back where we started.

So it won't be the end of the world if we don't go through.  It'll give Klopp the chance to really see who's in it with him and who's not.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #723: Apr 29, 2016 08:25:57 pm
      Its clear Origi is a Klopp type of player runs all day for the team takes the pressure off in away games and scores goals. That isn't Danny is it. However  I think we will see him start on Thursday and if we get to the final because we have to win those games.

Pressing isn't the be-all and end-all though is it? Danny's movement drags defenders all over the place which opens up space for other players to operate in and forces them into errors. It accomplishes the same thing as pressing, it just does so in a different manner. Klopp gambled on keeping it tight and nicking a goal and it didn't work, it backfired, and I'm sure he'd privately admit that himself.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #724: Apr 29, 2016 08:34:23 pm
      They're just better than us.  Their passing is much crisper, they don't give the ball away stupidly like we do, technically and tactically they're just a lot further ahead in their development as a team than we are.

That doesn't mean we can't go through.  I think we'd all agree that Dortmund are a lot better than we are, yet we managed to get by them.  Maybe we'll do the same against Villarreal.

But I don't really think it's the end of the world if we don't. That's just your typical look at the world through doom laden glasses showing yet again. If we don't have CL next season, we will see this summer who really is committed to being here, both in terms of current players and incoming transfers.  Does Götze really want to come because of Klopp and because we're Liverpool?  or is he just wanting CL football?  does Coutinho want to stay long term?  etc etc.

Considering how much more competitive the league is getting and add to that the fact the Premier League could lose its 4th spot in the CL in the upcoming seasons, it's more and more important to get players at the club who are in it for the long term.  What if we have CL next season, but then lose it the season after that?   will they all jump ship?  if so, we're right back where we started.

So it won't be the end of the world if we don't go through.  It'll give Klopp the chance to really see who's in it with him and who's not.

They're not better than us. Whatever happens in this tie, Villarreal are not a better team than us. With a full strength squad yesterday we would have beaten them by two goals I think. With a side that has had a large portion of the spine stripped out in recent weeks (Origi, Can and Sakho) we still came out of last night feeling aggrieved that we lost to them.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #725: Apr 29, 2016 08:40:15 pm
      They're not better than us. Whatever happens in this tie, Villarreal are not a better team than us. With a full strength squad yesterday we would have beaten them by two goals I think. With a side that has had a large portion of the spine stripped out in recent weeks (Origi, Can and Sakho) we still came out of last night feeling aggrieved that we lost to them.

Well, yes, with a full strength squad I think we could beat them.  If we had Can, Origi or Sturridge starting, Coutinho fully fit (apparently he was sick last night) then I think we'd be better than them both on paper and on the pitch. 

But did you not see how much more tactically astute they were compared to us?  I kept noticing how we would press one of their players in numbers, with three of our lads going at one of theirs, and then he would pass the ball to someone else and suddenly they had a player in the middle of the pitch with no one around him for twenty yards, because three of ours had all gone to close down one attacker.  It just seemed very naive.  They beat our press so easily and it gave them all the time in the world to do whatever they wanted.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #726: Apr 29, 2016 10:13:18 pm
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #727: Apr 29, 2016 11:10:06 pm
      what i love about forums. Despite the fact that i clearly said i only saw clips and didn't see the whole game.

Rather than talk about the main point of the comment. people would rather point out minor irrelevant errors that have nothing to do with the overall topic at hand. Bravo

What I love about forums is people who don't even watch the whole match posting about sh*t that happened without the context of the entire game and then getting sour when they get called on their uninformed drivel. Bravo.

paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #728: Apr 30, 2016 01:43:32 am

But I don't really think it's the end of the world if we don't.  If we don't have CL next season, we will see this summer who really is committed to being here, both in terms of current players and incoming transfers.  Does Götze really want to come because of Klopp and because we're Liverpool?  or is he just wanting CL football?  does Coutinho want to stay long term?  etc etc.

If they are better than us development wise then it's only by a nat's whisker.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #729: Apr 30, 2016 07:57:44 am
      Moreno was out of position when he had his chance but no one would of complained if he had scored thats the way he is . Klopp has seen enough of him to know this but still picks him so either put up or shut up.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #730: Apr 30, 2016 08:32:25 am

Worth noting that Liverpool and Man City's performances in Europe have secured the 2018/19 and helped garner a buffer of 1.577 points, for the 2018/19 season, something that Italy have only achieved once in the last 15 years. It's still dodgy for the 2019/20 season, largely because of the 2014/15 season, in which Italy scored a whopping 5.429 points more than us, but that will also be the last time that large difference can affect their coefficient.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #731: Apr 30, 2016 01:22:31 pm
      Leighton Baines (Everton) Aleksandar Kolarov (City) Jan Vertonghen (Spur: Left back by trade) Luke Shaw (Utd) to name but a few; who will all work the keeper more than Moreno
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #732: Apr 30, 2016 02:34:06 pm
      Leighton Baines (Everton) Aleksandar Kolarov (City) Jan Vertonghen (Spur: Left back by trade) Luke Shaw (Utd) to name but a few; who will all work the keeper more than Moreno

None of those players have anywhere near the pace to get near that chance to start with, they would have been caught and never even got the shot away. Even after that I'm not convinced any of them would have scored or worked the keeper, look at the chance again.

And for the record your ignorance about thinking Vertonghen as a left back by trade shows how little you know about this.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 488 
      Reply #733: Apr 30, 2016 04:12:53 pm
      Luke Shaw?  :o

F**k sakes, get a grip on what you are saying, or you hold a grudge against the name "Moreno"?

I doubt the fullbacks you've listed would even reach their box with a man pressuring beside them.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #734: Apr 30, 2016 06:43:20 pm

Bullshitt.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,172 posts | 524 
      Reply #735: Apr 30, 2016 09:26:32 pm

You are talking out of your arse fella ffs.

Quick Reply