Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      17 (20.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.6%)
      Kolo Toure
      26 (31%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      5 (6%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (4.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.2%)
      Wee Joe Allen
      7 (8.3%)
      Christian Benteke
      7 (8.3%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      3 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: May 14, 2016 10:08:24 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30799 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: May 11, 2016 11:18:39 pm
      Fair result on the whole, although disappointed, I was going to go for a 1 1 draw, in the prediction league, but instead went for a 1 0 win for the Reds. Still nice to see the never say die attitude instilled into the team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #415: May 11, 2016 11:26:12 pm
      There are quite a lot of younger, better paid players at Liverpool who have a lot more bad games than Kolo does.

I agree.  I'd keep him for another year.  I'm assuming that with Gomez returning and Matip coming in it looked like his chances would be a lot less limited next year - but then we have now got the Sakho issue and big question marks over Skrtel.

Gomez. Forgot all about him and Klopp likes him i remember hearing.

Blessing in disguise tonight mark my words. I'd rather that side played sh*te tonight than next week. It's out the way now.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #416: May 11, 2016 11:28:37 pm
      Gomez. Forgot all about him and Klopp likes him i remember hearing.

Blessing in disguise tonight mark my words. I'd rather that side played sh*te tonight than next week. It's out the way now.

After the match Klopp probably told them they played like sh*te and if they do it next week they can find they're own way back home.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #417: May 11, 2016 11:30:37 pm
      Couts has been a bit off since he came off at halftime with that illness a few weeks ago...good they got to stretch the legs and got out with no injuries.

Even though a win would have been nice, this was always the top priority.  European footie is practically guaranteed thanks to Utd shitting the bed yesterday. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #418: May 12, 2016 01:11:19 am
      Ah okay, what position(s) does he play? As for the hype about getting a winger, I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Brunt was raved about on here by some....

Only watch the Ligue 1 highlights show but he's always been a striker when i watch it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #419: May 12, 2016 06:20:42 am
      Bit of a dull affair to be honest and you could clearly see the commitment level of the lads wasn't up to our usual standards. Sure we started off with plenty of gusto but it's no surprise when it came to the proper challenges and putting your body on the line a few of our lads were in a bit of self preservation. No matter how hard you might try to not think about the final looming I think it's virtually impossible to not allow it to influence a few of your decisions.

1-1 Probably a fair result even though we had a large advantage in terms of possession/shots/corners. As Jürgen said in his post match interview we were shooting at the wrong time when passing was clearly the right option. For example Lovren shooting from 30 yards out when Sturridge is in a good position on the back stick is just daft, you could see Sturridge's reaction but not just that if he doesn't hit it over then the counter is on so he basically has to ensure he either hits it over or scores which almost always happens with defenders in these situations. Coutinho, again, was our worst offender, he had a couple of opportunities where the shot was the right option but the lad must have the most shots taken in the league per minute played it's a bit silly now. Has to learn when the shot is the right choice because as a creative player if you've got a half chance to shoot then you've probably got a very good chance to make a telling pass and I'd love him to move towards this because that's what I think is actually his best talent.

Migs: Actually had one of his better matches for us, despite going wandering on Traore's chance (which was pretty hilarious) he pulled off some good saves and could little for their goal: 7

Clyne: Think Nat needs to work heavily on his crossing/offensive contribution, as a defender he's aware, he's solid and dependable but if he wants to take his game to the next level then it simply has to be his focus. Unless we bring in a pair of wingers (which I doubt) then he is going to be given the same amount of space and time next season and he has to present himself as a threat more or defenders will be too happy to sit off him and allow him to just surrender possession or not hurt. The moment that changes and he becomes a real threat is when spaces will be easier to create: 6.5

Lovren: Poor choices in pressing, passing and didn't close down Hazard enough for his goal (like the rest of them on that). He turned it around no problem against Villarreal so I hope his mind wasn't in the game too well again: 6

Kolo: Our better centre half on the night, although did miss a top chance about 6 yards, could see in his reaction what it meant though and deserves a new contract. Would much prefer him as an option from the bench than Skrtel and I also think he's be much happier/helpful in the dressing room and in and around the place: 7

Moreno: A couple of cracking recoveries that not many players in the league could pull off but has a lot of work to do in the close season, I hope some competition (either Gomez or new arrival) comes in the summer to spur him on. If he could elevate his game a couple of levels and find a brain he's got some fantastic natural abilities but they need harnessing: 6

Can: Nowhere near as dominant as against Villarreal and I think he was one of the players allowing himself a little rest and recovery if I'm honest. His aggression wasn't on the same level and once you allow that to slip the determination dips with it: 6

Milner: Partly what I expected and was happy not to see against Villarreal, he did allow himself to expose the middle too much and was the man who should have been marshaling Hazard (I believe), didn't have a good night in that respect and overall didn't have the best of influences: 6

Lallana: Should have scored a couple, has a terrible weak shot and must do something about it in the summer if he wants to retain his place in the starting XI. I think a squad place is quite secure for him though and that's a step up the ladder where I saw him a few months ago: 5.5

Firmino: Thought he should have done better with his break-away chance, could see he thought Matic was going to get the challenge in but in truth he'd got far enough ahead that only a penalty would have stopped him. Offered most out of our 3 attacking midfielders and was a constant thorn in their sides. Guilty of surrendering possession cheaply on a couple of occasions which is too often the case (although very often wins it straight back): 6.5

Coutinho: Was back in shoot on sight mode, not good enough in the decision making department that and must apply his massive talents better. We had the chances and the runners when the ball was at his feet for him to rip open this game and it frustrates me so much to see him smash it into defenders legs so often when he has such finesse in the pass: 6

Sturridge: After another promising opening 15-20 mins he went missing and cut a frustrated figure. To be fair to him the service was pretty poor but he mustn't let his head drop just because we're not ahead in the opening burst. Perhaps he was just another that was gearing it down a notch in anticipation for the final, I guess only he'll know. Missed a glorious chance to get back on level terms after good work from Firmino and Lallana: 6

Allen: Again made a difference from the bench and has to be close to being offered a new contract.

Benteke: Also made a difference with his goal, wont get many easier but right place, right time is one of the arts of a striker so well in.

Ojo: Cracking cross, people will blame the keeper but the whip on that was delicious, hit with proper pace about it. Mentioned in a different match how well he strikes corners too and I just see a huge future for this lad. Mcarz highlighted the stats earlier in the thread but it's not just appearances if you did assists per minute played then it's even more impressive. Think he'll get more and more time with us and has all the hallmarks of a first team player, not too far off pushing for a place right here and now and most certainly see why Ibe has been pushed down a notch. Keep on working hard Sheyi! Top stuff.

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #420: May 12, 2016 08:16:15 am
      Watching their keeper last night must be how every other team sees us when a high ball is played into the box!

Nicked a point, no injuries, play a completely different 11 against West Brom.

One major gripe is we brought Benteke on and didn't really cross the ball into the box when we had good opportunity to do so and utilise a different approach.

Still all about next week now that's all that matters.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #421: May 12, 2016 08:16:32 am
      The way we attacked in the first 15 minutes or so I thought we were going to give Chelsea a hiding.We eased off and they came right back at us.One thing I must comment on is the never say die effort the squad have as was evident in the last minute goal by Benteke.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #422: May 12, 2016 08:52:50 am
      Agree with Luke thought our boys most definitely had their minds on next week, I can understand that particular when there wasn't a lot to play for,
      I would have been pissed off if we were chasing the title or  CL spot of coarse but anyhoo I'm relieved we all got through unscathed,
      I suppose a draw was fairy muff considering.

Incidentally, given that Hazard isn't at all amoured at Chavs do you think his performance last night was a 'come and get me Jürgen '
      maybe he don't fancy another season with that f***in lot and recognises that we are on the up and offer a more successful future,
      Just saying like    :f_tongueincheek:

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #423: May 12, 2016 08:58:54 am
      The way we attacked in the first 15 minutes or so I thought we were going to give Chelsea a hiding.We eased off and they came right back at us.One thing I must comment on is the never say die effort the squad have as was evident in the last minute goal by Benteke.

same here I thought it was going to be a cricket score we looked in a different league to them .Pleased for Benteke he will be a useful man to have on the bench next week.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #424: May 12, 2016 09:01:49 am
      We played without intensity and I do not microscope this performance because many players played safe for next week and I think they did decently.

Well done Ojo for the assist and Benteke for putting it in the net.

I think Hazard was allowed to enter in the box to easily. Flanagan would have smashed him :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #425: May 12, 2016 09:05:23 am
      same here I thought it was going to be a cricket score we looked in a different league to them .Pleased for Benteke he will be a useful man to have on the bench next week.

That will depend on the fitness & health of Divock mate, it's possible he could have minutes against the baggies to shake off some rust, it's doubtful but there is a chance.

YNWA
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #426: May 12, 2016 09:11:10 am
      Not the best performance, but a result nonetheless.
      I thought Hazard was top class last night and the clear difference between the 2 sides.

I gave MOTM to Mignolet, thought he had a good game and so did Kolo. The rest were playing too individualistic and not moving the ball around quickly enough. Chelsea basically closed down all the spaces as soon as we broke forward and instead of playing earlier or direct, our players decided to hold onto the ball too long.

At least Chelsea were competitive and would have given the first 11 a good run out before the final.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #427: May 12, 2016 09:47:57 am
      Made me chuckle about the Hazard "wonder goal". From where I was watching, I didn't see one tackle go in on him. Pretty easy to score when you're allowed to!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #428: May 12, 2016 11:03:36 am
      A fairly lacklustre performance and barring some minor miracles on Sunday we will have to beat Sevilla to get European football next season but then that's been the goal anyway for the last few weeks.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #429: May 12, 2016 11:06:53 am
      Bit of a disappointing performance from us last night, I thought for most of the game we were 'schooled' by Chelsea.

I was happy when I saw the team because in my opinion its our strongest side apart from Sakho in for Toure. I think that team will start in Basel so it was a bit of a test for them being up against a very good side despite their league position.

We started brightly but stepped off the gas quite soon afterwards. Chelsea grew into the game and there was a period in the first half where we literally couldn't get the ball off them for a couple of minutes. They deservedly went 1-0 up and admittedly, it was a great goal by Hazard who ran the show for 90 minutes to be honest.

The second half we saw more of the ball and looked more of a threat but we didn't create anything too clear cut. They still had the better chances I thought and Migs made a couple of very good stops - I gave him motm.  I was made up we scored a late equaliser because I can't f**king stand Chelsea but it was  a bit of a flukey goal.

So to summarise we weren't at our best last night  and my honest opinion is that I felt Chelsea were the better team. I think our lads were a little bit worried about picking up possible injuries, which is obviously understandable. I'm sure Jürgen would have told them before kick off to be careful and to not worry too much of the outcome of the game.

Mignolet - Motm for me, made some very good stops, don't remember him making any faults which is unusual for him! Well played.

Clyne - Defended well but offers very little going forward. Say the same every week about him.

Lovren - Played ok for the most part but a couple of stray passes which were awful! A lad behind me shouted 'Lovrens back!' when he passed the ball out of play which had a couple of us giggling.

Toure - Played very well and defended superbly. A close contender for motm.

Moreno - Always has a rash tackle in him but I thought he got forward and hogged the touch line very well last night.

Can - Wasn't his best game, sloppy.

Milner - Slightly better than Emre but again, wasn't his best game.

Lallana - Poor. Continuously slowed our attacks down with those stupid turns he always does. Couple of times he should have shot but instead went for the pass and vice versa. Sometimes I think this lad is just thick.

Coutinho - Always looking to get on the ball and make something happen but struggled to unlock Chelseas defence.

Firmino - He works very hard off the ball, couple of nice bits of play, but not involved enough to stamp any kind of authority.

Sturridge - Wasteful. The Chelsea fans were signing 'Chelsea reject' and he reacted to them. They had clearly got inside his head because his shooting and passing was mostly awful.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #430: May 12, 2016 11:17:50 am
      Made me chuckle about the Hazard "wonder goal". From where I was watching, I didn't see one tackle go in on him. Pretty easy to score when you're allowed to!

True - he was moving away from our goal at one point.  It was a fine finish but he should never have got that far.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #431: May 12, 2016 11:39:43 am
      Kenedy is a lucky boy Jesus Allen didn't turn him in to loaves and fishes.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #432: May 12, 2016 11:49:31 am
      Fans not allowed to take their seats home with them last night - builders allowed to come in and just start 'removing' them.

The people's game.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #433: May 12, 2016 11:54:24 am
      Fans not allowed to take their seats home with them last night - builders allowed to come in and just start 'removing' them.

The people's game.

It's stupid. Absolute pointless. They certainly didn't hang about did they.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #434: May 12, 2016 11:56:11 am

Apparently these Stormtroopers were on the pitch before the match dancing to Gangam Style.

Seems normal.

Best thing on the pitch last night and gave their all - well apart from Kolo!! And wasn't just Gangam Style they were dancing too. Thought Sturridge might have got the chance to join in.

Okay I was a bit narked Darth Vader didn't turn up   :f_steam:

Our lot were definitely trying to avoid injury last night.

Yeah they were on at half time.  They were off Britain's Got Talent or something like that.  Not sure what the connection was with us though.

Think because they're a local dance troupe and we didn't have any of partners who wanted to do any of their stupid half-time games or giveaways.

The people's game.

I honestly thought we were keeping the wooden seats, that's why they were getting arsey about fans taking them!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #435: May 12, 2016 12:03:08 pm
      I honestly thought we were keeping the wooden seats, that's why they were getting arsey about fans taking them!

Selling the wood to Goodison.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #436: May 12, 2016 12:13:34 pm
      Selling the wood to Goodison.

Hahaha

Honestly thought I'd seen some blurb a while ago when selling some of the corporate packages - we're they mentioned something along the lines of "old style seating"

Anyone got any idea what the clapping for "stand up for the 96" near the end of the first half was for? No doubt sensing an opportunity to get the crowd going and boast to their mates, some try-hard got "stand up for the 96" going at the back of the kop. It's so crass. Yet everyone joined in the clapping like absolute sheep.

Needs knocking on the head.

Quick Reply