Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Loris Karius (1. FSV Mainz 05)

Read 15503 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Loris Karius (1. FSV Mainz 05)
      May 16, 2016 04:08:45 pm
      Report: Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius ā€˜agrees termsā€™ with Liverpool
      Karius was rumoured to have jumped up Kloppā€™s list of priorities last week, with talkaloadofbull.comā€™s Melissa Reddy revealing that the 22-year-old was a ā€œpremier targetā€ ahead of the transfer window.

Now as the Reds look to add to their squad with the signing of Piotr Zielinski this week, Karius is believed to have agreed terms for a summer move.

According to reliable German outlet Kicker, Karius will now ā€œalmost certainlyā€ leave Mainz this summer, and will arrive on Merseyside as Kloppā€™s new No. 1.

This would see Karius take over from current first-choice goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who has endured a hit-and-miss campaign in 2015/16.

Karius signed a new contract with Mainz in January of last year, but agreed a release clause of around Ā£8 million with his current employer.

This would allow Liverpool to trigger his transfer without requiring negotiation with Kloppā€™s former club.

Along with potential signing Zielinski, Karius could join fellow new recruits Marko Grujic and Joel Matip, with Bayern Munich attacker Mario Gotze and Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell also heavily linked with moves to Merseyside.

Klopp is seemingly wasting no time in altering his squad ahead of his first full season in charge at Anfield, with Jordan Rossiter and Jose Enrique both already having left the club.

Youngsters Daniel Cleary and Alex Oā€™Hanlon have also departed, with Daniel Trickett-Smith, Jerome Sinclair and Joao Carlos Teixeira soon to follow.

Martin Skrtel is likely among those to have played his last game for the club, waving an emotional farewell to the travelling Kop following Sundayā€™s 1-1 draw with West Brom.

Linked for a while to this lad. Big German fella who i have no idea about but rated highly.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Loris Karius (1. FSV Mainz 05)
      Reply #1: May 16, 2016 04:13:41 pm
      Report: Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius ā€˜agrees termsā€™ with Liverpool
      Karius was rumoured to have jumped up Kloppā€™s list of priorities last week, with talkaloadofbull.comā€™s Melissa Reddy revealing that the 22-year-old was a ā€œpremier targetā€ ahead of the transfer window.

Now as the Reds look to add to their squad with the signing of Piotr Zielinski this week, Karius is believed to have agreed terms for a summer move.

According to reliable German outlet Kicker, Karius will now ā€œalmost certainlyā€ leave Mainz this summer, and will arrive on Merseyside as Kloppā€™s new No. 1.

This would see Karius take over from current first-choice goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who has endured a hit-and-miss campaign in 2015/16.

Karius signed a new contract with Mainz in January of last year, but agreed a release clause of around Ā£8 million with his current employer.

This would allow Liverpool to trigger his transfer without requiring negotiation with Kloppā€™s former club.

Along with potential signing Zielinski, Karius could join fellow new recruits Marko Grujic and Joel Matip, with Bayern Munich attacker Mario Gotze and Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell also heavily linked with moves to Merseyside.

Klopp is seemingly wasting no time in altering his squad ahead of his first full season in charge at Anfield, with Jordan Rossiter and Jose Enrique both already having left the club.

Youngsters Daniel Cleary and Alex Oā€™Hanlon have also departed, with Daniel Trickett-Smith, Jerome Sinclair and Joao Carlos Teixeira soon to follow.

Martin Skrtel is likely among those to have played his last game for the club, waving an emotional farewell to the travelling Kop following Sundayā€™s 1-1 draw with West Brom.

Linked for a while to this lad. Big German fella who i have no idea about but rated highly.

Pffft! I knew of him when he was just a twinkle in his local milkman's eye!

In your face Crouchie!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: May 16, 2016 04:27:43 pm
      Just read a couple of 'performance' reviews about the lad. Looks like he is an excellent distributor and shot stopper, does well in crosses but punches away rather than catching!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: May 16, 2016 04:34:40 pm
      Just read a couple of 'performance' reviews about the lad. Looks like he is an excellent distributor and shot stopper, does well in crosses but punches away rather than catching!

The tendency to punch must be something that younger keepers do, we need to get rid of the keeper coach before we poison another keeper.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4: May 16, 2016 04:36:04 pm
      Emre won't be impressed this Karius lad is an even bigger German hunk :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: May 16, 2016 08:52:08 pm
      According to wiki-diki he plays for us, but hasn't scored yet  ;D he was born 22 June '93', he's 22 yrs old, he's 1.9m or 6'3 in old money, he was actually at shitty for two yrs from '09' to '11' but preferred Alpecin to head n shoulders and returned to Mainz 05 ressies making 22 apps, he made his full debut for Mainz 05 on 1st December '12', and played 84 times, not much else to say in fact there's F**k all else,

JĆ¼rgen must rate him higher than Migs obviously so will interesting to see if Migs fights it out or fucks off, my money is on the lather......see what I did there ?

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: May 16, 2016 08:56:32 pm
      Bit of a cutie isn't he  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2016 09:06:40 pm
      Is Kicker reliable? If so I would have rather this news waiting 3 more days.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #8: May 16, 2016 09:10:43 pm
      Is Kicker reliable? If so I would have rather this news waiting 3 more days.

Makes no sense to undermine Mignolet's confidence even further ahead of the final.

Just be patient.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #9: May 16, 2016 10:03:24 pm
      James Pearce reporting that we're closing in on a deal for him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: May 16, 2016 10:12:51 pm
      Following on from what Barney said...

Liverpool swoop for former Man City goalkeeper

20:15, 16 MAY 2016                  UPDATED 20:29, 16 MAY 2016                     BY JAMES PEARCE

Liverpool are closing in on a Ā£4.7million deal for Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius.

No deal has yet been agreed but the talks are ongoing and the Reds are confident of securing the services of the Germany Under-21s international.

Boss JĆ¼rgen Klopp is a big admirer of the 22-year-old, who has already clocked up some 91 appearances for the Bundesliga outfit.

Liverpool have had Karius watched extensively this season and Klopp believes the 6ft 3ins shot-stopper is the ideal recruit to provide greater competition for Anfield No 1 Simon Mignolet.

The Reds signed Adam Bogdan on a free transfer a year ago but the Hungary international is expected to leave the club this summer having struggled to impress.

Danny Ward, who was recalled from a loan spell at Aberdeen in January, has shone on his two senior outings and does have a future with Liverpool.

Danny Ward of Liverpool during a Premier League match between Swansea City and Liverpool at the Liberty Stadium on May 01, 2016 in Swansea, Wales. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
      However, the Wales international could go out on loan again next term to gain further experience with Huddersfield Town keen to take him on a temporary deal.

Klopp has close ties with Mainz having managed the club from 2001 to 2008 before taking over at Borussia Dortmund.

Karius is no stranger to English football having spent two years in Manchester Cityā€™s youth ranks before leaving at the age of 17 in 2011.

He returned to his homeland, progressed through the ranks at Mainz and has proved himself to be one of the most consistent keepers in the Bundesliga. This season he helped them secure Europa League qualification via a sixth-placed finish.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-swoop-former-man-city-11341802

I've seen some people say he needs to work on his hands and his catching and even looking at basic YouTube videos that is clear to see. It's one of the issues I had with Timo Horn. Hopefully it's something that can be worked on and he can improve. He's still only 22/23 so there's plenty of time yet.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: May 16, 2016 10:50:11 pm

If he performs like Migs has you would have missed a N out Debs ?  ;)

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: May 16, 2016 10:55:00 pm

If he performs like Migs has you would have missed a N out Debs ?  ;)

YNWA

:lmao:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: May 16, 2016 11:06:35 pm

prefer him to having the (Timo) Horn ?
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #14: May 16, 2016 11:07:17 pm
      Scouted him on youtube. He is world class. End of.

:f_whistle:

But for real, if Klopp likes the kid, I am fine with this deal. Not a lot can go wrong for a 4.7M deal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: May 16, 2016 11:07:41 pm
      Horns are no good without the looks mate  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: May 16, 2016 11:40:57 pm
      Following on from what Barney said...

Liverpool swoop for former Man City goalkeeper

20:15, 16 MAY 2016                  UPDATED 20:29, 16 MAY 2016                     BY JAMES PEARCE

Liverpool are closing in on a Ā£4.7million deal for Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius.

No deal has yet been agreed but the talks are ongoing and the Reds are confident of securing the services of the Germany Under-21s international.

Boss JĆ¼rgen Klopp is a big admirer of the 22-year-old, who has already clocked up some 91 appearances for the Bundesliga outfit.

Liverpool have had Karius watched extensively this season and Klopp believes the 6ft 3ins shot-stopper is the ideal recruit to provide greater competition for Anfield No 1 Simon Mignolet.

The Reds signed Adam Bogdan on a free transfer a year ago but the Hungary international is expected to leave the club this summer having struggled to impress.

Danny Ward, who was recalled from a loan spell at Aberdeen in January, has shone on his two senior outings and does have a future with Liverpool.

Danny Ward of Liverpool during a Premier League match between Swansea City and Liverpool at the Liberty Stadium on May 01, 2016 in Swansea, Wales. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
      However, the Wales international could go out on loan again next term to gain further experience with Huddersfield Town keen to take him on a temporary deal.

Klopp has close ties with Mainz having managed the club from 2001 to 2008 before taking over at Borussia Dortmund.

Karius is no stranger to English football having spent two years in Manchester Cityā€™s youth ranks before leaving at the age of 17 in 2011.

He returned to his homeland, progressed through the ranks at Mainz and has proved himself to be one of the most consistent keepers in the Bundesliga. This season he helped them secure Europa League qualification via a sixth-placed finish.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-swoop-former-man-city-11341802

I've seen some people say he needs to work on his hands and his catching and even looking at basic YouTube videos that is clear to see. It's one of the issues I had with Timo Horn. Hopefully it's something that can be worked on and he can improve. He's still only 22/23 so there's plenty of time yet.

As you said above mate if we're actually bringing this lad in it might pay to also look at changing the coach too. It surely can't be a coincidence that the keepers we had since Valero left have all seemed to decline in standard and none shown any progress in any area of goal keeping.

Clearly JĆ¼rgen's call on this one if we're shopping back at Mainz so I'm happy enough knowing he is getting what he wants.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: May 16, 2016 11:44:39 pm
      All of his videos look like he has feet for hands. Of course that's only videos but they're meant to make me look like Messi etc.

Ā£4.7m. Can't go wrong though. If he makes it, we have a gem. If not, he goes elsewhere for that price. And if JĆ¼rgen wants him, I'm all on board. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: May 16, 2016 11:53:36 pm
      All of his videos look like he has feet for hands. Of course that's only videos but they're meant to make me look like Messi etc.

Ā£4.7m. Can't go wrong though. If he makes it, we have a gem. If not, he goes elsewhere for that price. And if JĆ¼rgen wants him, I'm all on board. 

Considering he has something like a Ā£8m release clause I agree that Ā£4.7m is a good price. I laughed to myself at the "has feet for hands" comment :D
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #19: May 17, 2016 12:11:29 am

Feet for hands, that made me laugh.

I just did some 'scouting' and noticed that too. But at least he saved shots on target... so an improvement on Simon.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: May 17, 2016 12:19:15 am
      Bayern & Germany ā€@iMiaSanMia  5m5 minutes ago
      GKs with best save % in the Bundesliga:

1- Manuel Neuer 81.6%
      2- Oliver Baumann  75.3%
      3- Loris Karius 75.2%
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: May 17, 2016 12:28:12 am
      I am slightly confused, wiki changed his height 3 times, first 1.87m, then 1.93m and now, 1.89m.... so how tall is he?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #22: May 17, 2016 12:44:09 am
      Bayern & Germany ā€@iMiaSanMia  5m5 minutes ago
      GKs with best save % in the Bundesliga:

1- Manuel Neuer 81.6%
      2- Oliver Baumann  75.3%
      3- Loris Karius 75.2%

That's good company to be in, but it's very hard to judge a goalkeeper on stats. I think you generally have to watch them to have a good understanding.

@SanBorussia on twitter seems to be speaking highly of him and she's intelligent and closely follows the Bundesliga so that's good news. She rates him higher than Horn, Mignolet, and Burki.

Quick Reply