Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Kolo Toure
      80 (94.1%)
      Someone else
      5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: May 22, 2016 10:48:23 am

Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate

Read 49268 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate
      Reply #1173: May 19, 2016 09:22:20 pm
      Disagree mate, that 3rd one was a stonewall penalty as far as I'm concerned. How a penalty can not be given when a player is standing the opposition up with a low stance and his hands virtually touching the pitch and then the ball hitting his hands is beyond me. His hand clearly blocked the ball that was played low. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would have been given as a freekick IMO.

Yep that was the one I think we really should have got. They always talk about the hands being in a "natural" position, well unless you're a f****** gibbon having your knuckles scraping the ground ain't natural in my book.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1174: May 19, 2016 09:46:20 pm
      Remember,

At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1175: May 19, 2016 09:57:00 pm
      Started rewatching the second half again before.

As you do.

Seriously, why would you put yourself through that Boss?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #1176: May 20, 2016 01:36:24 am
      Quote from PurpleMonkey
      I actually thought they were better team with control in the first half for 30 mins. We only had a strong 15min period where we ripped them to shreds on their left.  Anyway, whilst I am still pissed at our players and our loss, I am still confident of next season without European football. I think with Klopp and the right signings, we'll mount a serious challenge for the league and cups.

Yeah. How are we going to make the right signings without European football to offer them? You can wave goodbye to at least 5 potential targets on the back of that second half collapse, Klopp or no Klopp. The decision to rest players recently was very risky, and it ultimately backfired. Winning both games would have got a European spot. Winning them and beating Swansea would have secured 4th spot.

It's easy to single out the easy targets after the game, and they have been singled out, for the "huge clearout" in the summer. Reality is the team collapsed as a unit. Everyone stopped playing, and everyone should be held responsible.   

Furthermore, it's not the first time this group of players has had a big game and screwed it up. Villa in the cup semi, City in the Cup Final, Seville in this. A lot of talking the talk beforehand, but when it was time to walk the walk when the going got tough, many got left behind. Unlike City last time, Seville were clinical when they had to be, and ruthlessly punished gaps and errors, as you would expect a quality side to do in Europe.

As we have disasterously failed to make Europe next year, there are a number of consequences on the way. Next August, the League Cup begins earlier than normal. Throughout the year, we have to watch the likes of Leicester, Southampton, and possibly West Ham (as well as the mancs) play in Europe, which will be very painful and embarrassing. As we sit it out, our European rankings and seedings will take severe hits. Next year will be very tough, and that's just if everything goes well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1177: May 20, 2016 02:34:43 am
      Thanks for that, now I feel even more miserable!  :roll:
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1178: May 20, 2016 02:56:14 am
      As we have disasterously failed to make Europe next year, there are a number of consequences on the way. Next August, the League Cup begins earlier than normal. Throughout the year, we have to watch the likes of Leicester, Southampton, and possibly West Ham (as well as the mancs) play in Europe, which will be very painful and embarrassing. As we sit it out, our European rankings and seedings will take severe hits. Next year will be very tough, and that's just if everything goes well.

hahahaha this is so full of hyperbole, fear and misery that i think you should just not watch next season if that's how you think
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1179: May 20, 2016 04:10:19 am

Yeah. How are we going to make the right signings without European football to offer them? You can wave goodbye to at least 5 potential targets on the back of that second half collapse, Klopp or no Klopp. The decision to rest players recently was very risky, and it ultimately backfired. Winning both games would have got a European spot. Winning them and beating Swansea would have secured 4th spot.

It's easy to single out the easy targets after the game, and they have been singled out, for the "huge clearout" in the summer. Reality is the team collapsed as a unit. Everyone stopped playing, and everyone should be held responsible.   

Furthermore, it's not the first time this group of players has had a big game and screwed it up. Villa in the cup semi, City in the Cup Final, Seville in this. A lot of talking the talk beforehand, but when it was time to walk the walk when the going got tough, many got left behind. Unlike City last time, Seville were clinical when they had to be, and ruthlessly punished gaps and errors, as you would expect a quality side to do in Europe.

It's easy to look back and make such statements now. Man City also dropped 9 points in their last five games just as we did, who would have thought back then? As far as most of us were concerned, top 4 was already gone then, and many would think that resting players for the Europa League was a risk worth taking at that point. Sure, we could have got the Europa League spot, but I don't think that would really be a big factor for these "big players" we're chasing after? I'm actually not overly concerned that we won't be playing in the Europa League next year, if anything that could be a blessing. And I don't see why we should care that West Ham or Southampton or (hopefully) Crystal Palace will be playing in that competition. Why would you be watching that anyway?

We didn't get to play in europe in 2013/14 and as far as I recall, that season went pretty damn well didn't it?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1180: May 20, 2016 04:29:28 am
      I said it before the game and some didn't like it, but it was true then and it's still true now: losing the final was far from the end of the world.  Finishing in CL spots is going to become harder and harder each season.  Look at the teams that we are going to be regularly going up against---City, Arsenal, the Mancs, etc, but now you can also throw Spurs, Leicester, and possibly even West Ham and Saints into the mix.  The days of qualifying for CL through the league every season are long gone.  So it's more important than ever to get players who we know are in it for the long haul, not just those chasing guaranteed CL football.  Just imagine what could happen at Leicester next season---they'll have a lot of new signings this summer but what if they miss out on CL next season?  They'll all jump ship and Leicester will be in big trouble.

Now we can really "start from scratch" so to speak with Klopp.  Let's see who is down for the fight.  Who will be here, regardless of whether or not we have CL.  That goes for incomings and current players.  Can we bring in a top keeper?  If so that's a huge step without CL.  Can we bring in a player like Götze?  if he comes, we will know he is committed no matter what.  Can we keep Coutinho without CL next season?  etc etc.  Klopp said it himself---if a player wants to come only because of CL then their head isn't in the right place.  Now we won't have to wonder.  No CL, not Europe even.  Just week in and week out domestic matches.  Who wants it?

I think it really is a blessing in disguise for us.  We will be able to build a solid starting XI of players who will be here for the long-term who are GOOD ENOUGH.  Hopefully we can do what Spurs did; bring in a bunch of new players and in 2-3 seasons be challenging for the title. 

I'd much rather we do that than qualify for CL, bring in a bunch of new players, and then risk being right back at square one next summer if we don't qualify again and they all decide to jump ship.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1181: May 20, 2016 06:35:54 am
      Gutted.

That one hurts like a motherfucker.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #1182: May 20, 2016 10:44:28 am
      Also regarding the offside goal. The ref cannot see across the line, the linesman can so I can't understand how the ref thought he was certain to be making the right call.

Sturridge should've just walked back and let the ball pass him in to the net...
      He must've seen along the line so why he stuck his leg out to connect with the ball will haunt me for years...
      2-0 up going in at half time and things could've been so different..

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1183: May 20, 2016 11:12:48 am
      What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

I'm still gutted we lost. Still think we should have won

BUT

I'm convinced Klopp will take this pain right now, and use it for our team's betterment next season

Expect us to be fitter and a beasting in pre-season
      Expect us to be stronger and more tactically aware as more training between games
      Expect us to dominate again
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1184: May 20, 2016 01:09:47 pm

Yeah but apart from that, we're laughing!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1185: May 20, 2016 02:05:05 pm
      I honestly think this "the players don't care" angle is barking completely up the wrong tree, of course the players care. Of course they "tried" too, I've even seen this being questioned. The game hinged (as they always do) on a couple of moments, and we came out on the wrong side of too many of them to get home. We could have had penalties, we could have a goal which was disallowed, Moreno could have had a none game fart 90 mins, but ultimately it wasn't our night.

I know it's raw and all that stuff, but I genuinely think that those who question what the boss did are wrong this time, equally questioning the players desire is wide of the mark too. It was a pretty even game which we could have won comfortably had we got the bounce of the ball and a couple of decisions, as it was we didn't and they got the job done with a bit in hand. It happens, but we'll be back.

The players tried but Sevilla out fought us, they won everything and I think our lads were shocked.

We didn't have a sniff in that game, especially the second half. We got "out-Liverpool'd" with the way they pressed and fought.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1186: May 20, 2016 02:06:14 pm
      Just took a look on RAWK and to say the level of discussion on here is of a much higher level would be an understatement. Very pragmatic and less doom laden this place is (I know, I know!) compared to the sorrow, babbling on about 'missed opportunity that would put us years ahead of the schedule' blah blah blah... 'the end is nigh' dramatics of some on there.

For sure, Wednesday night was a real gut wrenching evening but it's good to see a long term perspective with regards to this on this forum rather than expecting immediate glory with the click of a finger.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,197 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1187: May 20, 2016 02:22:11 pm
      Honestly ever since Coutinho came off at half-time vs Villareal he has been very poor, Firmino has been brilliant at times and disappears just as quickly, Lallana while working hard has very little end product and Milner (who has done a lot) just could not get it done.

Perfect storm, the front sucked all at the same time.

The front sucked because of the lack of service from the midfield

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1188: May 20, 2016 02:47:16 pm
      Yeah. How are we going to make the right signings without European football to offer them?

By scouting players that'll be the right fit for our system and making bids? :o

You think Barca would let Messi go? I mean, all he does is tap ins vs sh*t teams, perhaps Barca will see this and offload him to buy someone like Long or Keane?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1189: May 20, 2016 03:03:08 pm
      Gonna watch it for a second time at the weekend - and concentrate on Milner and Can.

To me it seemed like Milner just ran out of legs by half time leaving the motor room with someone who needed to drive it and Can, ironically, couldn't.

The people claiming we had "no chance" are deranged - we had every chance to win that match but we fu**ed it up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1190: May 20, 2016 03:58:52 pm
      The players tried but Sevilla out fought us, they won everything and I think our lads were shocked.

We didn't have a sniff in that game, especially the second half. We got "out-Liverpool'd" with the way they pressed and fought.

I hope you had a great time anyway mate. At least you will always have the memory of seeing Liverpool in a major European final.

I have supported Liverpool for 50 years and only seen them in one European final. Of Course we won when I saw them against Bruges at Wembley, but then again I am not a F***ing jinx! :)

Seriously, don't let the result ruin your memories of the day, they're something you should treasure mate. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1191: May 20, 2016 04:01:31 pm
      Watching it for a second-time?

What the F**k are you lot, Sado masochists?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1192: May 20, 2016 04:18:03 pm
      By scouting players that'll be the right fit for our system and making bids? :o

You think Barca would let Messi go? I mean, all he does is tap ins vs sh*t teams, perhaps Barca will see this and offload him to buy someone like Long or Keane?

Leicester seemed to find a few players capable of winning the league without any European football and without much hope of anything but relegation. There are players out there more than capable of improving our squad we need to get out there and find them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1193: May 20, 2016 04:21:53 pm
      Leicester seemed to find a few players capable of winning the league without any European football and without much hope of anything but relegation. There are players out there more than capable of improving our squad we need to get out there and find them.

Exactly. There are so many fantastic players out there that will improve us that we don't know of.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1194: May 20, 2016 05:08:11 pm
      Leicester won league because they won lot games 1 nil and kept clean sheet, same with Chelsea won league, on till we get defenders do simple things right and not let in easy goals, we never win league,
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1195: May 20, 2016 05:12:01 pm
      Leicester won league because they won lot games 1 nil and kept clean sheet, same with Chelsea won league, on till we get defenders do simple things right and not let in easy goals, we never win league,

Correct mate. We need defenders who know how to defend and midfield players that will help the defence out rather than standing watching with their hands on their hips.

Quick Reply