Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Kolo Toure
      80 (94.1%)
      Someone else
      5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: May 22, 2016 10:48:23 am

Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate

Read 49271 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate
      Reply #1196: May 20, 2016 05:12:55 pm
      looking back we great defenders like stephane henchoz and sami hyypia and carragher, no way we lose match with them playing
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1197: May 20, 2016 05:25:56 pm
      I hope you had a great time anyway mate. At least you will always have the memory of seeing Liverpool in a major European final.

I have supported Liverpool for 50 years and only seen them in one European final. Of Course we won when I saw them against Bruges at Wembley, but then again I am not a F***ing jinx! :)

Seriously, don't let the result ruin your memories of the day, they're something you should treasure mate. 

Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

The whole trip was as good as i imagine, except for 45 minutes of it. Nightmare second half.

But being amongst it all pre-match, singing and chanting and just being surrounded by Reds in a foreign land was amazing. I'll never forget it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1198: May 20, 2016 05:27:35 pm
      NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA has opened disciplinary cases against Liverpool and Sevilla after fans fought in a poorly segregated section of the stadium before the Europa League final on Wednesday.

UEFA says its disciplinary panel will judge charges of "crowd disturbances" against both clubs on July 21.

Rival fans in neighboring blocks of seats clashed behind one goal 30 minutes before kickoff. Only then did police and security officers form a barrier between the sections.

Sevilla also faces a charge of "throwing of objects" by fans at St. Jakob Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland.

Plastic bottles were seen thrown at Liverpool players celebrating with scorer Daniel Sturridge after taking a 1-0 lead. Sevilla went on to win 3-1.

Liverpool faces a further fine for fans lighting fireworks in the stadium.
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/05/20/uefa-charges-liverpool-sevilla-over-fighting-fans-at-final/84653558/?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #1199: May 20, 2016 05:42:37 pm
      Still annoyed that Lovren didn't block that first Sevilla goal with his hand. Apparently.. that would have been permitted.  :roll:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1200: May 20, 2016 06:00:19 pm
      True to form ...... my forum buddy (!)  conspicuous by his absence.
      Where are you "Princess"?
      Come out come out wherever you are  ...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1201: May 20, 2016 06:43:17 pm
      Sturridge should've just walked back and let the ball pass him in to the net...
      He must've seen along the line so why he stuck his leg out to connect with the ball will haunt me for years...
      2-0 up going in at half time and things could've been so different..

I meant the situation regarding their 3rd goal mate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1202: May 20, 2016 06:47:19 pm
      NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA has opened disciplinary cases against Liverpool and Sevilla after fans fought in a poorly segregated section of the stadium before the Europa League final on Wednesday.

UEFA says its disciplinary panel will judge charges of "crowd disturbances" against both clubs on July 21.

Rival fans in neighboring blocks of seats clashed behind one goal 30 minutes before kickoff. Only then did police and security officers form a barrier between the sections.

Sevilla also faces a charge of "throwing of objects" by fans at St. Jakob Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland.

Plastic bottles were seen thrown at Liverpool players celebrating with scorer Daniel Sturridge after taking a 1-0 lead. Sevilla went on to win 3-1.

Liverpool faces a further fine for fans lighting fireworks in the stadium.
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/05/20/uefa-charges-liverpool-sevilla-over-fighting-fans-at-final/84653558/?

maybe the club could take action against Uefa for not segregating the fans correctly. they spent a lot of the day trying to get FIFA to confirm they could invite Platini. What a shower of low life scum they are
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #1203: May 20, 2016 08:34:27 pm
      I meant the situation regarding their 3rd goal mate.

Doh!!
      I get what you said now and I hope you get what I said.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1204: May 20, 2016 10:17:59 pm
      maybe the club could take action against Uefa for not segregating the fans correctly. they spent a lot of the day trying to get FIFA to confirm they could invite Platini. What a shower of low life scum they are

In between quaffing some quality champers as well. Got to have a bit of bubbly for the Uefa bigwigs!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1205: May 20, 2016 11:18:38 pm
      Only just seen that about both clubs being charged. UEFA have got some F***ing cheek haven't they! They fail to segregate the part of the ground, what the F**k did they expect to happen?! One of the most inept organisations in the world.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1206: May 20, 2016 11:23:41 pm
      Disagree mate, that 3rd one was a stonewall penalty as far as I'm concerned. How a penalty can not be given when a player is standing the opposition up with a low stance and his hands virtually touching the pitch and then the ball hitting his hands is beyond me. His hand clearly blocked the ball that was played low. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would have been given as a freekick IMO.

Also regarding the offside goal. The ref cannot see across the line, the linesman can so I can't understand how the ref thought he was certain to be making the right call.

I don't think that ref was certain he had his shoes tied at the start of the game. Complete wally.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #1207: May 20, 2016 11:39:22 pm
      I don't think that ref was certain he had his shoes tied at the start of the game. Complete wally.

and as for those yellow socks!! F**k me they were a bad choice!..
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1208: May 21, 2016 05:16:41 am
      Well, that was sh*t.

Disgraceful.

I have no idea what Klopp says to his players at HT. but sometimes they come out from the dressing room looking void of any grey matter and guts.

Manager bemoaned the supporters we're shocked as well as his players. He was clearly shocked too as he did fa to change things during an onslaught - and never mind the supporters Jürgen, they're entitled to be shocked, you, you are paid to address this but the onslaught carried on.

5 cup finals now without a win for our boss.

Not good.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1209: May 21, 2016 07:42:54 am
      and as for those yellow socks!! F**k me they were a bad choice!..

They were to stop people seeing the piss going down his leg when he needed to make a decision.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #1210: May 21, 2016 12:17:04 pm
      Quote from federer
      Now we can really "start from scratch" so to speak with Klopp.  Let's see who is down for the fight.  Who will be here, regardless of whether or not we have CL.  That goes for incomings and current players.  Can we bring in a top keeper?  If so that's a huge step without CL.  Can we bring in a player like Götze?  if he comes, we will know he is committed no matter what.  Can we keep Coutinho without CL next season?  etc etc.  Klopp said it himself---if a player wants to come only because of CL then their head isn't in the right place.  Now we won't have to wonder.  No CL, not Europe even.  Just week in and week out domestic matches.  Who wants it?

I think it really is a blessing in disguise for us.  We will be able to build a solid starting XI of players who will be here for the long-term who are GOOD ENOUGH.  Hopefully we can do what Spurs did; bring in a bunch of new players and in 2-3 seasons be challenging for the title.

Spurs have got European football for many years now, and are still the only side to finish 4th since 2002 and not make the European Cup. They have something to offer their new signings, which helps them get the players they're after.

Gotze is currently considering alternative options now we don't have it next year. The top players want to play in Europe, they're used to playing twice a week as its their job. When you don't even have the UEFA Cup, well there are other clubs ahead in the race for their signature.

Quote from green_bear
      It's easy to look back and make such statements now. Man City also dropped 9 points in their last five games just as we did, who would have thought back then? As far as most of us were concerned, top 4 was already gone then, and many would think that resting players for the Europa League was a risk worth taking at that point. Sure, we could have got the Europa League spot, but I don't think that would really be a big factor for these "big players" we're chasing after? I'm actually not overly concerned that we won't be playing in the Europa League next year, if anything that could be a blessing. And I don't see why we should care that West Ham or Southampton or (hopefully) Crystal Palace will be playing in that competition. Why would you be watching that anyway?

We didn't get to play in europe in 2013/14 and as far as I recall, that season went pretty damn well didn't it?

On the other hand there was 2011 when a small minority of fans came out with the "blessing in disguise" claptrap when we didn't make Europe. The next year, our new star signing was Charlie Adam, and if anything things got worse. Kenny was then summoned to Boston for the verdict. So no Europe doesn't work all the time.

Those clubs will be in Europe next year while we have to sit it out. As we regard them as below us, it should be embarrassing. We had four competitions to get a European spot from. We had games in hand on those above us for months, and with the league as competitive as it is atm, they were dropping points all over the shop, we had plenty of chances to take advantage. It's no good saying "who would have thought", we should have been ready for it. 2 wins in the last week would have been enough, and if we won the last 4 league games, we would have finished fourth. Instead we eased off, rested too many players, dropped our own share of points, and ended up with nothing.

No European football for the third time in 6 years means our rankings and seedings will snowball again. The best we can do is be second seeds in the European Cup, if we haven't won the league. Last time we were third seeds and got Real Madrid. Next time we could be fourth seeds in a group with the likes of Barcelona, Dortmund, and Roma for two spots. You don't need me to tell you how difficult that would be.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1211: May 21, 2016 12:45:30 pm
      In between quaffing some quality champers as well. Got to have a bit of bubbly for the Uefa bigwigs!!

whilst some of our fans were being ripped of for tickets UEFA were pleading with FIFA to allow Platini to go to the match on a freebee.
      Its just so annoying that supporters are just seen as cash cows. Similar today playing the FA CUP final at tea time. No doubt the trains will be off later
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1212: May 21, 2016 01:03:29 pm
      Just to say - having listened to some of his risible commentary, that Mark Lawrenson is one of the biggest arseholes of all time.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1213: May 21, 2016 03:20:34 pm
      Disagree mate, that 3rd one was a stonewall penalty as far as I'm concerned. How a penalty can not be given when a player is standing the opposition up with a low stance and his hands virtually touching the pitch and then the ball hitting his hands is beyond me. His hand clearly blocked the ball that was played low. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would have been given as a freekick IMO.

Also regarding the offside goal. The ref cannot see across the line, the linesman can so I can't understand how the ref thought he was certain to be making the right call.

On the bright side, just think how bad you would be feeling now if he had awarded us a couple of penalties and we had gone in at half time winning 3-0, only to collapse like we did in the second half... before going out on penalties a la Milan.

Maybe he did us a favour :)
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #1214: May 21, 2016 05:11:55 pm
      Lovren, Kolo and Clyne were very very good, we conceded because we had a poor midfield(not poor midfielders), Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho and Moreno let us down. When you have only Can shielding the defense while other midfielders could not keep the ball, you get this result.

We could not have won with our 3 AMs playing at this "level". I'm tired seeing our fans criticizing our defenders, they cannot do everything.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1215: May 21, 2016 05:13:28 pm
      Lovren, Sakho and Slyne were very very good, we conceded because we had a poor midfield(not poor midfielders), Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho and Moreno let us down. When you have only Can shielding the defense while other midfielders could not keep the ball, you get this result.

We could not ave won with our 3 AMs playing at this "level". I'm tired seeing our fans criticizing our defenders, they cannot do everything.

Sahko & Slyne played?...wow the magic pills made him look like Kolo...good stuff that.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #1216: May 21, 2016 05:16:25 pm
      Sahko & Slyne played?...wow the magic pills made him look like Kolo...good stuff that.

I'm sorry, just corrected my mistake. I'm so used to associating Lovren to Sakho.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1217: May 21, 2016 06:07:15 pm
      In all honesty if anything I believe we over achieved in the Europa League this season... With the players we have and under Klopp's management we when further in the tournament than we deserved too... He has bought out the best at time in a very average group of players. And when he had us playing as a Team at times we were irresistible... None of us should feel angry  about the result, disappointed maybe angry no... Looking forward to who Klopp brings in per-season... No European football should mean that we are able to keep players injury free easier and concentrate on making the top four... This season is the real "Year One" of the Jürgen Klopp era... And as I said earlier "On the Brightside Players like Riyad Mahrez and Dimitri Payet where found and signed for Clubs not playing in the Europe"

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1218: May 21, 2016 09:34:28 pm
      Leicester won league because they won lot games 1 nil and kept clean sheet, same with Chelsea won league, on till we get defenders do simple things right and not let in easy goals, we never win league,

Quick Reply