Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Who will be missing at the end of next season?

Read 7515 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Who will be missing at the end of next season?
      Reply #23: May 19, 2016 09:08:51 pm
      Leicester have shown with their full backs who don't cross the half way line that it's much more important what your attackers do.
      If we had a LB as solid as Clyne imagine the number of goals we would not have conceded this season?

I agree. First and foremost, our full backs must be better defending than attacking.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: May 19, 2016 09:09:39 pm
      I know Clyne gets in everyone's "to keep" list and for next season I suspect he most definitely will be our starting RB but I see him getting replaced as soon as the more alarming holes in the squad are filled.

I think he has been playing well within himself offensively this season...New club, new manager, massive injuries and not the greatest around him. I have noticed the past 6 weeks or so how much more he has started bombing forward and making an impact as he has become more settled and perhaps at Jürgen's orders.

To me seeing how we can't have all German or Brazilian players in the squad (we do need a few homegrown right?) I think he is a shoe in at his position for the next 5+ years and is clearly our most consistent defender.

As the guy's at TAW mention quite a bit Jürgen likes playing with one attack minded back and one defensive minded one, to me Clyne is the best RB in the Premiership bar none and as long as he plays as consistently as he has (more games than any other player) and the quality stays then to me he is untouchable.

Player of the year in my mind.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: May 19, 2016 09:12:26 pm
      Leicester have shown with their full backs who don't cross the half way line that it's much more important what your attackers do.
      If we had a LB as solid as Clyne imagine the number of goals we would not have conceded this season?

Leicester play a completely different style to us though, if we want to revert to that style then Clyne may well be good enough, but we don't. I like being the dominant team in possession, I like pressing the life out of opponents and forcing mistakes so for that I don't think Clyne offers enough. The opposition are all too aware of how little threat he carries and therefore he's gifted acres of space without occupying the defenders.

Judging Clyne by Moreno's standards really wont do us any favours either. I know it's difficult to find but we need a player more in the mould of Alves, Zabaleta than Clyne in my opinion. Sure it's fine to say we solidify one side and then go adventurous on the other but in the end you need it from both wings if you're going to drag defenders out of position.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #26: May 19, 2016 09:14:27 pm
      I think he has been playing well within himself offensively this season...New club, new manager, massive injuries and not the greatest around him. I have noticed the past 6 weeks or so how much more he has started bombing forward and making an impact as he has become more settled and perhaps at Jürgen's orders.

To me seeing how we can't have all German or Brazilian players in the squad (we do need a few homegrown right?) I think he is a shoe in at his position for the next 5+ years and is clearly our most consistent defender.

As the guy's at TAW mention quite a bit Jürgen likes playing with one attack minded back and one defensive minded one, to me Clyne is the best RB in the Premiership bar none and as long as he plays as consistently as he has (more games than any other player) and the quality stays then to me he is untouchable.

Player of the year in my mind.

Yes but the idea of that is you alternate, therefore you always have the energy. When it's solely reliant on one side the lad on that side gets knackered and your attacks become less threatening.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,193 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27: May 19, 2016 09:27:55 pm
      Leicester play a completely different style to us though, if we want to revert to that style then Clyne may well be good enough, but we don't. I like being the dominant team in possession, I like pressing the life out of opponents and forcing mistakes so for that I don't think Clyne offers enough. The opposition are all too aware of how little threat he carries and therefore he's gifted acres of space without occupying the defenders.

Judging Clyne by Moreno's standards really wont do us any favours either. I know it's difficult to find but we need a player more in the mould of Alves, Zabaleta than Clyne in my opinion. Sure it's fine to say we solidify one side and then go adventurous on the other but in the end you need it from both wings if you're going to drag defenders out of position.

We will have to agree to disagree mate on Clyne, like AZ I think he has been one of our players of the year.

Clyne is never going to have Milners crossing ability but he certainly does contribute offensively just look at his cross at the end of the first half which should have been put away by one of Sturrudge or Firmino.

Get a goal scoring AM on his side of the pitch and you will see a lot more from Clyne, unfortunately Lallana does him no favours.

He presses high up the pitch as he has a great engine to get back into position.
      He's also a strong f**ker hardly ever knocked off the ball.
      One of the best RB in the country.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: May 19, 2016 09:29:41 pm
      We will have to agree to disagree mate on Clyne, like AZ I think he has been one of our players of the year.

Clyne is never going to have Milners crossing ability but he certainly does contribute offensively just look at his cross at the end of the first half which should have been put away by one of Sturrudge or Firmino.

Get a goal scoring AM on his side of the pitch and you will see a lot more from Clyne, unfortunately Lallana does him no favours.

He presses high up the pitch as he has a great engine to get back into position.
      He's also a strong f**ker hardly ever knocked off the ball.
      One of the best RB in the country.

Fair enough mate.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #29: May 19, 2016 09:42:42 pm
      I think Gotze is earmarked for that role mate. I think we may also go for a goalscoring winger type who can play central at a pinch, rather than another central AM that can wide at a pinch such as Couts and Firmino. Someone who can beat a player, get a cross in or pick a pass and can even score when the opportunity presents itself, rather than relying on fullbacks who have no end product.

Yeah, we definitely need more goals from elsewhere. It would also be nice to have fullbacks who are balanced in both their ability to attack and defend. What we need more than anything is a leader in this team, a big game player who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck in the way Gerrard used to. No one's filled that void since he left.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #30: May 20, 2016 01:02:44 am
      Only toure and Moreno from the starting 11.

Even though the likes of mignolet and Lallana can be upgraded, Klopp seems to like them.

Even can and Milner aren't exactly world beaters but I think both will see a lot of games for us next season.

Morenos days are numbered though. If we don't sign a left back in the summer we will definitely sign one in January. He is finished here.

From the bench I suspect Skrtel  benteke and Allen will go in the summer, all looking for first team football.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #31: May 20, 2016 04:45:34 am
      I think Gotze is earmarked for that role mate. I think we may also go for a goalscoring winger type who can play central at a pinch, rather than another central AM that can wide at a pinch such as Couts and Firmino. Someone who can beat a player, get a cross in or pick a pass and can even score when the opportunity presents itself, rather than relying on fullbacks who have no end product.

A goalscoring winger, who can play centrally, can beat a player, cross well, pass well, and score when he has chances.

Robben and Reus are probably a bit out of our league.

I know Clyne gets in everyone's "to keep" list and for next season I suspect he most definitely will be our starting RB but I see him getting replaced as soon as the more alarming holes in the squad are filled.

Give me a name of the gettable right back with brilliant end product who's as good as Clyne defensively.

I agree. First and foremost, our full backs must be better defending than attacking.

That's not really true for most top teams.

Leicester are an anomaly and play nothing like any other top team in any major league. Look at any of the best teams in Europe - all of them have at least one full back who is strong going forward.

I know it's difficult to find but we need a player more in the mould of Alves, Zabaleta than Clyne in my opinion.

Clyne can quite easily hit Zabaleta levels. Zabaleta wasn't great going forward, but he had intelligent players around him and his cut backs were very effective because that's how City played as a team.

Sure it's fine to say we solidify one side and then go adventurous on the other but in the end you need it from both wings if you're going to drag defenders out of position.

Klopp's Dortmund didn't have this - Schmelzer was nothing special going forward.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #32: May 20, 2016 06:10:14 am
      Final game of 2015-16

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge.
      [Subs] Ward, Benteke, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Origi, Skrtel.

Who won't be in the matchday squad at the end of next season?

I'll go first

Toure, Moreno, Lallana, Skrtel, Lucas, Benteke, Milner

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge.
      [Subs] Ward, Benteke, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Origi, Skrtel

Personally think that Lucas is an iffy one, either he'll move on for more regular football or will stay but only be a bit part player in the squad.

With Allen and Toure, I think they've done enough this half of these season to stay at the club; Toure at least on a one year extension. Allen is a very decent option to come off the bench in my opinion, that being said, if we can better then we need to do that.

Skrtel is a goner, that much is obvious, as is Moreno. Benteke will be sold to the likes of West Ham.

I think if we get a big offer for Coutinho (shouldn't do if you base it on his last few games) we'll end up accepting if we are truly in for the likes of Gotze.

I only see a few holes in the squad and they're all mainly in defence. I think Clyne has nailed down his place, Migs will have better competition for a place next season but we need 1/2 CB's including Matip and at least one RB.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2016 06:47:56 am
      A goalscoring winger, who can play centrally, can beat a player, cross well, pass well, and score when he has chances.

Robben and Reus are probably a bit out of our league.

They may well be mate, but Sadio Mane or Andre Schurrle could do a decent job and I am sure there are others, although the thought of Reus would certainly bring a smile to my face.  C.palace have a decent player too from what I remember. 

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: May 20, 2016 08:11:48 am
      Can't see a mass exodus myself but as this is Jürgen's new Liverpool no one knows for sure who he'll despatch with, obvious goners imo are....
      Benteke, balo, Skrtel, Moreno,

Iffy's,....
      Kolo, Lucas, Hendo, Allen, Flanagan Milner,Sakho,Migs, Ibe,

Stayers.....
      Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Lovren, Clyne, Origi Ings Ojo, Markovic,

Kids,....
      Smith Brannagan, Canos, Stewart, Ward

Anyone else it doesn't look to favourable, without European football we won't need 6-8 new faces but I expect to see at the very least 4 high quality top drawer players who will take us up a level or two,

All this talk of off loading Coutinho etc is pish why the F**k would you sell your best players isn't that the reason we've suffered from mediocrity these past 10 year's,
      We want to be adding quality not reducing it Ffs,
      Goetze, Zielinski etc are not certain either, Klopp will know whom he wants in and who he wants gone,
      It will start to unfold in about two weeks time.

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: May 20, 2016 08:21:44 am
      All this talk of off loading Coutinho etc is pish why the f**k would you sell your best players isn't that the reason we've suffered from mediocrity these past 10 year's,
      We want to be adding quality not reducing it Ffs,

I think the point with Coutinho and Sturridge is not that we may want to sell them, but that they may decide they want to go.

No European football and a team in transition are not as attractive to top players as you might think :)

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #36: May 20, 2016 08:51:53 am
      I think the point with Coutinho and Sturridge is not that we may want to sell them, but that they may decide they want to go.

No European football and a team in transition are not as attractive to top players as you might think :)

Perhaps not s@int but working with Jürgen Klopp alleviates that slightly, knowing that you have a more than average chance of lifting the Premiership title next season, if those players believed Klopp's plans prior to Wednesday then they should still do now,
      CL will come I have absolutely no doubt about that, I'm a simple fan and I believe it, if those players have any doubts whatsoever then they have no standing at this club.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #37: May 20, 2016 08:56:03 am

Money is attractive for these young lads though. Its going to be an interesting summer. If we keep Daniel,Couthino,Firmino,Origi,Ings and Benteke that does give plenty of options.
      What we need is to concede fewer goals and have the ability to close games out.I guess that comes with experience
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: May 20, 2016 09:02:06 am
      Perhaps not s@int but working with Jürgen Klopp alleviates that slightly, knowing that you have a more than average chance of lifting the Premiership title next season, if those players believed Klopp's plans prior to Wednesday then they should still do now,
      CL will come I have absolutely no doubt about that, I'm a simple fan and I believe it, if those players have any doubts whatsoever then they have no standing at this club.

YNWA

I think a lot will depend on the quality of the players we bring in mate. If our best players see that we are bringing in quality they will probably want to be a part of the next act. If they see we are bringing in mainly young "prospects" that could take 3 or even 4 years to develop they may decide not to wait.

I am sure that Jürgen will be influential in any decisions they make, but money, trophies and success may play just as important a role in deciding their future.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #39: May 20, 2016 09:09:31 am
      Money is attractive for these young lads though. Its going to be an interesting summer. If we keep Daniel,Couthino,Firmino,Origi,Ings and Benteke that does give plenty of options.
      What we need is to concede fewer goals and have the ability to close games out.I guess that comes with experience

Can see where your at Walt, and if TPM was still here I'd probably agree those players would want out,
      However, the new bloke hasn't stagnated, his plans haven't come to nought, there not scribbled down on a note pad, there are no soundbites emanating from his pearly whites,
      This bloke is the real deal and if our players can't infuse with his ideology then they can all f**k off,and seek their fortunes elsewhere.

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #40: May 20, 2016 09:14:03 am
      The first out of the door should be Bogdan and Balotelli,how the hell these 2 ever qualified as professional footballers I will never know.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #41: May 20, 2016 09:18:20 am
      I think a lot will depend on the quality of the players we bring in mate. If our best players see that we are bringing in quality they will probably want to be a part of the next act. If they see we are bringing in mainly young "prospects" that could take 3 or even 4 years to develop they may decide not to wait.

I am sure that Jürgen will be influential in any decisions they make, but money, trophies and success may play just as important a role in deciding their future.

Fairy muff mate regarding quality, I agree, I think Jürgen realises that quality is lacking, he's obviously been sussing the players over the last 7 months, he'll know exactly what is needed, if I were one of those players I wouldn't be going anywhere, the vision is there,Klopp will have told his players what his plans are, if they choose not to be part of it then that's fine, I don't want players at the club who's hearts not in it.

YNWA
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #42: May 20, 2016 01:56:59 pm
      For me, Kolo Toure would be the first name in the squad - possibly team. Absolute class on and off the pitch. He has to stay. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #43: May 20, 2016 01:59:51 pm
      Final game of 2015-16

[Subs] Ward, Benteke, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Origi, Skrtel.

Who won't be in the matchday squad at the end of next season?

I'll go first

Toure, Moreno, Lallana, Skrtel, Lucas, Benteke, Milner

Mignolet, Moreno, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen :(, Benteke
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #44: May 20, 2016 07:10:04 pm
      Moreno, Mignolet, Skrtel, Toure, Benteke, Allen, Balloteli, Bogdan, Flannagan.

No Europe means we would only bring in GK, LB and another CB with Sakho in a mess. With the 2 lads already signed and Alberto and Markovic having decent season they will be like new signings.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #45: May 20, 2016 07:40:41 pm
      Moreno, Mignolet, Skrtel, Toure, Benteke, Allen, Balloteli, Bogdan, Flannagan.

No Europe means we would only bring in GK, LB and another CB with Sakho in a mess. With the 2 lads already signed and Alberto and Markovic having decent season they will be like new signings.

They are not going to let Flanno go, he is a good defender that can cover both sides; as far as Moreno I don't think he is the type of back you can win anything big with but is perfect for that home match against a Bournemouth when you want a more attacking side, I think he will be here next season...probably migs too...the rest is probably correct.

Quick Reply