Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Roy Hodgson

Read 31685 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Roy Hodgson
      May 22, 2016 03:51:46 pm
      Why Hodgson was not to blame for Liverpool failure - Murphy
      11:59, 22 MAY 2016 UPDATED 11:59, 22 MAY 2016
      BY KRISTIAN WALSH
      Danny Murphy defends former boss over ill-fated Liverpool reign

Former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy believes Roy Hodgson was not to blame for his ill-fated reign at Anfield.

Hodgson arrived at the club in the summer of 2010, but lasted just six months as he was replaced by Kenny Dalglish in January 2011.

The presence of Dalglish was one of the reasons Murphy believes Hodgson was not a success with the Reds, but has also blamed the ownership of Hicks and Gillett, as well as the absence of his regular backroom staff.

Hodgson won just seven of his 20 league games at the club, leaving them 12th upon his departure.

Murphy, who worked with Hodgson at Fulham, thinks several factors worked against his former boss.

“So why didn’t it work for him at Liverpool? Part of it is an easy one really, because there were no funds to get any quality in,” said Murphy. “He lost Stevie G early in that season through injury for about eight weeks and Torres had just got back from that bad injury and didn’t look anything like his former self. He also probably wanted away at that point.

How Liverpool could be affected by changes to the loan system next season
      Liverpool transfer rumours: Bundesliga defender linked, Reds want Drinkwater, Long interest
      Has ex-Reds boss Brendan Rodgers made the right choice at Celtic?
      “So he was bringing in players of not great quality. Also the way he coaches takes time. When he came in at Fulham we didn’t win for eight games. His methods grow. The way he coaches and the way he wants you to play doesn’t happen overnight.”

Murphy, now a pundit with the BBC, also pointed to Hodgson’s successor, Dalglish, watching on as he struggled.

Towards the end of his time at Anfield, Hodgson would be met with chants of the Scot from the Anfield crowd.

“It’s not all about ‘Go out and be energetic’ it’s about going out and being clever and tactical astute,” he added. “And you learn more off Roy the longer you are with him. Liverpool needed more of a quick fix and, of course, with ‘King Kenny’ up in the stands every week it was always going to be difficult.”

The former midfielder also thinks Hodgson’s lack of support in the dugout was a big factor, adding: “The other thing as well is that Ray Lewington and Mike Kelly, who he worked so well with at Fulham, did not go with him. So he lost two lieutenants and every good manager has a couple of good guys outside. Mike and Ray were very influential at Fulham.”

Mike Kelly actually did join Hodgson at Anfield, doubling up as assistant boss and goalkeeping coach, though Lewington remained at Fulham as a youth coach until joining Hodgson at England as his no.2 in 2012.
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hodgson-not-blame-liverpool-failure-11368375?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Roy Hodgson
      Reply #1: May 22, 2016 03:58:01 pm
      I like Danny Murphy but I disagree with him here. The reason Roy Hodgson was a disaster at Liverpool is because he is a c***.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: May 22, 2016 04:08:31 pm
      Because he done himself a lot of favours by signing Poulsen, Konchesky and trying to sign Carlton Cole...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: May 22, 2016 04:11:26 pm

Things could have been so different if he had just managed to sign Carlton

:)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #4: May 22, 2016 04:11:38 pm
      So how come Kenny did miles better with the same squad in the same season, and Rafa - although by far his weakest season - did better than Hodgson preceding?

Murphy doesn't half talk sh*te these days.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: May 22, 2016 04:32:06 pm
      So how come Kenny did miles better with the same squad in the same season, and Rafa - although by far his weakest season - did better than Hodgson preceding?

Murphy doesn't half talk sh*te these days.

Joins a list of ex players that do mate....

How can the presence of Kenny in the stands undermine the manager?.... Never harmed Rafa when he bought Kenny back into the club as ambassador...

Hodgson is sh*te as sh*te is Hodgson...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #6: May 22, 2016 04:39:28 pm
      Christ is Murphy binge-drinking again! What a load of horse-sh*te.

Hodgson was done for the minute he slagged off some of the fans protesting against H & G not long after he got the job. And considering we could of had Pellegrini instead had the snake and Ayre been arsed to interview him. That whole six months could of been avoided.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: May 22, 2016 04:43:14 pm
      F**k sake Danny.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: May 22, 2016 04:50:44 pm
      No wonder Rafa binned him off and replaced him with Alonso..,

Waits for The 'Real' Donovan Reid reply ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: May 22, 2016 04:53:15 pm
      No wonder Rafa binned him off and replaced him with Alonso..,

Waits for The 'Real' Donovan Reid reply ;D

Still waiting to find out who the 'fake' Donavan Reid was.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: May 22, 2016 04:59:46 pm
      Does Danny get paid by the controversial sound bite these days? He just seems to come out with bollocks that nobody else agreed with.

Now I've said that I'm sure a couple of our own resident bollocks will come in and agree with his bollocks, about bollocks.

that's a lot of bollocks
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: May 22, 2016 05:05:54 pm
      Problem is most of you don't understand the way Roy works.

You learn more from losing a game than winning one... just think how much more our players learned under Hodgson.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #12: May 22, 2016 05:34:44 pm
      Problem is most of you don't understand the way Roy works.

You learn more from losing a game than winning one... just think how much more our players learned under Hodgson.

Who can forget this for the 3-0 mauling by Newcastle!!

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #13: May 22, 2016 05:35:21 pm
      Still waiting to find out who the 'fake' Donavan Reid was.

;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: May 22, 2016 06:33:00 pm
      Shall we take a stroll down memory lane of the owls best gifs?

Come on Ian, there's loads better than that.  What about the famous face rub?  Or banging his head against the dugout?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: May 22, 2016 09:37:24 pm

has he just had a stroke
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: May 22, 2016 11:57:42 pm

There's this as well that is an all time classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYO3qdFnhg

My all time favourite. The Mike and Angelo theme (90s kids tv show of course) is the cherry on top.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: May 22, 2016 11:59:03 pm
      There's this as well that is an all time classic!

My all time favourite. The Mike and Angelo theme (90s kids tv show of course) is the cherry on top.

Easily the best that one, love it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #18: May 23, 2016 12:37:59 am
      A couple of pics of Ol Woy and Sammy

And a few more of Woy making a c**t of himself

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #19: May 23, 2016 02:39:35 am
      Who, who.....
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1633 
      Reply #20: May 24, 2016 07:52:21 pm
      F**k sake I had almost got over this guy!

Honestly I hated the man when he was here and I can't say I've ever felt that about anyone associated with the club. A fraud if ever there was one, if anyone feels a bit suicidal have a Google of '6 months of Roy Hodgson quotes', there's some belters in there!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: May 24, 2016 10:44:51 pm
      from day one seeing him there in the dugout just felt wrong utterly wrong
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #22: Jun 14, 2016 08:46:46 pm
      sh*t the F***ing bed.....

Hear this from a recent interview with Albert Riera: “I remember the day when Roy Hodgson came to Liverpool. He said that he wanted his team to be 90% British, so all the foreigners felt like we’d be having problems in Liverpool and I signed for Olympiakos."

Appalling management - shocked at such a blinkered way of building a team.
      Kopite78
      Reply #23: Jun 14, 2016 08:51:26 pm
      Sh*t the f**king bed.....

Hear this from a recent interview with Albert Riera: “I remember the day when Roy Hodgson came to Liverpool. He said that he wanted his team to be 90% British, so all the foreigners felt like we’d be having problems in Liverpool and I signed for Olympiakos."

Appalling management - shocked at such a blinkered way of building a team.

He signed 8 players as manager

Suso, Raul Merieles, Cristian Poulsen and Brad Jones within those 8

That's 50% not British

If he said that, to his squad of talented foreign players he's a mug who doesn't understand man management.. He then doesn't back it up in reality which makes him a bullshitter

All in all an utter gobs***e
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: Jun 14, 2016 08:59:36 pm

Rafa signed Suso mate.

If he fulfils such potential he will be grateful not only to the current Liverpool manager but a former one. Rafa Benitez is maintaining a watching brief on a player who, as one of his last Liverpool signings, could prove an exceptional parting gift.

“The biggest reason I signed was Rafa,” says Suso. Real Madrid were interested but it was their Academy coaches calling, at Liverpool it was the manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9653250/Liverpools-new-kid-on-the-block-Suso-is-ready-for-the-long-haul-to-make-his-name-at-Anfield.html
      Kopite78
      Reply #25: Jun 14, 2016 09:03:08 pm
      Rafa signed Suso mate.

If he fulfils such potential he will be grateful not only to the current Liverpool manager but a former one. Rafa Benitez is maintaining a watching brief on a player who, as one of his last Liverpool signings, could prove an exceptional parting gift.

“The biggest reason I signed was Rafa,” says Suso. Real Madrid were interested but it was their Academy coaches calling, at Liverpool it was the manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9653250/Liverpools-new-kid-on-the-block-Suso-is-ready-for-the-long-haul-to-make-his-name-at-Anfield.html

According to LFChistory they have him down as signing under the Hodge

http://www.lfchistory.net/Managers/Manager/Profile/22

I was going off that as they tend to be pretty good on the club records.
      I'll be honest I thought of Poulsen and Merieles but went there to double check and saw Suso and then Jones.. I did think he was a Rafa signing too but tend to trust LFChistory

Either way the Hodge is a gobs***e
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #26: Jun 14, 2016 10:32:35 pm
      According to LFChistory they have him down as signing under the Hodge

http://www.lfchistory.net/Managers/Manager/Profile/22

I was going off that as they tend to be pretty good on the club records.
      I'll be honest I thought of Poulsen and Merieles but went there to double check and saw Suso and then Jones.. I did think he was a Rafa signing too but tend to trust LFChistory

Either way the Hodge is a gobs***e

Definitely a Rafa signing mate. But completely agree with your description of Woy. How a manager can come into a club like Liverpool and sign Poulsen and Konchesky is beyond me, and lets not forget he even tried signing Carlton Cole! Just thinking about it quickly winds me up! At least Kenny came in and binned them muppets off.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2016 07:05:28 pm
      The old man has gambled and it paid off. Well done roy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2016 08:37:40 pm
      The old man has gambled and it paid off. Well done roy.

Not really gambled mate, it was doing the bloody obvious that everyone was saying before the match even started. His gamble was to try and use the same line up which didn't pay off.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2016 08:55:00 pm
      Not really gambled mate, it was doing the bloody obvious that everyone was saying before the match even started. His gamble was to try and use the same line up which didn't pay off.

Ok, I agree. I just saw it differently. But for Sturridge, it was better to play 45mins.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2016 09:08:18 pm
      At least, thanks to Studge and Vardy, england fans won't start singing "Hodgson for Liverpool". :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2016 09:09:09 pm

Spot on Ben.

Even the normal people in the pub have been saying it since half time against Russia.

Woy gets on to it half time against Wales.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Jul 02, 2016 05:08:25 pm
      couldn't we scrap this thread and just pretend he was never here it was all a bad dream
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2016 05:56:55 pm
      couldn't we scrap this thread and just pretend he was never here it was all a bad dream

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38242297

Today he announces that he is looking to return to management

Former England boss Roy Hodgson is keen on a return to management and believes he will do so as a "better coach".

"I'm hoping something will come along that will really interest me," said the 69-year-old, who has 40 years managerial experience.

Why did we used to hire managers with self delusion ?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2016 06:10:19 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38242297

Today he announces that he is looking to return to management

Former England boss Roy Hodgson is keen on a return to management and believes he will do so as a "better coach".

"I'm hoping something will come along that will really interest me," said the 69-year-old, who has 40 years managerial experience.

Why did we used to hire managers with self delusion ?

Some of his quotes are superb Skip, apart from the foot in mouth ones he said whilst our manager today he's said that after 4yrs of coaching the England squad he realised at the Euros that the players hadn't understood what he'd been trying to teach them and that they didn't take responsibility for how they played in the tournament!!  No responsibility on him then??

He's now spouting in his latest PR shpiel to get himself another job that he's "a bit wiser now"!!  Really??  So you didn't wise up as to how sh*t you were during the previous 40yrs of management??

Absolute F***ing cretin of a man who I'm ashamed to admit was once our Manager!! 

His time at Liverpool should be struck from the record books or should be enshrined for posterity how to never, ever hire a grubby, self serving, FA arse licking, bullshitting pr**k ever, ever again  :mad: :mad:

F***ing despise the guy!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Dec 07, 2016 06:21:19 pm
      The last thing he said as England manager entering the Press Conference .... once he'd picked up his final cheque ?

" I dont know what I'm doing here ".  !

Correct.
      His epitaph.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #36: Dec 07, 2016 06:55:41 pm
      In a funny way it would be great to see him back, just to laugh at the club stupid enough to employ this dinosaur.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Dec 07, 2016 07:59:36 pm
      Spineless spineless coward. The way he scurried away like a rat at the end of the Iceland match then refusing to take questions from the press was probably the most cowardly act of 'management' I've ever seen. He put the players up front and they took the full shitstorm of it.

Fair play to Joe Hart after the game for coming out and taking responsibility for his and the team's mistakes.

Despicable and truly shameless act from Hodgson, showing his true colours on the biggest stage. It would be a pretty desperate club to employ this fraud of an individual ever again.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #38: Apr 14, 2017 12:37:34 am
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39: Apr 14, 2017 12:59:24 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #40: Apr 14, 2017 01:25:44 am
      Yeah, this was a while back, I remember this!

When he first took over as Inter coach.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #41: Apr 14, 2017 08:31:41 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #43: Apr 14, 2017 09:51:20 pm
      He earned ÂŁ 14'000'000 while in charge of England. This explains why our country is a laughing stock in world football. I truly hope the next hint of a job he's linked with , the fans of that club stage a protest to hinder his appointment.
      Maybe he can sell his sons watches ?
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1633 
      Reply #44: Apr 15, 2017 11:01:47 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #45: Aug 01, 2017 10:38:40 pm
      Remember back when he was in charge and tried to sign Carlton Cole for us? Well, that said player has been sacked from an Indonesian team for not scoring this season and in the managers words "He plays very badly compared to the other [foreign players] who have joined Persib".

Let that sink in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #46: Aug 01, 2017 10:40:10 pm
      Remember back when he was in charge and tried to sign Carlton Cole for us? Well, that said player has been sacked from an Indonesian team for not scoring this season and in the managers words "He plays very badly compared to the other [foreign players] who have joined Persib".

Let that sink in.

Woy is no doubt alweady on the pwowl to get him for his next managewial wole.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #47: Aug 01, 2017 11:01:24 pm

Let that sink in.

Just didn't the get the move to allow him to flourish!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #48: Aug 01, 2017 11:13:02 pm
      Woy is no doubt alweady on the pwowl to get him for his next managewial wole.

The owl is on the prowl
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Aug 01, 2017 11:51:43 pm
      He'll be managing Leicester by the end of the year. Mark my words.

No way is that walking E FIT Craig Shakespeare seeing the whole season out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #50: Oct 22, 2017 12:54:48 am
      Do you reckon this is the same look he has when he spots a field mouse, the owl looking c**t!!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Oct 30, 2017 09:04:23 am
      Roy Hodgson  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #52: Oct 02, 2018 10:15:30 am
      He was at his best last night after Sakho gifted a penalty to Bournemouth for smashing a player with his forearm he said he didn't intend to do it. I can only suggest Sakho must have some terrible physical disorder and is not in control of his own body.
      To think this man sat where all the great men have sat in the Dug out is just hard to believe ….was it all a dream.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #53: Oct 02, 2018 03:46:41 pm
      He was at his best last night after Sakho gifted a penalty to Bournemouth for smashing a player with his forearm he said he didn't intend to do it. I can only suggest Sakho must have some terrible physical disorder and is not in control of his own body.
      To think this man sat where all the great men have sat in the Dug out is just hard to believe ….was it all a dream.

It was a horrible horrible nightmare, but look how far we have risen since then and plenty more to come.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #54: Dec 22, 2018 05:05:40 pm
      Bump,first time saying this Walk on Roy!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #55: Dec 22, 2018 05:06:05 pm
      All is forgiven 👍🏼
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #56: Dec 22, 2018 05:07:59 pm

Nah - nowhere near
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #57: Dec 22, 2018 05:08:25 pm
      Today he is in our good books, mine at least!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #58: Dec 22, 2018 05:08:28 pm
      Love you Roy

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #59: Dec 22, 2018 10:25:41 pm
      Nice one Hodgo
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #60: Dec 23, 2018 06:41:44 am
      IT was about time Woy  gave us some payback after nearly taking L.F.C. into oblivion.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #61: Dec 23, 2018 02:04:30 pm
      He even had time quote Shankley in his interview.   Whohohay get in there!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #63: Mar 25, 2019 09:05:40 pm
      Even if it’s real it doesn’t surprise me with that buffoon, think we’d have been better off with the dozen eggs .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #64: Mar 25, 2019 09:17:13 pm

Really wouldn’t surprise me but then this bit is a daft thing for the lad to say;

"It was a bit difficult for Liverpool to replace me,"

Not sure how he has worked that one out, he was a nipper who if I remember rightly was still quite far off being even considered for the first team.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #65: Mar 26, 2019 07:08:51 pm
      Does anyone know which Alex he was referring to?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #66: Mar 26, 2019 07:15:41 pm
      Always enjoy Roy's return to Anfield, providing it is only as opposition manager.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #67: Apr 18, 2020 01:34:42 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #68: Apr 18, 2020 02:19:21 pm
      Ten times Phil McNulty got his football predictions very wrong

No 3.

Liverpool's 'perfect' appointment turns into a shambles

When Liverpool appointed Roy Hodgson as successor to sacked Rafa Benitez in July 2010 there was unquestionably a logic behind the decision.

Liverpool were a great club left in reduced circumstances by the dysfunctional American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and Hodgson, at the time, represented a safe pair of hands with an imminent change of ownership on the way.

Hodgson had performed the unlikely feat of taking Fulham to the Europa League final, where they lost to Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, and had experience of taking charge of a European superpower at Inter Milan.

He had also just been voted the League Managers' Association Manager Of The Year.

What could possibly go wrong - apart from just about everything?

My suggestion Hodgson was "perfect" for Liverpool was, in retrospect, a description that may only have suited those praying for the club's demise.

Hodgson never came to terms with the job, albeit a difficult one at the time.

Liverpool were dumped out the Carling Cup by League Two Northampton Town at Anfield in September and The Kop was calling for their idol Kenny Dalglish during a home defeat by newly promoted Blackpool in October.

Hodgson was sacked by new owners Fenway Sports Group in January with Liverpool 12th and having won only seven of 20 league games.

Not "perfect" at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52291817

Nearly 10 yrs ago, still can't believe it happened even though I supported him for about 4 weeks into the season, then bye bye.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #69: Apr 18, 2020 02:55:30 pm
      His comments regarding the nhs last week were spot on. Just a shame he was never and should never have been in the position to be Liverpool manager.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #70: Apr 18, 2020 03:06:45 pm
      Roy Hodgson must be by far, the worst manager Liverpool have ever had, by a fair distance !
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #71: Apr 18, 2020 03:38:26 pm
      urgh bad times,don't really blame him for taking the job.But i had a good few arguments with the ya gotta support him types,when ya knew he was just a H and G stooge.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #72: Apr 18, 2020 04:24:33 pm
      urgh bad times,don't really blame him for taking the job.But i had a good few arguments with the ya gotta support him types,when ya knew he was just a H and G stooge.

Obviously an unwanted parting present, from these two cowboys !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #73: Apr 18, 2020 10:59:41 pm
      Obviously an unwanted parting present, from these two cowboys !

Wasn't even their appointment really, Purslow, Ayres & Broughton hand prints are all over Hodgson's appointment.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #74: Apr 19, 2020 12:44:48 pm
      May 2012.

Bernstein and Brooking appoint him England manager stating the FAs decision would be seen to great and they were delighted.

Four years later after the Iceland defeat he did his last press conference stating " he didn't know what he was doing here " .....except to pick up his cheque.

He never said a truer word.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #75: Apr 19, 2020 02:23:32 pm
      May 2012.

Bernstein and Brooking appoint him England manager stating the FAs decision would be seen to great and they were delighted.

Four years later after the Iceland defeat he did his last press conference stating " he didn't know what he was doing here " .....except to pick up his cheque.

He never said a truer word.

Well we did give him a chant of recognition "Hodgson for England"
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #76: Apr 20, 2020 09:19:27 am
      Roy Hodgson must be by far, the worst manager Liverpool have ever had, by a fair distance !

You evidently were not around when Don Welsh was our manager,he was a total disaster and took us down to the old second division.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #77: Apr 20, 2020 10:05:11 am
      You evidently were not around when Don Welsh was our manager,he was a total disaster and took us down to the old second division.

Before my time, the first manager, I remember was Bill Shankly, you obviously can go back further than me !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #78: Apr 20, 2020 10:37:02 am
      Before my time, the first manager, I remember was Bill Shankly, you obviously can go back further than me !

George Kay was the manager when I first went to Anfield in 1947.He actually won the old 1st division that season and took us to the F.A.Cup final in 1950.That was the final when we beat Everton in the semi final,famous for Bob Paisley scoring and getting dropped for the final itself.No subs in those days.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #79: Apr 20, 2020 01:51:34 pm
      George Kay was the manager when I first went to Anfield in 1947.He actually won the old 1st division that season and took us to the F.A.Cup final in 1950.That was the final when we beat Everton in the semi final,famous for Bob Paisley scoring and getting dropped for the final itself.No subs in those days.

Really good to hear from you, I remember first watching Liverpool beating Leeds united 2  1, in the 1965 cup final on tv of course, and have followed the Reds ever since ! You must have seen many changes in the game over the years, that is for sure ! Take care anyway.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #80: Apr 20, 2020 04:10:00 pm
      Wasn't even their appointment really, Purslow, Ayres & Broughton hand prints are all over Hodgson's appointment.

Yep.

The mythical "safe pair of hands" while they looked for a buyer.

The "Gentleman of English football" turned out to be an arrogant, snobby c**t, much given to snarling at anyone who questioned him.

w**ker.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #81: Apr 23, 2020 05:54:50 pm
      I remember posting this 10 years ago.

The Famous Roy Hodgson Face Rub and Arse Wipe.

Enjoy ....

https://youtu.be/NthURa9grrM

Quick Reply