Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 204469 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jul 11, 2018 01:47:32 am
      Yeah, meaningless going into the next game with yet another mistake on his mind, with more pressure on him. A Tranmere player turned round and said to him "You're f**king sh*t", which goes to show the kind of respect he gets on the pitch now, so let's see just how meaningless this game actually is for a keeper already under a massive amount of pressure.

But, it's your opinion I guess. I've always been a supporter of Karius but ultimately there comes a point when you have to accept that to win silverware, you have to upgrade certain players. We'll see what happens, doesn't matter what either of us think.

Players trash talking. Must be a new thing?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1381: Jul 11, 2018 01:49:05 am
      Players trash talking. Must be a new thing?

I think you are missing the point and as that's the only bit you are actually replying to, I'm leaving it at that.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1382: Jul 11, 2018 07:07:24 am
      Yeah, meaningless going into the next game with yet another mistake on his mind, with more pressure on him. A Tranmere player turned round and said to him "You're F***ing sh*t", which goes to show the kind of respect he gets on the pitch now, so let's see just how meaningless this game actually is for a keeper already under a massive amount of pressure.

But, it's your opinion I guess. I've always been a supporter of Karius but ultimately there comes a point when you have to accept that to win silverware, you have to upgrade certain players. We'll see what happens, doesn't matter what either of us think.

If I was playing against him I'd be reminding him of the CL final as much as I could. He seems like he can be got to, teams will look to exploit it.
      DanMann

• 5,747 posts | 882 
      Reply #1383: Jul 11, 2018 07:52:20 am
      There is a video of another Karius blunder in the warm up session prior to the 1st pre-season match vs Chester.

This lad is not getting any better.

Imagine we go all the way in another tournament. Can anyone be confident Karius would not mess it all up again? No way can those lads have confidence with him in goals.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1384: Jul 11, 2018 08:48:36 am
      Pretty sure I'm not the only coach who tells my players that "you play like you practice and you practice how you play."

Most champions in all kinds of sport put a tonne of work into keeping their skills and focus at the top. I mean, look at what guys like Tom Brady and Lebron James put themselves through to stay legendary. They don't get complacent with their preparation.

Karius? I'm pretty confident that he reckons because he's a bit of a reflex king at training, that he's all good. You know, it's all good to just drop your focus here and there and let that ball slide through your legs. It's just training.

We look at sportspeople like Greg Lemond, Niki Lauda, Monica Seles, Bethany Hamilton, Magic Johnson etc and the real adversities they had to overcome with hard work and focus in order to excel, but our guy just doesn't have that drive. And in a position like keeper, there just isn't anywhere to hide those shortcomings.

It's gotten to the point that we can't spend big on a keeper (unless they have nerves of steel), because Karius' blunders are creating an environment where even a quality keeper could easily fail to cope with over-thinking situations rather than playing their natural games. We could easily become a graveyard for keepers. It's going to be tough.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1385: Jul 11, 2018 08:54:58 am
      Real Madrid have won a ton of Navas in goal, and he's not all that great.

He is a level above Karius. Real Madrid also have Ramons, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo, etc.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1386: Jul 11, 2018 09:09:13 am
      not sure what other mistakes he would need to do before Klopp thinks that enough is enough, he does mistakes in champions league finals, friendlies and even warming up with no one watching (ish). He has demonstrated the same and new basic errors from the start of his LFC career till now, he is simply a poor keeper.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1387: Jul 11, 2018 09:36:43 am
      When it all happened in Kiev I suspected Klopp wouldn't cut him loose.  I expected him to go out on loan for a year, away from England, and hopefully come back mentally stronger.

I certainly wouldn't write his long term career off just yet, but it seems to me now that our tactic of starting with him looks too fraught with danger and will put unnecessary pressure on the lad.

The LFC board will be thinking that the only difference between us having an £80M goalkeeper last season would have been a slightly better chance of winning the extra £6M that Madrid got for winning compared to us.

They will look at it as we got to a Champions League final with him, qualified for next years Champions League with him, so the problem for them is a minor one.  From a pure accounting point of view going out and spending £80M plus higher wages makes no sense.

Ultimately Liverpool haven't been spotting enough good goalkeeping talent down the years, there are big questions over goalkeeping coaching, and it seems to be an area that Klopp doesn't have a huge interest in.  Should have been looking at Pickford last season, should have been looking at that lad Newcastle got last season.  Whole goalkeeping setup isn't competitive enough.

We don't need to buy the world's best goalkeeper, we just need better goalkeepers.  Looking at Karius and Migs that doesn't represent a difficult task for us to achieve.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1388: Jul 11, 2018 09:38:03 am
      not sure what other mistakes he would need to do before Klopp thinks that enough is enough, he does mistakes in champions league finals, friendlies and even warming up with no one watching (ish). He has demonstrated the same and new basic errors from the start of his LFC career till now, he is simply a poor keeper.

I disagree. I don't think he's a poor keeper.

I've seen quite a few strengths in his game since his run in the team actually. In particular, he's quick to release the ball (Mignolet took ages) and he's fairly quick off his line too (again, Mignolet never left his line).

We also saw a good few saves from him too which showed his ability. The one at Everton stands out the most.

I've said it in another thread though that I think he's mentally weak. In my opinion he wouldn't have made the second mistake in Kiev if it wasn't for the first one he made.  Already he looks a shambles in pre season as he knows the spotlight is on him and he's under big pressure to perform.

I'm not convinced he has what it takes to overcome those mental problems to play for a club of our size but i do think there's a decent goalie in there somewhere and we will all see it one day whether it's here or once he moves on.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1389: Jul 11, 2018 09:38:58 am

Liverpool Westerveld ? we seemed to win a few things with him and he was accident prone
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1390: Jul 11, 2018 09:43:22 am
      No I'm using the word realistic, I told you we'd keep Karius.

If that means I'm insane like Klopp I'll take that :laugh:
      Insane..?? Man; you're out there like f**king Pluto  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1391: Jul 11, 2018 09:53:12 am
      He has not really played since the CL final, and after all the stick the has unfairly taken for the lost is it any surprise to see him make a mistake or two...?
      His nerves most be all over the place...

It is after all per-season The time that you can make those mistakes, and get things out of your system with out real cost....

Do we need a quality goal keep...? Yes all day long, just like we need Quality back up's all over the pitch. Everyone needs to fight for there positions, but until we have one Karius is the man
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1392: Jul 11, 2018 09:55:32 am
      When it all happened in Kiev I suspected Klopp wouldn't cut him loose.  I expected him to go out on loan for a year, away from England, and hopefully come back mentally stronger.

I certainly wouldn't write his long term career off just yet, but it seems to me now that our tactic of starting with him looks too fraught with danger and will put unnecessary pressure on the lad.

The LFC board will be thinking that the only difference between us having an £80M goalkeeper last season would have been a slightly better chance of winning the extra £6M that Madrid got for winning compared to us.

They will look at it as we got to a Champions League final with him, qualified for next years Champions League with him, so the problem for them is a minor one.  From a pure accounting point of view going out and spending £80M plus higher wages makes no sense.

Ultimately Liverpool haven't been spotting enough good goalkeeping talent down the years, there are big questions over goalkeeping coaching, and it seems to be an area that Klopp doesn't have a huge interest in.  Should have been looking at Pickford last season, should have been looking at that lad Newcastle got last season.  Whole goalkeeping setup isn't competitive enough.

We don't need to buy the world's best goalkeeper, we just need better goalkeepers.  Looking at Karius and Migs that doesn't represent a difficult task for us to achieve.

Meanwhile Man City are selling a surplus one from their academy to Southamption for 10(+3.5 mil) after he apparently impressed on loan at Norwich. We, on the other hand, had Ward impress the year before at Huddersfield, and then let him languish in Reserves for the year (with the rep of being deemed unworthy of replacing the horrorshow of Mignolet and Karius). Definite question marks.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #1393: Jul 11, 2018 10:09:51 am

I've seen quite a few strengths in his game since his run in the team actually. In particular, he's quick to release the ball (Mignolet took ages) and he's fairly quick off his line too (again, Mignolet never left his line).

We also saw a good few saves from him too which showed his ability. The one at Everton stands out the most.

I've said it in another thread though that I think he's mentally weak. In my opinion he wouldn't have made the second mistake in Kiev if it wasn't for the first one he made.  Already he looks a shambles in pre season as he knows the spotlight is on him and he's under big pressure to perform.

I'm not convinced he has what it takes to overcome those mental problems to play for a club of our size but i do think there's a decent goalie in there somewhere and we will all see it one day whether it's here or once he moves on.

He isn’t really quick off his line. He cost us a penalty against Spurs because he was slow off his line. He’s also done it a few times when he was in danger of giving away a penalty.

He’s an OK GK, better than Mignolet but still short of being a Reina. To me he would be a 2nd GK for a title winning side.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1394: Jul 11, 2018 10:10:47 am

all keepers are capable of a few good saves, especially ones in the prem. however he makes enormous mistakes and has done throughout his Liverpool career.

The pressure will not ease up and he gets backed like all liverpool players when on the pitch.  If people talking on a forum is gonna hurt his ability to catch a ball then he is in the wrong job.

get rid
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1395: Jul 11, 2018 10:18:19 am
      Also seem to remember a goalkeeper in 2005 winning the CL who was absolutely accident prone. The big problem for Karius is not his ability but the ability of the press to focus on every single mistake he makes and they will magnify it out of all proportion.
      I think he will have to go out on loan now at the very least.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #1396: Jul 11, 2018 10:30:04 am
      Season ain't started and some are already on the keepers back...
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1397: Jul 11, 2018 10:35:43 am
      Also seem to remember a goalkeeper in 2005 winning the CL who was absolutely accident prone. The big problem for Karius is not his ability but the ability of the press to focus on every single mistake he makes and they will magnify it out of all proportion.
      I think he will have to go out on loan now at the very least.

The 2005 final symbolises a lesser team showing great fighting qualities in order to win the game. That included an error prone keeper stepping up when it mattered.

Sure, our current team may even still be deemed lesser on paper than some, but despite drawing many and losing a few games last year, we were only very rarely outplayed.

We don't play like a lesser team. But unlike the CL final winning team, we don't have the fighting spirit yet to overcome deflating adversities like keeper howlers or key player injuries during a game against an experienced opponent. Therefore our team can't (and shouldn't) carry Karius, if we want to push for silverware.

The big problem for Karius is his mentality. Unfortunately, we can't separate that from his ability when it directly affects it. I think we all could see other keepers who'd have the mentality and fight to bounce back from this with determination and hard work, but many of us don't see Karius doing so (especially as #1 at a club under the spotlight like ours).
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 523 
      Reply #1398: Jul 11, 2018 11:49:59 am
      Only 2 keepers better than Karius, De Gea and Oblak.

Please tell me you are taking the piss.

[Edit: ah, thankfully, you are taking the piss. Sorry, hard to tell on here some times!]
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018 01:01:59 pm by sore monad »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1399: Jul 11, 2018 12:19:18 pm
      Real Madrid have won a ton of Navas in goal, and he's not all that great.

Navas may not be great but he is a hell of a lot better than Karius. I applaud Klopp for protecting Loris but enough in enough, if we want to win anything then we must get a better GK. If we start the season with Karius then I will be very very pissed off.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #1400: Jul 11, 2018 12:31:55 pm
      Rui patricio, leno, mandanda all moved recently and all better than both our keepers... should go for Kevin trapp now Buffon is at PSG.

If we don’t get a new keeper Klopp will regret the decision when we win F**k all again this season cause of inexcusable goalkeeping errors. No other side would have held out, Pep fu**ed Bravo off immediately and bought Ederson.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #1401: Jul 11, 2018 05:02:49 pm
      If we don’t get a new keeper Klopp will regret the decision when we win f**k all again this season cause of inexcusable goalkeeping errors. No other side would have held out, Pep fu**ed Bravo off immediately and bought Ederson.

I dunno, I guess Pep has all money in the world where he can buy whoever he wants. The way I see it, we're thinking of spending the money somewhere else, where we can score more goals, and hopefully, conceding a few will not matter.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1402: Jul 11, 2018 05:47:24 pm
      I dunno, I guess Pep has all money in the world where he can buy whoever he wants. The way I see it, we're thinking of spending the money somewhere else, where we can score more goals, and hopefully, conceding a few will not matter.
      Goalkeepers are relatively inexpensive compared to positions such as strikers and arguably more important. I'm not convinced even Klopp can get away with winning nothing for another season if ignores goalkeeping problems. Not saying he will get the boot, but he'll get a lot of criticism.

Quick Reply