Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 205038 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #874: May 03, 2018 04:08:10 pm
      Let me put this into perspective for you:

If we had Ederson in goal, we would have lost in the quarterfinals
      If we had Allison in goal, we would have lost in the semifinals

Grass is not greener on the other side, no matter how much you want to believe it.

I don't know where that statement manifested itself???

:f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh:

leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #875: May 03, 2018 04:17:06 pm
      Has anyone even thought does Oblak suit our style of play?

Atleti generally play a low block game we play the opposite, not seen enough of Oblak to say he is any good as a sweeper keeper. Shot stopping Im sure he is fine.

I didn't think of that but you could be right.

I honestly haven't seen enough of him, the few games though he has been usually great.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #876: May 03, 2018 04:31:12 pm
      I didn't think of that but you could be right.

I honestly haven't seen enough of him, the few games though he has been usually great.

He's probably as good as De Gea or Ter Stegen coming out, just not as good as them on the ball (feet wise). But how many times have we seen Karius come out and sweep? I don't recall many.

The best keepers are consistent and dominate, and Oblak is that, however, I am 99.9 certain Klopp will stick with Karius!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #877: May 03, 2018 04:48:36 pm
      The Roma goalkeeper let in 7 he must be really sh*te, The Bayern goalie had a brain fart and gifted Real and Navas looks like he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown everytime a cross or corner comes in.
      Only DeGea and the City goalkeeper are of real world class standard and are nor for sale. DeGea was laughed at by all when he came here and now he is worth 10 or more points a season to UTD.
      Karius claimed a lot of crosses last night he is young and improving and if we tighten up the CB pairing he may even get better.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #878: May 03, 2018 05:27:56 pm
      How have you come to those findings?

Simple, i watched the games and how much better Karius was than the other 2. He simply out-dueled them. When the pressure was on, Ederson melted and Allison did not do any better

City 1st leg:

1st goal: Ederson's butter hands cannot catch a slow dribbler from Firmino and Salah goes on to score. Awful keeping.
      2nd goal: No chance. Ox with a bomb
      3rd goal: Stays glued to his line as Mane heads one in from the edge of the box

City 2nd leg:
      1st goal: Comes out to cut Mane off, ball bounces off him to Salah
      2nd goal: No chance, great finish

That is poor when 3 of the 5 we scored we can fairly say Ederson should have done better, especially in the 1st goal at Anfield that really set the tone for us and went on to beat them comfortable.

And that is not counting during the season when we beat them 4-3 and Ederson was even worse then. Remember the gift to Salah for our 4th?

As for Allison, last night alone he goes down too early on Mane's goal and makes the judgement error to come off his line for Gini's header. He should have realized there was no pace on the ball and Gini was standing so he had no ability to put any power behind his header. If he had stayed on his line it's a simple scoop into his arms.

In the 1st leg he again goes down too early for Salah's 2nd gifting him the entire left side to shoot through and was very unconvincing in Firmino's header for our 5th.

Simple, these "world class" keepers should have stopped a bunch of the 12 goals we put past Roma and City while the ones we conceded only Roma's 2nd last night you can say the goalie should do better. With either of those in goal for us, we're likely the ones eliminated.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #879: May 03, 2018 06:36:40 pm
      Simple, i watched the games and how much better Karius was than the other 2. He simply out-dueled them. When the pressure was on, Ederson melted and Allison did not do any better

City 1st leg:

1st goal: Ederson's butter hands cannot catch a slow dribbler from Firmino and Salah goes on to score. Awful keeping.
      2nd goal: No chance. Ox with a bomb
      3rd goal: Stays glued to his line as Mane heads one in from the edge of the box

City 2nd leg:
      1st goal: Comes out to cut Mane off, ball bounces off him to Salah
      2nd goal: No chance, great finish

That is poor when 3 of the 5 we scored we can fairly say Ederson should have done better, especially in the 1st goal at Anfield that really set the tone for us and went on to beat them comfortable.

And that is not counting during the season when we beat them 4-3 and Ederson was even worse then. Remember the gift to Salah for our 4th?

As for Allison, last night alone he goes down too early on Mane's goal and makes the judgement error to come off his line for Gini's header. He should have realized there was no pace on the ball and Gini was standing so he had no ability to put any power behind his header. If he had stayed on his line it's a simple scoop into his arms.

In the 1st leg he again goes down too early for Salah's 2nd gifting him the entire left side to shoot through and was very unconvincing in Firmino's header for our 5th.

Simple, these "world class" keepers should have stopped a bunch of the 12 goals we put past Roma and City while the ones we conceded only Roma's 2nd last night you can say the goalie should do better. With either of those in goal for us, we're likely the ones eliminated.

When I see your post, I think of this..

Holy nitpicking batman!

Speaking of De Gea, he has been beaten on softer goals this year than Karius has, in addition to that mistake where he misjudged the ball and flapped it into his own net from a close-range soft header instead of tipping it over the bar. Imagine if Karius fu**ed that one up, ;D. People expect Karius (or any of our players) to be robots with a perfect output, or we over analyze every move they make to try to find fault.

Truthfully, it is pathetic. Since taking over the #1 spot Karius has been absolutely terrific, making great saves, being aggressive on crosses, playing a key sweeping role allowing our defense to push higher knowing a long ball over their heads can be swept away by Karius, as well as fast distribution. He's been the complete package knowing no one is perfect so to come out and find sh*t to complain is embarrassing.

Kind of ironic, don't you think? Even more funny is how you are saying we'd lose if we had either Alisson/Ederson in our team after watching them vs us only. And do you really think Karius was the difference and reason why we won?

For those who don't rate Karius and want a new #1, I understand, and for those wanting to keep him, I too understand, but what I don't understand are the people who wear Liverpool glasses and see no fault in his displays.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #880: May 03, 2018 06:59:07 pm
      I was a fan of Mignolet until last January but Karius is a huge improvement of Mignolet. He commanded his area quite brilliantly. From 6 goals against Roma, only one is his fault. He should have put the rebound ball into the stands not in a dangerous position/area.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #881: May 03, 2018 07:09:21 pm
      When I see your post, I think of this..

Kind of ironic, don't you think? Even more funny is how you are saying we'd lose if we had either Alisson/Ederson in our team after watching them vs us only. And do you really think Karius was the difference and reason why we won?

For those who don't rate Karius and want a new #1, I understand, and for those wanting to keep him, I too understand, but what I don't understand are the people who wear Liverpool glasses and see no fault in his displays.

See no fault in his displays? i am the one who told you that every keeper makes mistakes and that you don't need over analyze every play he makes to try to find fault in it. "Would a better keeper have stopped Dzeko's goal", you asked after the 1st leg, ignoring he was left alone 1v1 Karius at the top of the box. However, that same question can be raised about Ederson and Allison's performances, 2 goalies highly lauded and gushed over with one being a desired target as a supposed improvement.

Highlighting that those 2 keepers did poorly against us goes to show they are not really any better than what we currently have in Karius, and that he has been very good and clearly outperformed both when it mattered the most, in the quarters and semi finals of the biggest club event in world football.

With a better keeper for Roma we could have conceivably lost the tie.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #882: May 03, 2018 07:28:44 pm
      See no fault in his displays? i am the one who told you that every keeper makes mistakes and that you don't need over analyze every play he makes to try to find fault in it. "Would a better keeper have stopped Dzeko's goal", you asked after the 1st leg, ignoring he was left alone 1v1 Karius at the top of the box. However, that same question can be raised about Ederson and Allison's performances, 2 goalies highly lauded and gushed over with one being a desired target as a supposed improvement.

I wasn't pointing out mistakes when replying to you, but more your post defending Karius and nitpicking, but ironically, you are doing the exact same thing, but this time, using players you have only seen twice or 3 times ;)

And as for mistakes, every GK makes mistakes, but as I alluded to before, it's the key ones (something Migs would do and get hammered for) that are creeping in and starting to become a concern. However, I am sure he will get a season under his belt, but he really needs to iron them out.

And ask yourself this, why are Ederson and Alisson being highly lauded and gushed over ?

Highlighting that those 2 keepers did poorly against us goes to show they are not really any better than what we currently have in Karius, and that he has been very good and clearly outperformed both when it mattered the most, in the quarters and semi finals of the biggest club event in world football.

No it doesn't. What if Utd had gone through to the Qf or Sf and played us with De Gea playing poorly against us? Does that mean our GK is better? :S

With a better keeper for Roma we could have conceivably lost the tie.

Or we could have won.....

CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #883: May 03, 2018 07:48:42 pm
      I wasn't pointing out mistakes when replying to you, but more your post defending Karius and nitpicking, but ironically, you are doing the exact same thing, but this time, using players you have only seen twice or 3 times ;)

And ask yourself this, why are Ederson and Alisson being highly lauded and gushed over ?

So how many times does someone need to see a GK to determine where he's good or not? what's your magic #? Yea, let's ignore the meltdowns they had in the games they played against us, because the youtube highlight reels tell us the real story, right?Ederson i have seen enough times in the PL to know he makes plenty of mistakes, and Allison had the stage to shine on and live up to his world class hype and failed, regardless of your defense of him.

Who gushes over them? generally those people who have it against a player and think that the players the other teams have are better. Butland, Schmeichel, Allison are 3 that immediately come to mind as having read posters say we should target as a replacement, but neither are any improvement over what we currently have, and we saw that right in front of our very own eyes.

Here's a quick article on Allison after yesterday's game.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-match/60/post/3474012/liverpool-snuff-out-roma-comeback-as-karius-outshines-alisson-to-reach-ucl-final

2. Karius might have seen off the threat of Alisson

This semifinal has been a tale of two goalkeepers, but the script hasn't quite turned out as many would have anticipated.

Ahead of the first leg at Anfield, much of the talk surrounded Roma's Alisson Becker, the Brazil No. 1 who has been linked to both Liverpool and Real Madrid in recent months. Good enough to be keeping Manchester City's Ederson out of the Brazil team, Alisson was highlighted as one of Roma's strong points -- a key factor if they were to make it to the final.

In contrast, Liverpool's Loris Karius was the man under pressure, with Alisson's shadow looming over him at Anfield. The German has seen off Simon Mignolet to become Liverpool's first choice, but he is still prone to errors and that is why Klopp has been urged to sign a proven replacement.

On the evidence of the two legs of this semifinal, though, Karius is improving rapidly and growing in confidence. Although he could have done better with the shot that he palmed out to Dzeko for Roma's second, Karius was otherwise commanding and assured.

Alisson, meanwhile, did little to stem the Liverpool tide and did not cover himself in glory at Anfield or in this game. The Brazilian does not command his area as a keeper of his stature should, and he commits himself too early, which might have been a factor in Mane's opener in this game.

His film-star looks might remind one of a matinee idol, but as a supposedly world-class goalkeeper his performance has been decidedly B-list.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #884: May 03, 2018 08:12:45 pm
      I'm back and better than ever! 

Way to go Fed..........really setting a high bar there fella 🙄
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #885: May 03, 2018 08:27:50 pm
      Has anyone even thought does Oblak suit our style of play?

Atleti generally play a low block game we play the opposite, not seen enough of Oblak to say he is any good as a sweeper keeper. Shot stopping Im sure he is fine.

At least one person who gets it. People need to learn to stop looking at a goalkeeper as a lone individual on the pitch and more as part of a defensive unit.

Compare the situation (not both goalkeepers) to Pope at Burnley. Huge amount of saves this season, suddenly in the race to go to the World Cup. Does anyone really think he's a great goalkeeper? I certainly don't. He is bang average. Certain types of goalkeepers get protected in certain types of setups. Teams like Burnley, United, Atletico, ... They all do the same, low block, limit the amount of close range shots and the angles of shots the opposition gets. It's the reason why Mignolet and Pickford looked decent at Sunderland and why they're poor at Liverpool and the bitters. Pickford has improved slightly, but still not good enough.

Oblak is a great goalkeeper, no doubt about that. He is brilliant on his line and has great reflexes. How often though do you see him in 1 v 1 situations with a striker? How often does he leave his box to intercept a pass in behind his defence? How often does he start counterattacks by a quick throw or accurate pass? Karius has started multiple attacks that have lead to us scoring.

Those are all qualities Karius does have and contrary to popular belief, he is quite solid on high balls, as he showed yesterday. I genuinely think Oblak would struggle in our setup. That doesn't mean he's a poor goalkeeper. As a team you try to mask some players' weaknesses. His are masked perfectly in the way Atletico set up. They would be horribly exposed in our or City's setup.

Karius is my #1 going forward, whether Klopp sees it the same way or not, I think he has shown that he can play at the level required. Yes, he makes mistakes, no doubt, but the way he plays he'll win us far more points than he'll end up costing us. Allison isn't the answer.

(At this very second, Oblak with a very lucky pass in the Arsenal game.)
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2018 08:32:26 pm by Danzel »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #886: May 03, 2018 09:04:23 pm
      At least one person who gets it. People need to learn to stop looking at a goalkeeper as a lone individual on the pitch and more as part of a defensive unit.

Compare the situation (not both goalkeepers) to Pope at Burnley. Huge amount of saves this season, suddenly in the race to go to the World Cup. Does anyone really think he's a great goalkeeper? I certainly don't. He is bang average. Certain types of goalkeepers get protected in certain types of setups. Teams like Burnley, United, Atletico, ... They all do the same, low block, limit the amount of close range shots and the angles of shots the opposition gets. It's the reason why Mignolet and Pickford looked decent at Sunderland and why they're poor at Liverpool and the bitters. Pickford has improved slightly, but still not good enough.

Oblak is a great goalkeeper, no doubt about that. He is brilliant on his line and has great reflexes. How often though do you see him in 1 v 1 situations with a striker? How often does he leave his box to intercept a pass in behind his defence? How often does he start counterattacks by a quick throw or accurate pass? Karius has started multiple attacks that have lead to us scoring.

Those are all qualities Karius does have and contrary to popular belief, he is quite solid on high balls, as he showed yesterday. I genuinely think Oblak would struggle in our setup. That doesn't mean he's a poor goalkeeper. As a team you try to mask some players' weaknesses. His are masked perfectly in the way Atletico set up. They would be horribly exposed in our or City's setup.

Karius is my #1 going forward, whether Klopp sees it the same way or not, I think he has shown that he can play at the level required. Yes, he makes mistakes, no doubt, but the way he plays he'll win us far more points than he'll end up costing us. Allison isn't the answer.

(At this very second, Oblak with a very lucky pass in the Arsenal game.)

You don't know that, it's impossible for any of us to know that. In fact to write him off being able to play that way is strange given how Klopp has turned Firmino into a quality #9, and people said he wasn't suited to that role. Can you also say you've seen enough of Oblak to be sure of this?

As much as we'd like to think Karius is a good sweeper keeper, I think he is still adapting to playing in that kind of way. There's been a few times he has charged out and got caught out, luckily he got away with it vs Roma yesterday. There is also moments where he is a bit too hesitant and doesn't know when to come off his line; he got a bollocking from Hendo yesterday for staying on his line with a ball over the top of our defence. He made a good save but he should have come off his line.

It's strange of you to say one keeper isn't suited to us whilst saying Karius is more suited. Karius has been good, and his quick distribution is a really good thing to see but he is still far from being completely settled in playing the way Klopp wants him to play. The last few games is probably the least impressed I've been with him though, since returning as first choice; the mistakes have been creeping in, his positioning has been more hesitant and his kicking has been very mixed. He's far from being a Migs but it seemed that yesterday especially, for every good thing, an error followed.

Right now he's a country mile ahead of Migs and I hope it stays that way because it'd be good if he can go on to become one of the best around but I certainly wouldn't be writing off a keeper at the calibre of Oblak, especially when Klopp has a knack of getting players to adapt their game for the better.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2018 09:08:43 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #887: May 03, 2018 09:42:51 pm

Well that's not saying much.  "At least he's not as terrible as Mignolet."

Neither of them is good enough.

We win despite them, not because of them.

Good to see you back posting even if your moaning! I'm in full agreement on karius. He has been an upgrade on Mignolet but is still a million miles off the likes of De gea, Courtois who are the two best in the EPL for me. Last night the save he put straight out to Naingolan was a shocker and had the off side flag stayed down (as it should have) he's given away a pen and possibly a red card for taking out Dzeko. As for Allison, I'd take him in a heart beat.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #888: May 03, 2018 09:43:03 pm

You don't know that, it's impossible for any of us to know that. In fact to write him off being able to play that way is strange given how Klopp has turned Firmino into a quality #9, and people said he wasn't suited to that role. Can you also say you've seen enough of Oblak to be sure of this?

As much as we'd like to think Karius is a good sweeper keeper, I think he is still adapting to playing in that kind of way. There's been a few times he has charged out and got caught out, luckily he got away with it vs Roma yesterday. There is also moments where he is a bit too hesitant and doesn't know when to come off his line; he got a bollocking from Hendo yesterday for staying on his line with a ball over the top of our defence. He made a good save but he should have come off his line.

It's strange of you to say one keeper isn't suited to us whilst saying Karius is more suited. Karius has been good, and his quick distribution is a really good thing to see but he is still far from being completely settled in playing the way Klopp wants him to play. The last few games is probably the least impressed I've been with him though, since returning as first choice; the mistakes have been creeping in, his positioning has been more hesitant and his kicking has been very mixed. He's far from being a Migs but it seemed that yesterday especially, for every good thing, an error followed.

Right now he's a country mile ahead of Migs and I hope it stays that way because it'd be good if he can go on to become one of the best around but I certainly wouldn't be writing off a keeper at the calibre of Oblak, especially when Klopp has a knack of getting players to adapt their game for the better.

Klopp doesn't train goalkeepers, he has even admitted that he barely does any work with them and that that's down to the goalkeeper coach, which is why he isn't bothered with Achterberg at all. Contrary to many fans who have been blaming him for our goalkeeper issues the past few years. He stuck with Weidenfeller for many years, even though it was generally accepted that Weidenfeller really wasn't that good a goalkeeper. Klopp obviously wasn't bothered. I think I have seen quite a bit of Oblak, which is why I said he's obviously a very good goalkeeper. Wouldn't be giving my opinion on him if I hadn't seen him play enough to do so.

You can't compare turning a #10 / inside forward like Firmino was at Hoffenheim into a #9 to turning a goalkeeper who barely leaves his six yard box into a sweeper keeper which is required to play in our system.

Yes, Karius is still adapting to playing with us, but I think it's clear to see that he has the physical attributes and the right mindset to play in our system? Keepers in that system, whether it be Neuer, Allisson, Karius, Ederson, ... They will always have tough decisions to make and sometimes they'll look like an absolute idiot coming for a ball they shouldn't be coming for. It's really the risk you take when you play with pro-active keepers.

I fully agree that Karius doesn't look completely settled yet, all I'm saying is that for me, he is our #1 going forward. How long has he been in the starting eleven now? How often has he played with a settled back four? Give him the chance to play a full season, with a settled back four in front of him. He'll only get better. Decision making is something you can improve on. It's much harder to change a player's mindset (In my opinion, of course).

Not writing off Oblak at all, he'll probably go on to become one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Just don't think he'd suit us.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2018 10:53:39 pm by Danzel »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #889: May 03, 2018 09:48:30 pm
      Just a thought I pondered yesterday. If the champions league final went to pens and we still had a sub to use would you sub in Migd ahead of Karius for the shootout?

I think I probably would.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #890: May 03, 2018 09:53:17 pm
      Just a thought I pondered yesterday. If the champions league final went to pens and we still had a sub to use would you sub in Migd ahead of Karius for the shootout?

I think I probably would.

You would have to with his record for sure.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #891: May 03, 2018 09:56:33 pm
      Karius will be our #1 for years to come ,he'll only get better patience is needed.We're into the final and all the misers are coming out of the woodwork ffs.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #892: May 03, 2018 10:05:49 pm
      You would have to with his record for sure.

I remember Van Gaal did it at the last World Cup. It obviously pissed off his number keeper but they won the shootout and went through to the semi-final if I recall correctly. For all of his faults I do like Migs when it comes to pens.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #893: May 03, 2018 10:12:31 pm

I do agree with Danzel that a proper sweeper keeper is more suited to how we play, but that doesn't mean Oblak isn't the right option. But also, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for the keeper role. We already have a good keeper that has helped improved out defence, and all he needs is to play and gain more experience and could potentially be as good as any other keeper in world football (could also turn sh*t too), but that doesn't mean there are no upgrades around.

When Migs was in the team, was sweeping keeping the real problem and reason why we conceded stupid goals? It wasn't, was it? So imagine an Oblak who is 100x the player Migs is? And not like he is slow like Migs, Forster, Butland etc.

Never once could I see Can capable of playing box-box, I thought Coutinho would suffer under Rodgers in the midfield role and even more so under Klopp, I didn't think Milner was capable of doing what he has done in midfield this season, nor did I think he would be a decent option as left back.  So yeah, I am sure Oblak would fit into our team and we'd still be as strong, if not stronger.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #894: May 03, 2018 10:19:56 pm
      Karius will be our #1 for years to come ,he'll only get better patience is needed.We're into the final and all the misers are coming out of the woodwork ffs.

just doesn't feel right slagging of the lads that have got us to a final again after 11 years and only the 8th Liverpool team to do it and break a load of records on the way but lets focus on Karius.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #895: May 03, 2018 10:22:22 pm
      just doesn't feel right slagging of the lads that have got us to a final again after 11 years and only the 8th Liverpool team to do it and break a load of records on the way but lets focus on Karius.

I don't think anyone is slagging him off? Well, maybe only federer by calling him sh*te :D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #896: May 03, 2018 10:41:01 pm
      I said a couple of months ago he'll never be good enough to be our number one and whilst he has improved significantly (and is obviously clearly better than Mignolet) I've not really changed that opinion.

If we want to challenge for the title next year we need better than Karius.

Quick Reply