Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202405 times
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Loris Karius (End of Contract)
      May 24, 2016 05:08:05 pm

Liverpool Football Club have confirmed a deal has been reached to sign goalkeeper Loris Karius from FSV Mainz 05.

The 22-year-old has agreed a long-term contract with the Reds to tie up a move from the Bundesliga side after completing a medical on Merseyside.

Speaking about the switch to Anfield, Karius told Liverpoolfc.com: “It’s a very good feeling and it’s an honour to play for a club like this.

“They have a special history and the fans are amazing here, so I look forward to playing at Anfield.

“I know a lot about the club from watching them on TV. The history, everybody who plays football knows. There a lot of things in my head when I think of this club.

“I spoke to the manager and I had a good feeling afterwards because he told me what he wants to do with the club and with the players.

“It was a good talk with him and after that I was convinced this was the right decision.”

Karius, who has represented Germany at U21 level, made 34 Bundesliga appearances last season, keeping nine clean sheets to help Mainz to a sixth-place finish.

He becomes Liverpool’s second new arrival of the summer so far after a deal was agreed earlier this year to sign Joel Matip following the conclusion of his current deal with FC Schalke.

Karius will officially become registered as a Reds player on July 1.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/222991-liverpool-agree-deal-to-sign-loris-karius

Jürgen Klopp has spoken of his delight at the capture of Loris Karius after Liverpool secured a deal for the FSV Mainz 05 goalkeeper on Tuesday afternoon.

The 22-year-old agreed a long-term contract with the Reds at Melwood after passing a medical. He will officially become the club’s second summer signing on July 1.

Karius will wear the No.1 jersey for Liverpool and Klopp feels his arrival will serve to bolster the strength of the ‘keeping options at his disposal in 2016-17.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am delighted we have signed Loris, he has had a fantastic season with Mainz and has developed into a very good goalkeeper since his return to Germany.

“I am really pleased that we were able to move so quickly to get him and that Loris has shown such a desire to come to Liverpool with a lot of other clubs interested in him.

“I know he will add to the quality we have in this position and I look forward to working with him and all our players when we return for pre-season.”

Liverpool have confirmed Loris Karius has been allocated the No.1 jersey at Anfield.

The goalkeeper, who agreed a long-term contract with the Reds on Tuesday afternoon, will inherit the squad number when he officially becomes registered with the club on July 1.

The shirt had previously been left vacant for the duration of the 2015-16 season following the departure of Brad Jones from the club last summer.

Other ‘keepers to have worn the jersey include Jerzy Dudek, Sander Westerveld and David James.

After Loris Karius completed a deal to join Liverpool today, we take a closer look at the German goalkeeper's career so far and the journey that has brought him to Anfield.

The stopper’s progress properly took off following a move to Jürgen Klopp’s former club Mainz in 2011, though his development as a youngster had already involved spells with several domestic sides and, notably, Manchester City.

Born in the southern town of Biberach, Karius represented FV Biberach, SG Mettenberg, SSV Ulm 1846 and Stuttgart at youth level – before an early move to England beckoned for the 6ft2 custodian.

Having been picked out by City’s scouts, he joined the Manchester club in the summer of 2009 and featured for their U18s and U21s, but never for the first team.

Instead it was at Mainz where Loris would earn senior recognition, with a debut arriving in December 2012 as a second-half substitute during a 2-1 home victory against Hannover in the Bundesliga.

Loris Karius facts and figures

Saved 74.23 per cent of the attempts he faced in 2015-16 Bundesliga
      Ever-present last season and took 1,373 touches in 3,060 minutes of play
      Voted second-best goalkeeper in the division by fellow professionals
      Chosen vacant No.1 shirt at Liverpool last worn by Brad Jones
      Follow the German on Facebook here and Instagram here
      There were no further appearances in that season but Karius’ promotion to first-choice at Coface Arena came in 2013-14, when he clocked up 23 matches in the league.

His agility and reactions in shot-stopping, as well as impressive awareness and composure around the penalty area, belied his relatively young age for a ‘keeper and the transition to top-flight football was smooth.

Loris missed just one Bundesliga fixture in the following campaign as Mainz consolidated their mid-table position, and he was subsequently ever-present – playing every single minute – in the recently-completed 2015-16 season.

Nine clean sheets, including a vital one against Hertha Berlin on the final day, helped his team rise to sixth place in the standings and secure qualification for the Europa League on goal difference.

Such was his personal form, in fact, that a Kicker magazine survey saw 235 Bundesliga players vote Karius as the second-best goalkeeper in the division, behind only Manuel Neuer with 13.6 per cent of the total.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2022 12:00:35 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #1: May 24, 2016 05:09:52 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool, Loris! Finally we have a decent keeper that wears the number 1 shirt. Can't wait to see what he's capable of in that dire green kit of ours :D

Check this for piss poor reading...

"Other ‘keepers to have worn the jersey include Jerzy Dudek, Sander Westerveld and David James." Throw in Brad Jones too.  :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2: May 24, 2016 05:12:29 pm
      I like how this was wrapped up quickly. Hopefully he can come in and challenge Migs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2016 05:12:36 pm
      Gruß Loris
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: May 24, 2016 05:14:37 pm
      Welcome Loris  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

We expect big things of you lad but I'm sure you'll deliver if people give you a chance  ;D

Bit of cutie and looks even hotter in Liverpool Red  :D
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #5: May 24, 2016 05:15:07 pm
      Welcome Loris. We're not short of handsome Germans, Emre, Karius and Jürgen himself.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #6: May 24, 2016 05:15:39 pm
      I like how this was wrapped up quickly. Hopefully he can come in and challenge Migs.

He won't challenge Mignolet mate, he will immediately replace him in the first team.

I actually believe Migs will be sold in the Summer and another back up keeper signed in his place.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #7: May 24, 2016 05:16:49 pm
      Welcome Loris. We're not short of handsome Germans, Emre, Karius and Jürgen himself.

We all dream of a team of handsome Germans! :P
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: May 24, 2016 05:17:34 pm
      He won't challenge Mignolet mate, he will immediately replace him in the first team.

I actually believe Migs will be sold in the Summer and another back up keeper signed in his place.

Nah not likely we'll get shut of Mignolet yet, plus Loris won't be able to play in our first couple of league games as he's been selected for the German team to play in the Olympics.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: May 24, 2016 05:24:34 pm
      Welcome Loris and work hard to gain your place and get a legendary status with determination.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: May 24, 2016 05:30:16 pm
      Absolutely fantastic news, welcome to the club Loris, get the feeling you're going to be a brilliant signing.

Makes the 5 year deal for Migs look more and more like it was to secure his services as a back-up or protect the asset after all, who'd have thunked it :D

Exactly how a squad should be improved, knock the starting player down to back up and replace with better quality, fantastic news. Anyone with a problem with the price should take a look at all those that seem to be singing his praises. I think if he didn't have a buyout clause so cheap we'd have paid 3 or 4 times that. Great bit of business, here's to many more this summer.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #11: May 24, 2016 05:30:48 pm
      he'll get slaughtered for punching crosses away
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: May 24, 2016 05:32:49 pm
      #1... Bit of psychology going there...

Welcome to the club ..... That's our number one keeper right there...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13: May 24, 2016 05:38:22 pm
      If he isn't good enough to walk straight in and be our first choice keeper we've bought a right flippin dud lets be honest  :lmao:. He MUST be better than Migs surely.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: May 24, 2016 05:41:58 pm
      So... best looking signing since... Alonso? :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: May 24, 2016 05:43:24 pm
      So... best looking signing since... Alonso? :D

Can... :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: May 24, 2016 05:44:07 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about him!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: May 24, 2016 05:46:45 pm
      He'll be challenging Lallana for the star billing in the Nivea ads that's for sure  ;D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #18: May 24, 2016 05:49:45 pm
      Welcome to the club Karius

Hoping he is better than Mignolet
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #19: May 24, 2016 05:55:04 pm
      Welcome Loris ,  to the best football club in the world ! Good to see youth strengthening our team YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: May 24, 2016 05:56:53 pm
      I never have seen any action of the keeper, for what I have read. He is good keeper with high potential.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #21: May 24, 2016 06:01:21 pm
      Welcome to the club. Good to see the new manager getting stuck into our problem areas.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #22: May 24, 2016 06:13:55 pm
      Welcome to the best club in the world
      Loris,looking forward to seeing you between the sticks.
      Like the way we are getting our business sorted early,hope it continues.

Quick Reply