Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202316 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #736: Feb 11, 2018 10:08:10 pm

Fair play to the kid for putting the L on the end of our team name.  Must have been a massive temptation not to.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #737: Feb 11, 2018 10:54:19 pm
      Going to be interesting.  I feel like he's backed himself into a corner that he's going to have to play Mignolet which, lets face it, means curtains for any outside chance of us going on to win that competition.

Interesting that he's been placed second in the last two MOTM polls on the forum as well.  Take that as a positive.

He's (Karius) definitely improved since the last time he got a run in the side.  His form is good - so I'd play Karius against Porto - and if Jürgen's made up his mind to get rid of Migs come summer, then there's no real need to be trying to keep him happy/motivated by giving him games/rotating if he really doesn't think he's the best option.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #738: Feb 12, 2018 01:28:09 am
      Wonder if Klopp giving the job to Karius will allow him to settle and see him improve his form? He seems more at ease the last couple of games. Be interesting to see if he keeps his place in CL.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #739: Feb 12, 2018 02:14:05 am
      Wonder if Klopp giving the job to Karius will allow him to settle and see him improve his form? He seems more at ease the last couple of games. Be interesting to see if he keeps his place in CL.

Certainly appears more settled.
      He is only 24 and has only played 15 games for us in his career.
      I don’t think he will ever become an utterly top class keeper but there is certainly room for improvement and one that will come by being number 1 for us for the rest of the season.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #740: Feb 12, 2018 02:33:06 am
      I don’t think he will ever become an utterly top class keeper but there is certainly room for improvement and one that will come by being number 1 for us for the rest of the season.

15 games? Jeeze - it's less than I thought. The way some were talking about him it was as if he'd played 200 odd games for us in 4 and a bit years.
      Kopite78
      Reply #741: Feb 12, 2018 09:46:35 am

He's actually played 31 ( 16 last season, 15 this)

I think he's been really good these last couple of games, If he keeps improving then we could be about to save a fortune on a new keeper and put those funds elsewhere

He's quick off his line, the save he made yesterday and against son last week Mignolet would never make. His distribution is quicker and better, his decision making on punching also makes us better at the back because the defenders in front of him know what he is going to do.

It's a big 3 months for Karius
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #742: Feb 12, 2018 10:09:06 am
      Would be madness on Jurgens behalf to drop him for the rest of the season.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #743: Feb 12, 2018 10:21:53 am
      It's a strange sight watching a Liverpool goalkeeper making saves and commanding his area.  I could get used to it.

Cannot believe Klopp would even consider putting that other buffoon in goal for one of the most important games of the season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #744: Feb 12, 2018 12:12:57 pm
      He has improved and has more confident! He needs to keep going if he wants to be here much longer. Loris saved us points yesterday against the Saints.

Well done from a fan of Mignolet (not much longer if he continues like yesterday.)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #745: Feb 12, 2018 11:10:00 pm
      15 games, 8 clean sheets, 1 defeat apparently.

Saved us against Saints, not for the first time he's kept them out well. Improving with each game, amazing what happens when you give  a keeper a proper chance instead of sticking with someone who is clearly not good enough.

Played a big part in the first goal too, quick release of the ball and then we go on and score straight away.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #746: Feb 13, 2018 12:58:38 am
      15 games, 8 clean sheets, 1 defeat apparently.

Saved us against Saints, not for the first time he's kept them out well. Improving with each game, amazing what happens when you give  a keeper a proper chance instead of sticking with someone who is clearly not good enough.

Played a big part in the first goal too, quick release of the ball and then we go on and score straight away.

Like someone has already posted ... Mignolet would have still been holding the ball !

He has come on enormously and we are seeing why he plays at international level for Germany.

Has instilled confidence in the defence ... you can see it.   

Theres a spine there with Lorius , Virgil and Bobby.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #747: Feb 13, 2018 01:01:14 am
      Theres a spine there with Lorius , Virgil and Bobby.

Just need that one midfielder to glue everyone together (I don't think it should be Keita, but it can if he plays as the hub).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #748: Feb 13, 2018 05:15:27 am
      Has to start against Porto. No excuses.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #749: Feb 13, 2018 09:23:49 pm
      Has to start against Porto. No excuses.

Loris Karius to start Reds' Porto clash
      Loris Karius will retain his place in Liverpool's goal for Wednesday night's Champions League fixture with FC Porto, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

The ‘keeper has been given the nod to start between the sticks for the last-16, first-leg tie at the Estadio do Dragao.

Klopp also had words of praise for Karius’ performance in Sunday’s 2-0 victory over Southampton as he confirmed the news to Liverpoolfc.com.

Speaking on-board the team flight to Portugal, the boss said: “Loris will start.

“For all goalkeepers it is the same, they need that [confidence]. I don’t like to talk too much about it because we are only interested in the next game, but [his performance at Southampton] was important.

“There were a few really good saves, important saves, good decisions – really smart decisions with quick restarts and stuff like that.

“He was involved in the game, was open and it was just a good performance from him.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/290741-loris-karius-to-start-reds-porto-clash

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #750: Feb 14, 2018 09:54:59 pm
      Was useless tonight couldn't even be arsed making a single save!
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #751: Feb 14, 2018 10:58:56 pm
      Looking assured now, just needed a run of games.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #752: Feb 14, 2018 11:24:18 pm
      Another clean sheet! Keep them coming lad
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #753: Feb 15, 2018 12:21:45 am
      Another clean sheet! Keep them coming lad

I do like the communication now Big Virgil is in the team.
      He was torn a new one when Virgil originally came into the team,
      but I think he encourages Karius to be aggressive, which Karius is anyway.

Love it.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #754: Feb 15, 2018 08:04:43 pm

Love it.

Communication is key, certainly between the defensive triangle of the goalkeeper and the two CB's. As a CB you need to know when your goalkeeper will come for it and as a goalkeeper you need to know what your CB will do in certain situations. Them finally being given a run of games together will do them the world of good. They need to develop that understanding. Van Dijk calling him to come collect the ball shows when he expects his goalkeeper to come and when he doesn't, good stuff.

Hopefully Karius steps it up too and becomes a bit more vocal, that should come with time. A vocal goalkeeper is a huge help as a CB. I love playing in front of a vocal goalkeeper, you're always at ease and they'll constantly be telling you about the movements of the forwards etc.

Been a fan of Karius since his last season at Mainz and I've been calling for him to start pretty much all season. Very happy Klopp finally made a final decision on the goalkeeper matter for the time being.

One thing that does my head in, as mentioned by other posters, is the crowd at games and how they react to his every move. If you're there, support the lad, don't make him even more anxious, it just doesn't help or instill confidence at all. He's still fairly new and in my opinion he has been unfairly crucified by both the fans and the media last season and at the start of this season.

The media also had a big role to play in it. If they don't like you, they just push this agenda and pundits are all to happy to just go along with it. You don't hear them mentioning how poor Schmeichel has been lately, or when Lloris fucks up yet again, or Cech who has been piss poor for months and very little was said about how poor Ederson was against us just because the media love having a wankfest. Yet Karius' game gets analysed into oblivion, down to bloody inches of "where he should have been". They've had it in for him ever since he arrived. Ridiculous.

I hope he keeps improving and I'm happy to see he has found back that confidence and touch of arrogance he had about him at Mainz, every goalkeeper needs some of that.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #755: Feb 15, 2018 09:32:41 pm

Love it.

Funny you mention communication mate I had a chuckle to myself when Karius came out to catch a ball calling for it and Virgil cleared it in front of his nose leaving Loris with a handful of his hair instead.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #756: Feb 15, 2018 09:37:58 pm
      Funny you mention communication mate I had a chuckle to myself when Karius came out to catch a ball calling for it and Virgil cleared it in front of his nose leaving Loris with a handful of his hair instead.

:lmao:

I remember yelling at my laptop:"TALK FOR GOD'S SAKE!"
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #757: Feb 15, 2018 09:52:27 pm

He's also very good at getting rid of the ball. :D
      Remember Everton when he constantly shouted at Karius.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #758: Feb 15, 2018 10:33:54 pm

:lmao:

I remember yelling at my laptop:"TALK FOR GOD'S SAKE!"
      It is still communication, he is trying to read his mind.

Quick Reply