Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 204973 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #1311: Jul 06, 2018 07:46:29 pm
      Sorry but I'm fairly sure a successful manager, ie one who hasn't lost 6 finals on the bounce(3 of them with us) , would not stick with Karius, for example no way in hell a Maureen, Fergie or our own illustrious former managers would accept second best for our goalkeeper and that is what Karius is, an ok bang average second tier goalkeeper, we need and deserve better.

Even if you're using that "getting to six finals" stick
      You do know Karius only played in one of those?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1312: Jul 06, 2018 07:47:57 pm
      Klopp sticking up for Karius is what you'd expect to see and keeping him as the #1 next season is the sensible thing to do given how expensive someone as unconvincing as Alisson is. Will be interesting to see who's his backup; someone like Ward, a veteran whose role will also be to mentor, or someone to challenge Karius for the #1 spot.

Keeping Karius as number 1 is the sensible thing to do? You make it sound like there really are no other options out there. Where would you rate Karius amongst EPL keepers? What do you think happens to the lad if he make a big mistake in an early game next season? My guess is he will have to be taken out o ft he line of fire and prtotected again as he was in his first season. What would be your action plan should that happen? Back to Migs again? Try the untested Ward. Fans advocating sticking with Karius need their heads testing, I can't fathom it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1313: Jul 06, 2018 08:30:25 pm
      Keeping Karius as number 1 is the sensible thing to do? You make it sound like there really are no other options out there. Where would you rate Karius amongst EPL keepers? What do you think happens to the lad if he make a big mistake in an early game next season? My guess is he will have to be taken out o ft he line of fire and prtotected again as he was in his first season. What would be your action plan should that happen? Back to Migs again? Try the untested Ward. Fans advocating sticking with Karius need their heads testing, I can't fathom it.

I'd stick with him mate unless we can sign a noticeable upgrade.

He's a better keeper than the final showed and for me if Ward was anyway half decent he'd have got more of a chance by now.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1314: Jul 06, 2018 09:13:13 pm
      I'd stick with him mate unless we can sign a noticeable upgrade.

He's a better keeper than the final showed and for me if Ward was anyway half decent he'd have got more of a chance by now.

Look at the performance Cortoius put in tonight in a massive game on the world stage. That's what we need. Marius will never be that type of player.

Honestly for me, sticking with Karius is like sticking Danny Ings in the starting line up all season. It's such an important position and karius is simply mediocre, he's a mid table player. So what does happen if he makes a bad start to the season? The media and social media storm will kick up and he will crumble. Can't you see that? Added to which the bloody transfer window will be shut. It's a huge risk for a side that has title aspirations.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1315: Jul 06, 2018 09:16:25 pm
      Look at the performance Cortoius put in tonight in a massive game on the world stage. That's what we need. Marius will never be that type of player.

Honestly for me, sticking with Karius is like sticking Danny Ings in the starting line up all season. It's such an important position and karius is simply mediocre, he's a mid table player. So what does happen if he makes a bad start to the season? The media and social media storm will kick up and he will crumble. Can't you see that? Added to which the bloody transfer window will be shut. It's a huge risk for a side that has title aspirations.

Of all the keepers out there Courtois is the one I'd go all out for.

That's a noticeable upgrade.

I disagree on comparing Karius to Ings as before the final Karius was as solid as any keeper in the league for me.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1316: Jul 06, 2018 09:27:32 pm
      Of all the keepers out there Courtois is the one I'd go all out for.

That's a noticeable upgrade.

I disagree on comparing Karius to Ings as before the final Karius was as solid as any keeper in the league for me.

Moreno actually played quite well early last season until his injury but deep down you still know he isn't the answer and that the mistakes are around the corner. That for me is Karius, half decent mid-table keeper who did ok for a little while.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1317: Jul 06, 2018 10:27:55 pm
      Yeah, and no baywatch music, what a shithouse.

Ha ha
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,026 posts | 529 
      Reply #1318: Jul 06, 2018 10:41:57 pm

Exactly. It would be a bizarre and unnecessary risk to take. Like you I cant for the life of me figure out why so many on here are so keen to take it.

Hopefully Jürgen will have more sense. If he keeps karius on the books, fine, but he has to bring in a serious alternative ( presumably as a replacement for Migs).
      It'll be a massive gamble if he doesnt.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1319: Jul 06, 2018 11:18:24 pm

;D you pick out one performance where he has played well you know what there was plenty this season for Chelsea where he would be described as in your words mediocre!

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1320: Jul 07, 2018 12:20:44 am
      ;D you pick out one performance where he has played well you know what there was plenty this season for Chelsea where he would be described as in your words mediocre!

Cortouis has put in plenty of performances like today over a period of several years at both athletico and Chelsea. Also, I have referenced the performance today because it was such a big game and a big performance to match, I don't believe Karius has that in him. Call me an idiot but I'd rather put my faith in a keeper who has a proven track record at a top club. Not risk it on a fragile lad who despite being an improvement on the hapless Mignolet is still considerably below the standard required if we really do want to challenge.

If karous was an outfield I'd love to hear to hear what sort of level his supporters (or those who think he should retain the gloves) or player comparison people would make?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1321: Jul 07, 2018 01:56:52 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1322: Jul 07, 2018 02:29:35 am

Trouble is though, and this is what I think has been a bit misleading to an extent, he's not actually that young, in that "young, potential" stage anymore. He's 25 now, ultimately he is at the stage of his career where essentially, if he stays as number 1 for us, this coming season is make or break for him. If he doesn't deliver next season, I have no doubts he will be gone, and it wont be to a team of a quality standard, looking to compete for silverware or in the Champions League.
      For me personally, I've always given him the benefit of the doubt in the regard that De Gea was struggling when he first arrived in England, but the problem is now, for me anyway is that when De Gea was the age that Karius is now, he had become a "world class" keeper, where as Karius at the moment is no where near that, at the moment he falls into your average, run of the mill keeper.

My personal preference would be to sign a new keeper, for me it would have to be Oblak, though I'm fully aware it wont happen. But I also think Donnarumma and Strakosha would be damn good alternatives. But, if Karius stays as number 1 then so be it, he gets my support for another season because he was showing good signs of improvement last season. However, he has to be under no illusions that next season he can't afford to be making errors, he has a lot of making up to do to the team and the supporters, he has has to make sure that he's made a name for himself as one of the best keepers in the Premier League in a years time or ultimately, like Migs, he has to go. This will be his 3rd season at the club now, it's time to step up and prove his worth, no more talk of being a young keeper and potential etc, he needs to start playing his part or go elsewhere and play in a team that matches his ability.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1323: Jul 07, 2018 03:34:49 am
      Just seen his video of his Calafornian break and how its helped get over the champions league heartbreak.

Bit of a knob this fella..Not sure hes the right mindset for this club

I'll back you up to a certain extent mate, bloody cringy as F**k lets have it right.

I honestly do not know how people can watch that without their toes curling.

In slight fairness to him Baywatch and Hasselhoff are still huge in Germany, and he's probably of the opinion that that was some cutting edge media.

Had 3 seperate lads from various club affinities try and point me in the direction of this video over the course of the day and it's taken a lot of alcohol to bring me to watch it.

Make no mistakes he is being laughed at.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1324: Jul 07, 2018 03:56:53 am
      Moreno actually played quite well early last season until his injury but deep down you still know he isn't the answer and that the mistakes are around the corner. That for me is Karius, half decent mid-table keeper who did ok for a little while.

I'm fond of Moreno, and he is capable of some sweet explosive attacking moments from left back, but I too recognise that he often exercises poor judgement, especially when he lunges in for those hero tackles where if he misses (which is likely), our opponents are gifted a clear cut chance on goal, instead of being (at worse) shepherded to the sideline.

With defensive players, it should be all about trust. And with a team that attacks like ours, we don't need defenders that try to make plays like Moreno, Lovren, and Karius, we just need to trust them to be consistently safe. To be reliable. To not gift opponents clear cut chances. That is enough.

Unfortunately, many people here don't actually believe Karius is error prone, or that there should be any concerns over his temperament and focus. They don't believe he is an inadequate communicator or not commanding enough in the box. They just see that he's good at instinctual reflex saves (where he doesn't need to think), and all else is forgiven or overlooked.

Personally, I don't have an issue with Klopp not spending 60+ mil on an overrated keeper. But there is no way Karius should start the season with Ward as his main competition (assuming Mignolet moves on). That is not the strategy for getting someone of poor temperament to excel.

Bringing in a keeper or two like Pope to compete is the way to go until either someone steps up (or the planets align and one of the top 5 is realistically available and keen to join us).
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1325: Jul 07, 2018 08:25:22 am
      I'm fond of Moreno, and he is capable of some sweet explosive attacking moments from left back, but I too recognise that he often exercises poor judgement, especially when he lunges in for those hero tackles where if he misses (which is likely), our opponents are gifted a clear cut chance on goal, instead of being (at worse) shepherded to the sideline.

With defensive players, it should be all about trust. And with a team that attacks like ours, we don't need defenders that try to make plays like Moreno, Lovren, and Karius, we just need to trust them to be consistently safe. To be reliable. To not gift opponents clear cut chances. That is enough.

Unfortunately, many people here don't actually believe Karius is error prone, or that there should be any concerns over his temperament and focus. They don't believe he is an inadequate communicator or not commanding enough in the box. They just see that he's good at instinctual reflex saves (where he doesn't need to think), and all else is forgiven or overlooked.

Personally, I don't have an issue with Klopp not spending 60+ mil on an overrated keeper. But there is no way Karius should start the season with Ward as his main competition (assuming Mignolet moves on). That is not the strategy for getting someone of poor temperament to excel.

Bringing in a keeper or two like Pope to compete is the way to go until either someone steps up (or the planets align and one of the top 5 is realistically available and keen to join us).

Aye I would take Nick Pope think hes great.

Would add to the English quota too
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1326: Jul 07, 2018 10:10:07 am
      If we start the season with out any new goalkeepers then I will be extremely disappointed in Klopp and I stand by what I said about successful managers. I love Jürgen to bits, think he is a fantastic manager for us but you cannot dispute the fact that we have still won F**k all with him. We have been in 3 finals and fu**ed up each time, all 3 of them in part because of poor goalkeeping.

My issue with Karius is not just the complete F**k up in the final, its all the little mistakes here and there, the unnecessary risks, the lack of commanding the box, the poor decision making at times. He quite simply is not good enough and I never think he will be, we have to sign a better keeper and I'm baffled why Jürgen can't see this.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1327: Jul 07, 2018 10:31:40 am
      Karius isn't going anywhere and if anyone can name a goalkeeper form the world cup that is worth spending £60mil pus on then I must have missed it. If we had a squad full of talent and a super strong bench then a goalkeeper might be worth spending that type of money on but we don't we need the outfield players strengthening first
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1328: Jul 07, 2018 10:35:31 am
      I have seen a lot on here about Karius not being able to make errors this season. Reality is all keepers make errors, even Courtios and De Gea drop a cross or fumble a ball into their own net sometimes.

For me he has to begin commanding the area and start making save that he has no right to on a consistent basis.

I would ask - how many mistakes would he be allowed this season before he is really moved on?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1329: Jul 07, 2018 10:51:22 am
      Where's that idea that you have to spend 60m to get a decent keeper come from? Last time I checked the world's most expensive keeper in the history of the game cost half of that. Rui Patrício just moved on a free transfer.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #1330: Jul 07, 2018 11:11:12 am
      Karius isn't going anywhere and if anyone can name a goalkeeper form the world cup that is worth spending £60mil pus on then I must have missed it. If we had a squad full of talent and a super strong bench then a goalkeeper might be worth spending that type of money on but we don't we need the outfield players strengthening first

I have to agree with you here. I think Karius improved when he was given the No1 spot. That wasn't down to his talent alone it was because the whole team were better defensively. This season we will be better again with the players we've purchased. I'm quite happy with Karius and if we were to spend £60 million on a player I'd by buying a quality CB rather than a keeper. Unless I'm mistaken, football is a team game which means you can't just reley on one player to do all the work. The ideal game would be the keeper standing there all game with little or nothing to do, he's the last line of defence you can't always reley on one player.
      He made mistakes in the final, if I went through life without mistakes I would not be human. He now has to exercise those demons in pre season and come back stronger. If he can't do that then maybe he's not strong enough and we could question his mentality. For me he's our keeper and I'm going to back him and for anyone saying he's not young anymore, 25 is a baby in terms of goalkeepers. I don't want to spend £60 million on a keeper who could quite easily make the same sort of mistakes in a game as Karius or any other keeper for that matter. 
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1331: Jul 07, 2018 11:12:20 am
      Where's that idea that you have to spend 60m to get a decent keeper come from? Last time I checked the world's most expensive keeper in the history of the game cost half of that. Rui Patrício just moved on a free transfer.

I agree mate, there have been some big transfer fees speculated but I’m fairly certain there are keepers out there who can be got for less than £30 million. He’ll we could buy another Karius, he was bought for peanuts after all. Also, when it comes to value I don’t understand why people think that a goal keeper can’t cost as much as a decent outfield player? It was two giant goal keeping errors that cost us a shot at a 6th European (regardless of any concussion). A new goal keeper would be the priority for me over any other signing.

I have seen a lot on here about Karius not being able to make errors this season. Reality is all keepers make errors, even Courtios and De Gea drop a cross or fumble a ball into their own net sometimes.

For me he has to begin commanding the area and start making save that he has no right to on a consistent basis.

I would ask - how many mistakes would he be allowed this season before he is really moved on?

Of course they all make errors mate, just look at De Gea earlier in the World Cup, look at great keepers like Smeichel and Seaman, they also made some incredible howlers. The key differences between them and Karius (apart from ability) are:

- they are great keepers who already have a body of work to draw upon, they have proven themselves already so recovering from mistakes is easier because they have already banked that. Plus their managers and the fans know it as well.

- Mental fortitude and temperament. That’s the difference between the good keepers and the best keepers. I don’t really see that in Karius, do you? Does anyone? If he makes a couple of early season blunders can he handle the storm that will come his way? Me thinks not. Klopp will end up having to withdraw him to regain his confidence as was the case the season before last.

Why would we risk it?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1332: Jul 07, 2018 11:17:02 am

Courtois would be worth every penny of £60 million, he is a superb goalkeeper, I'd also happily spend that sum on De Gea, that's 2 off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others. I am confused why people will happily spend a fortune on a striker but refuse to pay above a few million for a goalkeeper when a GK is one of the most important players on the pitch and can make a huge difference to a team.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1333: Jul 07, 2018 11:33:07 am
      Of course they all make errors mate, just look at De Gea earlier in the World Cup, look at great keepers like Smeichel and Seaman, they also made some incredible howlers. The key differences between them and Karius (apart from ability) are:

- they are great keepers who already have a body of work to draw upon, they have proven themselves already so recovering from mistakes is easier because they have already banked that. Plus their managers and the fans know it as well.

- Mental fortitude and temperament. That’s the difference between the good keepers and the best keepers. I don’t really see that in Karius, do you? Does anyone? If he makes a couple of early season blunders can he handle the storm that will come his way? Me thinks not. Klopp will end up having to withdraw him to regain his confidence as was the case the season before last.

Why would we risk it?

Honestly, I wouldn't if I was in charge..! I would spend the money and be done with it...

Looking at Utd it so much harder to score against them because of the keeper - it gives the defense confidence and the opponents a worry. For us, its a situation that has gone on long enough. To be fiar, since Pepe!

Quick Reply