Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202369 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #1495: Jul 23, 2018 12:43:28 pm
      On a side note it would be interesting to know if managers and/or players do actually read the forums. I'm fairly sure that Jürgen reads my posts, poor b***ard, why else would he have changed his mind on buying Alisson ;-)
      In all seriousness they must surely read them a bit, just out of curiosity, and as a manager I definitely would keep an eye on some of the forums as you can never have to many opinions and thoughts and someone out there might just have spotted a weakness or opportunity that your staff haven't or perhaps know of a really exciting player form their local leagues which the scouts are unaware of.

Personally I doubt Klopp does

But if think a few players do... not all the time but from time to time when they are either getting it in the neck or counter when they do something amazing
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1496: Jul 23, 2018 12:44:11 pm
      Needs to come off social media for a while.  Doesn't matter how much money someone earns if their mental health is being affected then he needs to step away from it. Whatever he has done  nothing justifies the level of abuse, he or other people get on social media, why they stay on there is beyond me but it still doesn't make it right. The comments about his holiday video etc are utterly ridiculous,  he is entitled to do what he likes, a young guy in his mid twenties having fun, what a b***ard. Sanctimonious shower of tw*ts who need to get a grip on reality

First you say that he needs to come off social media, then you say he is entitled to do what he likes. Hey I agree with both. He's surely entitled to do holiday videos or instagram posts but I don't think the exposure is doing him any good - that's the point. If he can't deal with online abuse and if it affects him then he should probably take a step back. He has a high profile job, and the reality is that online abuse will always be there for those people sadly, wether we like it or not, just like praise and adulation will come in the good times.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1497: Jul 23, 2018 12:53:51 pm
      Personally I doubt Klopp does

But if think a few players do... not all the time but from time to time when they are either getting it in the neck or counter when they do something amazing

I'm not so sure, I think Klopp is so football mad that he just might, perhaps he's even posting as someone on here, any profiles created right after he become our manager?? ;-)
      Kopite78
      Reply #1498: Jul 23, 2018 12:55:42 pm
      I'm not so sure, I think Klopp is so football mad that he just might, perhaps he's even posting as someone on here, any profiles created right after he become our manager?? ;-)

Just can't see it mate

He's football mad but strikes me as someone so busy and also doesn't give two fucks about what the media say let alone a few fans mouthing off and knee jerking to some extent or another

I think he has far too much on his plate to worry or have time. A few of the players egos may push them.on forums at times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1499: Jul 23, 2018 01:01:25 pm
      Mate I wasn't at the pity stage until this morning, his post on Instagram to me suggests he's really starting to struggle

Now I'm sure the manager will look after him and of course he needs to perhaps take himself from social media and hopefully he will do now but I imagine that he will find that hard even if it's just criticism he's reading. I also doubt footballers read forums but maybe when they are getting so much criticism then lonely nights on pre season tours again the temptation is too much and they do.

I don't care about the money, I never have done

I'm not saying criticism isn't justified and/or needed and part of the reason we love the game but there comes a time to stop it and again his post on Instagram to me suggests that time is now.

We have all got what we ultimately wanted, a new keeper who will be number one once the season rolls around but surely we can stop crucifying the lad when that's currently obviously doing to him

I don't think it makes him look irrelevant I think it makes us look human

But each to their own

I don't begrudge footballers the money they make either, I just mean that they only make that much money precisely because they operate in such a high pressure environment (one in which abuse is bound to happen in the days of online social media). So that's the reality of the job. For me it also provides perspective - just like he's bound to be abused in such circumstances, the fact he's a high profile footballer also means he receives far more support than any normal person struggling with their jobs. So I really haven't reached that stage of pity though I wish the lad no harm and think he needs to be helping himself a bit more. I also didn't mean to say that he'd become irrelevant if we stopped criticising him, but rather that the only way a keeper in such terrible form wouldn't be in the spotlight for criticism would be if he played somewhere that is largely irrelevant. Again, nothing of this makes online abuse right but I do think it's only a minority that engage in this type of action and they'll not go away just because we want to. I understand the reasoning in doing what you personally can to help - and in that case it would be avoiding speaking ill of him - I just don't think it'd have much impact at all, though again, I applaud the sentiment and you're probably just a better person than I am! Whilst he's still a LFC player though, I'm interested in what happens to his career - I see no future for him at the club and think it would be best if he was sold.

Just as an aside, Barbosa, the Brazilian keeper in the 1950 World Cup who was deemed at fault for Uruguay's winning goal in what was then seem as national tragedy (the "Maracanazo"), used to say that although life sentences aren't legal in Brazil, he was serving one for his mistake and had to live until his death with this weight on his shoulders. So this has been the reality of the game for longer than we think and it's unlikely to change in the globalised sports era.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1500: Jul 23, 2018 01:01:55 pm
      Well, anyway, I'm off to the Alisson thread... I still can't forgive the mods for having this one robbed off me!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1501: Jul 23, 2018 01:06:00 pm
      First you say that he needs to come off social media, then you say he is entitled to do what he likes. Hey I agree with both. He's surely entitled to do holiday videos or instagram posts but I don't think the exposure is doing him any good - that's the point. If he can't deal with online abuse and if it affects him then he should probably take a step back. He has a high profile job, and the reality is that online abuse will always be there for those people sadly, wether we like it or not, just like praise and adulation will come in the good times.

I meant going on holiday mainly, 99% of people on social media share their holiday experiences too
      Kopite78
      Reply #1502: Jul 23, 2018 01:09:39 pm
      I don't begrudge footballers the money they make either, I just mean that they only make that much money precisely because they operate in such a high pressure environment (one in which abuse is bound to happen in the days of online social media). So that's the reality of the job. For me it also provides perspective - just like he's bound to be abused in such circumstances, the fact he's a high profile footballer also means he receives far more support than any normal person struggling with their jobs. So I really haven't reached that stage of pity though I wish the lad no harm and think he needs to be helping himself a bit more. I also didn't mean to say that he'd become irrelevant if we stopped criticising him, but rather that the only way a keeper in such terrible form wouldn't be in the spotlight for criticism would be if he played somewhere that is largely irrelevant. Again, nothing of this makes online abuse right but I do think it's only a minority that engage in this type of action and they'll not go away just because we want to. I understand the reasoning in doing what you personally can to help - and in that case it would be avoiding speaking ill of him - I just don't think it'd have much impact at all, though again, I applaud the sentiment and you're probably just a better person than I am! Whilst he's still a LFC player though, I'm interested in what happens to his career - I see no future for him at the club and think it would be best if he was sold.

Just as an aside, Barbosa, the Brazilian keeper in the 1950 World Cup who was deemed at fault for Uruguay's winning goal in what was then seem as national tragedy (the "Maracanazo"), used to say that although life sentences aren't legal in Brazil, he was serving one for his mistake and had to live until his death with this weight on his shoulders. So this has been the reality of the game for longer than we think and it's unlikely to change in the globalised sports era.

Mate I agree almost word for word with that.. I'm not disputing any of what you say.

I just don't like the abuse, I find it uncalled for, I'm not saying people on here, or the vast majority aren't staying the right side of the line either.. it's just somewhere I wanted to say it.
      I hate bullying, always have, the ones who abuse him on social media are simply that I I don't like it.

I just don't like the attitude that just shrugs that off as... Well that's what it's like isn't it
      It's not if you don't add to it.. people are in control of how they act.. they aren't forced to do it or anything else.
      There is a line between banter and piss taking with your mates and bullying and making someone feel small and affecting them

I just wish people knew which side of that line to stay on.

As for the Barbosa story.. I'd heard that before, not quite sure where, think it may have been Tim Vickery or one of the guys on the totally football show..
      It was an interesting story which made me think the exact thing you mention there about how long the attitude has been around
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1503: Jul 23, 2018 01:54:35 pm
      For what it's worth i believe that both migs and karius are far better goalkeepers than quite a few recent trophy winning number 2's
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1504: Jul 23, 2018 02:01:50 pm
      Well yes but that doesn't change anything does it, Karius by keeping a high profile at the moment is doing himself no favours and he needs someone to advise him of that, he needs to disappear into the background for a bit, build up his confidence and game again.

Karius should crawl back under a stone & become a forgotten man..

F**k I'd hate to be in your household when one does not live up to your expectations..

I'd prefer to keep him in the spotlight & continue to give him game time to help rebuild his knocked confidence..

Your forgetting that the lad was our keeper throughout the CL games and made saves that kept us in the game..
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1505: Jul 23, 2018 03:18:00 pm
      Have to wonder whether selling Danny Ward off and sticking with Larius as number 2 was the right call? I appreciate Ward needs to play plus we got a decent fee for him but I really don't know if Zlorus has the mental fortitude to bounce back? I was happy enough with him as a number two but am not so sure now.icl like it is with Moreno, a part of me feels it's ok because they're not first choice but then remember that both players are a nasty injury to Alison or Robbo from being number 1.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1506: Jul 23, 2018 04:20:39 pm
      I would say we have some tw*t fans, but to be honest, its just society. Dickheads are dickheads, and it just so happens some of these dickheads follow Liverpool. It's not a reflection of our supporters, just the way of the world!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1507: Jul 23, 2018 06:37:04 pm

Nope.

http://www2.squawka.com/players/simon-mignolet/stats#performance-score#liverpool-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-38#by-match

http://www2.squawka.com/players/loris-karius/stats#performance-score#liverpool-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-38#by-match

Karius may be flavour of the month when it comes to a kicking but it's amazing how easy we forget how much worse Mignolet is as a keeper.

Safe to assume also that Mignolet cost us at least 6 points in the league last season, definitely more than Karius. That shambles of a display in the opening game to Watford. Willian scoring against him at Anfield, showing all the acrobatics of a Chelsea Pensioner. And of course, who could forget Arsenal away when he helped us blow a 2-0 lead. Also got out of jail after a horrendous display against Leicester away where we won 3-2.

Karius costing us the chance to win number 6 in Kiev hurts for a lot of people to the extent that they're quite happy to tell him to crawl underground or send death threats. But when you consider that he helped us to the final with thoroughly professional goalkeeping displays throughout the knockout ties (barring one bizarre flap on a Naingolen shot at Anfield) it's not unforgivable. He wasn't a passenger in that ride to the final as much as some on here wish he was so to justify their own belittling attitudes.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2018 08:52:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #1508: Jul 23, 2018 06:51:03 pm
      He really just isn’t good enough

He is a millionaire and we are paying him well and he is holding team back

He really need to be sent home to clear his head and then loaned out of England or ideally sold

His sloppy mistakes are costing us rhythm in pre season. He simply is a liability and I fail to feel sorry for someone earning the money he does and works the job he does. There are far far more people to feel sorry for in life

I wish him all the best elsewhere
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1509: Jul 23, 2018 06:59:37 pm
      I would say we have some tw*t fans, but to be honest, its just society. Dickheads are dickheads, and it just so happens some of these dickheads follow Liverpool. It's not a reflection of our supporters, just the way of the world!

It's just the way it is today.

He's a professional footballer playing at top level tier football, so you will expect a lot of backlash, slagging off and criticism when things doesn't go his way.

The only way Karius can get out of this, is to buckle up and try to move on from his mistakes.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1510: Jul 23, 2018 10:55:49 pm
      I thought Karius would improve his game, when he took the #1spot from Mignolet he got his shot and in truth there wasn't a whole pile between them. His head is gone and there's no coming back from it and he needs to be moved on along with mignolet. He also needs to get off social media, actually all our players need to get off it, it's open to abuse and that's no good for any of them. 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1511: Jul 23, 2018 11:33:55 pm
      People need to differentiate between two things. Yes, Karius on the field has run through more than one rough patch and made a lot of questionable decisions and mistakes. But to sit here and abuse the person day in day out is disgraceful and certainly not what football or Liverpool Football Club and its fans stand for.

While we should indeed criticize our players from a football point of view (what goes on on the pitch) and demand reinforcement for the positions we deem not strong enough from the management, we should not be out there on a witch hunt to disrespect and lower the guy at every occasion. These are pre-season games and I cringed when I saw him miss that clearance, but who actually thinks that beating the guy to a pulp is going to make him any better?

How can somebody improve or get back on his feet if we decide to beat him while he is down instead of, as fans, doing what we can to support him?

The ruthless and borderline harassing behavior of some fans is incredibly stupid and unacceptable. At the end of the day, the lad wears our shirt. If he isn't good enough, then he will be sold or he will be kept in order to eventually reach the required level because the staff values him. In the meantime we should, without restraining from the football criticism we are all entitled to, support the guy to the best of our ability and stop being c**ts behind our keyboards.

This type of bullying is exactly the type of behavior that players talk about between each other and before you know it you lost out on a couple of players in the transfer market because of course, their national team teammate or ex-club teammate told them about the hell he's been through.

Just support the lad. If you don't like him, voice your opinion in a respectful manner that is limited to football.

Ps: When we bought the guy, did anybody advertise him as an extraterrestrial being that does not commit mistakes and that is immune to c**t-like behavior?

On the bench or not, I hope that our first game at home this season the fans in the stadium make it a point that the vast majority of us support him and that he truly does not walk alone.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1512: Jul 24, 2018 12:26:57 am
      Karius and Mignolet are both sh*te.
      No beating around the bush or tinted specs.
      Get rid!
      Get new backups.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1513: Jul 24, 2018 12:27:58 am
      People need to differentiate between two things. Yes, Karius on the field has run through more than one rough patch and made a lot of questionable decisions and mistakes. But to sit here and abuse the person day in day out is disgraceful and certainly not what football or Liverpool Football Club and its fans stand for.

While we should indeed criticize our players from a football point of view (what goes on on the pitch) and demand reinforcement for the positions we deem not strong enough from the management, we should not be out there on a witch hunt to disrespect and lower the guy at every occasion. These are pre-season games and I cringed when I saw him miss that clearance, but who actually thinks that beating the guy to a pulp is going to make him any better?

How can somebody improve or get back on his feet if we decide to beat him while he is down instead of, as fans, doing what we can to support him?

The ruthless and borderline harassing behavior of some fans is incredibly stupid and unacceptable. At the end of the day, the lad wears our shirt. If he isn't good enough, then he will be sold or he will be kept in order to eventually reach the required level because the staff values him. In the meantime we should, without restraining from the football criticism we are all entitled to, support the guy to the best of our ability and stop being c**ts behind our keyboards.

This type of bullying is exactly the type of behavior that players talk about between each other and before you know it you lost out on a couple of players in the transfer market because of course, their national team teammate or ex-club teammate told them about the hell he's been through.

Just support the lad. If you don't like him, voice your opinion in a respectful manner that is limited to football.

Ps: When we bought the guy, did anybody advertise him as an extraterrestrial being that does not commit mistakes and that is immune to c**t-like behavior?

On the bench or not, I hope that our first game at home this season the fans in the stadium make it a point that the vast majority of us support him and that he truly does not walk alone.
      :sleeping-smiley-011:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1514: Jul 24, 2018 12:28:27 am
      Karius and Mignolet are both sh*te.
      No beating around the bush or tinted specs.
      Get rid!
      Get new backups.

Not going to be able to "get rid" of Karius...he is worth nothing now and he's not going to accept some deal to a lower league side anywhere.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1515: Jul 24, 2018 12:34:13 am
      Not going to be able to "get rid" of Karius...he is worth nothing now and he's not going to accept some deal to a lower league side anywhere.
      His mistakes in CL final weren't concussion, he proved it pre season. Against Tranmere was bad, but against Dortmund that goalkick pass straight to a Dortmund player, and the palmed saved straight to their player. He is not even average. He is competing with who can be worse, him or Mignolet.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1516: Jul 24, 2018 12:38:17 am
      His mistakes in CL final weren't concussion, he proved it pre season. Against Tranmere was bad, but against Dortmund that goalkick pass straight to a Dortmund player, and the palmed saved straight to their player. He is not even average. He is competing with who can be worse, him or Mignolet.

That's all well and good but he has a contract and probably not going to take a transfer to a 2nd tier club anywhere, the club couldn't get anything for him so I doubt for the time being he is going anywhere.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1517: Jul 24, 2018 12:42:34 am
      That's all well and good but he has a contract and probably not going to take a transfer to a 2nd tier club anywhere, the club couldn't get anything for him so I doubt for the time being he is going anywhere.
      Maybe just give them league cup games. They can rock paper scissors, Mignolet, Karius and a cardboard cutout of manbearpig.

Quick Reply