Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 202299 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #1656: Sep 22, 2020 03:02:55 pm
      Adrian may have played the FA Cup no matter what, but Alisson would have def been in the CL game. That mistake by Adrian against Atletico still bothers me because it was so easy to avoid and other than Bayern the rest of the teams looked so beatable and with the league locked up we could have just focused on the CL.

That game bugs me but I honestly don't think we would have beaten Bayern, it was their year last year.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1657: Sep 28, 2020 06:23:15 pm
      Loaned to the Bundesliga side Union Berlin

ā€œI'm looking forward to my new opportunity in Berlin and Iā€™m happy to be playing in the Bundesliga again. Union is a special club, one that has earned a great deal of respect, not just by promotion to the Bundesliga. I would like to play my part in this positive development and help to achieve the great goal of staying in the Bundesliga," said Loris Karius after his signature.   

"The signing of Loris Karius means we have secured a goalkeeper with great national and international experience. His strengths are well known, so we are pleased to be in an excellent position in this important role of the team from our perspective. For Loris it offers the chance to focus again on the Bundesliga in a stable environment and to try to stay in the league with Union,ā€ said Oliver Ruhnert, Director of Professional Football at 1. FC Union Berlin.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1658: Sep 28, 2020 06:58:21 pm
      Loaned to the Bundesliga side Union Berlin

ā€œI'm looking forward to my new opportunity in Berlin and Iā€™m happy to be playing in the Bundesliga again. Union is a special club, one that has earned a great deal of respect, not just by promotion to the Bundesliga. I would like to play my part in this positive development and help to achieve the great goal of staying in the Bundesliga," said Loris Karius after his signature.   

"The signing of Loris Karius means we have secured a goalkeeper with great national and international experience. His strengths are well known, so we are pleased to be in an excellent position in this important role of the team from our perspective. For Loris it offers the chance to focus again on the Bundesliga in a stable environment and to try to stay in the league with Union,ā€ said Oliver Ruhnert, Director of Professional Football at 1. FC Union Berlin.

I make it that his 5 year deal with us expires in May 2021.
      So looks like he's leaving us on a free, least it was only a 5 mill outlay.
      Hope he gets things properly back on track at some stage.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1659: Sep 28, 2020 07:24:49 pm
      Good for him and hope he does well in Berlin.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1660: Sep 28, 2020 07:37:42 pm
      I make it that his 5 year deal with us expires in May 2021.
      So looks like he's leaving us on a free, least it was only a 5 mill outlay.

Which would have been offset by 3 loan payments
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1661: Sep 28, 2020 07:41:16 pm
      Which would have been offset by 3 loan payments

and they also covered his wages.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #1662: Oct 27, 2021 04:35:52 pm
      I notice he came back in pre season and hasn't been out on loan. His IG bio doesnt have any club. Is he still training with the club?

I'm one of the few that think he's better than Adrian.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1663: Oct 27, 2021 04:45:18 pm
      I notice he came back in pre season and hasn't been out on loan. His IG bio doesnt have any club. Is he still training with the club?

You and i are better than Adrian, but as far as Karius he is still with the team (last i saw). With Kelleher being hurt he should be the backup to Adrian today. I believe his contract expires after this season at which point he will be gone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1664: Oct 27, 2021 05:33:12 pm
      Adrian did exceptionally well for us when Ali was injured a couple of seasons ago everyone looks poor next to Ali
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1665: Oct 27, 2021 05:52:49 pm
      Adrian did exceptionally well for us when Ali was injured a couple of seasons ago everyone looks poor next to Ali

When he first arrived Adrian was amazing for us when Alisson went down, but then he turned into a pumpkin and made us realize why he was unemployed prior to joining us.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1666: Oct 28, 2021 12:25:12 pm
      Heā€™s refused to go to Basel on both loan and permanent deal last summer due to having to take a pay cut. Looks like he will ride out his contract sitting in the stands.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1667: Oct 28, 2021 12:30:41 pm

Great guy & goalie is adrian.

Been a brilliant servant, free transfer as well.

Karius needs to get out and play footi in this January window.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1668: Oct 28, 2021 01:26:30 pm
      Heā€™s refused to go to Basel on both loan and permanent deal last summer due to having to take a pay cut. Looks like he will ride out his contract sitting in the stands.

Was going to post I feel a little bit for him but reading this now i dont
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1669: Oct 28, 2021 02:18:43 pm

There is no universe where Loris Karius is better than Adrian.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1670: Oct 28, 2021 05:07:47 pm
      There is no universe where Loris Karius is better than Adrian.

I think he is personally. Aside from Kiev, Karius was having a pretty good season with us, I believe he kept the most clean sheets in the competition that year too. Personally think Adrian has cost us more goals than what Karius has too. In fact I remember there being a lot of praise going his way and questions being raised as to whether we were right to be going after Alisson in the run up to Kiev, who we were being linked with through the second half of that season. I remember Alisson having pretty poor games against us for Roma and Karius looking the better of the two.

Karius' problem is that the 2 mistakes he made in Kiev happened to be on the biggest stage of them all in club football and unfortunately he didn't have the ability to cope with that mentally. If the following pre-season hadn't of been such a disaster for him and he showed signs of being able to move on from it then he would've had a much better chance of staying at the club as 2nd choice.

But, he never recovered from it, Adrian isn't good enough as he has proven time and again so don't want either at the club. Kelleher is head and shoulders above the pair of them.

2 sides to this. He went on loan last season and he spoke out about how he was promised he'd be first choice and get a lot of game time, but he didn't play much at all.
      Can't really blame him for not going last summer, he wont ever get a contract again like what he has now, so why go somewhere else at the risk of not playing again, may as well not play and get paid a lot more whilst training with world class players.

It's obviously a bad look to be taking that stance but he has no real love for the club, if someone was told they could leave their job for less money to potentially not do any work or stay where they are and not do any work, everybody will choose to stay where the money is. But, when people take that stance, they sure as hell better not moan about having no involvement.

Way I see it is if the club wanted him gone that badly they'd have terminated his contract and if he was that bothered about playing football then he'd have dropped to whatever level made that happen. Generally, the situation is a waste of everybody's time.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2021 05:17:59 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1671: Oct 29, 2021 02:14:19 pm
      Karius made more than two mistakes in Kiev. He had a good month or two but other than he was probably the worst keeper to ever be in goals for us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1672: Oct 29, 2021 07:28:51 pm
      Karius made more than two mistakes in Kiev. He had a good month or two but other than he was probably the worst keeper to ever be in goals for us.

Who was that f**ker who got fu**ed off by Rafa for acting the c**t at the Hillsborough Service, he was worse than Karius. Plus only game I remember him playing for us was getting beat by Barnsley in the cup at Anfield.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1673: Oct 29, 2021 07:47:01 pm
      Who was that f**ker who got fu**ed off by Rafa for acting the c**t at the Hillsborough Service, he was worse than Karius. Plus only game I remember him playing for us was getting beat by Barnsley in the cup at Anfield.

Istanje or something? I donā€™t recall ever seeing him play Tbf. And arphexad wasnā€™t too great. But I think both of them were reserves. Karius was first choice for a season. I actually liked Karius for a while but it was clear he was the opposite of a mentality monster. His mistakes became a massive weight on him. I felt sorry for him in the end.
      I want him to go to a different club and win silverware.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #1674: Oct 29, 2021 08:57:26 pm
      I think he is personally. Aside from Kiev, Karius was having a pretty good season with us, I believe he kept the most clean sheets in the competition that year too. Personally think Adrian has cost us more goals than what Karius has too. In fact I remember there being a lot of praise going his way and questions being raised as to whether we were right to be going after Alisson in the run up to Kiev, who we were being linked with through the second half of that season. I remember Alisson having pretty poor games against us for Roma and Karius looking the better of the two.

Karius' problem is that the 2 mistakes he made in Kiev happened to be on the biggest stage of them all in club football and unfortunately he didn't have the ability to cope with that mentally. If the following pre-season hadn't of been such a disaster for him and he showed signs of being able to move on from it then he would've had a much better chance of staying at the club as 2nd choice.

But, he never recovered from it, Adrian isn't good enough as he has proven time and again so don't want either at the club. Kelleher is head and shoulders above the pair of them.

2 sides to this. He went on loan last season and he spoke out about how he was promised he'd be first choice and get a lot of game time, but he didn't play much at all.
      Can't really blame him for not going last summer, he wont ever get a contract again like what he has now, so why go somewhere else at the risk of not playing again, may as well not play and get paid a lot more whilst training with world class players.

It's obviously a bad look to be taking that stance but he has no real love for the club, if someone was told they could leave their job for less money to potentially not do any work or stay where they are and not do any work, everybody will choose to stay where the money is. But, when people take that stance, they sure as hell better not moan about having no involvement.

Way I see it is if the club wanted him gone that badly they'd have terminated his contract and if he was that bothered about playing football then he'd have dropped to whatever level made that happen. Generally, the situation is a waste of everybody's time.

On a technical level, I really believe Karius was better than Mignolet. But mentally he was extremely fragile and all over the place especially after Kiev. Karius basically inherited the number 1 spot midway through 2017-2018 and by and large contributed to our run to the final. Yeah, for sure he had the benefit of a freshly signed VVD to play in front of him but the signing of Virgil was by no means a certainty as shown by a horror show of a match against West Brom not long after he signed.

We wouldn't have seen as big an improvement in that second half of the season if Mignolet had been there between the sticks during winter 2017 onwards. I'll never forget Mignolet's appalling display at Anfield against West Brom in the cup in January 2018. Virgil played that night as well and had no clue what Mignolet was going to do next. That was enough for JĆ¼rgen to end Mignolet's season there and then - indeed he never played another game that season if I recall. It's obvious that someone was needed in goal with a basic idea of sweeping that would enable us to get a lot out of Virgil.

We won F**k all in the very lengthy time Mignolet was out keeper. Arguably, his lack of ability cost us the title in 2014. Who can forget his performance away to Man City. We dominated them but lost 2-1 thanks to poor keeping.

So yeah, no chance I'd take even Mignolet over Karius.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1675: Oct 29, 2021 09:53:32 pm
      I always felt with mignolet that he was a bit average. I would usually think that a better keeper would have saved a shot he let in etc. Rarely pulled off a worldie and probably wasnā€™t good enough for a title winning team.

But with karius he flipped from the sublime to the ridiculous, almost comical in a blink of an eye. He would do things that would make me spit out my tea. Some moments he would play like a Sunday league striker who was forced in goal because the keeper got sent off. His concentration or mental state suffered greatly and he never recovered.

Either way I hope he resurrects his career elsewhere.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1676: Oct 30, 2021 06:01:50 pm
      I always felt with mignolet that he was a bit average. I would usually think that a better keeper would have saved a shot he let in etc. Rarely pulled off a worldie and probably wasnā€™t good enough for a title winning team.

But with karius he flipped from the sublime to the ridiculous, almost comical in a blink of an eye. He would do things that would make me spit out my tea. Some moments he would play like a Sunday league striker who was forced in goal because the keeper got sent off. His concentration or mental state suffered greatly and he never recovered.

Migs was what he was and you knew he wasnā€™t going to get better, particularly with his feet, while Karius was already better than Migs but with potential to be more. When he took over the #1 spot halfway through the season he had something like 10 clean sheets in 19 games and played well during the CL run. I remember he had a ridiculous save at Everton where we drew 0-0 and was good at the sweeper role. That CL final definitely did him in mentally and was never the same.

I too wish he can go play somewhere else and reignite his career, but if itā€™s true he turned down a chance to go to another team because he didnā€™t want a cut in wages thatā€™s disappointing and only hurt himself as heā€™ll be out of a contract soon and not playing will make it harder for him to find a job when he leaves.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1677: Oct 31, 2021 01:25:37 pm

I too wish he can go play somewhere else and reignite his career, but if itā€™s true he turned down a chance to go to another team because he didnā€™t want a cut in wages thatā€™s disappointing and only hurt himself as heā€™ll be out of a contract soon and not playing will make it harder for him to find a job when he leaves.

He'd do well as model if he's out of job. His career is the last thing we'd be concerned about.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1678: Oct 31, 2021 01:39:57 pm
      David James also getting off lightly!!

Quick Reply