Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Philippe Coutinho (PSG)

Read 27918 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (PSG)
      Reply #161: Jun 09, 2016 02:10:06 pm
      Don't have the energy for this "will he won't he' anymore.

After Torres, Suarez it can only be expected. It was a few years ago I was saying we should not sell and build the team around the lad but if he doesn't want to be here and thinks there is better for him just get it over and done with quickly so we can live and forget. (I know he hasn't stated as such yet but I don't want another saga dragging the entire summer)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Jun 09, 2016 04:51:36 pm
      Coutinho: “As far as I know, there’s no offer. I’m here with the national team, this subject is for my representatives."

Coutinho: "More important is for me is to be here, focused on the national team and having a good tournament. That’s where my head is.”

Coutinho: "There's been no offer for me. This subject is for my representatives."

Could look at it two ways. One way being he is just solely focusing on the National Team.
      The other way is that at the same time, it doesn't take much for him to say he is happy where he is instead of leaving everything to his representatives who as we all know, are out to get the best deal for themselves.

See Filipe Luis has been saying Coutinho has been asking him how it feels to play in a Champions League final and that he would be welcome at Atletico.

I'm not at all confident this summer about us keeping hold of him. I personally think that he is starting to have his head turned and the like of Dani Alves and Filipe Luis chipping in isn't going to help matters.

Won't be surprised in the slightest if he says he wants to go, I was expecting it last summer to be honest.

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #163: Jun 09, 2016 05:15:40 pm
      Coutinho: “As far as I know, there’s no offer. I’m here with the national team, this subject is for my representatives."

Coutinho: "More important is for me is to be here, focused on the national team and having a good tournament. That’s where my head is.”

Coutinho: "There's been no offer for me. This subject is for my representatives."

Could look at it two ways. One way being he is just solely focusing on the National Team.
      The other way is that at the same time, it doesn't take much for him to say he is happy where he is instead of leaving everything to his representatives who as we all know, are out to get the best deal for themselves.

See Filipe Luis has been saying Coutinho has been asking him how it feels to play in a Champions League final and that he would be welcome at Atletico.

I'm not at all confident this summer about us keeping hold of him. I personally think that he is starting to have his head turned and the like of Dani Alves and Filipe Luis chipping in isn't going to help matters.

Won't be surprised in the slightest if he says he wants to go, I was expecting it last summer to be honest.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I'll be amazed and pleasantly surprised if he is still with us after the transfer window closes. We are better at collecting a player's transfer value now than we used to be, which is a small crumb of comfort in these situations.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #164: Jun 09, 2016 05:24:11 pm

What stood out in all that was the bit about Coutinho asking Filipe what it's like to play in a Champions League final. Wasn't it only last week that Coutinho was going on about winning trophies? If so, why is he asking Filipe about the Champions League? They've lost both finals.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,193 posts | 6346 
      Reply #165: Jun 09, 2016 06:06:14 pm

I'd been going on his glowing comments of loving life in Liverpool in the past. Now when it would take him two seconds to reiterate that, he just keeps giving the standard line. I've changed my mind...he's gone. Just hope we get top dollar for him unlike the rear-ending we took over Suarez. We should make  every effort to hold on to him,  but he's no different than Gotze...if he doesn't really want to be here, then bring in someone that does. We don't need anyone's charity.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #166: Jun 09, 2016 06:43:26 pm
      Like all of us, i'd like him to stay but I think he'll almost certainly be off.  If he was happy at Liverpool he'd have said so, therefore cutting short any further speculation on a transfer.  I understand he's being as straightforward as he can be at the moment when questioned by the media, but saying things like "there's been no offer" and (when referring to the possibility of an offer) "that's a matter for my representatives" kind of puts him in the shop window.  If I represented a club who were interested in signing him i'd take that as a sign of encouragement. It sort of invites offers. We've all seen this so many times in recent seasons with Torres and Suarez.  If he does go we need to get a good fee and sign a quality replacement.

Of course if he's being misquoted ....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #167: Jun 09, 2016 06:50:34 pm
      I think if Coutinho wants to leave, the club will sell him. If he doesn't, he'll stay. I know that sounds kind of obvious and generic, but I just don't reckon the club will fight to prevent people from leaving if there's a proper fee and if the player wants out.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #168: Jun 09, 2016 06:58:45 pm
      Like all of us, i'd like him to stay but I think he'll almost certainly be off.  If he was happy at Liverpool he'd have said so, therefore cutting short any further speculation on a transfer.  I understand he's being as straightforward as he can be at the moment when questioned by the media, but saying things like "there's been no offer" and (when referring to the possibility of an offer) "that's a matter for my representatives" kind of puts him in the shop window.  If I represented a club who were interested in signing him i'd take that as a sign of encouragement. It sort of invites offers. We've all seen this so many times in recent seasons with Torres and Suarez.  If he does go we need to get a good fee and sign a quality replacement.

Of course if he's being misquoted ....

Maybe he only wants wage increase. :)
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #169: Jun 09, 2016 07:00:51 pm
      There is no doubting the lad's quality and ability.  However, there are 3 questions that can be raised:

1. Is he consistent enough?
      2. What is his best position?
      3. Does he fit Klopp's high pressing tactics?

How you answer these questions combined with how much money he'd fetch (if sold) could be enough to suggest it might make sense to sell him, but I'll leave that decision to the gaffer....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #170: Jun 09, 2016 07:06:07 pm
      One thing that irritates me about the thought of him leaving is how we'd be left with only Sturridge from the front 4 who nearly won us the league in 2013/14. Backwards steps!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #171: Jun 09, 2016 10:16:36 pm

I reckon the guy he buys coffee from, told him!!!
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #172: Jun 09, 2016 11:22:37 pm
      If Klopp wants him in his team then he will fight tooth and nail to keep him. If he wants to go then we will get the maximum amount for him. I don't want him to go but I don't want to keep a player that doesn't want to be here.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #173: Jun 10, 2016 01:21:22 am
      There is no doubting the lad's quality and ability.  However, there are 3 questions that can be raised:

1. Is he consistent enough?
      2. What is his best position?
      3. Does he fit Klopp's high pressing tactics?

How you answer these questions combined with how much money he'd fetch (if sold) could be enough to suggest it might make sense to sell him, but I'll leave that decision to the gaffer....

There are other questions to consider though.

1. What's our success rate on transfers? Pretty low I think.
      2. What kind of message does this send? That we're a selling club, an attractive proposition to neither players nor investors.
      3. Who are we going to get of similar quality? Probably no one.

Honestly, if we sell him, I wash my hands of FSG. In terms of on pitch success, we have gone backwards since they took over. Under H&G we finish 4th, 2nd and 7th in their three full seasons, under Fenway it's 8th, 7th, 2nd, 6th, 8th and it's not going to improve by selling out best players each season which is what they have done in all but one season since they took over. I've never been a natural FSG-hater but my paitence with them is wearing thinner each Summer.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #174: Jun 10, 2016 02:16:47 am
      There are other questions to consider though.

1. What's our success rate on transfers? Pretty low I think.
      2. What kind of message does this send? That we're a selling club, an attractive proposition to neither players nor investors.
      3. Who are we going to get of similar quality? Probably no one.

Honestly, if we sell him, I wash my hands of FSG. In terms of on pitch success, we have gone backwards since they took over. Under H&G we finish 4th, 2nd and 7th in their three full seasons, under Fenway it's 8th, 7th, 2nd, 6th, 8th and it's not going to improve by selling out best players each season which is what they have done in all but one season since they took over. I've never been a natural FSG-hater but my paitence with them is wearing thinner each Summer.

I'm not advocating selling him.  If we do sell him, I think it will be due to a combination of factors: 

If he wants to leave
      AND
      Klopp wants to sell (or doesn't mind losing him)
      AND
      We receive a good offer for him
      THEN
      He will be sold

If any of these criteria aren't met then I think he'll stay.  If he is sold, then I'll trust the manager to have a plan in place to use the money to improve us.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #175: Jun 10, 2016 12:08:04 pm
      I'm not advocating selling him.  If we do sell him, I think it will be due to a combination of factors: 

If he wants to leave
      AND
      Klopp wants to sell (or doesn't mind losing him)
      AND
      We receive a good offer for him
      THEN
      He will be sold

If any of these criteria aren't met then I think he'll stay.  If he is sold, then I'll trust the manager to have a plan in place to use the money to improve us.

I know you're not advocating, I'm saying that we cannot achieve success regardless of who is manager, if every year we keep selling our best players. Look at FSG's record since taking over. They've sold Torres, Suarez and Sterling across three of the four full seasons they've owned this club. It's not coincidence then that we've finished in the Champions League once and, similarly, put a title challenge together once. We sell quality, we buy dross and then wonder why we do so badly.

So if he wants to leave we tell him he's contracted to us and we expect him to honour that contract.

AND

Klopp wants to sell (or doesn't mind losing him) someone respectfully reminds him that overturning Bayern is a completely different kettle of fish to overturning Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea and Spurs, never mind Southampton, West Ham and Leicester who all finished above us last season, and we need our best players if we're to have any chance of doing that.

AND

We receive a good offer for him, we tell them to add a few more zeros before we'll even contemplate it.

THEN

He won't be sold and we'll have a much better chance of winning the damn league.

As a club we're going about everything the wrong way. We shouldn't be thinning the squad on the basis of no Europe, we should be strengthening it, enlarging it. We still have three of the possible four seasonal competitions to play in and by bringing in players now, we can bed them in before we have Europe the following season so that they have a much greater chance of hitting the ground running.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #176: Jun 10, 2016 12:13:30 pm
      I know you're not advocating, I'm saying that we cannot achieve success regardless of who is manager, if every year we keep selling our best players. Look at FSG's record since taking over. They've sold Torres, Suarez and Sterling across three of the four full seasons they've owned this club. It's not coincidence then that we've finished in the Champions League once and, similarly, put a title challenge together once. We sell quality, we buy dross and then wonder why we do so badly.

So if he wants to leave we tell him he's contracted to us and we expect him to honour that contract.

AND

Klopp wants to sell (or doesn't mind losing him) someone respectfully reminds him that overturning Bayern is a completely different kettle of fish to overturning Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea and Spurs, never mind Southampton, West Ham and Leicester who all finished above us last season, and we need our best players if we're to have any chance of doing that.

AND

We receive a good offer for him, we tell them to add a few more zeros before we'll even contemplate it.

THEN

He won't be sold and we'll have a much better chance of winning the damn league.

As a club we're going about everything the wrong way. We shouldn't be thinning the squad on the basis of no Europe, we should be strengthening it, enlarging it. We still have three of the possible four seasonal competitions to play in and by bringing in players now, we can bed them in before we have Europe the following season so that they have a much greater chance of hitting the ground running.

Or we just let Klopp get on with his job, if he doesn't fancy Phil, btw I think he does, then he is left to get on constructing the team he wants.

And who exactly do you propose reminds Klopp of how to build a team?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #177: Jun 10, 2016 01:27:47 pm

Hmm, did he not mention how happy he is at Liverpool, and how he has a contract with us and that he wants to win trophies with us and his future is here? sh*t like that !?!

Not to over-react but ... fuucccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkk!!!!

Houston, we have a problem.
      We need a white van, outside the Brazil hotel, bag over Cou's head, into the van, safe house, until mid Aug.  Have you got a better plan FSG?
      Of course not, this is them on the phone...
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #178: Jun 10, 2016 01:40:28 pm
      Fair points, but for what it's worth:

Selling Torres improved us.  Suarez had better production than Torres in the years following his sale to Chelsea, and the money recouped from selling Torres (which was invested into Suarez and Carroll -- about 58M in total I think) grew into about 90M from the combined sales of Luis and Andy.

Selling Sterling had little to no impact on our team.  Firmino had basically the exact same production this season as Raheem did, and the current combined value of Benteke and Firmino is probably still about even with the current value of Raheem. 

Selling Suarez is what crippled us.  None of Lovren, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert, or Balotelli have had the type of impact we needed them to have and the combined value of this group has probably depreciated from the 90M we spent on them to around 40M - 50M. 

Selling Coutinho won't be a problem IF we get good value for him AND we replace him with players who both match his productuon (10 goals and 10 assists in all competitions isn't that difficult to replace) AND appreciate in value after coming to LFC.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #179: Jun 10, 2016 01:46:10 pm
      Selling Coutinho won't be a problem IF we get good value for him AND we replace him with players who both match better his productuon AND appreciate in value after coming to LFC.
      Fixed that [from a football fan's PoV] and yes... it really is as simple as that.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016 02:47:16 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #180: Jun 10, 2016 02:09:33 pm

Selling Torres improved us.  Suarez had better production than Torres in the years following his sale to Chelsea, and the money recouped from selling Torres (which was invested into Suarez and Carroll -- about 58M in total I think) grew into about 90M from the combined sales of Luis and Andy.

Selling Sterling had little to no impact on our team.  Firmino had basically the exact same production this season as Raheem did, and the current combined value of Benteke and Firmino is probably still about even with the current value of Raheem. 

Torres before he left was a shadow of the Nando we'd seen at his best. He was not really doing it for us when he left anyway.

Personally think Sterling when he left was better than Firmino currently is. Not by huge amount, but do think Rob still has to improve aways. Just imo.

SG, Suarez, Sterling gone. Imo Cou and Studge are now next best players. Cou our current best. We haven't really replaced ANY of the guys mentioned went with quite the same level of quality.
      So hard to agree ... for any money ... how selling your best players is 'good' plan.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #181: Jun 10, 2016 02:34:10 pm
      SG, Suarez, Sterling gone. Imo Cou and Studge are now next best players. Cou our current best. We haven't really replaced ANY of the guys mentioned went with quite the same level of quality.
      So hard to agree ... for any money ... how selling your best players is 'good' plan.

For the record, I want to keep Coutinho.  I would say he is our 2nd best player behind Studge.  However, Danny seems to play better when he has Coutinho linking up with him.  For that reason, I think Danny and Phil should be the two players we build the team around.

However, my opinion carries the same value as everyone else's on here -- the grand total of sweet F**k all :) 

Only one man's opinion matters -- Jürgen Klopp.  And if the gaffer wants to build the team around Philippe and Danny -- great!!  If not, and HE decides to sell them, I'll trust he knows want he's doing -- he proved as much in his time with Dortmund.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #182: Jun 10, 2016 02:42:08 pm
      Only one man's opinion matters -- Jürgen Klopp.  And if the gaffer wants to build the team around Philippe and Danny -- great!!  If not, and HE decides to sell them, I'll trust he knows want he's doing -- he proved as much in his time with Dortmund.

Yea, if he does go, hope Jürgen has more success replacing what was lost with similar, or better quality, than we've been able to recently.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #183: Jun 10, 2016 03:15:27 pm
      Torres before he left was a shadow of the Nando we'd seen at his best. He was not really doing it for us when he left anyway.

Personally think Sterling when he left was better than Firmino currently is. Not by huge amount, but do think Rob still has to improve aways. Just imo.

I find it amazing how so many on here under rate Firmino, just for comparison Sterling in his last season here scored 7 goals with 7 assists and even in the year with Suarez only managed 9 goals and 5 assists.

Firmino 11 goals with 9 assists.

So in terms of output which is how attacking players are measured how is Sterling better than Firmino.

Maybe the fact that Raheem has spent most of last season on the bench be a indicator.

Quick Reply