Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Philippe Coutinho (PSG)

Read 27924 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (PSG)
      Reply #207: Jun 10, 2016 11:45:42 pm
      But surely we pay what we can afford to pay atm and this will reduce compared to the Top 4 clubs as our commercial name admittedly way to late takes advantage of our global name.

Our commercial name will mean nothing if we don't start winning things and get back into Europe. Major firms want to be associated with success not failure. Young fans around the world are also attracted to successful teams not midtable ones.

We sold Suarez for £65 million... how much do you think that deal has cost us? £40 million CL money per season maybe?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #208: Jun 10, 2016 11:56:14 pm
      We sold Suarez for £65 million

Gary, what exactly is the club supposed to tell him to do when he wants to go...Hell I am all for paying top wages and spending top money..its not my money but when a player like Luis wants to go to Barcelona how exactly are we supposed to stop them?
      Kopite78
      Reply #209: Jun 10, 2016 11:59:32 pm
      Gary, what exactly is the club supposed to tell him to do when he wants to go...Hell I am all for paying top wages and spending top money..its not my money but when a player like Luis wants to go to Barcelona how exactly are we supposed to stop them?

If you write a clause into his contract saying he can go for 65m then you cant say anything if someone bids 65m no
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #210: Jun 11, 2016 12:01:12 am

I tend to agree in the case of Suarez. It would have been difficult to keep him whatever the money. The mistake was squandering the opportunity to use that season and the money we had to better the squad, and part of attracting top players is paying competitive wages.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #211: Jun 11, 2016 12:08:19 am

Tell them no ?

Seemed to work fine the season before. :)

The point is not keeping players prisoner, the point is to make them want to stay because the club matches their ambitions. Ensure that they don't feel they have to leave if they want to win titles and trophies.

As long as we pretend we are a big club but have this small time attitude we will lose our best players. Not because they are less loyal than other players at the club , but because they are more in demand.

We have to start showing ambition not just talking about it. 6 years one trophy and one top 4 finish while selling our best players season after season is not ambition, but it is a bloody good reason why our best players are leaving faster than rats from a sinking ship. 

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #212: Jun 11, 2016 12:56:38 am
      Payet is 29.

Coutinho is 6 years younger and will be world class in 2 years.

Had you even heard of Payet 2 years ago?

Which means what exactly? Who had heard of Riyad Mahrez before? Doesn't change their abilities. I merely stated that if he wants to go, Payet, regardless of him being 6 years older than Phil, would make an excellent replacement. Surely the last PL season would show that. Oh, and his goal for France wasn't too bad either....

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #213: Jun 11, 2016 03:26:33 am
      If you write a clause into his contract saying he can go for 65m then you cant say anything if someone bids 65m no

If the player wants a move, he is going to get a move period end of story; nobody is going to keep somebody against they're will, which will lead to attitude problems and sulking which spreads throughout the entire clubhouse.

Again if a player wants to go your really not going to stop him.

As far as buy-out clauses go, as much as the clubs use them players/agents demand they are inserted into contracts to use them as tools for other clubs to come calling.

It cuts both ways.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #214: Jun 11, 2016 03:27:54 am
      Tell them no ?

Seemed to work fine the season before. :)

The point is not keeping players prisoner, the point is to make them want to stay because the club matches their ambitions. Ensure that they don't feel they have to leave if they want to win titles and trophies.

As long as we pretend we are a big club but have this small time attitude we will lose our best players. Not because they are less loyal than other players at the club , but because they are more in demand.

We have to start showing ambition not just talking about it. 6 years one trophy and one top 4 finish while selling our best players season after season is not ambition, but it is a bloody good reason why our best players are leaving faster than rats from a sinking ship. 

Going to have a hard time Gary especially with South American players and Barca/Real...PSG and other PL teams sure but most of these guys grow up in love with the Spanish powerhouses.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #215: Jun 11, 2016 04:30:17 am
      Going to have a hard time Gary especially with South American players and Barca/Real...PSG and other PL teams sure but most of these guys grow up in love with the Spanish powerhouses.

Nah mate.

Extreme example :- Barca bid £5 final offer for Coutinho and Coutinho says he wants to go. Do we sell ? No. Why not? So why should we sell if they bid £50 million if it's not about the money?

A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him for a million pounds. She replies yes. He then asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for five pounds. The woman greatly offended says "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

He: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.

The only time you need to worry about having to sell a player is when he is moving into his last year of contract (last two years is usually when new contracts are negotiated).

Coutinho has signed a five year deal, so we have 3 years before we need worry about his contract, 4 years before we need worry he may go for nothing, 5 years before he can leave for free. (I think his contract has 4 years remaining)   

The only reason we sold Suarez was that he bit someone and the money was just too good for FSG to turn down. Barca didn't even pay his buyout of £75million (according to Barca).

So again what we need to do is match our top players ambitions, rather than allowing them move to achieve them, show them that they can achieve everything they want here.

The alternative is admit that we can't keep our top players when Barca/Madrid come calling , then admit we can't keep our top players when the mancs come calling, then admit we can't keep our players when Southampton come calling and after that ... who f**king cares who comes calling.

As I said before, if Gerrard was here now as a World class player of 24 he wouldn't be here for long.   

You should never sell your best players.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #216: Jun 11, 2016 08:38:37 am
      Oh for the days when we bought the best players s@int and L.F.C. was a  club that top players wanted to join.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #217: Jun 11, 2016 08:58:51 am

Misplaced loyalty. That's why some 'fans' still don't get it s@int (and some pretend not to). When FSG got their silver for Luis, then Raheem, the predictions were made that Phil would be 'next'.

Here's another one; if Phil goes the next target will be Firmino.

Misplaced loyalty. Leads to selective and often fickle memory. Way back, their glorious leader JWH identified the problem [creating an atmosphere where your best wanted to stay] and he spun the yarn that they would address that. That was a lie. I guess, when people have been stroked, they just don't want to admit it.

The Emperor's New Clothes.

Misplaced loyalty. We have fans who believe a season is measured in only two columns 'win' and 'lose' -  Liverpool F.C. last season 16 and 10... To those 'fans' Liverpool had a "winning season" and they are genuinely F***ing baffled when people like me and you 'moan'.

The proof of the pudding is always... always... in the eating. 

Misplaced loyalty. Counting back = 8th; 6th; 2nd; 7th; 8th & 6th.   :o :-\

Listen; Phil will only be sold if and F***ing when the money's right. That might be this Summer or later but it'll be about finance, not football, when he is.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #218: Jun 11, 2016 10:20:01 am
      Nah mate.

Extreme example :- Barca bid £5 final offer for Coutinho and Coutinho says he wants to go. Do we sell ? No. Why not? So why should we sell if they bid £50 million if it's not about the money?

A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him for a million pounds. She replies yes. He then asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for five pounds. The woman greatly offended says "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

He: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.

The only time you need to worry about having to sell a player is when he is moving into his last year of contract (last two years is usually when new contracts are negotiated).

Coutinho has signed a five year deal, so we have 3 years before we need worry about his contract, 4 years before we need worry he may go for nothing, 5 years before he can leave for free. (I think his contract has 4 years remaining)   

The only reason we sold Suarez was that he bit someone and the money was just too good for FSG to turn down. Barca didn't even pay his buyout of £75million (according to Barca).

So again what we need to do is match our top players ambitions, rather than allowing them move to achieve them, show them that they can achieve everything they want here.

The alternative is admit that we can't keep our top players when Barca/Madrid come calling , then admit we can't keep our top players when the mancs come calling, then admit we can't keep our players when Southampton come calling and after that ... who f**king cares who comes calling.

As I said before, if Gerrard was here now as a World class player of 24 he wouldn't be here for long.   

You should never sell your best players.

Talking too much sense again Saint, stop it!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #219: Jun 11, 2016 11:25:39 am
      Payet is 29.

Coutinho is 6 years younger and will be world class in 2 years.

Had you even heard of Payet 2 years ago?
      Players peak at different times... whether or nor no one heard of him two years age is irrelevant, we are hearing about him now...You just knew that once it had became 1-1 last night France vs Romania it would be Payet that would have the last say, and what a last say it was... but back on point... although I believe that he would be a excellent replacement for  Coutinho with the likes of Real sniffing about I seriously doubt that LFC have any real chance of signing him
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #220: Jun 11, 2016 11:26:47 am
      If we keep saying "if our best players want to go  fuckem" we are going to finish up a midtable side... oh wait we already are! 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #221: Jun 11, 2016 11:59:31 am
      Players peak at different times... whether or nor no one heard of him two years age is irrelevant, we are hearing about him now...You just knew that once it had became 1-1 last night France vs Romania it would be Payet that would have the last say, and what a last say it was... but back on point... although I believe that he would be a excellent replacement for  Coutinho with the likes of Real sniffing about I seriously doubt that LFC have any real chance of signing him

payet to real Madrid ? Sounds like typical summer transfer sh*t, as for coutinho half of you seem to have sold him already on the basis of very little.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #222: Jun 11, 2016 12:31:35 pm
      I tend to agree in the case of Suarez. It would have been difficult to keep him whatever the money. The mistake was squandering the opportunity to use that season and the money we had to better the squad, and part of attracting top players is paying competitive wages.

It still beggars belief that after selling Suarez, our replacements up front were Lambert and Balotelli.   IF we sell big players, we HAVE to replace them with better quality than we have been. If we don't have a guaranteed quality replacement, don't F***ing sell. IDEALLY don't sell at all obviously.
      Agree that when Luis left it was time. After sticking by him after the 1st bite, the 2nd bite was a step to far ... imo.
      Also, the summer before Luis actually left he was making some comments in the media etc maybe looking to get away ... and recall reaction by many was the usual, well if he doesn't want to be here, he can f off. But BR/club held firm, huge credit to them, didn't sell, and kept him one more season which led to the title near miss.

We don't have to sell Cou. He's under contract. He's our best player. He hasn't bitten anyone. This is the first summer of significant interest in him, we can fend it off if we want to. Whether we will or not, will see.
      liverpool_13
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #223: Jun 11, 2016 01:00:22 pm
      His price comes with higher premium. especially after his Copa America performance.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #224: Jun 11, 2016 01:02:43 pm

He's a West Ham player. They may have finished above us, but we are a bigger club. Surely, it's not beyond the realms of reality to be able to sign a player at a smaller club?

We are supposedly the 8th richest club in the world with an illustrious history and a top manager at the helm.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #225: Jun 11, 2016 02:18:00 pm
      payet to real Madrid ? Sounds like typical summer transfer sh*t,
      Most of it normally is...

as for coutinho half of you seem to have sold him already on the basis of very little.

Not at all, But should we sell him, we will survive it, I trust Klopp to do what he deems fit to rebuild the team
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #226: Jun 13, 2016 05:11:41 am
      "I am grateful for everything Liverpool has done for me. Am I happy there working under Klopp? It's clear, he's great."

- Phil spoke to a Brazilian publication, Lance!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #227: Jun 13, 2016 11:15:16 am
      James Pearce from the Echo running with the story of Phil reaffirming his commitment to Liverpool.

Can we all settle the F**k down now? :D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #228: Jun 13, 2016 11:22:25 am
      James Pearce from the Echo running with the story of Phil reaffirming his commitment to Liverpool.

Can we all settle the f**k down now? :D

Would definitely like to see him remain a Liverpool player. When on top form, he's simply amazing to watch.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #229: Jun 13, 2016 11:42:50 am
      Would definitely like to see him remain a Liverpool player. When on top form, he's simply amazing to watch.

Wearing my kit with his name on the back as i type this. I agree!

Someone you build around. He's special and yes he goes hot and cold but he's so important for us and our attack. Plus he puts in a shift without the ball.

Quick Reply