Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Philippe Coutinho (PSG)

Read 27942 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (PSG)
      Reply #69: Jun 03, 2016 12:45:53 pm
      Twitter:

- Klopp wants to build on what he's got.
      - Not interested in selling.
      - Coutinho settled with his family. Hasn't asked for a move.
      - FSG want to give Jürgen money in the market but he doesn't think it's necessary.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Jun 03, 2016 01:01:47 pm
      Twitter:

- Klopp wants to build on what he's got.
      - Not interested in selling.
      - Coutinho settled with his family. Hasn't asked for a move.
      - FSG want to give Jürgen money in the market but he doesn't think it's necessary.

I'd take it while it's being offered if I was him :D Genuinely though, I get that he wants to improve younger players and turn them into stars but this is a perfect opportunity to bring in some established top players along with some younger lads.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #71: Jun 03, 2016 01:32:33 pm
      F**k off PSG ya cu*ts.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #72: Jun 03, 2016 01:33:08 pm

That's the most beautiful poem I've ever read :D
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #73: Jun 03, 2016 01:34:43 pm
      And probably for 20% - 30% less than we could get from PSG....

Coutinho has been my favorite player for a few seasons now, but he isn't un-sellable nor is he irreplaceable.  Furthermore, I don't think he is the ideal player for a Klopp team.  He is great with the ball at his feet, but the manager (by his own admission) prefers to play without the ball. 

I personally prefer the Barca method of dominating the ball and using possession for both attack and defense.  However, we need to trust the manager and allow him to buy/sell the players he wants so that he can properly implement his philosophy.  That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Philippe is sacrificed for the greater good....
      Totally agree with you
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #74: Jun 03, 2016 01:36:50 pm
      Comparatively low wages are as good as a come and get me sign in these days where money is apparently almost everything

Fair point however I'm not sure any of the current squad deserve (relatively) mega wages.

We should have broke our wage structure for Suárez. Nobody would have been able to argue.

He should have been faced with a decision of going to Barca on less money. No question.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #75: Jun 03, 2016 01:37:14 pm
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #76: Jun 03, 2016 02:21:55 pm
      Coutinho claims he misses winning cups, amidst reported PSG interest

The transfer window isn’t even open yet and we’ve already had the Mario Gotze saga, now the Philippe Coutinho saga looks set to run this summer.

The Reds’ No.10 is readying for Brazil’s opening game of the Copa America, against Ecuador on Saturday night / Sunday morning (UK) and has been discussing many things with Brazilian journalists.

He’s quoted as saying: “I miss winning cups. Copa América is another opportunity for me, because every player dreams of winning cups.”

It’s a pretty bizarre claim, given that Coutinho’s silverware consists of one Italian Cup, one Italian Super Cup, and one FIFA Club World Cup – all won in 2010/2011 while with Inter Milan and Coutinho himself never appeared in any of three finals.

Meanwhile, the 23-year-old has become an established name in European football at Liverpool, and won the club’s player of the year for the last two seasons.

Liverpool lost two finals this season, with Coutinho scoring the equaliser against Man City in the League Cup final, but missing his penalty in the shootout.

He was influential in getting to the Europa League final, but failed to show in the final itself against Sevilla.

Perhaps it’s just an off the cuff phrase and hopefully not an ill-advised hint at wanting to move away in order to win trophies.

Coutinho’s comments come the day after PSG were linked with a £46 million move for the Brazilian.

“Brazil can always count on great players,” he also said. “I can feel the high level during training. I’m surrounded by players who understand me.”

Hopefully Liverpool can sign more players of Coutinho’s quality and ambitions this summer, rather than lose another key player for a third consecutive summer in a row following the departures of Raheem Sterling and Luis Suarez in recent years.

http://bit.ly/1P9ImBf

Perhaps you shouldn't have gone missing in the final then should you and we might have actually won something? I have zero tolerance for this kind of knobheadary. Want to win something? Step up and be counted when it really matters.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #77: Jun 03, 2016 02:33:04 pm
      Genuinely though, I get that he wants to improve younger players and turn them into stars but this is a perfect opportunity to bring in some established top players along with some younger lads.

What kind of established player? Like a £45m rated attacking midfielder?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #78: Jun 03, 2016 02:33:51 pm
      What kind of established player? Like a £45m rated attacking midfielder?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What you getting all arsey about? Who mentioned a 45m midfielder? I certainly didn't.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #79: Jun 03, 2016 02:37:57 pm
      Coutinho claims he misses winning cups, amidst reported PSG interest

The transfer window isn’t even open yet and we’ve already had the Mario Gotze saga, now the Philippe Coutinho saga looks set to run this summer.

The Reds’ No.10 is readying for Brazil’s opening game of the Copa America, against Ecuador on Saturday night / Sunday morning (UK) and has been discussing many things with Brazilian journalists.

He’s quoted as saying: “I miss winning cups. Copa América is another opportunity for me, because every player dreams of winning cups.”

It’s a pretty bizarre claim, given that Coutinho’s silverware consists of one Italian Cup, one Italian Super Cup, and one FIFA Club World Cup – all won in 2010/2011 while with Inter Milan and Coutinho himself never appeared in any of three finals.

Meanwhile, the 23-year-old has become an established name in European football at Liverpool, and won the club’s player of the year for the last two seasons.

Liverpool lost two finals this season, with Coutinho scoring the equaliser against Man City in the League Cup final, but missing his penalty in the shootout.

He was influential in getting to the Europa League final, but failed to show in the final itself against Sevilla.

Perhaps it’s just an off the cuff phrase and hopefully not an ill-advised hint at wanting to move away in order to win trophies.

Coutinho’s comments come the day after PSG were linked with a £46 million move for the Brazilian.

“Brazil can always count on great players,” he also said. “I can feel the high level during training. I’m surrounded by players who understand me.”

Hopefully Liverpool can sign more players of Coutinho’s quality and ambitions this summer, rather than lose another key player for a third consecutive summer in a row following the departures of Raheem Sterling and Luis Suarez in recent years.

http://bit.ly/1P9ImBf

Perhaps you shouldn't have gone missing in the final then should you and we might have actually won something? I have zero tolerance for this kind of knobheadary. Want to win something? Step up and be counted when it really matters.

Yep, he and about 9 others we could mention?

YNWA

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Jun 03, 2016 02:43:03 pm
      It always winds me up when players say they miss winning trophies after they've gotten to a final or two and failed to perform for most of the game(s).
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #81: Jun 03, 2016 02:45:35 pm
      but he wouldn't have come here if he didn't think coutinho was a good fit for the team. coutinho is one of a few players every person who knows about this subject in the world would would say klopp would've wanted to work with. nobody would've left him out. if there was any inkling in his head of "hey i could sell this kid for mega money and get some better dudes" his name wouldn't be Jürgen klopp. he's here because he loves the club and the young players we have - remember, he said he feels he rates the team much higher than most fans and most people. he said that when he got here. klopp has much more faith in this football club than the supporter base. klopp has come from dortmund who have been top of the world in terms of love and support for their club. not a single one of their coaches or peoples or fans would have ever thought sh*t like "hey let's sell lewandowski and get someone better to challenge for a title" that is just FIFA 16 talk. real men don't think like that, football coaches don't think like that. coaches know teams work for each other and how are you supposed to build a team if you're selling precious people that make it up? coutinho isn't just a brasillian attacking midfielder, he's a boy we've been watching since he had big curly hair, he's OUR young brasillian attacking midfielder, i mean i know people think football is just money and soulless transfers now but do you actually let that dominate the way you think? or do you still like some of our players and want to see them grow and succeed together? i hope some people still think like this.

This is pretty much pure gibberish....

You claim that "he (Klopp) wouldn't have come here if he didn't think Coutinho was a good fit for the team."  In effect, you are suggesting that one of the only reasons Klopp came was because of Coutinho, and if he wasn't here then Klopp wouldn't have signed.  This is utter nonsense.  Klopp signed because we are one of the most storied and decorated clubs in the world, we have a global fan base, and he relishes the challenge of taking us back to the top of the English and European game.  He would be here with or without Coutinho. 

I am not advocating selling Philippe as he is one of our most talented players.  However, no player is bigger than the club.  If Klopp thinks he can sell a player (any player including Coutinho) and use the money to improve the team then he has my full backing.  Money has nothing to do with it.  Sentiment towards players has nothing to do with it.  The only thing that matters is the betterment of LFC.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #82: Jun 03, 2016 03:00:17 pm
      "I miss winning cups" -- maybe ya should have shown up in Basel smdh

That said, while Coutinho can be inconsistent, in no way would I be looking to sell him. Too much talent there.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #83: Jun 03, 2016 03:07:55 pm
      I'd take it while it's being offered if I was him :D Genuinely though, I get that he wants to improve younger players and turn them into stars but this is a perfect opportunity to bring in some established top players along with some younger lads.

Agree it'd be nice to see someone we know and seen perform at a high level. But that's how Jürgen works I suppose. And it hasn't done him any harm in his career! So I'll sit back in my chair and wait for the signings to be announced.

Haven't been bothered all window about rumours and I won't start now even though Phil is one of my favourites. If he goes, Jürgen would've made the call.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,222 posts | 4919 
      Reply #84: Jun 03, 2016 03:21:26 pm
      It always winds me up when players say they miss winning trophies after they've gotten to a final or two and failed to perform for most of the game(s).

Especially when they've won next to F**k all in their career.

Strange comment from Phil.

I don't want him to go.

I don't think we should sell.

But I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's gone come September.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #85: Jun 03, 2016 03:26:37 pm
      "I miss winning cups" -- maybe ya should have shown up in Basel smdh

That said, while Coutinho can be inconsistent, in no way would I be looking to sell him. Too much talent there.

Don't believe he played in any of the finals at Inter...
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #86: Jun 03, 2016 03:29:49 pm
      Don't believe he played in any of the finals at Inter...

Maybe he's talking about his Futsal trophies....  :f_tongueincheek:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #87: Jun 03, 2016 03:36:31 pm
      Good luck to them.

Add a 1 to the front of their bid he's theirs.
      £0.45m? I'd rather take the  £45m.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #88: Jun 03, 2016 03:49:05 pm
      £0.45m? I'd rather take the  £45m.

Sometimes i read things and can feel the brain cells killing themselves.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #89: Jun 03, 2016 03:54:03 pm
      I get the strong impression that we don't defend our best players from these type of raids in the same way other big clubs do.

Comparatively low wages are as good as a come and get me sign in these days where money is apparently almost everything.

Obviously if we were a little more successful with cups and trophies it would help, but until that time I think we should be defending our best players vigorously. Straight refusal to any offers, thereby showing our best players how much we value them, may give them a little more leverage at wage negotiations but better that than seeing one leave every season.

The way the mancs for example held off Madrid over De gea is something we probably wouldn't or couldn't do.

You don't (or shouldn't ) sell your best players, and Coutinho is imo not only our best player but one who's sale might be the final straw showing that we are no longer a "big club".   

I agree with not selling your big players and not wanting them to leave.

But with de gea - weren't they doing a swap deal with Navas and it failed as it wasn't completed in time (bloody fax machine)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #90: Jun 03, 2016 05:36:19 pm
      £45m is tempting in the event that we have some equally as good, if not better lined up (like Gotze). He's a fantastic player but annoyingly inconsistent, and does happen to go missing when the team is playing poorly. He's not one to drag us back up to the top. He's featured consistently in a team that finished seventh. If he were THAT good, then he'd be able to lead by example, and that applies to when the going gets tough. Where was he against Seville?

In my opinion, he has not played well enough to warrant a move to PSG. He still needs to kick on before he can be considered world class, because he is anything but that. I like Phillipe, probably our best player, but then that speaks volumes about how much work we have to do in order to compete for major silverware.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #91: Jun 03, 2016 05:38:25 pm
      So many players are just hired guns anymore, with no real loyalty to a club.

Not saying Coutinho wants to leave of course, I would have no way of knowing.

But with agents and percentages of big transfer fees bringing million-pound payments to players and agents, the agitation is always going to be for deals/moves to be done.

Players hold most of the cards. If he's not interested he can put this to bed easily and quickly. But if he finds it enticing, the club's responsibility is to make the best of it, either by getting him a deal that is better for him (and his agent) than leaving would be, OR by getting a big fee and using it to make the team better overall.

I wish I could just sleep until Aug. 1 and wake up to find out who has come and gone. Of course nobody's putting a gun to my head to make me obsess about all things LFC. I just do.  :)

Quick Reply