Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Christian Benteke (Chelsea/Crystal Palace/Sunderland)

Read 67083 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Christian Benteke (Chelsea)
      Reply #46: Jun 30, 2016 02:57:19 am
      look at how desperate we are to sell him, and happily sell at a loss.

this signing (like others) was destined not to work.

im not on the transfer committee - but the people who are on do not seem to 1. know football 2. support Liverpool.

Come off it mate.  He doesn't fit Klopp's plans, but let's not make it out like he's been a disaster.  His goals/assists ratio per 90 minutes of play is damn near 0.5 per 90, which tends to be the mark of a top striker.  His game may not be pretty and no one is ever going to call him poetry in motion, but he has very good production and will be a very good striker in a club that plays to his strengths.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #47: Jun 30, 2016 06:01:19 am
      I like how we stick to our guns and hold for 30m rather than sell him on cheap. I hope going forward we take it up a notch and deal like Maureen who always manages to sell his unwanted players at a profit - KdB, Mata, Lukaku, Schurrle to name a few.

Palace have genuine pace in their wings. Bolasie, Puncheon, Zaha, Sako and probably Townsend now, are perfect for Benteke. All he has to do is to be in the box troubling the defence and those crosses will be like dessert for him! A move that makes sense from every angle and for all parties involved.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Jun 30, 2016 08:35:22 am
      I think he'd be a decent signing for Palace, when I heard they were getting Batshuayi I was surprised, seems a top prospect. I think he'll also fit them much more than he did for us.

Always seemed a decent bloke, I'd hate for him to act a bit of a knob and sit out his contract because he's on a top wage. At his age he should invest a bit of that in his career rather than doing an Enrique and disappearing off the map. FWIW I think he'll move and we'll pay a % of his wages, whether we also use that money for Dahoud I don't know but I doubt we'll actually see another striker come in.

Sturridge
      Origi
      Ings
      Firmino
      Mane at a push?

I think without European football we wont get another this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #49: Jun 30, 2016 08:53:27 am
      Come off it mate.  He doesn't fit Klopp's plans, but let's not make it out like he's been a disaster.  His goals/assists ratio per 90 minutes of play is damn near 0.5 per 90, which tends to be the mark of a top striker.  His game may not be pretty and no one is ever going to call him poetry in motion, but he has very good production and will be a very good striker in a club that plays to his strengths.

He scores goals but to the detriment of the team, even at Villa the stats showed they scored more when he didnt play.

His hold up play, his general movement, back to goal play, even aerially was shocking last season - not really the traits of a top striker.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #50: Jun 30, 2016 10:07:33 am
      Was against Benteke coming here from day 1. It was painfully obvious he wouldn't fit in here. We don't play direct.

That said, he has always said the right things and has been a true professional despite being dropped and then towards the end of the season having very limited opportunities with a young inexperienced Origi getting the nod instead.

I hope he moves on and becomes a beast for somebody else. He is a real handful when you play to his strengths and I for one won't be looking forward to playing against him again. He is definitely one of those players who will come back to haunt us.

Hope he moves on for the sake of his career. Best of luck if/when he does.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #51: Jun 30, 2016 10:33:15 am
      It was painfully obvious he wouldn't fit in here. We don't play direct.
      Very like thon 'Super' Mario goat (apart from the fact Christian has way more talented) in fact.

It's a real pity Jürgen, who fancied Christian for BvB, couldn't make it work but sometimes you've just got to accept the realities and move on. It was a mistake to sign him (sh*t happens) and hopefully that mistake will be rectified soon.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #52: Jun 30, 2016 11:47:43 am
      Very like thon 'Super' Mario goat (apart from the fact Christian has way more talented) in fact.

It's a real pity Jürgen, who fancied Christian for BvB, couldn't make it work but sometimes you've just got to accept the realities and move on. It was a mistake to sign him (sh*t happens) and hopefully that mistake will be rectified soon.

sh*te only happens to Liverpool TC.  :mad:
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #53: Jun 30, 2016 02:27:52 pm
      Sh*te only happens to Liverpool TC.  :mad:

Don't be ridiculous.... Every top team makes poor transfers. 

Utd - Bebe, Anderson, Djemba-Djemba, etc.

Chelsea - Torres, Shevchenko, Del Horno, Mutu, etc.

City - Santa Cruz, Adebayor, Robinho, etc.

The list goes on....

Had Brendan kept his job it may have been different for the big man.  Unfortunately for him, he doesn't fit into Klopp's tactics.  But let's not act like a player capable of this

https://youtu.be/kWZme060va8

And this

https://youtu.be/3tBiQ79Ns5M

Is some useless piece of sh*t....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Jun 30, 2016 03:01:51 pm
      Don't be ridiculous.... Every top team makes poor transfers. 

Utd - Bebe, Anderson, Djemba-Djemba, etc.

Chelsea - Torres, Shevchenko, Del Horno, Mutu, etc.

City - Santa Cruz, Adebayor, Robinho, etc.

The list goes on....

Had Brendan kept his job it may have been different for the big man.  Unfortunately for him, he doesn't fit into Klopp's tactics.  But let's not act like a player capable of this

https://youtu.be/kWZme060va8

And this

https://youtu.be/3tBiQ79Ns5M

Is some useless piece of sh*t....

Agreed mate. I've said since before we signed him that I think he's a really good player but you have to make him the focal point of your attack.

Edit: That overhead kick was a beauty. Probably my favourite goal of the season.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #55: Jun 30, 2016 05:31:15 pm
      £30m is very good business if we're to pull it off. It's less than a 10% loss.

Compare that to Mario... I doubt Mario can even command £14.5m (about 10% loss) at this point in time. Classic lesson for those on the TC who hoped to flip him for a handsome profit.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #56: Jun 30, 2016 05:36:58 pm
      I doubt Mario can even command £14.5m (about 10% loss) at this point in time

:lmao: :lmao:

You seriously think we'll get a 90% ROI on Mario?!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #57: Jun 30, 2016 05:49:17 pm

I think that'd be a -9.375% ROI wouldn't it?  :lmao:

I'm thinking max we could get for Mario is £8m from the Chinese. We thought he was bad when he only bagged one goal for us through 16 league apps, but he went to Milan and only got one in 20 league apps. Can't see why anyone would even consider paying anything at all for a striker with 2 goals in his last 36 league apps and with a pitiful sh*thead attitude.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #58: Jun 30, 2016 05:51:30 pm

Nope. I didn't think so. Was it 90% of purchase price you meant? I was only quoting £14.5m a loss of 10% which is comparable to Ben. I said I doubt we can even command this price now for Mario. I actually think we'd realistically have to take more than a 10% loss on Mario. So to take a loss of 10% on Ben is good business (drawing comparison between the two loss making deals).

90% ROI is £16m x 1.9 = £30m. Probably the TC's thinking when they first did this Mario deal.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Jun 30, 2016 06:14:55 pm
      Assume Benteke doesn't move in the next month. If he gets some games in the preseason (would he?) and starts to look good in Klopp's system, pressing AND scoring goals, would Klopp reconsider moving him?

COULD he adapt to a pressing style and do well?

If we're going to insist on something about 30 million, this may take a while.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #60: Jun 30, 2016 06:21:53 pm

The reports say that we want £30mill and wont go on the cheap. £2.5mill on a player we paid £32.5mill for and had a season of essentially wasting time is hardly something to cry about.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #61: Jun 30, 2016 06:22:02 pm
      Assume Benteke doesn't move in the next month. If he gets some games in the preseason (would he?) and starts to look good in Klopp's system, pressing AND scoring goals, would Klopp reconsider moving him?

We honestly do not need him, Klopp plays with one front and you have 3 pure strikers in Studge/Origi/Ings and 2 guys that have played up there in Firmino and in worst case Mane.

There is a real dearth of quality strikers not only in Ingerland but throughout Europe and in the right system Benteke is a 1:2 striker.

Athletico are looking at him, Chelsea are probably going to need two strikers and CP have already talked about £30 million but the players agent at this time does not want him going there.

This is one of the few time where we are in the drivers seat; we can take our time and sell him for almost what we paid for him; but no there is really zero reason to pay him as a best case scenario for the player is 5th choice striker.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #62: Jun 30, 2016 06:26:38 pm

My worry is whether it's really needed, even if he does start performing. I feel that Benteke is good enough that if he was actually given a consistent run of games in our setup, he could be a great player.

But we've got already got Sturridge, Origi (who was looking very impressive), Ings, Firmino and now Mane who can all play as strikers for us. He's not going to get the consistent game time he needs and we'd be better off letting Origi and Ings get some time when Danny is off - both of whom seem more suited to Klopp's wants. If we could move him for anything over £25m and re-invest that money in other areas of the pitch (LB, CB, and/or CM), then I think that would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Really do love Big Ben though, think he's a top player and an even better professional, always seems to have a smile on his face regardless of the situation.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #63: Jun 30, 2016 07:09:15 pm
      Nope. I didn't think so. Was it 90% of purchase price you meant? I was only quoting £14.5m a loss of 10% which is comparable to Ben. I said I doubt we can even command this price now for Mario. I actually think we'd realistically have to take more than a 10% loss on Mario. So to take a loss of 10% on Ben is good business (drawing comparison between the two loss making deals).

90% ROI is £16m x 1.9 = £30m. Probably the TC's thinking when they first did this Mario deal.

Ma bad. I intended 90%CP. Nevertheless, I would just be happy to keep him off our club's payroll! Forget what we might get. He earns what 80k per week? I fear we'll end up like the Adebayor-City situation.  :'(

Back on topic, Echo providing justifications on why we should stick to the 30m asking price for Big Ben, although looks a bit stretchy, at least provides hope that we'll not be taken to cleaners in transfer deals. Like everyone mentioned, if Palace play to his strengths which they will, he is easily a 20-goal CF!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: Jun 30, 2016 07:28:49 pm
      Would be surprised if we get 30mill for him, but maybe we will. Either way, glad to see us playing some hard ball for a change, not giving in to the first chic that flutters her eyes.

Does Klopp want to keep him? Doubt it. Reckon we'll either get the price, or drag sh*t out until the last minute with whoever is playing silly beggars to get as close as we can. Sure clubs know we want to sell, but there will be clubs out there interested and looking to buy. Personally think anything over 25mill would be fine, really don't see him playing a serious role next season and would much prefer to recoup and reinvest.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #65: Jun 30, 2016 08:31:31 pm
      Selling him for 30m will be a struggle.

Not because I think he's sh*te but the whole world does know we want to move him on so it could be tough to get that much back.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #66: Jun 30, 2016 09:52:49 pm
      All told, I'd be pretty damn happy if we got £25m for Benteke. As chats points out, everyone knows we're looking to sell, he didn't have a good year, etc. We don't have much of a bargaining chip.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Jun 30, 2016 09:56:58 pm
      I read earlier that the club are willing to hold onto him if they don't get at least 30m. It might have been something written by Bascombe though.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #68: Jun 30, 2016 10:02:25 pm
      All told, I'd be pretty damn happy if we got £25m for Benteke. As chats points out, everyone knows we're looking to sell, he didn't have a good year, etc. We don't have much of a bargaining chip.

Mossie, the fact is there are very few strikers available out there in the market today; the fact that the Mancs are going to pay 300k/week to Ibrahimovic who will be 35 years of age in October and has never played in the PL tells you something. Benteke is in his prime and in the right set-up is a 1/2 striker, with today's TV money £30 million is not exactly blackmail.

I think we hold all the chips on this one and towards the end of the window when the panic sets in we can take advantage which in fact is something we seldom do.

He is not going to leave with out the gaffers consent and Jürgen is no mug so hopefully we can start doing smart business from here on out unlike our normal buy/sell at a loss or buy/loan out pay wages scenarios that we have become so proficient at.

Quick Reply