Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Christian Benteke (Chelsea/Crystal Palace/Sunderland)

Read 67656 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Christian Benteke (Chelsea)
      Reply #92: Jul 01, 2016 07:02:59 pm
      It's a bad thing, we need to spend to keep pace.

But we've spent a good couple hundred million in the last couple of summers but still can't keep the pace? You wouldn't think that a team who has spent as much as we have could be so far off, apart from the Mancs of course but they are still closer than that us to keeping the pace

Transfer spending is pointless if you don't sign the right players.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #93: Jul 01, 2016 07:13:15 pm
      I suppose the only positive about us signing Benteke, was that he didn't get the chance to score against us for a change  :gt-happyup: Pity every other f**ker did!  :depressed:

If he does go to Palace, you can bet he'll suddenly become the 1 in 2 goalscorer he was before we signed him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #94: Jul 01, 2016 07:13:24 pm
      But we've spent a good couple hundred million in the last couple of summers but still can't keep the pace? You wouldn't think that a team who has spent as much as we have could be so far off, apart from the Mancs of course but they are still closer than that us to keeping the pace

Transfer spending is pointless if you don't sign the right players.

Bingo, last sentence says  it all. We need to spend and spend wisely.

near zero net spend means we likely aren't spending very wisely (when you take into account how much we've spent in some windows)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #95: Jul 01, 2016 07:13:48 pm
      I suppose the only positive about us signing Benteke, was that he didn't get the chance to score against us for a change  :gt-happyup: Pity every other f**ker did!  :depressed:

If he does go to Palace, you can bet he'll suddenly become the 1 in 2 goalscorer he was before we signed him.

Isn't he still a 1 in 2 scorer even with us?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #96: Jul 01, 2016 07:15:31 pm
      near zero net spend means we likely aren't spending very wisely (when you take into account how much we've spent in some windows)

Conversely if we had a net zero spend and the squad improved as well the league position it would be then considered brilliant work no?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #97: Jul 01, 2016 07:18:29 pm
      True, but he certainly wasn't the beast for us he was will Villa.

Who gives a F**k about net spend if Jürgen ends up with his targets?

Jürgen is certainly the man to find the right players to mold into top players, but I do believe he needs to buy some proven player to get the right mix, and that might mean spending a few quid.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #98: Jul 01, 2016 07:21:19 pm
      Conversely if we had a net zero spend and the squad improved as well the league position it would be then considered brilliant work no?

Sure...good luck with that.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #99: Jul 01, 2016 07:22:47 pm
      Guardian reporting the submitted offer is 25m and we'll reject it, nevertheless we'll arrive at a middle ground to get this over the line.

I'm guessing it'll be 25m plus add-ons.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #100: Jul 01, 2016 07:24:59 pm
      Are you saying this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Would be nice to actually spend some money and show some ambition.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #101: Jul 01, 2016 07:27:06 pm
      Guardian reporting the submitted offer is 25m and we'll reject it, nevertheless we'll arrive at a middle ground to get this over the line.

I'm guessing it'll be 25m plus add-ons.

Surely we're not going to reject 25m for the sake of wanting a couple of million in add-ons. We'll be looking for 30m.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #102: Jul 01, 2016 07:28:34 pm

We can revisit this one next year and see how things worked out.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #103: Jul 01, 2016 07:35:03 pm
      Surely we're not going to reject 25m for the sake of wanting a couple of million in add-ons. We'll be looking for 30m.

Aye! Hope that happens
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #104: Jul 01, 2016 07:35:08 pm

Then we'd be thinking that we could've won the league if we just had some owners who splashed the cash.

But really, a zero net spend?! We act like we'd be losing money as a club if we didn't have one. The perks of being a big club is that we have these huge TV deals, kit deals, ticket revenues, general merchandise sales, league revenues, etc etc etc on such a large scale that if things were done properly, we'd have a lot of money to spend excess of player sales.

It seems like our signings league in terms of who we're bringing in and how much we're willing to spend is in the Crystal Palace and West Ham section, we're nothing like where we should be competing with (Xhaka to Arsenal, Nolito and Gundogan to City, Ibra to Utd, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, Klopp's got most of his men and he's made some very astute signings for decent quality players with good potentials, I'm sure FSG will be very pleased with his business so far. But I think we're one or two well-known first team ready players away from being where we need to be. And I do not think that should be affected by trying to achieve a "zero net spend" whatever that's intended to mean.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #105: Jul 01, 2016 07:41:07 pm
      But I think we're one or two well-known first team ready players away from being where we need to be. And I do not think that should be affected by trying to achieve a "zero net spend" whatever that's intended to mean.
        Quote and Reply

Honest question do you really think Klopp took this job with the idea his first order of business was to make sure there is a zero net spend; conversely if when he took the job he was told there was money to spend and then got told "Sorry no money" he would say nothing?

There is money there we have had the 4th highest net spend in the league the past 5 years...what the manager chooses to do with it is his decision and if we come up a player short because there was a zero net spend it will be on Jürgen.

Then we'd be thinking that we could've won the league if we just had some owners who splashed the cash. But I think we're one or two well-known first team ready players away from being where we need to be.

Think we are a bit farther away then that to be honest but we shall see; that's why the game is played on the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #106: Jul 01, 2016 08:02:15 pm
      We can revisit this one next year and see how things worked out.

Why?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #107: Jul 01, 2016 08:05:28 pm

Why not?

From a discussion standpoint you are looking in the rearview mirror and I am looking in a crystal ball; without either of us knowing what the future would bring it makes an interesting discussion
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #108: Jul 01, 2016 08:10:57 pm
      Bingo, last sentence says  it all. We need to spend and spend wisely.

Sorry but net spend means nothing as far as I am concerned if you are still spending a good 100mill in a summer.
      It's all about spending wisely, Leicester have proven that and they spent barely anything.

Regarding the topic though. Hope the Palace offer gets rejected, could easily get 30mill for him regardless of his current position.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #109: Jul 01, 2016 08:25:56 pm

http://anfieldindex.com/21611/liverpool-goals-scored-without-benteke.html

It's a bit dated and misses the last couple of months of the season (which probably favours Benteke as I don't think he scored many there). It does illustrate how just because he is 1 in 2 doesn't mean it's a good thing for the team.

Sample sizes for us are clearly not ideal but just from memory I don't remember him scoring at a rate of 1 in 2 for starts but his goals as a sub have boosted his goals - minutes ratio so I believe it's arguable from both angles. I would say that more goals are scored at the latter end of a game when you're pushing for a goal than at any other stage in a game I would guess but no doubt that'll be looked at as anti-Benteke bias so I'll just conclude with I'd wish him well, nice bloke, just not nearly good enough imo.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #110: Jul 01, 2016 08:36:10 pm
      http://anfieldindex.com/21611/liverpool-goals-scored-without-benteke.html

It's a bit dated and misses the last couple of months of the season (which probably favours Benteke as I don't think he scored many there). It does illustrate how just because he is 1 in 2 doesn't mean it's a good thing for the team.

Sample sizes for us are clearly not ideal but just from memory I don't remember him scoring at a rate of 1 in 2 for starts but his goals as a sub have boosted his goals - minutes ratio so I believe it's arguable from both angles. I would say that more goals are scored at the latter end of a game when you're pushing for a goal than at any other stage in a game I would guess but no doubt that'll be looked at as anti-Benteke bias so I'll just conclude with I'd wish him well, nice bloke, just not nearly good enough imo.

Yea I didn't make any argument that he's good for us...only that he's still a 1 in 2 scorer. Personally have no attachment, hope he gets a look somewhere that suits him and that he does well as long as it isn't against us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #111: Jul 01, 2016 08:38:13 pm
      Echo saying we've turned down 25m and that we're looking to get our money back for him.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-reject-25m-offer-benteke-11556624#ICID=sharebar_twitter
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #112: Jul 01, 2016 10:04:20 pm

Excellent stuff.  About time the club stood its ground when selling players we have no use for when they're still good players.

Just because he doesn't fit how we want to play doesn't mean he's not going to be an excellent player for a team set up for him.

I hope for his sake he's gets a move and gets his career back on track.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #113: Jul 01, 2016 10:10:18 pm
      Take it that this news means pardew has finally got over that penalty
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #114: Jul 01, 2016 11:15:20 pm

Quick Reply