Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Copa America

Read 44959 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Copa America 2016
      Reply #69: Jun 13, 2016 01:28:26 am
      Christ on a bike.  Haiti really are sh*te.  How did they qualify?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: Jun 13, 2016 04:40:35 am
      Brazil are out after losing to Peru thanks to a hand of God moment.

How do you not get through a group of Peru, Ecuador and Haiti?

At least Phil will be back early.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #71: Jun 13, 2016 05:19:20 am
      Brasil is out!

Good news: Coutinho will have a long rest before he has to come back.

Bad news: he'll have a lot of time to sit around and take calls from other clubs.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #72: Jun 13, 2016 08:03:22 am
      Dunga will get a new contract for that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #73: Jun 13, 2016 08:28:53 am
      Yep.  Can't see anything wrong with that one. <ahem>

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #74: Jun 13, 2016 02:21:34 pm
      The Brasil match is yet another example of the sh*t officiating in the Copa. With the amount of money thats involved in these tournaments you would think they could use replays on all controversial goals. Just laughable. Then he runs around celebrating like he didnt just cheat in front of the WHOLE WORLD. Oh well maybe hell be like Maradonna and talk about how great he is while ignoring the fact he is now one of the 2 biggest cheating assholes in International Football. In case you didnt know I hate Maradonna. Scumbag.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #75: Jun 13, 2016 02:27:23 pm
      Sounds just like Suarez then. Blatantly cheating and then running around delighted at himself...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #76: Jun 13, 2016 03:11:03 pm
       :lmao: 

I shouldn't laugh at Brazil but sometimes you just have to! The time when they were considered a top top football nation is well and truly over.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #77: Jun 13, 2016 03:46:26 pm
      It is hilarious how the mainstream press is still not calling Dunga's head for this! We couldn't get out of a group of Ecuador, Haiti and Peru! :D Yes, Peru's goal was ridiculously illegal but then again we were lucky that an Ecuador goal was ruled out when it was questionable if the ball really went out of the pitch (I think it didn't). We could easily have lost that game then, like we probably should have got a point from the one last night. Still, no goals scored apart from the game against the barely professional Haitian side. What a joke.

Every day Dunga is in charge of the team is a day Brazil loses in trying to become a football power again. It makes absolutely no sense.
      He failed in 2010. The press hated him then - it got to a point he publicly offended a journalist from Brazil's main tv station (Globo) during a press conference in South Africa. He was demonized; he left in shame; people were glad to see the back of him after the World Cup and hopeful that someone could bring back some attacking football after years of counter attacking. (The faith put in Mano Menezes was obviously misplaced, as I could have told you back then. Mano is f**king horrible as well)

Somehow Dunga got back the job. You know, because after losing 7-1 at home, the first action taken by CBF - in what many pointed out to be a major sign of the need to "rethink" things and "rebuild" the Brazilian national team setup - was to appoint the "highly qualified" Gilmar Rinaldi as technical coordinator of the national team (after hanging up his boots, Gilmar had worked as a football agent, his most famous client being the professional role model Adriano). Gilmar was backup goalkeeper in 1994, when Brazil won the WC with Dunga as captain - and he brought back his mate to be Brazil manager once more.

(FYI: between his failure and sacking in the 2010 World Cup, and being re-appointed manager post-2014 World Cup, Dunga managed a football club for the first time; the same where he started his playing career, Internacional. Despite having arguably one of the best squads in the country, he failed, and lost his job to former-goalkeeper-turned-manager Clemer - who would soon lose his job as well.)

So that's the person in charge of "rebuilding" a national team shattered after suffering the biggest humiliation of its history: a defensive midfielder of questionable technique with no managerial experience whose appointment made little sense back in 2006; a manager Brazilian fans hated for his defensive minded tactics and who failed in the 2010 World Cup, largely thanks to his decision to play Felipe Melo despite the fact everyone knew he was a f**king lunatic; a person whose public relation skills (or lack thereof) turned him into a public enemy for the press in 2010; an inexperienced club coach who couldn't keep his job despite having one of the best teams in the country. All of that while displaying the worst fashion sense in world football.

As soon as he got the Brazil job back, one of the first things he did was to appear in Globo's main Sunday programme in a highly edited in-depth interview to make him look like everything he is not: calm, clever, likeable, respectful. From the start it smacked of deception, of CBF working with Globo for questionable ends. I still get this feeling now. If you watched the game in Globo last night, like I did, you would be surprised to hear commentators talking as if Brazil was playing great football but were just unfortunate to lose, and that things were changing for the better now, with excuses being created for Dunga even before the game had ended. It made me want to punch my tv. We just lost to Peru for the first time since the 80's, got knocked out in Copa America group stage (a competition we used to win with our reserves not long ago) and Dunga has been back in charge of the team since 2014 - this is not his first game to "rebuild". In other times, the press would be rightly criticizing Dunga mercilessly to the point where it would be impossible for him to keep his job; but they are not, and it is with great sadness that I'll most likely see his ugly face again in Rio 2016 (though most likely not in the final, for which I got tickets, as I doubt we'll get that far).

So every day Dunga is in charge of the team is also a day I don't want Brazil to win. The sooner he's out, the better.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Jun 13, 2016 06:05:00 pm
      :lmao: 

I shouldn't laugh at Brazil but sometimes you just have to! The time when they were considered a top top football nation is well and truly over.

I remember when I was a nipper and watching the likes of Rivaldo, Cafu, Carlos, Ronaldo etc, then fast forward and watching the likes of Fred and christ knows who else. Even Neymar, who is a fantastic player without question but he just doesn't seem to have that flair to his game some of the greats have had. No longer a giant of football.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #79: Jun 13, 2016 07:20:31 pm
      The thing with Brazil is, can they really complain about the handball goal? Int heir first game, Ecuador had what looked like a legit goal called back. I'm not sure all of the ball was over the line on that play.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #80: Jun 13, 2016 11:20:01 pm
      Calls need to be got right, regardless of who deserves this that or the other.

That's the real story and the real tragedy.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #81: Jun 14, 2016 12:29:42 am
      It is hilarious how the mainstream press is still not calling Dunga's head for this!

Out of interest - how are the fans treating this tournament?   From my limited knowledge it seems a bit of an 'exhibition' tournament in that Chile are the 'Champions' and going to the Confederations Cup etc.

Is it being treated like a regular Copa America?  (Maybe not by Brazilians now you are out - but you get my point)

Is it considered more important because there are more teams and federations?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #82: Jun 14, 2016 01:20:25 am
      I remember when I was a nipper and watching the likes of Rivaldo, Cafu, Carlos, Ronaldo etc, then fast forward and watching the likes of Fred and christ knows who else. Even Neymar, who is a fantastic player without question but he just doesn't seem to have that flair to his game some of the greats have had. No longer a giant of football.

Neymar doesn't hold a candle to Ronaldo. He's brilliant but he's easily the third man of Barca's attack.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #83: Jun 14, 2016 02:13:23 am
      Out of interest - how are the fans treating this tournament?   From my limited knowledge it seems a bit of an 'exhibition' tournament in that Chile are the 'Champions' and going to the Confederations Cup etc.

Is it being treated like a regular Copa America?  (Maybe not by Brazilians now you are out - but you get my point)

Is it considered more important because there are more teams and federations?

So far it seems very competitive and exciting. The stadiums are packed, the supporters are insane, the football itself has been exceptional. I'm very proud of the US supporters. We're making a huge showing and the US team has looked great. I think we have a real shot to win it.  People are talking about the matches and seem to be really interested.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #84: Jun 14, 2016 03:38:51 am
      So far it seems very competitive and exciting. The stadiums are packed, the supporters are insane, the football itself has been exceptional. I'm very proud of the US supporters. We're making a huge showing and the US team has looked great. I think we have a real shot to win it.  People are talking about the matches and seem to be really interested.

Think he was more asking Diego about how Brazil is treating it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #85: Jun 14, 2016 05:23:09 am

I can definitely understand that from the US fans.  I'd imagine it is a lot more exciting than the normal Gold Cups.  I'm wondering if in time there may be a merger between the two federations to make it a little more comparable to the Euro's.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #86: Jun 14, 2016 10:54:31 am
      I can definitely understand that from the US fans.  I'd imagine it is a lot more exciting than the normal Gold Cups.  I'm wondering if in time there may be a merger between the two federations to make it a little more comparable to the Euro's.

I hope so. I'm a firm believer that that the US team will continue to grow and someday compete as a world power. We've seen a remarkable upswing in the talent and overall skill of the national team. Were not at the level of Germany or Spain but we have a good base of skilled players. But, we need to be exposed to European teams. I once heard a few European coaches and players say that you can't outrun or outpace the USMNT. For some reason we have the best conditioned players and if it goes to extra time a team like Italy or Spain are sucking wind and cramping and the US players are good to go. Which tbh I've actually noticed too.  Which I believe is one of the reasons Sturridge was in the US for so long while rehabbing last year and working on his cardio. He was here for a few months to see a sports doctor in NY. He was getting those blood platelet injections and hyperbaric chambers.

MLS is comparable to the English Championship or SPL. What hurts us is distance. The US needs to adopt the European formula and have youth academies instead of High School or College. I would also like to see an MLS side get into the UCL. It would be a huge boost for MLS and attract young stars instead of aged stars looking for a payday and a chance to live in LA or NY. Don't get me wrong MLS is getting better and they have some good matches but it's still a minor league.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #87: Jun 14, 2016 08:19:36 pm
      Diego has got his wish, Dunga has been sacked.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #88: Jun 14, 2016 08:32:39 pm
      Diego has got his wish, Dunga has been sacked.

Surprised they have done that before the Olympics.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #89: Jun 14, 2016 08:38:16 pm
      Surprised they have done that before the Olympics.

Really does not make sense does it?

Who are they going to get in a month's notice that would turn Brazil's fortunes around.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #90: Jun 14, 2016 08:54:45 pm
      Really does not make sense does it?

Who are they going to get in a month's notice that would turn Brazil's fortunes around.
      Ronaldinho  :f_tongueincheek:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #91: Jun 14, 2016 09:04:54 pm
      Our very own Diego could put a better team together than Dunga. 

He might need others to do the coaching bit but he knows his players  ;D

Quick Reply