Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your greatest ever LFC left winger/midfielder

John Barnes
      (75.2%)
      Steve Heighway
      (5.4%)
      Ray Kennedy
      (1.6%)
      Steve McManaman
      (3.1%)
      Billy Liddell
      (9.3%)
      Peter Thompson
      (1.6%)
      Luis Garcia
      (3.9%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Wing

Read 6641 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Wing
      Reply #46: Jul 03, 2016 03:00:31 pm
      F**k but I loved Peter Thompson when I was a kid. Like sheet lightning he was and tricky as F**k... proper old school (not what passes as a winger nowadays)... as was Stevie Heighway and laterly Johnny Barnes who was poetry in motion personified.

I never saw Billy Liddell play but I've never seen the Great Barrier Reef either yet I still know it exists and is 'Great'. A one club man with 228 goals, in under 500 games  :o - in reverence to a true legend - it's Billy Liddell for me.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #47: Jul 03, 2016 03:16:50 pm
      Digger.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #48: Jul 03, 2016 10:37:35 pm
      My old man often repeats to me that Peter Thompson was the quickest thing he's ever seen in a Red shirt.
      Highway was a class crosser of the ball from what looked like impossible angles right on the by-line.
      but for me Barnsey was the complete winger..
      He could run it to the corner flag and then turn and meg a couple of players and put to in the top corner or he could cut inside and run the length of the pitch through the middle like a ballet dancer before smashing it home.
      saw him do it so many times.
      every time he got the ball you just knew something was gonna happen..
      Digger for me..
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #49: Jul 03, 2016 11:21:41 pm
      F**k but I loved Peter Thompson when I was a kid. Like sheet lightning he was and tricky as f**k... proper old school (not what passes as a winger nowadays)... as was Stevie Heighway and laterly Johnny Barnes who was poetry in motion personified.

I never saw Billy Liddell play but I've never seen the Great Barrier Reef either yet I still know it exists and is 'Great'. A one club man with 228 goals, in under 500 games  :o - in reverence to a true legend - it's Billy Liddell for me.

Billy Liddell certainly deserves all the accolades,what people should realise is that he had a very hard shot which in the days of the old leather footballs was incredible.To my mind there will only ever be one Billy Liddell and I count myself lucky to have seen him play so many games for our REDS.One other thing Billy lost 6 years out of his foootballing life due to the 2nd world war,his goals record would of been incredible if it were not for that war.
                                                         I would like to point that Billy Liddell was selected for a Great Britain team to play the Rest of Europe twice,that should give an indication of just how good the man was.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016 08:35:45 am by Billy1, Reason: addition to post »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Jul 04, 2016 12:08:21 am
      Not old enough to see Billy Liddle,nor Peter Thompson, I can remember Steve Heighway but only on the tv, but I did see John Barnes in his pomp and he was indeed a joy to watch and in fact I feel very priveledged to have seen him play, it's brilliant that we hear our fans sing 'poetry in motion' cos it's Digger who I think of when I hear it, he didn't run he glided, he was blessed wasn't he, even when injury forced him into midfield he was immense, his footballing brain was similar to Kenny, he knew moves before anyone else,
      Not only was he a brilliant footballer he is also a stand up human being and a fantastic embassador for LFC, he can't sing for sh*t tho  ;D   that's a Wrap.

YNWA
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #51: Jul 04, 2016 12:12:36 am
      The one position where I didn't have a decision to ponder. John Barnes by a country mile, my very first football idol. Nothing the bloke couldn't do. Genius.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1632 
      Reply #52: Jul 04, 2016 06:48:42 am
      After a bit of research and much pondering I chose Liddell in my line up not an easy choice so much wanted digger in , but it's trophys we after , and my team so far has panache grit and goals just oozing out of it .
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016 04:15:37 pm by andylfcynwa »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #53: Jul 04, 2016 12:31:21 pm

After a bit of research and much pondering I chose Lidell in my line up not an easy choice so much wanted digger in , but it's trophys we after , and my team so far has panache grit and goals just oozing out of it .

And spelling mistakes   :f_tongueincheek:

YNWA
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #54: Jul 04, 2016 04:11:56 pm
      Would have loved to see Liddell play as sounds like a Stevie of his generation.
      Has to be Barnes for me, could fly down the wing with pace and several tricks up his sleeve, leaving most fullbacks for dead. Paved the way for players like Zola; having complete control of the situation, when the ball was within a 5 meter radius of his feet.

While unrelated to his abilities or this poll for that matter, his composure dealing with the racist bigotry of the time should not be forgotten.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016 04:24:16 pm by Benito »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1632 
      Reply #55: Jul 04, 2016 04:20:28 pm
      Thats posting in the car on the way to work for ya , and no I wasn't driving passenger this week mistake corrected  cheers Billy
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #56: Jul 04, 2016 04:29:46 pm
      Would have loved to see Liddell play as sounds like a Stevie of his generation.

When LFC did that greatest ever player thing I'm sure he was in the top five or just outside of all time players.  Given that there is hardly any footage of him playing that suggests he must have been one hell of a player.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #57: Jul 04, 2016 07:01:50 pm
      Gone for Barnes, although admire Thompson & Heighway going down the wing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: Jul 04, 2016 07:45:58 pm
      I'm abstaining from this one. Barnes was sublime. Idolised him. But Ray Kennedy was some player a much different style to Barnsey. Doubt anyone on the forum was alive to see Billy Liddell but the team wasn't called Liddellpool for nothing, 200 plus goals as a winger 😧 . All of them worthy so I won't chose between them. Right wing is easier
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #59: Jul 04, 2016 10:29:35 pm
      I'm abstaining from this one. Barnes was sublime. Idolised him. But Ray Kennedy was some player a much different style to Barnsey. Doubt anyone on the forum was alive to see Billy Liddell but the team wasn't called Liddellpool for nothing, 200 plus goals as a winger 😧 . All of them worthy so I won't chose between them. Right wing is easier

Billy Liddell did not only play left wing,he could and did play in all 5 forward line positions.By the way he retired in 1961.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #60: Jul 05, 2016 03:30:08 am
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #61: Jul 05, 2016 09:49:47 am
      Obviously Barnes. I loved Luis Garcia but how anyone could consider him one of Liverpools greatest wingers is beyond me. So inconsistent, so frustrating at times.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #62: Jul 05, 2016 09:51:23 am

Embassador is actually an older spelling of the word ambassador and is still commonly seen so much so that it still holds a place in the dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/embassador

So...

This is awkward
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #63: Jul 05, 2016 09:54:18 am
      Embassador is actually an older spelling of the word ambassador and is still commonly seen so much so that it still holds a place in the dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/embassador

So...

This is awkward

It's also an incredibly nerdy argument.

Also, wasn't Garcia more of a right sided winger?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #64: Jul 05, 2016 10:07:05 am
      It's also an incredibly nerdy argument.

Also, wasn't Garcia more of a right sided winger?

Garcia was certainly on the right wing when he scored that goal against Chelsea,the one Mourinho reckoned never crossed the line.But Rafa said it certainly crossed the line.Another fine night at Anfield.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #65: Jul 05, 2016 01:04:57 pm
      Has to be barnes.

But I LOVED Patrick Berger growing up.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #66: Jul 05, 2016 01:24:03 pm
      very tough, as I love barnes and macca.

But Steve Heighway every time, he was such massive part of so many winning teams.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #67: Jul 05, 2016 04:54:58 pm
      Barnes on the Left Ray Kennedy on the right - what a vision

Quick Reply