Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W14 D5 L3

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 88500 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,151 posts | 3765 
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #630: Sep 12, 2014 10:36:53 pm
      Used to be an iPhone fanboy myself.  As someone who uses a couple of Macs for work - integration was a positive feature although it has been obliterated in recent years.

I always used to get the biggest memory I could - although I'm very surprised people are still shelling out for 64Gb versions.  With the huge increases in home broadband speeds, network speeds, cloud storage I'm struggling to see why 'most' people would need anything bigger than the 16Gb.  But it's your money - spend as you will. 

People do realise that 24 month contracts are finance to buy the phone right?  I've got an unlimited data plan on my mobile for £12 a month so if I was getting the phone I'd buy it outright and throw that sim in.

RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #631: Sep 18, 2014 11:08:41 am
      I have a 16Gb iPhone5.

If I want to install the new iOS8, I have to delete over 25% of my content.

This makes no sense at all.

Plus there are some privacy issues highlighted here.

http://www.zdnet.com/seven-privacy-settings-you-should-change-immediately-in-ios-8-7000033598/

I have not read it all, but these firms need to know we need privacy, and they need to stop stealing our data.

I'm not rushing to update.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,866 posts | 96 
      Reply #632: Sep 18, 2014 11:38:03 am
      I have a 16Gb iPhone5.

If I want to install the new iOS8, I have to delete over 25% of my content.

This makes no sense at all.

Plus there are some privacy issues highlighted here.

http://www.zdnet.com/seven-privacy-settings-you-should-change-immediately-in-ios-8-7000033598/

I have not read it all, but these firms need to know we need privacy, and they need to stop stealing our data.

I'm not rushing to update.

Download it on your computer mate, then you don't have to delete any storage
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      Reply #633: Sep 18, 2014 12:00:52 pm
      Download it on your computer mate, then you don't have to delete any storage

Cheers, may try that when iOS8.1 comes out, won't be long I'm sure.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,228 posts | 2959 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #634: Sep 18, 2014 04:56:40 pm
      Must admit, I was planning on getting the 6+. Have a Blackberry at the moment (huge mistake and never again!!).
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #635: Sep 19, 2014 10:29:50 am
      Must admit, I was planning on getting the 6+. Have a Blackberry at the moment (huge mistake and never again!!).

No, wait for the Note 4 (or even the Note Edge!). Far superior in every way, screen size, resolution, specs and even build quality now. Samsung have revamped their devices starting with the Galaxy Alpha and the quality has moved on to their flagship phones. It looks amazing, and is out in early October.

Note 4:

Note Edge:

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,369 posts | 2199 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #636: Sep 19, 2014 12:37:17 pm
      No, wait for the Note 4 (or even the Note Edge!). Far superior in every way, screen size, resolution, specs and even build quality now. Samsung have revamped their devices starting with the Galaxy Alpha and the quality has moved on to their flagship phones. It looks amazing, and is out in early October.

Note 4:

Note Edge:

VERY nice.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,412 posts | 1861 
      Reply #637: Sep 19, 2014 05:24:41 pm
      That Note Edge looks awesome Res.

When's it due out?
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #638: Sep 19, 2014 05:33:22 pm
      That Note Edge looks awesome Res.

When's it due out?

Early October. I think it's the 18th in the US and 11th here.

But yeah it does look awesome. Thinking about getting one myself on a separate contract.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,412 posts | 1861 
      Reply #639: Sep 19, 2014 05:54:06 pm

But yeah it does look awesome. Thinking about getting one myself on a separate contract.

Glad now I didn't take an early upgrade.

But still pleased with my Moto G so not sure if I'll go for a new phone or stay contract free for a while.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,007 posts | 25 
      Reply #640: Sep 19, 2014 07:08:49 pm
      Anyone have any experience with Sony Experia z2?

I've had mine a week now and it literally pisses on the Iphone.
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,821 posts | 1498 
      Reply #641: Sep 19, 2014 07:23:44 pm

What a weird app!

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,331 posts | 291 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #642: Sep 20, 2014 01:50:26 am
      Still using the Note 3 and love it.

If I was to have my pick of the phones at the moment I'd be taking out a HTC M8. Best of the bunch in my opinion.
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,821 posts | 1498 
      Reply #643: Sep 20, 2014 01:25:36 pm
      Well, you were told your iPhones/pads were coming this morning, stop phoning me and saying can the driver come back because you decided popping out for 15 minutes was a bright idea. See you Monday.....maybe.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,151 posts | 3765 
      Reply #644: Sep 22, 2014 10:18:42 pm

Heard plenty of good things so much so that I've just ordered the Z3 which is due out next Monday (I've had ongoing problems with my S4 since getting it drenched out on a run!!).  Was going to get the Z2 but seen the Z3 on a special offer for only a fiver more.

Hopefully last me a couple of years.

If I was to have my pick of the phones at the moment I'd be taking out a HTC M8. Best of the bunch in my opinion.

It was a toss up between that and the Z3. Camera was the clincher for me though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,989 posts | 2282 
      Reply #645: Sep 24, 2014 03:09:56 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,781 posts | 1591 
      Reply #646: Sep 24, 2014 03:21:27 pm

I've got the z2 compact, apart from the scratching, which is fixable apparently it is absolutely brilliant, superb battery life.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #647: Dec 15, 2014 12:00:03 pm
      Have had iphones since the 4 and now have a 5c, Useless things.
      The batterys lifespan is 5 hours at best.
      The layout and navigation is perfect, its just the lagging and poor battery lifespan that ruins it for me.

Whats the point in having a phone when its dead half the time?
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      Reply #648: Dec 15, 2014 01:03:08 pm
      Have had iphones since the 4 and now have a 5c, Useless things.
      The batterys lifespan is 5 hours at best.
      The layout and navigation is perfect, its just the lagging and poor battery lifespan that ruins it for me.

Whats the point in having a phone when its dead half the time?

You have probably got too many apps running, brightness too high, push data switched on, and other systems running full belt.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #649: Jul 04, 2015 10:13:34 am

Well, decided against that and waited to early upgrade to an S6 Edge on a 12 month back in April.

F***ing delighted with that choice! Samsung have really come into their own recently. Nobody can touch them.

On a side-note, if anybody has any issues with their phones (technical or physical) - don't hesitate to PM me. Free advice is always good, right? ;)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #650: Aug 14, 2015 11:32:12 pm
      Hate mac products so I won't be getting one.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #651: Aug 15, 2015 07:53:12 pm
      Hate mac products so I won't be getting one.

A wise decision.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,211 posts | 1795 
      Reply #652: Aug 20, 2015 04:00:20 pm
      Although a love the idea that everything is synced, if you change your PC and don't get the data transfer right, you're screwed.

The 'Genius's' are not that smart, and takes forever to see anyone who is supposed to know how to sort problems out.

For me the 6 is just bigger than the 5, nothing really new of revolutionary, so now that Samsung do not sponsor the Chavs, I will be jumping ship.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,896 posts | 2741 
      Reply #653: Aug 20, 2015 04:15:57 pm
      Have had a iMac for years and now with the family having multiple iPads around the house a iPhone just makes sense to me.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #654: Aug 25, 2015 11:53:47 am
      Have had a iMac for years and now with the family having multiple iPads around the house a iPhone just makes sense to me.

A lot of people fall into that mindset. It's "easier" to stay with Apple than it is to transition out, right? Well, not really.

You can easily sync your Apple content with Android devices now using apps from the Play Store, and Samsung have brought out a lightning to micro-USB cable that makes transferring data easy.

In addition, with Apple you only get a 12-month warranty for a 24-month contract. Plus you're paying a massive premium monthly (or one-off) for a not-so-premium device.

I've switched so many people now from iOS to Android and they've never looked back.

Also, Skype > Facetime.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,896 posts | 2741 
      Reply #655: Aug 25, 2015 11:57:54 am
      A lot of people fall into that mindset. It's "easier" to stay with Apple than it is to transition out, right? Well, not really.

You can easily sync your Apple content with Android devices now using apps from the Play Store, and Samsung have brought out a lightning to micro-USB cable that makes transferring data easy.

In addition, with Apple you only get a 12-month warranty for a 24-month contract. Plus you're paying a massive premium monthly (or one-off) for a not-so-premium device.

I've switched so many people now from iOS to Android and they've never looked back.

Also, Skype > Facetime.

I'm sure your right mate but with a work ipad and phone it's easy for me, you tech savvy boys have it easy  :)

Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #656: Aug 25, 2015 12:03:15 pm
      I'm sure your right mate but with a work ipad and phone it's easy for me, you tech savvy boys have it easy  :)

I know mate, it's not easy to switch. Just hate seeing people overpay for garbage.

United fans feel the same way when buying their shirts, I'm sure.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,167 posts | 299 
      Reply #657: Aug 25, 2015 12:08:16 pm
      The non expandable memory in iPhone is the worst thing.My sister has one and  its OS takes too much space IMO.

If you are basically buying a flagship device then expandable memory is a must.

Personally prefer HTC one flagship or One Plus  as a cheaper alternative to flagship.iPhone is too over priced IMO.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,468 posts | 506 
      Reply #658: Aug 25, 2015 12:33:59 pm
      If you are basically buying a flagship device then expandable memory is a must.

Not really. The cloud options are easier and more secure ways to retrieve files, I'll give them that. SD cards are being phased out quickly by most manufacturers now, due to the benefits of cloud storage.

The problem with the iOS is that each update stores the previous version on the phone, too. There's no way to gain that original space back unless you factory reset your phone, which you shouldn't have to do. Android, by comparison, simply updates and then deletes the old version.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,167 posts | 299 
      Reply #659: Aug 25, 2015 03:51:40 pm
      Not really. The cloud options are easier and more secure ways to retrieve files, I'll give them that. SD cards are being phased out quickly by most manufacturers now, due to the benefits of cloud storage.

The problem with the iOS is that each update stores the previous version on the phone, too. There's no way to gain that original space back unless you factory reset your phone, which you shouldn't have to do. Android, by comparison, simply updates and then deletes the old version.
      Cloud storage requires a sufficient amount of Internet bandwidth which unfortunately is pretty sh*t in my country.

Hence here i would rather prefer an expandable storage slot instead of cloud storage.

And for other reasons too i would prefer an Android.iOS has more restrictions that isn't suited to my use.

Quick Reply