Trending Topics

Next match: Sporting v LFC [Friendly] Thu 25th Jul @ 1:05 am
      Yankee Stadium, New York, USA

Today is the 22nd of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D2 L2

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 90288 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #650: Aug 14, 2015 11:32:12 pm
      Hate mac products so I won't be getting one.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #651: Aug 15, 2015 07:53:12 pm
      Hate mac products so I won't be getting one.

A wise decision.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,377 posts | 1929 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #652: Aug 20, 2015 04:00:20 pm
      Although a love the idea that everything is synced, if you change your PC and don't get the data transfer right, you're screwed.

The 'Genius's' are not that smart, and takes forever to see anyone who is supposed to know how to sort problems out.

For me the 6 is just bigger than the 5, nothing really new of revolutionary, so now that Samsung do not sponsor the Chavs, I will be jumping ship.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3027 
      Reply #653: Aug 20, 2015 04:15:57 pm
      Have had a iMac for years and now with the family having multiple iPads around the house a iPhone just makes sense to me.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #654: Aug 25, 2015 11:53:47 am
      Have had a iMac for years and now with the family having multiple iPads around the house a iPhone just makes sense to me.

A lot of people fall into that mindset. It's "easier" to stay with Apple than it is to transition out, right? Well, not really.

You can easily sync your Apple content with Android devices now using apps from the Play Store, and Samsung have brought out a lightning to micro-USB cable that makes transferring data easy.

In addition, with Apple you only get a 12-month warranty for a 24-month contract. Plus you're paying a massive premium monthly (or one-off) for a not-so-premium device.

I've switched so many people now from iOS to Android and they've never looked back.

Also, Skype > Facetime.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3027 
      Reply #655: Aug 25, 2015 11:57:54 am
      A lot of people fall into that mindset. It's "easier" to stay with Apple than it is to transition out, right? Well, not really.

You can easily sync your Apple content with Android devices now using apps from the Play Store, and Samsung have brought out a lightning to micro-USB cable that makes transferring data easy.

In addition, with Apple you only get a 12-month warranty for a 24-month contract. Plus you're paying a massive premium monthly (or one-off) for a not-so-premium device.

I've switched so many people now from iOS to Android and they've never looked back.

Also, Skype > Facetime.

I'm sure your right mate but with a work ipad and phone it's easy for me, you tech savvy boys have it easy  :)

Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #656: Aug 25, 2015 12:03:15 pm
      I'm sure your right mate but with a work ipad and phone it's easy for me, you tech savvy boys have it easy  :)

I know mate, it's not easy to switch. Just hate seeing people overpay for garbage.

United fans feel the same way when buying their shirts, I'm sure.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 374 
      Reply #657: Aug 25, 2015 12:08:16 pm
      The non expandable memory in iPhone is the worst thing.My sister has one and  its OS takes too much space IMO.

If you are basically buying a flagship device then expandable memory is a must.

Personally prefer HTC one flagship or One Plus  as a cheaper alternative to flagship.iPhone is too over priced IMO.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #658: Aug 25, 2015 12:33:59 pm
      If you are basically buying a flagship device then expandable memory is a must.

Not really. The cloud options are easier and more secure ways to retrieve files, I'll give them that. SD cards are being phased out quickly by most manufacturers now, due to the benefits of cloud storage.

The problem with the iOS is that each update stores the previous version on the phone, too. There's no way to gain that original space back unless you factory reset your phone, which you shouldn't have to do. Android, by comparison, simply updates and then deletes the old version.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 374 
      Reply #659: Aug 25, 2015 03:51:40 pm
      Not really. The cloud options are easier and more secure ways to retrieve files, I'll give them that. SD cards are being phased out quickly by most manufacturers now, due to the benefits of cloud storage.

The problem with the iOS is that each update stores the previous version on the phone, too. There's no way to gain that original space back unless you factory reset your phone, which you shouldn't have to do. Android, by comparison, simply updates and then deletes the old version.
      Cloud storage requires a sufficient amount of Internet bandwidth which unfortunately is pretty sh*t in my country.

Hence here i would rather prefer an expandable storage slot instead of cloud storage.

And for other reasons too i would prefer an Android.iOS has more restrictions that isn't suited to my use.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #660: Sep 09, 2015 08:23:53 pm
      People. Don't.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,284 posts | 3326 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #661: Sep 09, 2015 08:28:21 pm
      Well, decided against that and waited to early upgrade to an S6 Edge on a 12 month back in April.

F***ing delighted with that choice! Samsung have really come into their own recently. Nobody can touch them.

On a side-note, if anybody has any issues with their phones (technical or physical) - don't hesitate to PM me. Free advice is always good, right? ;)

I've got the S6 Edge as well Res and what a fine piece of equipment it is.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #662: Sep 09, 2015 08:55:25 pm
      I've got the S6 Edge as well Res and what a fine piece of equipment it is.

I love it. Loooove it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,819 posts | 3425 
      Reply #663: Sep 21, 2015 07:04:53 pm

You can just delete your backup that's on your phone.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 103 
      Reply #664: Oct 26, 2015 12:13:48 pm
      Bump.

I put my S6 Edge through my business and at the same time my wife upgraded her iPhone 6 to the 6s.  Mainly because it is pink (Rose Gold?)

I fail to see what any of the "improvements" do in all honestly.  You press it harder and it pops into something.

Hardly game changing.

And I'm not a bitter Android fan, this is the first Samsung I have ever owned.  I have an Mac Pro and obviously love my iPad.

They are being out Apple'd by Samsung currently.  The machining on the S6 Edge is beautiful.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,819 posts | 3425 
      Reply #665: Oct 26, 2015 01:33:10 pm
      Bump.

I put my S6 Edge through my business and at the same time my wife upgraded her iPhone 6 to the 6s.  Mainly because it is pink (Rose Gold?)

I fail to see what any of the "improvements" do in all honestly.  You press it harder and it pops into something.

Hardly game changing.

And I'm not a bitter Android fan, this is the first Samsung I have ever owned.  I have an Mac Pro and obviously love my iPad.

They are being out Apple'd by Samsung currently.  The machining on the S6 Edge is beautiful.

Give your Samsung about 12 months and then you will start hating it. Have a couple of friends and they loved theirs until about 8-12 months in. One is now on iPhone (his first, he was always Android) and the other is thinking about going back to an iPhone.

I started in Android (HTC) 3 phones back, like it till about 18 months and then couldn't wait to get rid of it. I'm a Windows guy too, no Apple fanboy here, I strongly dislike Mac OSX. But as for phones, I like iOS and have been nothing but happy with my last and current iPhones.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,750 posts | 1878 
      Reply #666: Oct 26, 2015 01:42:59 pm
      I really like android phones but it pisses me off that they are designed to go slow after about 10 months, prompting an upgrade.
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,973 posts | 1584 
      Reply #667: Oct 26, 2015 01:47:46 pm
      Apart from an HTC, I've never had this dying 18 months in problem. Never stuck with a brand or even a service provider, always look for the best deal for me and this time may be the first time I''ll go sim only.  My note 3 shows no sign of dying and does what I need it to do, though lots of apps I've never even opened.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #668: Oct 26, 2015 04:29:10 pm
      Give your Samsung about 12 months and then you will start hating it. Have a couple of friends and they loved theirs until about 8-12 months in. One is now on iPhone (his first, he was always Android) and the other is thinking about going back to an iPhone.

I started in Android (HTC) 3 phones back, like it till about 18 months and then couldn't wait to get rid of it. I'm a Windows guy too, no Apple fanboy here, I strongly dislike Mac OSX. But as for phones, I like iOS and have been nothing but happy with my last and current iPhones.

iPhones are defective sometimes too, plus they don't have the warranty to protect them past the initial 12 months, whereas Android phones have a warranty for the length of the 24 month contracts.

I have helped and served many, many people who have owned a Samsung. I think I've had one serious complaint about the OS slowing down due to faulty hardware and that was dealt with by our repair center. They received a free replacement phone, which you wouldn't get with Apple as they were 16 months into their contract.

In fact, people have actually wanted their iPhones repaired as the buttons were knackered, the speakers went, the software fu**ed up - and I had to tell them that Apple don't cover the phones after a year so they're stuck with it. They now mostly want to switch to Android.

In addition, hundreds of people have switched from iOS to Android based on my recommendation, and they've all been happy with the move - either that, or they're all too pissed off to come back and bite my head off. Either/or.

What exactly was it that your friends hated about their Samsung devices?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,819 posts | 3425 
      Reply #669: Oct 26, 2015 04:58:59 pm
      iPhones are defective sometimes too, plus they don't have the warranty to protect them past the initial 12 months, whereas Android phones have a warranty for the length of the 24 month contracts.

I have helped and served many, many people who have owned a Samsung. I think I've had one serious complaint about the OS slowing down due to faulty hardware and that was dealt with by our repair center. They received a free replacement phone, which you wouldn't get with Apple as they were 16 months into their contract.

In fact, people have actually wanted their iPhones repaired as the buttons were knackered, the speakers went, the software fu**ed up - and I had to tell them that Apple don't cover the phones after a year so they're stuck with it. They now mostly want to switch to Android.

In addition, hundreds of people have switched from iOS to Android based on my recommendation, and they've all been happy with the move - either that, or they're all too pissed off to come back and bite my head off. Either/or.

What exactly was it that your friends hated about their Samsung devices?

Just random flakiness, blue screen type hardware errors, slowness, battery issues, although you can at least replace the batteries easily unlike iPhones. On my HTC once I upgraded to the newest OS my phone would just randomly slow down, throw errors, etc....

I like the backup process for iPhones as well, it's pretty simple and pretty reliable. And being in IT Security, iPhones aren't near as prone to hacking as Android devices although I'd wager that I put more emphasis on that than normal users would.
      Reslivo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,477 posts | 514 
      Reply #670: Oct 26, 2015 05:27:44 pm
      Just random flakiness, blue screen type hardware errors, slowness, battery issues, although you can at least replace the batteries easily unlike iPhones. On my HTC once I upgraded to the newest OS my phone would just randomly slow down, throw errors, etc....

I like the backup process for iPhones as well, it's pretty simple and pretty reliable. And being in IT Security, iPhones aren't near as prone to hacking as Android devices although I'd wager that I put more emphasis on that than normal users would.

Yeah sometimes you'll get that although it can happen with any device. iPhones are definitely not immune to slowing down due to software.

Backing up is just as easy with your Google account. All you have to do is login through WiFi and it's done. Just like iCloud. Also, if you delete your photos by mistake then Google will store backups for 30 days.

Android OS will have more backdoors as it's essentially open-source and devs can code it to their own liking. Sometimes that's the price you pay for customisability (that's now a word, Chrome...). Mind you, remember the iCloud debacle? User data & content leaked. Nothing that severe has happened with Google.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,866 posts | 2122 
      Reply #671: Nov 24, 2015 10:38:52 pm
      Phone wise I'm an Android user and always have been simply because I've always found you get a better phone for your money on Android.

Having said that I do use iPod for my music and after having an old Nano for a while now I've taken the plunge and bought a new iPod Touch today with some money gave to me for my birthday and Xmas.

Now I know some people will find it weird having a separate device for calls and music but I've always been like this and after only an hour or so with the new touch I can say it's a fantastic bit of kit.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2015 11:20:36 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,819 posts | 3425 
      Reply #672: Nov 24, 2015 11:13:21 pm
      Yeah sometimes you'll get that although it can happen with any device. iPhones are definitely not immune to slowing down due to software.

Backing up is just as easy with your Google account. All you have to do is login through WiFi and it's done. Just like iCloud. Also, if you delete your photos by mistake then Google will store backups for 30 days.

Android OS will have more backdoors as it's essentially open-source and devs can code it to their own liking. Sometimes that's the price you pay for customisability (that's now a word, Chrome...). Mind you, remember the iCloud debacle? User data & content leaked. Nothing that severe has happened with Google.

Yea, the iCloud debacle wasn't really one though. Someone got into people's accounts due to weak passwords (if that's the one you are referring to). That's a whole lot different than having a vulnerability that the vendor doesn't fix. They can't force people to have good passwords. Or as I like to say in my line of work....you can't patch stupid.

;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,819 posts | 3425 
      Reply #673: Nov 24, 2015 11:15:18 pm
      Phone wise I'm an Android user and always have been simply because I've always found you get a better phone for you're money on Android.

This would raise an interesting topic of discussion. I would actually say that you get more for your money with an iPhone because after 2 years, the device still has a pretty high residual value if you want to outright sell it to one of the many resellers. When I went from my 4S to the 6, I got $200 for my old phone which basically all but paid off my new device. Now I haven't had an Android in awhile, but I don't ever recall getting that kind of a deal for a 2.5 year old Android device. 
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,866 posts | 2122 
      Reply #674: Nov 24, 2015 11:24:01 pm
      This would raise an interesting topic of discussion. I would actually say that you get more for your money with an iPhone because after 2 years, the device still has a pretty high residual value if you want to outright sell it to one of the many resellers. When I went from my 4S to the 6, I got $200 for my old phone which basically all but paid off my new device. Now I haven't had an Android in awhile, but I don't ever recall getting that kind of a deal for a 2.5 year old Android device. 

Interesting point FL and I have no real way of debating the point though as I never end up selling my old phone as I've either gave it to a family member or broken it before upgrade.

I'm sure a top end android like a S6 would hold good value though and I think costs less over the life of a contract than an iPhone.

Quick Reply